HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Part XI: Morgan Rielly is God

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
I noticed some Marlies players changed their numbers.

Gardiner #19 (not sure if this is what he wore when he was playing in the playoffs last year or not)
Holzer #5
McKegg #39 (instead of his usual #69 rookie #)
Deschamps #9

Anyone notice any other numbers in that Eakins video?

Also, for those who watched that video - how good did Kadri look? He looked very good in that short video they showed of him.

I like what Devane (#33) was doing out there, too.
I might be wrong but I think Gards wanted 19 when he was here but lupul had dibs on it. Sort of like Franson and liles if I recall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Phaneuf View Post
Woo, got ma table back, thanks LR<3

Percy looked very good defensively tonight btw, also added an assist, was impressed.
No problem and glad to hear. I really hope he lights it up offensively, he was on an amazing pace last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
Finn first star, without any points in a 5-0 win? How da hell?

Must have been a beast defensively. Glad to hear.

10-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 95
Went to the OHL board to hopefully find out something about Finn's play tonight. Nobody has posted on the Guelph thread in a couple days, no luck there.

Old
10-04-2012, 10:10 PM
KlattNazty

think JE was watching the game tonight hopefully he has input

Old
10-04-2012, 10:36 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Good stuff. Can't wait to see Rielly (and Jones) play on Saturday.

Old
10-04-2012, 10:41 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

i watched the first 2 periods of the Guelph game. Finn didn't stand out much. He makes the simple play and it works 95% of the time. Not much to report other than he is obviously the "go-to" dman for the storm. Out every other shift, plays PP and PK.

definitely doesnt strike me as a guy who will be putting up big point totals. Just quietly goes about his business.

Think Gunnarsson.

Old
10-04-2012, 10:47 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
i watched the first 2 periods of the Guelph game. Finn didn't stand out much. He makes the simple play and it works 95% of the time. Not much to report other than he is obviously the "go-to" dman for the storm. Out every other shift, plays PP and PK.

definitely doesnt strike me as a guy who will be putting up big point totals. Just quietly goes about his business.

Think Gunnarsson.

he plays sort of like percy with a little more offence

Old
10-04-2012, 10:53 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post

Think Gunnarsson.
you should see some more of him, has alot more offensive potential than carl.

carl on the pp is useless. finn is an asset.

Old
10-04-2012, 11:16 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
he plays sort of like percy with a little more offence
eh, he's more physical than percy is. and i guess i just dont see the offensive upside that others do. i think his above average pt totals are more a testament to the fact that he's literally on the ice for guelph ALL THE TIME. he racks up a lot of secondary assists by virtue of him touching the puck a lot.

his defensive game is sound, and he's more than capable of contributing offensively here and there, i just think the d-men in junior who go on to put up big numbers in the pros show a lot more offensive flair and creativity than finn does currently.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:59 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

The D imo might look like:
Gardiner - Holzer
Blacker - Fraser
Ranger - Gysbers

The Forwards:
Kadri - Colborne - Frattin
Ashton - Aucoin - D'amigo
Deschamps - Zigomanis - Komarov
Hamilton - ? - Scott

roll all lines.

Old
10-05-2012, 06:19 AM
Happy Fan
one big happy family

Anybody at that Storm game where Finn got the 1st star without getting any points? Must have been a hell of a performance defensively.

Old
10-05-2012, 06:44 AM
SprDaVE

Leivo with 2 goals and Percy with an assist.

Old
10-05-2012, 06:45 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazedRink View Post
Anybody at that Storm game where Finn got the 1st star without getting any points? Must have been a hell of a performance defensively.
I'm [im]patiently waiting for John-Eric's assessment of the game as he said he was attending it I believe.

Old
10-05-2012, 07:43 AM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

I think this will be the standard Matt Finn game summary:

-A calming influence whenever on the ice
-Makes the simple correct play
-Makes a good first pass
-Anticipates plays
-Positional sound
-plays big mins
-Nothing spectacular, just gets the job done

Old
10-05-2012, 07:53 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post

-Makes a good first pass
-Anticipates plays
-Positional sound
-plays big mins

That's great but that doesn't deserve the first star in normal circumstances over a shutout performance... or even over any performances.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:03 AM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
That's great but that doesn't deserve the first star in normal circumstances over a shutout performance... or even over any performances.
It's always easier to notice big points than subtle value in players, this is what makes the game of hockey so great. You can't have 6 Morgan Rielly's on your D nor is it wise to have 6 Matt Finn's, this is where intangible value has to be considered, it's harder to make an argument for this on hockey boards, goals and assists are easy to measure. They are instant, but ask Burke or Carlyle, safe mins is just as valuable than high risk mins.

I am pretty sure Matt was out against Brady Vail last night, and given Windsor didn't score, this is why Matt was the first star. Shut him down.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:20 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Shutting down Brady Vail doesn't get you the first star, sorry. Lol.

Maybe if he shut down Kerby, and neutralized Ho-Sang....

Someone said prior to this, EXACTLY what I think of Finn. Maplehawk, maybe. People are gushing over this kid, but I see a far more pedestrian version of the player everyone raves about.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:26 AM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Shutting down Brady Vail doesn't get you the first star, sorry. Lol.

Maybe if he shut down Kerby, and neutralized Ho-Sang....

