Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Hockey Quebec Peewee and Bantam AAA

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2013, 04:50 PM
bigstarr

vCash: 500
Im hearing that the guy in charge of SIL is "apparently" selecting the coaches and players for the training camp in August. (sending out information emails anyways)

I find it funny that all the coaches applying need to have HP1 and the guy in charge of chosing both the players and coaches does not. In fact, the highest level he ever coached i think was Bantam AA for one year (when his team was on top until Sprong left and then crumbled) and before that Peewee AA for a year. Funny how with no experience he is the one making all the decisions. (OR IS HE LoL)

Old
05-15-2013, 05:24 PM
HockeyPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstarr View Post
Im hearing that the guy in charge of SIL is "apparently" selecting the coaches and players for the training camp in August. (sending out information emails anyways)

I find it funny that all the coaches applying need to have HP1 and the guy in charge of chosing both the players and coaches does not. In fact, the highest level he ever coached i think was Bantam AA for one year (when his team was on top until Sprong left and then crumbled) and before that Peewee AA for a year. Funny how with no experience he is the one making all the decisions. (OR IS HE LoL)
Have you heard of anyone having received this "information email" ? If so, was it for Bantam or peewee ?

Old
05-15-2013, 05:38 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Gerry Gomez is just a liaison.. Raz, Job and Karel are the guys in charge.

Old
05-16-2013, 07:09 AM
Hockey RUS

How much power could Gomez possibly have? It all comes from the Lions organization/business. The master list of who is in or out was set up a long time ago.

No disrespect to him and as pointed out, his body of work is very slim other than knowing the right people.

Parents are realizing that an invitation to the August camps is just a fundraising activity for the AAA/AA teams.

What happens to kids who decline the invite?

In any event, remember it is a business that is running all of this.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:28 AM
HockeyPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey RUS View Post
How much power could Gomez possibly have? It all comes from the Lions organization/business. The master list of who is in or out was set up a long time ago.

No disrespect to him and as pointed out, his body of work is very slim other than knowing the right people.

Parents are realizing that an invitation to the August camps is just a fundraising activity for the AAA/AA teams.

What happens to kids who decline the invite?

In any event, remember it is a business that is running all of this.
Do we know if the invitations were sent out ? I have not heard anyone yet say that they were invited.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Hockey RUS

I cannot see invites sent until:

1) coaches selected
2) U13 tourny takes place (end of May???)

I assume they would be sent in June since people go on vacation in July.

Anyone know how many new applicants showed up transfering schools to Sports Etudes at Rennie or DesSources for sec 2.

Old
05-16-2013, 11:39 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:

1) coaches selected

Anyone know how many new applicants showed up transfering schools to Sports Etudes at Rennie or DesSources for sec 2.
All I know is that Joey Veleno was one of them.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:14 PM
HockeyPro

Quote:

1) coaches selected

As I understand it and been confirmed from some very reliable sources at Rennie.... that sport etude has taken a different position on the selection of kids. They are not only looking at academics now but also the kid's hockey background. In fact, they have widthdrawn (cut) a couple of kids and replaced them with 2 others with a stronger hockey background. This is for the upcoming sec 1 grade.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Hockey RUS

So as expected John Rennie has sold their soul.

This is what this whole AAA/AA comes down to and why Hockey Quebec should be ashamed of this new model. Academics is secondary to money generation.

90%+ of the kids going through this will not earn a living in hockey. What will be their fallback?

Old
05-16-2013, 12:52 PM
HockeyPro

Quote:

This is what this whole AAA/AA comes down to and why Hockey Quebec should be ashamed of this new model. Academics is secondary to money generation.

90%+ of the kids going through this will not earn a living in hockey. What will be their fallback?
They are still getting a quality education even if it's cut back to 66% condensed program. The difference now is that kids that did not belong academically or bombed that test will still get in because they are gifted hockey players. Rennie has strict entrance rules that needs to be met and going forward ... i'm not sure how these kids will cope. Imagine a kid who can hardly speak French taking a compressed history/geography class in French with Mr Quirion ? He will struggle big time.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Hockey RUS

Sorry. It is still 66% of a quality education. Strong students will always persevere. You do not do 66% without cutting corners somewhere.

Sports-Etudes is a fairly young concept and the long term plus and minuses are not known.

I do not know what the quality is of instructors and John Rennie or anywhere else but, when you lower the bar to make a hockey team...it tells you all about priorities.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:41 PM
HockeyPro

Quote:
Sorry. It is still 66% of a quality education. Strong students will always persevere. You do not do 66% without cutting corners somewhere.

Sports-Etudes is a fairly young concept and the long term plus and minuses are not known.

