HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Part XI: Morgan Rielly is God

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2012, 03:35 PM
zeke
#freewilly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Pretty sure Eakins says if McKegg is getting used this year, he's going to be doing it on the top 6. I think that means D'Amigo moves down to the third line and McKegg takes the 2nd.. Or it'd be nice to see Kadri with McKegg
D'Amigo and McKegg are both best served in the top-6.

If a guy should drop down, it should be Scott.

Of course, if Zigomanis is centring the '3rd' line, then is it really even a third line, given that he was the team's leading scorer last year?

Looks to me more like a "top-9 / Bottom-3" set up to me......if anything, that Ashton-Colborne-D'Amigo line looks more like a typical 3rd line to me.

P.S. Ross better be on the marlies. He's too good a prospect to be sent down to the purgatory that is the ECHL.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:07 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Small Defencemen, his offensive game will have to get him to the NHL, he's too small to be a dominant pro.
Too small to be a dominant pro?

Erik Karlsson is 5'10, 190
Scott Niedermayer is 6'0, 200
Duncan Keith is 6'0, 200
Cam Fowler is 6'1, 200
Christian Ehrhoff is 6'1, 200
Drew Doughty is 6'0, 215
Keith Yandle is 6'1, 195

So please explain why Rielly, who is a high-end skater and has great awareness, is too small to be a dominant pro? He finished top 5 (IIRC) in every event at the combine and first in the grip strength and stands at 6'0, 210. That's not small at all.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Pretty sure Eakins says if McKegg is getting used this year, he's going to be doing it on the top 6. I think that means D'Amigo moves down to the third line and McKegg takes the 2nd.. Or it'd be nice to see Kadri with McKegg
I think Eakins knows he has that offensive flare, but I feel like he'll take the approach of bringing him from the third line to the top six, sort of how his coach approached him in Erie. It's a good thing to as it will very much help get his engine going when he isn't producing offensively and hopefully rectify his first step for skating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
Gardiner-Kostka? mabye.
I predict Aucoin will play centre for Naz and scott.

I also suspect that Fraser-Holzer will play on a higher role than 3rd D pairing. They'll rack up ice time. I was at the Marlies training camp today and Holzer was really solid and they all seemed to develop chemistry. I got the day off schoolllll. With Kostka playing on opening night that still leaves us with Gysbers and Yeo. Deep.
It's a possibilty, both Gysber and Kostka brings that two-way game for sure. I am unsure about it in general, maybe JE chime in on this.

As for the Aucoin playing center, I personally don't see it tbh. I think Eakins wants Kadri to fully get into the center role and he also must know leaf brass view him as an core piece for the future. So I'd hope he lets him sink into the center just like the last half of the season. He was also playing center in the scrimmages according to Hendricks, so I don't see it changing in the foreseeable future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
That took a little finnagling but I fixed it. Radio Feeds merged in to OP post.
I love our Mod crew, damn dedicated to this place

Thanks Broski!

10-05-2012, 04:19 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
D'Amigo and McKegg are both best served in the top-6.

If a guy should drop down, it should be Scott.

Of course, if Zigomanis is centring the '3rd' line, then is it really even a third line, given that he was the team's leading scorer last year?

Looks to me more like a "top-9 / Bottom-3" set up to me......if anything, that Ashton-Colborne-D'Amigo line looks more like a typical 3rd line to me.
Dallas likes to run with his vets(in terms of service time not age) for consistency alot of the time so don't be surprised if guys like Hamilton and Scott find their way into the top 6. The team will have 3 solid scoring lines no matter how things are organized.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Too small to be a dominant pro?

Erik Karlsson is 5'10, 190
Scott Niedermayer is 6'0, 200
Duncan Keith is 6'0, 200
Cam Fowler is 6'1, 200
Christian Ehrhoff is 6'1, 200
Drew Doughty is 6'0, 215
Keith Yandle is 6'1, 195

So please explain why Rielly, who is a high-end skater and has great awareness, is too small to be a dominant pro? He finished top 5 (IIRC) in every event at the combine and first in the grip strength and stands at 6'0, 210. That's not small at all.

If anything, most elite or dominant D-man in the NHL have historically been either 6 ft or just under. Don't know what point OP is trying to make, but you don't have to be the size of a Pronger or Chara to be considered a dominant D-man.

Edit: Just saw that the OP was FreeBird. Well that explains everything then.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:24 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

My best guess at what the lineup will look like (and mind you it's extremely early even though there's only 2 exhibition games).

