HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cory Emmerton out two months

Old
10-15-2012, 03:18 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 500
Cory Emmerton out two months

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=643513

Quote:
"1 period 1 shot 1 blocked shot 1 broken finger, great stats Cory," he said on his Twitter account after the 3-2 shootout victory against Kalpa Kuopio.
Cory Emmerton did indeed suffer a fractured finger and it was pretty bad as far as that goes. He needed surgery which suggest more than a simple break and is now out up to two months. This could prove costly for Emmerton if an agreement is reached quickly. As he would be unable to compete for the last forward positions and the Wings would not have to pay him post lockout. He did have insurance but I wonder what that means if he is sidelined through a league opening.

Understand if the mods want to put this into the players overseas. But depending on how you look at the Voracek and Hudler news guys with injury time lines that suggest they would be available by the regular season if an agreement was reached shortly, we have our first guy really in danger of losing his NHL contract because of playing overseas during the lockout.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 03:26 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=643513

Cory Emmerton did indeed suffer a fractured finger and it was pretty bad as far as that goes. He needed surgery which suggest more than a simple break and is now out up to two months. This could prove costly for Emmerton if an agreement is reached quickly. As he would be unable to compete for the last forward positions and the Wings would not have to pay him post lockout. He did have insurance but I wonder what that means if he is sidelined through a league opening.

Understand if the mods want to put this into the players overseas. But depending on how you look at the Voracek and Hudler news guys with injury time lines that suggest they would be available by the regular season if an agreement was reached shortly, we have our first guy really in danger of losing his NHL contract because of playing overseas during the lockout.
Do you think the Red Wings will cancel his contract?
Do you think the Wings would cancel Datsyuk's contract.

It's a pretty insignificant issue, IMO.
The only contracts Detroit would cancel are the contracts belonging to bit players who were probably going to lose their contract anyway.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 03:26 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

He will be fit next August which is probably what matters

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 03:39 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Do you think the Red Wings will cancel his contract?
Yes, I think it might be an option and stated as much. It is unfortunate for Emmerton but were an agreement to come down in the next two to three weeks he is in serious danger with the numbers crunch. Now he had to go play to ensure he could win a job in camp but this is the risk that came with that.

In terms of a Hudler, Voracek, and certainly Datsyuk I don't think they are in danger.

Now cap numbers might dictate somebody else taking a hike and I wonder how the IR works if you were injured playing overseas while the teams were not playing. The Wings have a good reputation so it would be surprising, but Emmerton was in danger of hitting the waiver wire anyway this fall, you cannot say this helps him in avoiding that.

Old
10-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
He will be fit next August which is probably what matters
This.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 07:48 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
As long as he's healthy when we have hockey again. If we do.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 02:18 AM
Henkka

This makes our offense "problem" easier, if the season starts. We don't have to waive Emmerton, we can put him LTIR.

Franzen - Zetterberg - Brunner
Nyquist - Datsyuk - Bertuzzi
Cleary - Filppula - Samuelsson
Abdelkader - Helm - Tootoo
Miller, Mursak

Eaves LTIR
Emmerton LTIR

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:06 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
I don't think Flip would very happy to re-sign with us if he's going to center the third line.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
Perfect..Now we can use

Datsyuk
Z
Fil
Helm

spread around the Wingers.....tatar tots, nyquist, mursak have bigger opp...

Does this mean if a deal is reached in next few weeks, the Wings offer Holmer a one-year?

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Maize and Blue

He brings nothing to the table anyways but maybe a little speed!

Maize and Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Frk It
#TwentyFour

I'd rather have Andersson take Emmerton's spot in Detroit so Sheahan can get more playing time in GR.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 11:59 AM
Rzombo4 prez

I just can't bring myself to care about Emmerton as a Wing. I don't really see him making the roster and I don't think he would have any value in a trade.

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
I'd rather have Andersson take Emmerton's spot in Detroit so Sheahan can get more playing time in GR.
IF we have hockey next August then I can see Andersson and possibly Sheahan battling it out for that 4th line center spot. Emmerton was a stop gap who had the opportunity to solidify his spot over last year and this year. Like Mursak he may be a casualty due to no fault of his own.

For the record I quite like this as a 4th line going foward:

Abdelkader-Sheahan-Andersson

Maybe throw Tootoo in there as part of the rotation.

Run the Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:38 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Quote:
I agree, give Sheahan a chance to show if he has offensive potential in him. Season in GR at least, maybe two if he shows he can be a scorer. Much better than play 5 mins at 4th line.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Frk It
#TwentyFour

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
IF we have hockey next August then I can see Andersson and possibly Sheahan battling it out for that 4th line center spot. Emmerton was a stop gap who had the opportunity to solidify his spot over last year and this year. Like Mursak he may be a casualty due to no fault of his own.

For the record I quite like this as a 4th line going foward:

Abdelkader-Sheahan-Andersson

Maybe throw Tootoo in there as part of the rotation.
My comment was more regarding this season. Given that Andersson seems to be pretty high on the call-up depth chart, and his skill set and size bode well for a 4th line center spot, it would make the most sense to plug him in Emmerton's spot if we start playing hockey in November. Can't see Shehan unseating Tootoo, and Andersson definitely seems higher than Sheahan in terms of getting called up with the Wings, so Andersson as a 4th line C seems probable. I think it would work out well because then Sheahan gets more minutes in GR and a bigger role, so that is better for his development anyway. He seems to be not getting much of a role or minutes as of now.

