2013 NHL Draft Prospects I

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2013, 11:25 AM
forthewild

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I just can't see why the Wild would want to move significant pieces for a long-term prospect. They cashed in a bunch of chips for Pominville and signed Parise and Suter who will probably be most effective for the next few years. They're basically in win-now mode and this isn't the NFL where a low first round draft pick can be a big contributor right away.

If anything, I see him getting more mid-round picks to draft more boom or bust guys. That would make a hell of a lot more sense than drafting a kid who, if he makes it at all, will probably do so when the Wild's big name players are in their early- to mid-30's.
Depends on how they feel about a player. If Wild think the Cal is replaceable and he can get them back into the 1st I think they do it.

Its all a gamble and you never know where a team values a guy or not. I don't think we trade into the 1st but you never know. How many people saw the burns trade?

Old
06-03-2013, 08:55 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

why are people thinking we need to get back into the 1st round to get a good player???

Draft depth is good, we're gonna get a good one at 46.

Old
06-04-2013, 06:42 AM
tyratoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstroundbust View Post
why are people thinking we need to get back into the 1st round to get a good player???

Draft depth is good, we're gonna get a good one at 46.
Because people like first rounders and Cal will probably be expensive...and we don't really have that kind of money. Might as well get back into the 1st for him. Or at least try.

I would be content with sitting where we are with no trades, but I would lean toward getting some assets for Clutterbuck, myself.

Old
06-04-2013, 08:46 AM
nickschultzfan

Yeah, Cal + the later 3rd would be well worth it to move into picks 15-25 of the first.

A mid-1st would allow the Wild to do a lot. We could package Granlund + 1st to get a better young center. Or put together a larger package for a elite player. Or just draft a high-talent player for the prospect pool.

Old
06-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't think Cal + 3rd gets you into the first.

Old
06-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

The only big move we should make IMO is grab an extra pick in the 2nd. Maybe a 3rd+4th like we did to get Zucker.

Then we'll have #46, ~#55, #81 etc etc.

Old
06-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Not sure if it'll be of much interest, but we released our Final Ranking for the 2013 NHL Draft, which spotlights the top-30: http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-re...013-nhl-draft/

What may be more interesting is our 2013 NHL Draft Guide. We released it just four days ago and it's been surprisingly popular in Minnesota. It features a top-210 ranking with profiles to match, sleepers and a bunch of other features. 20 bucks lands you two PDF versions (one digital for tablets and one text for printing). If it's something you're interested in, check it out here: http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-re...l-draft-guide/

For those looking for something smaller (and free), we also have our Prospect Profilers on the site, a snapshot which features over 100 draft eligibles: http://futureconsiderations.ca/playe...earsearch=2013

06-04-2013, 08:42 PM
LemaireisGOD

Hmm....

I know lots about this year's prospects. I am not sold this is a deep draft. Once you're beyond the top 3 there seems to be lots and lots of question marks about players and that to me isn't a sign of strength. Its a sign of considerable speculation and risk (again, not something I'd say is an indicator of strength). Anyone else around here feel they have a good grasp of this year's class, anyone...Bueller...anyone?

Seriously now...

I'm looking for a few brave posters from here for a mock draft. I've tossed out a few messages around here and haven't had much success. Anyone game?

Last edited by LemaireisGOD: 06-05-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old
06-04-2013, 08:44 PM
LemaireisGOD

Not even close...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I don't think Cal + 3rd gets you into the first.
Cal certainly didn't help himself with the way things turned out this year. I agree, completely. You'll have to offer something more tempting...maybe an overhyped underperforming prospect?