This is based off camp so far, and what the opening lineup may look like. My guess is they'll balance the lines a lot at the start, and then the roster will take form a few weeks in. The lines are always juggled (or so it seemed last year), so I wouldn't take anything as 'in stone' (especially with this much depth, players will likely be rotated in like clockwork).

Notes (and some others have mentioned these):
- Eakins wants to try out Aucoin at center to start, and mentioned the line of Kadri/Aucoin/Scott as a line that stood out to him. Same for Ashton/Colborne.
- Mentioned Fraser/Holzer as a pair, and Blacker/Ranger as a pair that stood out.
- Eakins used Acton a lot last year in PK roles, and seemed to like him so I imagine he has an inside track on a depth spot. Eakin's also had strong opinions on Kenny Ryan, who paid his dues in the ECHL last season and could be a strong fit in the bottom line.
- Eakins also mentioned that he could carry a '5th' line, which I imagine will be rotated in fairly often. I forget what the roster rule is, but I believe the AHL rosters can hold an extra player or two on their game rosters...(too lazy to look it up).

Nazem Kadri - Keith Aucoin - Greg Scott
Nicholas Deschamps - Mike Zigomanis - Ryan Hamilton
Carter Ashton - Joe Colborne - Jerry D'Amigo
Kenny Ryan - Will Acton - Leo Komarov
Spencer Abbott - Greg McKegg - Brad Ross
*IR: Matt Frattin
*: Colton Orr?

Mark Fraser - Korbinian Holzer
Jake Gardiner - Mike Kostka
Jesse Blacker - Paul Ranger
Simon Gysbers - Dylan Yeo

ECHL: Andrew Crescenzi, Jamie Devane, Sam Carrick, Tyler Brenner. (All these guys won't hurt from a bit of time in more primary roles in the ECHL - casualities of the roster squeeze).

Ben Scrivens
Mark Owuya

Anyone know the situation with Colton Orr? I imagine if he's with the Marlies he'll play as a spare and rotate in when needed.

10-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
My best guess at what the lineup will look like (and mind you it's extremely early even though there's only 2 exhibition games).

This is based off camp so far, and what the opening lineup may look like. My guess is they'll balance the lines a lot at the start, and then the roster will take form a few weeks in. The lines are always juggled (or so it seemed last year), so I wouldn't take anything as 'in stone' (especially with this much depth, players will likely be rotated in like clockwork).

Notes (and some others have mentioned these):
- Eakins wants to try out Aucoin at center to start, and mentioned the line of Kadri/Aucoin/Scott as a line that stood out to him. Same for Ashton/Colborne.
- Mentioned Fraser/Holzer as a pair, and Blacker/Ranger as a pair that stood out.
- Eakins used Acton a lot last year in PK roles, and seemed to like him so I imagine he has an inside track on a depth spot. Eakin's also had strong opinions on Kenny Ryan, who paid his dues in the ECHL last season and could be a strong fit in the bottom line.
- Eakins also mentioned that he could carry a '5th' line, which I imagine will be rotated in fairly often. I forget what the roster rule is, but I believe the AHL rosters can hold an extra player or two on their game rosters...(too lazy to look it up).

Nazem Kadri - Keith Aucoin - Greg Scott
Nicholas Deschamps - Mike Zigomanis - Ryan Hamilton
Carter Ashton - Joe Colborne - Jerry D'Amigo
Kenny Ryan - Will Acton - Leo Komarov
Spencer Abbott - Greg McKegg - Brad Ross
*IR: Matt Frattin
*: Colton Orr?

Mark Fraser - Korbinian Holzer
Jake Gardiner - Mike Kostka
Jesse Blacker - Paul Ranger
Simon Gysbers - Dylan Yeo

ECHL: Andrew Crescenzi, Jamie Devane, Sam Carrick, Tyler Brenner. (All these guys won't hurt from a bit of time in more primary roles in the ECHL - casualities of the roster squeeze).

Ben Scrivens
Mark Owuya

Anyone know the situation with Colton Orr? I imagine if he's with the Marlies he'll play as a spare and rotate in when needed.
Orr isn't eligible to play for our team. Off the top of my head I believe we are allowed to carry two extra-players, I could be wrong though. So that would give us a situation where we carry Rynnas and Owuya, along with an extra forward. Kenny Ryan made a good impression yes. Frattin will come back he is ready.

