HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs - Nucks - Sharks

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2012, 02:35 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Leafs - Nucks - Sharks

This is two separate trades, but they're tightly linked:

Trade 1: Nucks/Sharks
- Luongo for Clowe

Trade 2: Sharks/Leafs
- Niemi for MacArthur and Colborne

Why for the Nucks?
It's pretty much inevitable that they'll trade Luongo eventually, and they get a good playmaking power forward back in Clowe who would look GREAT next to Kesler. Also, SJ seems like a place that Luongo might actually agree to go to! He's been trying to force his way to Florida, but Florida don't seem that interested due to their internal budget, and their elite goalie prospect (Markstrom). Luongo's wife moved back to Florida because she didn't like Vancouver (too hockey crazy, not American), but maybe she'd be willing to move to SJ? Warm climate, near the ocean, in America, not crazy fanatical about hockey, sounds a lot like Florida.

Why for the Sharks?
They're deep at forward, solid on d, very talented in general and always a good team, but just haven't been able to make it all the way to the finals. Maybe a stud goalie is what they need, and for all the hate Luongo gets, he's still one of the best goalies in the league year in and year out. They upgrade in goal, get a solid forward prospect to bolster their woefully weak farm, and only downgrade a bit on the wing.

Why for the Leafs?
They finally get a decent starting goalie, who isn't overly old either (Niemi is 29). They lose a solid winger in MacArthur, but they have an excess of wings anyways. They also lose a fairly good prospect in Colborne, but the farm is pretty deep for the Leafs, it could be worth it to fill the hole in goal.

Old
10-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

I don't see Toronto fans wanting to part with Colborne. He is our best chance at a big top 6 C. (JVR is a winger.)

Old
10-10-2012, 02:39 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
If it weren't for Luongo's contract, I'd probably do it, but as it is, Doug Wilson hates Luongo-types of contracts and refuses to hand them out, so I have a hard time believing that he'll go trade for one.

Old
10-10-2012, 02:42 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

From what i hear, San Jose's financial situation isnt looking very peachy. I cant see them taking on Luongo. Plus they won't want to trade Clowe

Old
Drew311
Van Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
This is two separate trades, but they're tightly linked:

Trade 1: Nucks/Sharks
- Luongo for Clowe

Trade 2: Sharks/Leafs
- Niemi for MacArthur and Colborne

Why for the Nucks?
It's pretty much inevitable that they'll trade Luongo eventually, and they get a good playmaking power forward back in Clowe who would look GREAT next to Kesler. Also, SJ seems like a place that Luongo might actually agree to go to! He's been trying to force his way to Florida, but Florida don't seem that interested due to their internal budget, and their elite goalie prospect (Markstrom). Luongo's wife moved back to Florida because she didn't like Vancouver (too hockey crazy, not American), but maybe she'd be willing to move to SJ? Warm climate, near the ocean, in America, not crazy fanatical about hockey, sounds a lot like Florida.

Why for the Sharks?
They're deep at forward, solid on d, very talented in general and always a good team, but just haven't been able to make it all the way to the finals. Maybe a stud goalie is what they need, and for all the hate Luongo gets, he's still one of the best goalies in the league year in and year out. They upgrade in goal, get a solid forward prospect to bolster their woefully weak farm, and only downgrade a bit on the wing.

Why for the Leafs?
They finally get a decent starting goalie, who isn't overly old either (Niemi is 29). They lose a solid winger in MacArthur, but they have an excess of wings anyways. They also lose a fairly good prospect in Colborne, but the farm is pretty deep for the Leafs, it could be worth it to fill the hole in goal.
I don't think Niemi is the problem in SJ, considering he has already proven he can be a Stanley Cup winning goaltender. Also, if I want to go far in the playoffs, i'm taking Clowe over MacArthur every time.

Old
Arrch

Vancouver says Yes.

San Jose says Ehhh.

Toronto says No.

Old
10-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 1675
Vancouver says Ehhh.

San Jose says yes, if it weren't for Wilson's hatred against long contracts.

Toronto says no.

Old
10-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Homegrown Kings
rangdemption song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
Vancouver says Yes.

San Jose says Ehhh.

Toronto says No.
My thoughts exactly. Toronto shouldn't give up Colborne, he's one of their best forward prospects. Seems like a lateral move for SJ, personally I think Clowe is key to a shot at a cup, I prefer him to all to all their other forwards. Vancouver takes this deal for sure, Clowe is the type of player they need badly.

One of the better Luongo three-way proposals I've seen though.

Old
10-10-2012, 03:05 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

I'd do it. I'm not high on Colborne, and trading Mac opens up a roster spot for one of the many promising NHL hopefuls on the Marlies.

Old
10-10-2012, 03:09 PM
TieClark

Niemi is a below average starter... Toronto wouldn't give up one of ther best prospects for a marginal upgrade of any. Luongo for clowe... I could possibly see but I highly doubt it.

These threads seem to always be Vancouver fans getting clever about how to get decent value for Luongo. I'm not sure if the op is in fact a Canucks fan but I can't see SJ giving up a very good pf for a contract like that unless they're desperate for a playoff push

Old
10-10-2012, 03:09 PM
hockeyball

This is like the 10th luongo to san jose thread which will again be filled with "we don't want him" and "even if we wanted him, Wilson is extremely outspoken specifically against contracts like this".

Really, stop trying to jam him down our throats.

Old
10-10-2012, 03:12 PM
StringerBell

No from Vancouver. Luongo will not be traded for a playoff rental. I would much rather see him go for prospects than for one upcoming UFA.

Old
10-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 1675
To be honest there's too much risk for Clowe to be the only piece. There's a pretty decent chance his career wil take a Morrow-like turn, as a power forward he likely doesn't have many good years left. While he's certainly a good player, I'd want a decent prospect coming our way. Luongo's a better player, at a more important position, will play at an elite level for at least as long as Clowe maintains his current level. If a prospect like Nieto were added, I'd be more easy with it.

EDIT: And I forgot Clowe only has a year left on his contract. No way (San) Jose

Old
10-10-2012, 03:21 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
This is like the 10th luongo to san jose thread which will again be filled with "we don't want him" and "even if we wanted him, Wilson is extremely outspoken specifically against contracts like this".

Really, stop trying to jam him down our throats.
It's simple really, if you don't like it, don't post, ignore the thread. It'll help keep hockey threads relate to hockey instead of back-and-forth bickering. I hate to single you out, and don't take it personally, but it would make for a much cleaner main board.

Colborne started last season in the AHL on a tear and it looked like he was destined for NHL duty at some point in the season but he injured his wrist (apparently it was really bad) and for whatever reason he played the season out with the Marlies and his production took a hit. To myself, personally, he has to prove he can produce this year because another dissapointing season and I'll have all but written him off.

MacArthur isn't a core player (imo) and with the likes of Matt Frattin, Nazem Kadri, Jerry D'Amigo, Nicolas Deschamps, & Ryan Hamilton knocking on the NHL's doorsteep I deem Mac expendable. I'm not even saying that any one of those guys will produce as much as Mac would but that with such a log-jam on the wings I'd like to see the young guys get a fair shake to keep a roster spot.

Like I've said, I'd do it from a TML's pov. The Leafs should probably receive a late pick or middling prospect to even things out but I certainly wouldn't hesitate moving Mac or Colborne if I thought it improved the NHL roster.

Old
10-10-2012, 03:29 PM
spiny norman
Global Moderator
Dinsdale !!!

I'm sorry, but there currently exists a prohibition of trade threads involving Luongo.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1&postcount=11

Closed.

Closed Thread