HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nice job Valiquette!

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2005, 08:26 PM
NYFAN

vCash: 500
Nice job Valiquette!

Steve is only 30 min away from breaking an AHL record for consecutive shutout minutes after his 3 shutouts in a row. Best of luck to him and his team mates!

Old
01-27-2005, 10:22 PM
Ocelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFAN
Steve is only 30 min away from breaking an AHL record for consecutive shutout minutes after his 3 shutouts in a row. Best of luck to him and his team mates!

WoW thats crazy. Good luck to him. Lets hope he is able to do it in his next game.

Old
01-27-2005, 11:22 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Its been more then 3 games really. Dont forget the game where Lab gave up like 4 goals on 15 shots then Val went in and saved all 18 shots and the Pack went on winning 6-4 after being down 4-1

220 Minutes of Shutout.

Old
01-28-2005, 07:44 AM
NYFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Its been more then 3 games really. Dont forget the game where Lab gave up like 4 goals on 15 shots then Val went in and saved all 18 shots and the Pack went on winning 6-4 after being down 4-1

220 Minutes of Shutout.
You are right about that ....sorry, I should have been more thorough!

Old
01-28-2005, 11:10 PM
NYR Fan 8845

I have always said he deserves a shot in all his NHL appearences he has played excellent maybe this will catch Sathers eye.Valiquette is still young at 27.

Old
01-28-2005, 11:53 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

In the few games hes played in the NHL he hasnt played below average by any means. He should get a shot.

Old
01-29-2005, 10:22 AM
Fletch

Should get a shot?

He's a backup AHL goalie to a goalie most believe doesn't have what it takes to be an NHLer. Don't be mesmorized by a few good games. The season's 82 games long.

Old
01-29-2005, 11:14 AM
NYFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
He's a backup AHL goalie to a goalie most believe doesn't have what it takes to be an NHLer. Don't be mesmorized by a few good games. The season's 82 games long.
He is a backup because Mcgill and co are being loyal to LaBarbera after the season he had last year. I don't know if this guy will make it in the NHL, but I will state confidently that he is better than LaBarbera, and has more ability. No doubt about it.

Old
01-29-2005, 11:20 AM
DarthSather99

Does anyone think that maybe these goalies success has been more a result of their system, a strong empathesis on defense, that the talen that they have?

I don't get to see many games but that's what I'm thinking after seeing LaBarbara perform in the NHL last year.

Old
01-29-2005, 11:38 AM
Fletch

NYFan...

I think the loyalty comes from a couple seasons Labarbera had (remember also, Labarbera started ahead of Valiquette last season too, so it's not 'after last season'). The guy has a good run and everybody's jumping on the bandwagon. Labs had a good run last season too. Labs is playing pretty well this season also, albeit a little off, but nonetheless quite good.

Old
01-29-2005, 12:36 PM
Fish

To be honest I don't know that there's been that much loyalty...they've gone with Valiquette more often than Labarbera of late...they've been riding whoever was hottest. After all Labarbera hadn't lost between late November and mid January.

Old
01-29-2005, 01:39 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFAN
He is a backup because Mcgill and co are being loyal to LaBarbera after the season he had last year. I don't know if this guy will make it in the NHL, but I will state confidently that he is better than LaBarbera, and has more ability. No doubt about it.
What about all the other organizations he's been with? It's not like any of them ever had Valiquette as their starting goalie. He's never played in more than 35 games in his AHL career and when Edmonton needed help last year, they ignored him and then traded him in part to get Markanen back.. If the Ranger organization is wrong, so are a lot of others.

Old
01-29-2005, 01:58 PM
NYFAN

Quote:
I think the loyalty comes from a couple seasons Labarbera had (remember also, Labarbera started ahead of Valiquette last season too, so it's not 'after last season'). The guy has a good run and everybody's jumping on the bandwagon. Labs had a good run last season too. Labs is playing pretty well this season also, albeit a little off, but nonetheless quite good.
Valiquette came in three quarters of the way through the season, LaBarbera was already having a monster year, if it ain't broke you don't mess with it.