As far the center thing with Aucoin this is the first I'm hearing it from you, so something must have come in the news lol.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:35 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Appreciate the insight as always on the roster JE.

As for Orr. He was a healthy scratch at times last year. It will be almost impossible to fit him into a lineup that's become very competitive. Something tells me Burke will have a conversation with him and ask him if he'd rather play once a week, or be bought out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Orr isn't eligible to play for out team.
What do you mean by he's not eligible?

Old
10-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Kulemon

Guelph game tonight. I'll keep an eye on Finn and Sparks.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Guelph game tonight. I'll keep an eye on Finn and Sparks.
One on each or one split between the two?

Old
10-05-2012, 04:39 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Orr isn't eligible to play for our team. Off the top of my head I believe we are allowed to carry two extra-players, I could be wrong though. So that would give us a situation where we carry Rynnas and Owuya, along with an extra forward. Kenny Ryan made a good impression yes. Frattin will come back he is ready.

As far the center thing with Aucoin this is the first I'm hearing it from you, so something must have come in the news lol.
The latest video interviews on the Maple Leaf's website has Eakins' speaking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post

As for Orr. He was a healthy scratch at times last year. It will be almost impossible to fit him into a lineup that's become very competitive. Something tells me Burke will have a conversation with him and ask him if he'd rather play once a week, or be bought out.
Yeah I know, I just figured if he was eligible he'd slide in if there was some toughness needed. Orr put a beat down a few people last year. Not 100% sure of his status though.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:

What do you mean by he's not eligible?
I think it's due to his contract or something, I honestly don't remember the actual causes but he isn't allowed anymore.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:44 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post
If anything, most elite or dominant D-man in the NHL have historically been either 6 ft or just under. Don't know what point OP is trying to make, but you don't have to be the size of a Pronger or Chara to be considered a dominant D-man.

Edit: Just saw that the OP was FreeBird. Well that explains everything then.
Yeah it's an expected comment from him. It's hard to tell if he's a troll or just really doesn't like Brian Burke and anything to do with him.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
The latest video interviews on the Maple Leaf's website has Eakins' speaking about it.
From what I recall it said he was rotating centers if needed right ? Since Scott was also a center along with Aucoin and Kadri in the juniors and what not. Maybe I'm misinterpreting it then

Old
10-05-2012, 04:45 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
I think it's due to his contract or something, I honestly don't remember the actual causes but he isn't allowed anymore.
I think what you're talking about is that he has to clear waivers in order to play for the Marlies this year. I could be wrong though. I'll do some research on it later. Watching baseball.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
I think what you're talking about is that he has to clear waivers in order to play for the Marlies this year. I could be wrong though. I'll do some research on it later. Watching baseball.
That's it I believe.

Also JE: I just saw what you are talking with the "sit down" video part 2 but I think that was before the scrimmages and what not. I could be wrong though lol.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Borjes Baumingdyk
Haemorrhaging syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Only if he's built like this....lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marty.jpg‎ (7.0 KB, 1 views)

Old
10-05-2012, 04:57 PM
IBeL13f
There Is Pain Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmythesMinions View Post
Only if he's built like this....lol
What hump?

Old
10-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Borjes Baumingdyk
Haemorrhaging syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
What hump?
Well played my friend, well played

Old
10-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I'll probably mix it up

Old
10-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

Broll with another 2 assists so far tonight!

Old
10-05-2012, 06:29 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsJacob8 View Post
Broll with another 2 assists so far tonight!
Both primary assists to boot. I'm impressed thus far. Early going yet though, must...temper...expectations. :p

Old
10-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Broll is going to crush last year points totals and is a Brashier sized player with obvious huge physical strength even more than Biggs.

He is getting points by the bucket and will likely be a PPG player ++ this year and could be a huge surprise for the Leafs

Old
10-05-2012, 06:42 PM
#Stamkos2016

vCash: 262
Going to see the Steelheads vs the Storm on Nov 21st, free tickets!

I think Mississauga should play Percy and Cord together, not sure if Cord can play the right side though, looks like it'd be a good pairing.

Edit: Sparks gets beat on the second shot of the game, and Colts score, goes in off Percy.

Old
10-05-2012, 06:43 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Alright gang, I need an AHL expert, but isn't it an unlimited roster size in the AHL and they play a lot of 3 in 3 nights? Won't they keep a few extras and everyone plays 2 of 3 games?

Closed Thread