Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Hockey Quebec Peewee and Bantam AAA

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2013, 10:20 PM
Hockey RUS

vCash: 500
Many strong players in private schools wil not play AAA or AA.

Watch and see. Whatever the cost for the elite level at some point it is not worth it to endanger an education. AAA AA hurts kids academically.

You will lose alot of good talent and depth in aaa AA.

Old
07-31-2013, 11:31 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

This is all loads of garbage...

You're all hoping that kids will drop out cause you're kids weren't invited.

This is LSL, parents will pay it.

The Academics will be taken care of, it's not like they're playing away games far from home on week nights.

Old
08-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Stamingia
Rookie User

I agree with Hockey RUS. This is not a load of garbage. And this has nothing to do with $$$$. Yes we are in LSL and parents have a few more bucks. We are also in the LSL where core values say that education comes first. Most schools offer hockey ( very competitive hockey I might add) at no cost to the tuition fee. That is pretty hard to beat in terms of getting a good bang for your buck. If your intent is to get a scholarship to the US, then HSH is the way to go. You need to ask yourself, where is PWAAA going to take you? Lots of sacrifice...ie. schedule , travel, money, etc..involved ..lots of questions to be answered.

Old
08-01-2013, 09:31 AM
InfoSeeker

I know many parents opting out of PWAAA/AA. It may attract the Top 5or6 kids but team depth will be a challenge as many good 2nd year PW players will simply not take a chance in messing up their 1st year in High School because they are on the ice 7 days a week and travelling all over QC. Not to mention that no one has any idea of costs involved. I have heard as low as $1500 and as high as $6000 but have heard nothing official from anyone at SIL or LSL or GG or whoever is in charge. Also, that 2002 kid is definitely good enough to make PWAAA in LSL South. He played full contact AAA this spring with a 2001 D1 team and still dominated. He can compete with the best 2001s hands down.

Old
08-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Hockey RUS

I already know of pw and bantam kids who got invites who will say no. Again, maybe not first line players but certainly of elite calibre.

My son applies to high schools next year and if he can get into a private, it is a no brainer.people should not underestimate the quality of high school training.

What concerns me is the high costs and the same group of trainers lurking in the background who will get some nice business out of this.

Old
08-01-2013, 10:56 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Most of you don't even know the guidelines behind the league.

High school Peewee hockey doesn't touch AAA/AA.

If parents still opt for midget AAA, I'm sure they'll still opt for Peewee and Bantam AAA.

You've all made assumptions about the league... You don't know anything.

This wasn't put together over night.

You're kids aren't playing 40 games like you think so...

You're making all these baseless assumptions, do the Midget AAA Lions play all their games on week nights ? The play 5 a year or less in the middle of the week on a school night...

Again you're just hoping for the best because its clear you're kids didn't get invited.

High school training doesn't touch SIL.

Last edited by IHaveNoCreativity: 08-01-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old
08-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Rekus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post

If parents still opt for midget AAA, I'm sure they'll still opt for Peewee and Bantam AAA.

You're kids are playing 40 games like you think so...

You're making all these baseless assumptions, do the Midget AAA Lions play all their games on week nights ? The play 5 a year or less in the middle of the week on a school night...

Again you're just hoping for the best because its clear you're kids didn't get invited.

High school training doesn't touch SIL.
I agree with this 100%.
The whole point of AAA is to have the best play against the best. Hopefully,no more 2nd and 3rd liners that should be playing CC.
Get real, High School hockey in Quebec right now cannot touch AAA or prior years AA. 5 AAs were allowed in GMAA last year and before. The rest were BB CC and some high level A. I know - my son played both AA and GMAA for the last 3 years.

Old
08-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Popsicle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by proam16 View Post
I agree with this 100%.
The whole point of AAA is to have the best play against the best. Hopefully,no more 2nd and 3rd liners that should be playing CC.
Get real, High School hockey in Quebec right now cannot touch AAA or prior years AA. 5 AAs were allowed in GMAA last year and before. The rest were BB CC and some high level A. I know - my son played both AA and GMAA for the last 3 years.
There will still be some talent that doesn't belong, do you think that only 1 or 2 DDO players will be on the roster? Do you actually believe that? Sure DDO will allow that.....

Old
08-01-2013, 11:59 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by proam16 View Post
I agree with this 100%.
I coached a kid who played Peewee A and made JRHS's Peewee team... Granted he should of made CC, and maybe BB given how weak his city is.

Parents want what's best.. Geuss what, AAA is the best simple as that.

GMAA is CC caliber. The weak schools have B kids playing for them... The top schools get a few BB's...

It's not a contest, if it were JRHS'S wouldn't be walkin through the RESQ league which is a higher caliber then GMAA.

Old
08-01-2013, 12:01 PM
PassiveObserver

Has anyone seen this? The guys at PWAAA North have a website going already:

http://www.leaguelineup.com/lionsnorthpeeweeaaa

They are on the ball!!!