Old
01-29-2005, 02:23 PM
NYFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
What about all the other organizations he's been with? It's not like any of them ever had Valiquette as their starting goalie. He's never played in more than 35 games in his AHL career and when Edmonton needed help last year, they ignored him and then traded him in part to get Markanen back.. If the Ranger organization is wrong, so are a lot of others.
He's been with the Islanders, Edmonton , and now the Rangers. Lets go back to 99 when he was with the Isles. That particular year the Islanders had Potvin and Weekes with the big club. They also had Luongo in the minors that year, along with Valiquette. In any event ,he gets to play in a few games, and has a very decent showing. 2-0 record and 1.8 gaa or something like that. Nothing to marvel at, but a decent respectable start. Since that time he was basically buried in Edmonton for whatever reason, and the only reason he was moved to us in my opinion, was that Sather was tired of looking bad with the Dunham deal. Jussi was just as effective if not more so than Dunham, and the fans were getting pissed seeing Dunham flop around while Jussi rode the bench a majority of the time. The swap of goaltenders was merely a way to get people off Sathers back. I would much rather have kept Jussi as I think he can become a good goaltender, with an outside chance to become a great one if he gets more consistent. But since he isn't here anymore, I would love to see a real open competition in net whenever the league starts back up. I have no desire to see our most recent netminder return to his flopping ways, and feel that between LaBs and Val, Val has the edge in ability for the NHL, thats all. I love what LaBarbera has done for the Pack, I just don't think he is good enough to earn meaningful time at the NHL level. Doesn't mean I'm right, just my opinion and observation.

Old
01-29-2005, 03:25 PM
Rie

Valiquette was with the Islanders' organization from 1999-2003. In the 2000-2001 season the Islanders shared an affiliation with Phoenix in AHL Springfield. He was a back-up in Springfield because Phoenix had a top prospect goalie in Patrick DesRochers. Since the Coyotes were the primary NHL affiliate in Springfield, Valiquette was put in the backup spot. DesRochers played game after game even when he didnít play well. Finally, around January, he started to get pulled and then Valiquette started getting more ice time, which the fans seemed to be happy about. Springfield finally started to string some wins together with him in net and then a freak locker room accident happened that caused him to miss the rest of the season.

He was then touted to be the starter of the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, but then the Islanders picked up Chris Osgood in the waiver draft and sent Rick DiPietro to Bridgeport. Since DiPietro was the first draft pick, he played in most of the games that season. But Valiquette continued to improve even with only 20 games played that season. In the second season when Dipietro was finally recalled by the Islanders, Valiquette took the team to the playoffs. In the first round, they were underdogs and swept Manchester. Then, the Islanders were knocked out of the playoffs, and DiPietro was sent back to Bridgeport. DiPietro played in the Sound Tigers' next series versus Binghamton and Bridgeport lost the series.

In my opinion, it isn't talent that has kept Valiquette as back-up. His main problem is that he has been behind several top prospects. Now, this season, he is back-up to the AHL's returning MVP.

Old
01-29-2005, 10:03 PM
NYFAN

Thanks for the info Rie, but I was mainly focused on his NHL opportunities.

Old
01-29-2005, 10:55 PM
Fletch

NY Fan...

I'm a believer of not fixin' things that ain't broke, but if you get a superior goalie a month before the deadline, I'd give him a chance to become a regular everyday goalie and the go-to guy in the playoffs. There's no loyalty to Labs on McGill's part...he just goes with who he believes gives him the best chance of winning.

