HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

St.Johns and the ACC

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2005, 10:52 PM
BHLCommish

vCash: 500
St.Johns and the ACC

I've heard that they may be having more games and the playoffs at the ACC. Any truth to this? I think it would be a slap in the face to St.John's games, but living in Toronto I would definitely want to check out some affordable minor pro hockey.

Old
01-27-2005, 08:22 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHLCommish
I've heard that they may be having more games and the playoffs at the ACC. Any truth to this? I think it would be a slap in the face to St.John's games, but living in Toronto I would definitely want to check out some affordable minor pro hockey.
Unless they intend to move the team out of St. John's permanently, they shouldn't touch those playoff games. They'd have to kiss most of next year's season ticket sales goodbye. The owner of the St. John's AHL franchise would probably end up suing the Leafs over it.

Old
01-27-2005, 08:53 AM
A.J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
Unless they intend to move the team out of St. John's permanently, they shouldn't touch those playoff games. They'd have to kiss most of next year's season ticket sales goodbye.
The team is moving to Toronto after this season.

Old
01-27-2005, 08:57 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Unless they intend to move the team out of St. John's permanently, they shouldn't touch those playoff games. They'd have to kiss most of next year's season ticket sales goodbye. The owner of the St. John's AHL franchise would probably end up suing the Leafs over it.
I don't know which part of this statement to correct first.

They are moving the team out of St. John's permanently. And Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment owns the St. John's franchise of course.

That being said, if St. John's makes the playoffs, I hope they wouldn't bring the games to Toronto. That would be a kick in the teeth to the fans in St. John's who have supported the team all along- especially since this is the first year in a while they actually have a good team.

Old
01-27-2005, 09:23 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
I don't know which part of this statement to correct first.
Quit being such a smart ass!

Quote:
They are moving the team out of St. John's permanently.
What was wrong with my "Unless they intend to move the team out of St. John's permanently"? If they are moving the team, my statement is then true, isn't it?
Quote:
And Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment owns the St. John's franchise of course.
I always believed NHL teams simply had an agreement with existing AHL franchises. If I was wrong, that's the only wrong statement in my post.

Quote:
That being said, if St. John's makes the playoffs, I hope they wouldn't bring the games to Toronto. That would be a kick in the teeth to the fans in St. John's who have supported the team all along- especially since this is the first year in a while they actually have a good team.
I agree.

Old
01-29-2005, 08:21 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Quit being such a smart ass!

What was wrong with my "Unless they intend to move the team out of St. John's permanently"? If they are moving the team, my statement is then true, isn't it?I always believed NHL teams simply had an agreement with existing AHL franchises. If I was wrong, that's the only wrong statement in my post.

I agree.
The team name should have given away who the owner is.

Old
01-29-2005, 09:04 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
I belive the rumour stems from some sort of Labour issue and Mile One Stadium etc. etc. something about how they might HAVE to move to Toronto early, I don't think it would happen though.

Old
01-30-2005, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NataSatan666
The team name should have given away who the owner is.
Not really, the Providence Bruins aren't owned by the Boston Bruins, nor are the Bingo Senators owned by the Ottawa Senators.

Old
01-30-2005, 12:14 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'd hate to see that happen. It's not really fair to fans of the team.

Old
01-30-2005, 02:18 PM
Schenn02

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
I belive the rumour stems from some sort of Labour issue and Mile One Stadium etc. etc. something about how they might HAVE to move to Toronto early, I don't think it would happen though.

Yeah I;m not sure either but it has something to do with a labour dispute. If the Baby Leafs do make the playoffs, I hope everything runs smoothly and the people in Nfld can see their Baby Leafs one last time before they move to Toronto (although attendance has been down this year or so I heard, backlash?)

Old
01-30-2005, 04:19 PM
Frankie

the labour dispute with mile one stadium employees has ended before it began. that's all settled.

the leafs cannot move any games without the permission of the board of directors in st.john's. the baby leafs' director of hockey operations says he will not recommend to the board that any games be moved.

Old
01-31-2005, 03:38 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Good to see that condescension is still going strong.

Closed Thread