Old
06-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers View Post
Not sure if it'll be of much interest, but we released our Final Ranking for the 2013 NHL Draft, which spotlights the top-30: http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-re...013-nhl-draft/

What may be more interesting is our 2013 NHL Draft Guide. We released it just four days ago and it's been surprisingly popular in Minnesota. It features a top-210 ranking with profiles to match, sleepers and a bunch of other features. 20 bucks lands you two PDF versions (one digital for tablets and one text for printing). If it's something you're interested in, check it out here: http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-re...l-draft-guide/

For those looking for something smaller (and free), we also have our Prospect Profilers on the site, a snapshot which features over 100 draft eligibles: http://futureconsiderations.ca/playe...earsearch=2013

Old
06-04-2013, 10:54 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

I'd just trade picks to try and move up. like said above, trade a 3rd and 4th or both 3rds to try and move up far. dont even start to mention granlunds name in some package deal. the kid will do fine

pick up a D man like chris bigras in the 3rd round? is that possible

Old
06-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
I'd just trade picks to try and move up. like said above, trade a 3rd and 4th or both 3rds to try and move up far. dont even start to mention granlunds name in some package deal. the kid will do fine

pick up a D man like chris bigras in the 3rd round? is that possible
Possibly but most likely at latest, VERY early 3rd.

Old
06-05-2013, 09:01 AM
LemaireisGOD

I think...

We can get some reasonable quality with our 2nd and 3rd round pick. But if you look at the differences between Central Scouting and ISS lists there is some distinctive differences of opinion there.

Danchan, please clear or cut down on your messages so I can send you one of my own. Thanks!

Old
06-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemaireisGOD View Post
We can get some reasonable quality with our 2nd and 3rd round pick. But if you look at the differences between Central Scouting and ISS lists there is some distinctive differences of opinion there.

Danchan, please clear or cut down on your messages so I can send you one of my own. Thanks!
Its clear! You should see my gmail: 2089 unread...

Old
06-05-2013, 09:19 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Continue to not understand the willingness to move Clutterbuck for a bump up in the draft. Not only are you weakening the team, it's certainly not a given you're getting a markedly better player considering how this regime has proven to draft in the mid rounds.

Moving Cal for an upgrade on the blue line, sure, that can be considered. But for a pick, don't see it. Especially when Clutterbuck was one of the few who shown positively in the playoffs and his game is what they will continue to need down the road in the playoffs if this team wants to have an impact. There's not a lot of players coming through the pike that can fill that type of role relatively soon.

As far as his cost, Clutterbuck isn't coming off of an extremely productive year. Don't see the need to worry about it.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
06-05-2013, 10:30 AM
SphinX
YouWantSome?

Ive been watching YT vids and read alot of prospect reports on Valeri Nichushkin lately..

He seems to be a guy to go somewhere in the middle of the first round, 15 +/-..

Would be awesome to get our hands on his rights...

What about giving someone Brett Bulmer, Clayton Stoner and a 4th rounder for a 15-20 pick?

Old
06-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Continue to not understand the willingness to move Clutterbuck for a bump up in the draft. Not only are you weakening the team, it's certainly not a given you're getting a markedly better player considering how this regime has proven to draft in the mid rounds.

Moving Cal for an upgrade on the blue line, sure, that can be considered. But for a pick, don't see it. Especially when Clutterbuck was one of the few who shown positively in the playoffs and his game is what they will continue to need down the road in the playoffs if this team wants to have an impact. There's not a lot of players coming through the pike that can fill that type of role relatively soon.

As far as his cost, Clutterbuck isn't coming off of an extremely productive year. Don't see the need to worry about it.
I think Cal will want $2m+ on a multi-year deal, and from what I've seen of him, I don't like him above the fourth line. He just doesn't have the offensive abilities to play even a regular third line shift. I just can't see signing a $2m+ fourth liner.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:41 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Cal Clutterbuck is just a 4th line player now? Couldn't possibly disagree more and that would be the general consensus league-wide as well. There's very few teams in the league that would skate him there.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Cal Clutterbuck is just a 4th line player now? Couldn't possibly disagree more and that would be the general consensus league-wide as well. There's very few teams in the league that would skate him there.
IMO a third liner is something like what Dupuis or Walz were with this team back in the day. They were solid defensively and could pop in 10-15 goals per year but also could cycle the puck and make offensive zone plays. If they were more consistent offensively, they'd be top six guys putting up 20+ goals and 50+ points. They aren't, but they're still capable of making plays and chipping in offensively with some regularity.