Old
01-29-2005, 11:54 PM
NYFAN

Quote:
I'm a believer of not fixin' things that ain't broke, but if you get a superior goalie a month before the deadline, I'd give him a chance to become a regular everyday goalie and the go-to guy in the playoffs. There's no loyalty to Labs on McGill's part...he just goes with who he believes gives him the best chance of winning.
If you think for one minute, that McGill was going to yank LaBarbera for Valiquette when he only got traded to us on March 3rd, I'd say you are kidding yourself ? The fact is LaBarbera had an outstanding season last year, and the job was his till he lost it. This season was the same story and I would say that LaBs grip on the starting job is not a given by any stretch of the imagination. McGill seems willing to go to whoever is hot, and Valiquette has had a nice little run recently. BTW his streak was stopped at 222:00 min. I feel Valiquette needs to step up and take over in Hartford if he wants to get to the next level. If he can do that, I think we could have a real sleeper in our system, who at 6'6" can fill alot of net up, and maybe become a contender as a starter on the big club, and spark some serious competition between the pipes. Lord knows we could use some of that! I have no desire to revisit the Dunham situation. Although not entirely his fault, he is clearly not the answer in goal, and I think some healthy competition in net is in order, provided there is some sort of abbreviated season this year.

Old
01-30-2005, 09:52 AM
Fletch

Kidding myself?

If you're the top team in the league, call it Detroit just for an example, and Joe Sakic is acquired, do you think he starts at center despite the team being in first place? You do often go with who you believe will take you furthest in the playoffs. Switching goalies would not have been out of the question if Valiquette outplayed Labarbera. There was enough time left in the season to work him in, and he did get into 7 games.

And Valiquette needs to step up to get to the next level? What about Labarbera, who's about 4-5 years younger than Valiquette?

Old
01-30-2005, 12:23 PM
NYFAN

Quote:
If you're the top team in the league, call it Detroit just for an example, and Joe Sakic is acquired, do you think he starts at center despite the team being in first place? You do often go with who you believe will take you furthest in the playoffs. Switching goalies would not have been out of the question if Valiquette outplayed Labarbera. There was enough time left in the season to work him in, and he did get into 7 games.

And Valiquette needs to step up to get to the next level? What about Labarbera, who's about 4-5 years younger than Valiquette?
Fletch, I am not bashing LaBs here, I just don't feel from what I have seen of him, that he is capable of being anything more than a solid AHL goaltender. Which I would be more than ecstatic to be able to be! I just think that Valiquette has more ability and potential than LaBarbera, and he needs to get his confidence high in order to prove that. He has the size and ability to be a dominant goalie in my opinion, and his biggest problem has been injury, and being buried behind some really good talent. The time for excuses is past now though, he needs to step up and prove he can get it done consistently day in and day out.

Old
01-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Fletch

Never thought you were bashing Labs...

and pretty much figured that was your position on Valiquette. What Valiquette is is more experienced than Labs at this point. I don't know how much potential a 27-28 year old AHL goaltender really has, so I can't get excited. I haven't seen much of him, admittedly, but at the same time, I don't get too excited. He's filled in at the NHL level on occasion, but it's not like he's played 20-30 games in a season at that level to really get an idea of what he's about.

Old
01-30-2005, 08:32 PM
NYR Fan 8845

Quote:
And if he is never given a true shot how will you know. Your quick to comment on a plyer that was never given a real chance. And because he is a back up to an excellent AHL goalie means he cant be a good NHL starter.That opinion is somewhat very ridicualous if ive heard one.

Old
01-30-2005, 10:09 PM
Fletch

By the same token...

why shouldn't Labs be given a real shot? Why didn't JF Labbe really never make it? How 'bout Jamie Ram, who if I remember correctly played mop-up duty against the Avs and turned away all 11 shots he faced. And what about Holmqvist? Snee? Others? There are way too many goalie prospected out there and so few chances.

Old
01-31-2005, 07:07 AM
NYFAN

Fletch, maybe I have a biased view of their abilities, but from what I have seen, I truly believe Valiquette has more ability. I have seen both guys play, and to me, Labarbera has heavy legs after the initial shot. If he was more nimble on his skates, I would feel better about his chances. I don't think he should be excluded from competing for a position on the big club, I just don't think he has enough natural ability, whereas I think Valiquette has lots of it.

Closed Thread