Old
08-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Mrknowitall

[QUOTE=IHaveNoCreativity;69829961]Most of you don't even know the guidelines behind the league.

You are right I know nothing about this league... most of us reading this forum know nothing since no info has officially been given.

What I do know is that at their last meeting GMAA said that as it stands they will not let AAA kids play for their association, they would also review their policy for AA players (given the changes with HQ). They are waiting until the fall and until they have the exact demands of the AA/AAA program to make a final decision.

Some good players (who played peewee BB and CC last year) were accepted at these schools based on the fact that they will play school hockey. If they do choose to play AAA they will probably lose their scholarships.

I am curious to hear from parents in this situation... Do you sacrifice your kid's education for AAA hockey?

By the way no one is disputing that for now community hockey is still stronger than school hockey. The question is what will happen if all those parents decide to pick education over hockey????

Old
08-01-2013, 12:20 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

[QUOTE=Mrknowitall;69832203]
Quote:

You are right I know nothing about this league... most of us reading this forum know nothing since no info has officially been given.

What I do know is that at their last meeting GMAA said that as it stands they will not let AAA kids play for their association, they would also review their policy for AA players (given the changes with HQ). They are waiting until the fall and until they have the exact demands of the AA/AAA program to make a final decision.

Some good players (who played peewee BB and CC last year) were accepted at these schools based on the fact that they will play school hockey. If they do choose to play AAA they will probably lose their scholarships.

I am curious to hear from parents in this situation... Do you sacrifice your kid's education for AAA hockey?

By the way no one is disputing that for now community hockey is still stronger than school hockey. The question is what will happen if all those parents decide to pick education over hockey????
The ones who can afford AAA are the ones who can afford the private schools.

I've seen a few here saying its competitive... It's really not, the same teams win it every year. It's 3-4 horses.

Old
08-01-2013, 03:56 PM
InfoSeeker

I guess things will play out in the next few weeks.
LSL South invite deadline is Aug 4th.

My guess is PWAAA LSLS will be missing some very good players but will have enough of the Top 10 players to probably compete. Goaltending and Defence will still be a big challenge though. What I don't understand is why everything is so "hush hush"? They could have had a parent meeting over the summer to help inform parents but chose not to. I am sure the parents of Top players already know what's going on as GG helped coach the Spring 2001 Super AAA top kids who mostly came from Lakeshore/Deux Rives/DDO/LaSalle.

Old
08-01-2013, 04:31 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I don't think Westlake will lose top players, I really don't.

Old
08-01-2013, 05:51 PM
RBZ

here is my take:

We have to remember every organization is in the same predicament. This is the very first year for Peewee and Bantam AAA/AA. (except for the pilot project last year in Bantam AAA)

There is going to be a lot of errors and many more issues because of the different organizations joining together. The reason why everyone is so tight lipped about fees and schedules is because they want to make sure before the let the information out. What are they really holding back? Everyone knows it will cost a lot, and everyone knows it will be a much more demanding schedule. Everyone here making it more complicated then that.

This is basically a new company in its first year and mistakes will be made. The politics of choosing players will never go away, whether AA was still the highest level. That is how it is in every sport. Most can identify the top 10 of any team. It is the last 5 players who are always difficult to pick. Do you go with first or second year of same ability? Do you take size over speed? Do you take one organizations player over the other so you get equal representation? No matter what happens in no matter what system, there will always be complainers.

I do think one system Quebec should consider doing is Minor/Major, like the rest of Canada and North America.

Old
08-01-2013, 06:55 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBZ View Post
here is my take:

We have to remember every organization is in the same predicament. This is the very first year for Peewee and Bantam AAA/AA. (except for the pilot project last year in Bantam AAA)

There is going to be a lot of errors and many more issues because of the different organizations joining together. The reason why everyone is so tight lipped about fees and schedules is because they want to make sure before the let the information out. What are they really holding back? Everyone knows it will cost a lot, and everyone knows it will be a much more demanding schedule. Everyone here making it more complicated then that.

This is basically a new company in its first year and mistakes will be made. The politics of choosing players will never go away, whether AA was still the highest level. That is how it is in every sport. Most can identify the top 10 of any team. It is the last 5 players who are always difficult to pick. Do you go with first or second year of same ability? Do you take size over speed? Do you take one organizations player over the other so you get equal representation? No matter what happens in no matter what system, there will always be complainers.

I do think one system Quebec should consider doing is Minor/Major, like the rest of Canada and North America.
You've coached before, well said sir. Well said.

We have a winner.

100% in agreement.

Old
08-01-2013, 10:09 PM
RBZ

Quote:
You've coached before, well said sir. Well said.

We have a winner.

100% in agreement.
You are correct!! I have coached and still coach. No matter where in the world you coach and no matter what level, whether it be A or AA, you deal with the same issues.

Old
08-02-2013, 12:47 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBZ View Post
You are correct!! I have coached and still coach. No matter where in the world you coach and no matter what level, whether it be A or AA, you deal with the same issues.
It's entirely true.

You don't realize what problems there are until you coach.

Old
08-02-2013, 09:32 AM
InfoSeeker

Good Coaches are hard to find....ask any association and they will agree.
A successful season starts and ends with good communication between Coaches, Players, Managers and Parents. If you ignore any of these 4, you are heading for trouble.

This is my point, most parents in LSLS & LSLN do not have a full picture of what to expect with AAA/AA this year. A lot of grey area as to Costs, Travel and Coaching expectations. Most Parents feel left out of the process and they lack the right information to make the proper choice for their kid. Some parents probably don't care and will put their kids in it anyways... Great. However, there will be some parents who refuse to go in blind to find out later that their kid is failing School, they have a Wednesday Night game in Quebec City @ 8PM then another game Saturday in Abitibi but because "Johnny" is a 3rd liner, he will likely be watching the game from the bench. And costs are actually 7K instead of 4K.

...Just sayin'

Old
08-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Popsicle*

Quote:
I don't think Westlake will lose top players, I really don't.
I can name 3 or 4 off the top of my head that are indeed opting out of LSLS and will play for their private school only... And they are TOP players.

Old
08-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Hockey RUS

Arsenal got their act together in April with the same issues as Lions.

There has been no transparency whatsoever. None. What was the criteria used for selecting the kids. Who was on the committee? etc....

Anyway, there are more kids who have backed out than most are willing to admit.

Old
08-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Rekus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Sandler View Post
I can name 3 or 4 off the top of my head that are indeed opting out of LSLS and will play for their private school only... And they are TOP players.
If true - they will be back once the see the level of competition and what it will do for their game. Playing school hockey is fun (environment ,pride of school, etc) but does not approach the level of skill and competion as AAA will have. If they are top players and want to continue to be such - they will be bored by Christmas playing only school hockey. You do not improve playing against weaker kids and opponents. That is what the whole point of AAA is.

No system is perfect and there will be a learning curve. That is why Hockey Quebec had the pilot project of AAA in limited regions last year.

I am sure the associations are getting a handle on all the logistics of the AAA leagues.

Bottom line is you either want your kid to play hockey with and against the best talent or you do not. There will be sacrifices/chooices/compromises to be made by kids and their families where ever you decide to play.

AAA has been a long time coming to Quebec. It is now here - you are lucky that your kids will have the opportunity to play at that level before Midget.

Old
08-02-2013, 10:14 AM
stuggatz42

At the end of the day what it all comes down to is cost,i keep hearing travel, school these are all things you can work out the fine line between yes and no is money,alot of peoples are already in for 5 to 7 gran in school fee's + another let's just say 6 to 7 gran for aaa when you add everything up you are already at 12 to 14 gran this year alone for your 1 kid you still have another sibling or 2 to go it can get pretty crazy,and I too know of a few top kids that will not go from the north and south side,we need info from the source so we can navigate through all of this.

Old
08-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Rekus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuggatz42 View Post
At the end of the day what it all comes down to is cost,i keep hearing travel, school these are all things you can work out the fine line between yes and no is money,alot of peoples are already in for 5 to 7 gran in school fee's + another let's just say 6 to 7 gran for aaa when you add everything up you are already at 12 to 14 gran this year alone for your 1 kid you still have another sibling or 2 to go it can get pretty crazy,and I too know of a few top kids that will not go from the north and south side,we need info from the source so we can navigate through all of this.
My understanding is that the fees will be the neighborhood of 4-5k + plus parent travel. Certainly more expensive than prior years. But with the ice time the kids will be getting and the competition - parents should be able to cut back on other outside hockey expenses. Such as the summer AAA tournys out of town, the extra summer/christmas/march break hockey camps etc. Something will have to give for it to make it all work out for families that do not have or do not want to spend unlimited amounts of money on hockey.

All depends what families are willing to do for their kids.

Old
08-02-2013, 10:42 AM
InfoSeeker

Personally, the process of selecting the kids is up to SIL/GG and I am ok with that.
They are running the show and have the right to pick whoever they wish to tryout and attend the selection camps. I know for a fact that they asked for input from HWI and LS associations as to who would be good selections for LSLS. I have no doubt that the selection process for invites was fair.

I agree with ProAm16 comment that AAA hockey is a good thing for Quebec. It is a long time coming but I'm just not a big fan of AAA at the PW level. Bantam brings hitting into the game and that is a game changer. Some Kids thriving in PWAAA will disappear
in Bantam at the cost of parents $$ and time invested in PWAAA. That's a lot of pressure on a kid making the jump from PWAAA to BTMAA/AAA. I guess that's how you weed out the talent?

Closed Thread