Someone said prior to this, EXACTLY what I think of Finn. Maplehawk, maybe. People are gushing over this kid, but I see a far more pedestrian version of the player everyone raves about.
We differ a lot on player's value, I am not surprised we differ on Finn; however I am glad someone recognizes the value of an understated defender.

I don't want to bring up Gally in this thread but I think it illustrates a point in this thread I want to make. Gally looks so talented out there, people marvel about his talents. He has an overstatement of talents oozing out of him, yet in the US summer camp and this year in the OHL thus far, his pointsand play have been underwhelming.

So what player do you want, a flashy underachiever, or an understated overachiever?

BTW Brady Vail up until Finn shut him down had 9 pts in 4 games this season, insignificant?

Old
10-05-2012, 08:29 AM
John-Eric Iannicello

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
think JE was watching the game tonight hopefully he has input
Quote:
I'm [im]patiently waiting for John-Eric's assessment of the game as he said he was attending it I believe.
Quote:

-Makes a good first pass
-Anticipates plays
-Positional sound
-plays big mins
Quote:
Ok ok...

I thought he played a strong game, but he seemed to have trouble getting pucks through from the blue line from what I saw. I wasn't 'at' the game (currently battling bronchitis), but I watched it on television. He's certainly a work horse for their team, but that's nothing new. Think he's got the defensive side down, he showed really good recovery when he was beaten also. He played/plays a ton of minutes, so he probably stood out to the folks making the star selections. I do wonder if all those minutes are beneficial. It was only one game, but to me he seemed to slow down as the game went on (this could be different to those who view him regularly).

Interactif's generalization of Finn is pretty bang on. People who expect him to be a standout with flash won't be impressed by him, but his approach to the game and the way he thinks it makes him valuable. Like Percy, he's one of those guys who really brings a balance to a defensive core and is valuable in a top-four because of the diversity in their game (all-round type).

Sparks did not get tested much at all in the game, which is why he likely didn't get 1st star honors. He made the stops when he had to and didn't give up much.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:32 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
We differ a lot on player's value, I am not surprised we differ on Finn; however I am glad someone recognizes the value of an understated defender.

I don't want to bring up Gally in this thread but I think it illustrates a point in this thread I want to make. Gally looks so talented out there, people marvel about his talents. He has an overstatement of talents oozing out of him, yet in the US summer camp and this year in the OHL thus far, his pointsand play have been underwhelming.

So what player do you want, a flashy underachiever, or an understated overachiever?

BTW Brady Vail up until Finn shut him down had 9 pts in 4 games this season, insignificant?
If we are talking about unfinished products I'll take the talent, not the one playing over his head. Playing over their heads is a temporary thing, that won't continue.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
Old
10-05-2012, 08:41 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
If we are talking about unfinished products I'll take the talent, not the one playing over his head. Playing over their heads is a temporary thing, that won't continue.
Exactly.

And why bring up Gally, anyways? Not the same position, nor type of player.

Troolllllin'

Old
10-05-2012, 08:49 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Ok ok...

I thought he played a strong game, but he seemed to have trouble getting pucks through from the blue line from what I saw. I wasn't 'at' the game (currently battling bronchitis), but I watched it on television. He's certainly a work horse for their team, but that's nothing new. Think he's got the defensive side down, he showed really good recovery when he was beaten also. He played/plays a ton of minutes, so he probably stood out to the folks making the star selections. I do wonder if all those minutes are beneficial. It was only one game, but to me he seemed to slow down as the game went on (this could be different to those who view him regularly).

Interactif's generalization of Finn is pretty bang on. People who expect him to be a standout with flash won't be impressed by him, but his approach to the game and the way he thinks it makes him valuable. Like Percy, he's one of those guys who really brings a balance to a defensive core and is valuable in a top-four because of the diversity in their game (all-round type).

Sparks did not get tested much at all in the game, which is why he likely didn't get 1st star honors. He made the stops when he had to and didn't give up much.
Cheers.

I wasn't against his generalization of Finn. I think it's pretty accurate as well. Those games however don't get you third star of a game, never mind the first star, which is why I (and most) people asummed he had an absolute great game. Perhaps over 10 blocked shots and 10 take-aways, etc.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:51 AM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Exactly.

And why bring up Gally, anyways? Not the same position, nor type of player.

Troolllllin'
Tolling? lol. I was making a point. Please read it, and think about what I said. It's crystal clear. Efficiency > Flash while not in every case, it is some cases.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:54 AM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Ok ok...

He's a player that will grow on people I believe, people may recall Sylvain Lefebvre, think of Finn as him with more offensive upside.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:56 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
The D imo might look like:
Gardiner - Holzer
Blacker - Fraser
Ranger - Gysbers

The Forwards:
Kadri - Colborne - Frattin
Ashton - Aucoin - D'amigo
Deschamps - Zigomanis - Komarov
Hamilton - ? - Scott

roll all lines.
Gysbers in over Kostka and Yeo? Why?

Old
10-05-2012, 08:59 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Tolling? lol. I was making a point. Please read it, and think about what I said. It's crystal clear. Efficiency > Flash while not in every case, it is some cases.
You've been parading Gally's slow start for awhile now. He's not a defenseman, and if you want to get technical, when it comes to talent and ability, Finn couldn't tie his boots.

Why can't you like a prospect without bagging on another?

You're a sad old man, it seems.

Closed Thread