I do not know what the quality is of instructors and John Rennie or anywhere else but, when you lower the bar to make a hockey team...it tells you all about priorities.
I have a child who graduates from the program this year ... soccer though. True, corners are cut by eliminating none core optional subjects but who ever paid attention in philosophy or moral education anyways ? right ? Corners are not cut on the core subjects and the quality of the teachers is top notch ...except for the odd character flaws on some but every school goes through that. I have another kid accepted in hockey this coming September.

I can tell you that 215 kids wrote the entrance exams to get in and only 54 were admitted ... only 12 in hockey so the bar is set high ... beleive me. It was a 6 hour exam and from all the kids who I know wrote the exam only mine got in that I know. I have no clue who the others are. From what I learned today, it seems that they are taking the same approach as in soccer. There is a soccer tryout ... if you don't pass that part, you don't get in. What I heard today was more radical. They actually cut 2 kids to make room for 2 other players. I think it makes a lot more sense as long as they don't compromise the quality of kids/academics coming into the program. Are they willing to set the bar lower to accept more of these less academically gifted kids ? Time will tell.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:49 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Sounds corrupt to me..

Old
05-16-2013, 01:59 PM
HockeyPro

Quote:

Agree that hockey Quebec has no business sticking their noses into the school system. I guess wherever there is money to be made will raise their eyebrows. This will surely bring the politics into the education system !

p.s: The primary goal of this program is to keep kids in school....not to make a hockey carreer. If the hockey part opens doors such as prep schools in the US, NCAA, CSA hockey etc... then it's a big bonus. In the old days, kids would quit school all together so they could concentrate in hockey. This program allows both at the same time.

Old
05-16-2013, 02:24 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyPro View Post
Agree that hockey Quebec has no business sticking their noses into the school system. I guess wherever there is money to be made will raise their eyebrows. This will surely bring the politics into the education system !

p.s: The primary goal of this program is to keep kids in school....not to make a hockey carreer. If the hockey part opens doors such as prep schools in the US, NCAA, CSA hockey etc... then it's a big bonus. In the old days, kids would quit school all together so they could concentrate in hockey. This program allows both at the same time.
School first for sport étude kids, there should be no questions asked.

Old
05-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Hockey RUS

I have kids in elementary school but, lots of buddies whose kids are at various levels in high school.

It all depends on the kids.

I did hear that for the hockey kids transfering for sec 2, the bar was lowered and the entrance exam of sec 1 students was bypassed. At the end of the day, there is now great pressure to be competitive and that will result in "recruiting" similar to the US.
Time will really tell.

Here is the kicker. Kids can still get the prep school route via a Kuper, LCC, STe-Anne, Loyola Brebeuf...and I suspect more will move that way.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:29 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

It's about the competition and the caliber of play.

Old
05-19-2013, 03:01 PM
bigstarr

Claude Francis (lakeshore) will be the coach for bantam AAA community

Old
05-19-2013, 06:21 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
It's official ? How do you know ?

He wasn't their first choice, but no surprise.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:35 PM
HockeyPro

Quote:
Where did you get this information ? Did you hear on the sport etude side ? How about peewee ?

Old
05-21-2013, 07:19 AM
Hockey RUS

Related to all this: Does anyone know what the new school rules will be for AAA/AA players competing the GMAA.

In the past it was a 5 AA player limit. I heard that kids who play AAA/AA will not be allowed. Is this true? or is this a rule only some schools are adopting?

Old
05-21-2013, 07:36 AM
HockeyPro

Quote:
Related to all this: Does anyone know what the new school rules will be for AAA/AA players competing the GMAA.

In the past it was a 5 AA player limit. I heard that kids who play AAA/AA will not be allowed. Is this true? or is this a rule only some schools are adopting?
It only makes sense that they wouldn't allow them to play with all the hockey they will be playing in AAA/AA. I heard the same however, the rules have not yet been officially posted: http://www.gmaa.ca/1-winter_sports_1...eason_2012.pdf

Old
05-21-2013, 12:29 PM
Rekus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyPro View Post
Where did you get this information ? Did you hear on the sport etude side ? How about peewee ?
If this is true - its not a very good choice. with all the talent Lakeshore has - they never managed to go very far,

Old
05-21-2013, 02:56 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmatuerFan65 View Post
If this is true - its not a very good choice. with all the talent Lakeshore has - they never managed to go very far,
Bad coaches and bad goalies.

Old
05-21-2013, 03:20 PM
HockeyPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmatuerFan65 View Post
That's because they focus on too much individual skill training and flow drills but very very little or none on team tactics and team systems. They do well until peewee within their own league because they are superior to other kids in terms of individual skills but when they get to tournaments, Dodge cup etc.. they do poorly because all these other teams have the skill set and the knowlegde to play as a team. THEY MUST BE BALANCED. Lakeshore has a culture of Hogs because this is what they technical director preaches (unwillingly) but ultimately, too much individual skill and NO Team tactics and Team systems will create individual play.

Closed Thread