Clutterbuck to me doesn't have much to bring offensively outside his shot. I have very rarely seen him make any real plays with the puck in the offensive zone. Look at his assist totals through his career and it mirrors his offensive game, which begins and ends with shooting the puck. Which would be fine if he put up 25+ goals every year. But he doesn't.

Without the puck, he plays great defensively and obviously is incredibly physical. Which would make him an elite fourth liner IMO. Someone with speed and a physical presence who can play on the PK.

The other thing with Clutter is his tendency to completely disappear offensively down the stretch. His first year in the league, he went THIRTY games without a goal in Feb and March. Second year, FIFTEEN games without a goal, all of March, and one goal in 20 games to close the year. Third year, one goal in 21 games. Last year, two goals in TWENTY EIGHT games. This season, he had just four goals in 42 games.

There's no upward trend there. In a contract year he had the lowest offensive output of his career. We've also seen his hit totals decline the last few years (although perked up this year).

I just can't see a guy who pops in maybe 15 goals and 25 points a year on the third line with regularity. Maybe I'm overvaluing offense from a third liner, but you don't want to give 15+ minutes of ice time to a guy who's so limited offensively. A lot like Brodziak this year.

Really, I haven't seen the Wild with a quality third line since the Lemaire days. I'd rather let Clutter go and chase after someone like Bickell or Stalberg or Filppula.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Nsjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SphinX View Post
Ive been watching YT vids and read alot of prospect reports on Valeri Nichushkin lately..

What about giving someone Brett Bulmer, Clayton Stoner and a 4th rounder for a 15-20 pick?
Not enough.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SphinX View Post

Want to move into the 15-20 pick? You are going to have to give up Zack Phillips + #46 IMO

Old
06-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Want to move into the 15-20 pick? You are going to have to give up Zack Phillips + #46 IMO
If Nichuskin is available there. Thats a no brainer imo. But I think he goes top 10 and maybe top 5. The kid has so much potential. I think Monohan, Barkov and Nichuskin are the second level of prospects after the big three and will go high. Too bad we didn't still have our pick in the 1st. Would love to see one of those guys fall to us, or move up to grab one.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy BoBandy View Post
If Nichuskin is available there. Thats a no brainer imo. But I think he goes top 10 and maybe top 5. The kid has so much potential. I think Monohan, Barkov and Nichuskin are the second level of prospects after the big three and will go high. Too bad we didn't still have our pick in the 1st. Would love to see one of those guys fall to us, or move up to grab one.
Oh if Nichushkin is still there, price goes up. Blues gave up David Rundblad on draft day for Vladimir Taransenko (think that is how you spell it). We need to give up something similar, possibly Zucker+.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:50 PM
nickschultzfan

I get the argument that the Wild need "players like Clutterbuck", so we should therefore keep argument. However, I would suggest that the Wild need players "similiar but better" than Clutterbuck, but not Clutterbuck.

Instead, the Wild need:

1.) A big top-9 winger who can hit AND cycle the puck AND break the puck out effectively. Clutterbuck is a poor checking winger because he sucks on the break-out and can't effectively keep the puck in the offensive zone.

2.) An agitator that has a good amount of skill to play in the top-6. (i.e. Burrows, Marchand, etc.) Clutterbuck does not have much skill and negates his linesmate's offense.

3.) A true powerforward who can get points, win puck battles, and crash the net. Clutterbuck does not have the size or strength to win puck or position battles.

Clutterbuck is a step down from those three types "physical" top-9 forwards. Rather, Clutterbuck is actually just a really great bang-and-crash 4th liner pushed into a high role.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Haite
x

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Taransenko
Tarasenko.

There's no way Nichushkin is going to fall outside of top-10 - anyone of Jones, MacKinnon, Barkov, Drouin, Nichushkin and Lindholm could very well end up being the best player of the draft. People say that "the big three" is Jones, MacKinnon and Drouin but I wouldn't rate Drouin any higher than the rest of my "big six".

Closed Thread