Old
10-16-2012, 03:21 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

With substantial movement made today, the problems for Emmerton seem very real. I wonder if you can IR a player injured while not playing under your contract? This is slightly different than a guy hurt in the off-season working out. The Wings won't have to pay him, but can he rehab at the Joe even if he is put on LTIR as a result of this? They will be withholding pay from him, will he even want to be around the facilities if that is the decision made?

Old
10-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Run the Jewels

Quote:
My comment was more regarding this season. Given that Andersson seems to be pretty high on the call-up depth chart, and his skill set and size bode well for a 4th line center spot, it would make the most sense to plug him in Emmerton's spot if we start playing hockey in November. Can't see Shehan unseating Tootoo, and Andersson definitely seems higher than Sheahan in terms of getting called up with the Wings, so Andersson as a 4th line C seems probable. I think it would work out well because then Sheahan gets more minutes in GR and a bigger role, so that is better for his development anyway. He seems to be not getting much of a role or minutes as of now.
That is a likely scenario although there are some concerns voiced about whether Andersson has good enough wheels to be a center. It's the same thing with Abdelkader: he can play center but he's much more effective on the wing. So that's why I was suggesting Sheahan could center the fourth line since skating and defensive play are clear strengths. I agree he is much more likely to get big mins in GR to try and locate that offensive skill that went missing at Notre Dame.

Run the Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Why couldn't he have saved this for the regular season? Getting hurt in the offseason does us no good. At least somebody better would have gotten to play...

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 05:21 AM
joe89

Quote:
Yikes at the Griffins center depth if Andersson leaves the team. If Sheahan is ready to produce at a top6 pace in the AHL, it's just barely. Behind him there's no one really close. Yeah you can spoon-feed others with offensive minutes, but they're not really capable to lead the offense. I guess Pare would be the top line center. Not that I see this happening, Abdelkader will with no doubt center the 4th line with Emmerton out, he might even do it either way.

As for Andersson vs Sheahan, I don't think there's really a debate over who's more capable to lead a 4th line right now. Andersson is way ahead in his development.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Frk It
#TwentyFour

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Yikes at the Griffins center depth if Andersson leaves the team. If Sheahan is ready to produce at a top6 pace in the AHL, it's just barely. Behind him there's no one really close. Yeah you can spoon-feed others with offensive minutes, but they're not really capable to lead the offense. I guess Pare would be the top line center. Not that I see this happening, Abdelkader will with no doubt center the 4th line with Emmerton out, he might even do it either way.

As for Andersson vs Sheahan, I don't think there's really a debate over who's more capable to lead a 4th line right now. Andersson is way ahead in his development.
I was just looking at it from the Wings perspective. I think they would be a better team with Andersson at 4th line C than Emmerton as 4th line C. Guess I don't really care about the Griffins depth hahaha

Old
10-17-2012, 11:06 AM
cnot19

O well I thought he was done with the wings anyway, hopefully this only solidifies that.

cnot19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 04:25 PM
cjm502
#FireHolland

The Emmerton Commodore twitter bromance runs strong

cjm502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 05:33 PM
jroc86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
This makes our offense "problem" easier, if the season starts. We don't have to waive Emmerton, we can put him LTIR.

Franzen - Zetterberg - Brunner
Nyquist - Datsyuk - Bertuzzi
Cleary - Filppula - Samuelsson
Abdelkader - Helm - Tootoo
Miller, Mursak

Eaves LTIR
Emmerton LTIR
These lines are exactly what id like to see as well. Spread out 3 offensive lines with one fast/intense/in your face shutdown line. The last time we had the bodies to do this was 2009 with:

Hossa Dats Holmer
Franzen Zett Cleary
Hudler Filp Sammy
Helm Drapes Adbelkader

...if Brunner and Nyquist fit and produce 3 threatening scoring lines is a real possibility.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Nyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc86 View Post
These lines are exactly what id like to see as well. Spread out 3 offensive lines with one fast/intense/in your face shutdown line. The last time we had the bodies to do this was 2009 with:

Hossa Dats Holmer
Franzen Zett Cleary
Hudler Filp Sammy
Helm Drapes Adbelkader

...if Brunner and Nyquist fit and produce 3 threatening scoring lines is a real possibility.
The more I look at those lines, the more I like it as well. We would have two first lines basically and then one of the best third lines in the league. As much as I love Helm, having him as our third line center with all these top six/fringe top six players having our third line be a scoring one makes much more sense. If Brunner can transition to the NHL and Nyquist plays like he did last year with Datsyuk we could be looking at one of the best offenses in the league.

Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 06:45 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
With substantial movement made today, the problems for Emmerton seem very real. I wonder if you can IR a player injured while not playing under your contract? This is slightly different than a guy hurt in the off-season working out. The Wings won't have to pay him, but can he rehab at the Joe even if he is put on LTIR as a result of this? They will be withholding pay from him, will he even want to be around the facilities if that is the decision made?
Ilitch isn't a cheapskate.
Its good for Emmerton's development and this team that he went to Finland. He could have broken his finger skating in Troy.

This is a non-issue, IMO

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote