HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyler Biggs's discussion thread.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Pilgore88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
You are quoting something he had published pre-draft, when he weighed in at 210. Duh.

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 08:42 AM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
+1

Biggs is much closer to Armstrong (pre-injury) type (but with more size) than he is to Brown in terms of projected potential IMO.

Physical two-way third liner who can put up ~15 goals a season.
Armstrong is small, and really not that physical. He just works hard.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Kirkpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
I'm going to see Biggs v Finn this friday night.
Awesome. Give us a scouting report after the game!

Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 09:22 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
That's why I said Armstrong with more size. I would say Armstrong was pretty physical (when in his prime).

Point is, that a lot of people are making Brown/Lucic comparisons, which I don't think are valid. I'd be very surprised if Biggs ever became a consistent 50+ point guy.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 09:24 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkpatrick View Post
Awesome. Give us a scouting report after the game!
I believe this game is on Friday Night hockey on sportsnet.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I don't necessarily take offense to the fact he may turn into 3rd liner. If he's a 3rd line power forward..I think that's valuable. Perhaps it's just due to the fact the team has lacked that type of player for a while, but even a Chad Kilger had some real value when he played (and IMO left a bit of a void when he left). If Biggs scores 15-20 goals and adds serious sandpaper and leadership.. could be a really nice compliment to a skilled player. I don't think there are many players like that in the NHL currently, and if there are they are usually in demand.
I agree with anything top 9 Tyler will be a very valuable player in the NHL, with all the intangibles he brings to the table. A player like this is harder to find than the average at worst 3rd liner. I see him as a guy you can put on the top 2 lines against Boston if the coach decides to, and comfortable enough to be a tough checking 3rd line forward that provides a physical presence without the Rosie situation of last year of playing only 2 to 3 shifts. Very valuable, this is why he remains the most interesting prospect for me that is not playing in the pros. We haven't had a guy like this since, Roberts and Clark.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
You are quoting something he had published pre-draft, when he weighed in at 210. Duh.
The article was published on Oct 15, 2012. Tyler already went to the prospects camp months before, it was well documented to the Leafs fans ahead of the curve he had grown into a 6"3 224Lbs frame this year.

Old
10-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
The article was published on Oct 15, 2012. Tyler already went to the prospects camp months before, it was well documented to the smarter Leafs fans he had grown into a 6"3 224Lbs frame this year.
"Update: I remember in the long long ago before Tyler Biggs was drafted I did a profile on him as a potential target for the Leafs, please note who I thought was a fair comparable for him."

This is above the snippet you took. Meaning he worte it before Biggs was drafted, the date the article was published means nothing toward the quote.

Old
10-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Interactif

Quote:
"Update: I remember in the long long ago before Tyler Biggs was drafted I did a profile on him as a potential target for the Leafs, please note who I thought was a fair comparable for him."

This is above the snippet you took. Meaning he worte it before Biggs was drafted, the date the article was published means nothing toward the quote.
If you are making a case that a reporter/blogger is quoting current stats through 10 OHL games this year, but is stating his reported size from 1 year and 3 months ago when he was drafted is accurate, or more aptly lazy, or half assed reporting. You have succeeded. Atleast be bright enough to use his current size when probably 90% of this forum knows Tyler is 6'3 224lbs and not 6"2 210Lbs.

Old
10-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Dark Passenger

I had some concerns about drafting Biggs with our first round pick back when he got drafted. In reading scouting reports, just seemed to me like his skill set was something that could be founder later on in the draft. After watching him a couple of times on TV and a couple of times live this year, my concerns still exist. Not sure he has the hockey sense or the finesse in his game to become a top six forward. A big, stronger Mike Brown is how he looks at this time. Comparing him to Boone Jenner, team mate and drafted in 2nd round, Jenner looks better in almost every category.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Edbleafs

nobody in their right mind think biggs will be a top 6 fwd he will be a 3rd liner at best with physically, size and have a hardnose to the net. oh ya he is good on the corner and cycle the pucks i have watch 6 osh generals game already

Edbleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbleafs View Post
nobody in their right mind think biggs will be a top 6 fwd he will be a 3rd liner at best with physically, size and have a hardnose to the net. oh ya he is good on the corner and cycle the pucks i have watch 6 osh generals game already
I think he has 2nd line potential and I'm in my right mind.

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
If you are making a case that a reporter/blogger is quoting current stats through 10 OHL games this year, but is stating his reported size from 1 year and 3 months ago when he was drafted is accurate, or more aptly lazy, or half assed reporting. You have succeeded. Atleast be bright enough to use his current size when probably 90% of this forum knows Tyler is 6'3 224lbs and not 6"2 210Lbs.
He wasn't giving his size at all, he was showing everyone what he wrote about Biggs prior to being drafted. What his opinions were before his start to this year. You are pointing out that you can't take him serious because his information is incorrect. It isn't, you are calling him wrong because he said he was 6-2 210 before he was drafted, which he was.

I am sure he knows he has gained weight, I doubt he knew that a year and a half ago when he made the quote you are taking out of context.

Old
10-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Interactif

Quote:
He wasn't giving his size at all, he was showing everyone what he wrote about Biggs prior to being drafted. What his opinions were before his start to this year. You are pointing out that you can't take him serious because his information is incorrect. It isn't, you are calling him wrong because he said he was 6-2 210 before he was drafted, which he was.

I am sure he knows he has gained weight, I doubt he knew that a year and a half ago when he made the quote you are taking out of context.
Well you choose to excuse it, that's fine, that's your choice. It's a negative blog if one examines the words, Chad Kilger 2.0(Kilger could never fight, Biggs can, Biggs was a captain for Team USA, Chad wasn't captain of anything, just to point out 2 differences)

Biggs Numbers are Small he asserts, he seems to take delight in the fact Biggs scored 2 empty net goals this season, where Gretzky I believe has the NHL record for most empty net goals, infact Lucic a player Tyler is compared to, had 7 the year he scored 30, scoring on weaker teams, well who doesn't? The blogger is a lazy negative cosmonaut that couldn't even mention Tyler's correct size. That's how I view the article for it's worth. Nitpicky at best.

Old
10-30-2012, 11:23 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Well you choose to excuse it, that's fine, that's your choice. It's a negative blog if one examines the words, Chad Kilger 2.0(Kilger could never fight, Biggs can, Biggs was a captain for Team USA, Chad wasn't captain of anything, just to point out 2 differences)

Biggs Numbers are Small he asserts, he seems to take delight in the fact Biggs scored 2 empty net goals this season, where Gretzky I believe has the NHL record for most empty net goals, infact Lucic a player Tyler is compared to, had 7 the year he scored 30, scoring on weaker teams, well who doesn't? The blogger is a lazy negative cosmonaut that couldn't even mention Tyler's correct size. That's how I view the article for it's worth. Nitpicky at best.
The quote is a direct quote off of what he wrote a year ago, why would he change it? Would you change an exact quote to be "up-to-date" if it has no true bearing on the context?

As for what he says about Biggs, is it really that horrible to have a 15 goal scoring 3rd liner who hits like a truck and can fight when needed? Even if that's the case, look at a David Clarkson who really isn't skilled to be considered a true top 6 guy (get rid of last year if you want, Devils fans still wouldn't trade him 18 months ago), but the Devils can put him on any line and he fits right in...

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 11:53 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbleafs View Post
Players are not drafted to be projected as third liners at best as you put it. Realistically, I think a third liner is likely where he ends up but to write him off this early would be foolish. He's got the size to be a grinding type of second line guy. I don't think he'll ever set the score sheet on fire but he can bring that Lucic type of element where he creates room for skilled players,provides protection,can get to the net and create havoc etc. Things that may not end up on the scoresheet but can be critical especially come playoff time. Finding hard nosed players who can skate and shoot is not easy.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 07:40 PM
DeputyMcLaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
I believe this game is on Friday Night hockey on sportsnet.
Yes it is on Sportsnet, at 7PM I believe.

DeputyMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 08:06 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 563
I like his physical game and toughness, but he really needs to improve his footspeed and offensive instincts...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 08:12 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
I had some concerns about drafting Biggs with our first round pick back when he got drafted. In reading scouting reports, just seemed to me like his skill set was something that could be founder later on in the draft. After watching him a couple of times on TV and a couple of times live this year, my concerns still exist. Not sure he has the hockey sense or the finesse in his game to become a top six forward. A big, stronger Mike Brown is how he looks at this time. Comparing him to Boone Jenner, team mate and drafted in 2nd round, Jenner looks better in almost every category.
Sure Jenner looks better. Lots of kids looked better than Cal Clutterbuck in junior. That said, Biggs game will translate well into the bigs. He's be a good, tough 3rd liner. Jenner might not be talented enough for the top 6 or tough enough for the bottom. Fact is -- you need player like Biggs. If you've ever watched the Leafs play the Bruins you can easily see how a player like Biggs would offer more than Jenner.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Wait, why can't both Biggs and Jenner be good players in the NHL?

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Sterling31
Takin' Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Sure Jenner looks better. Lots of kids looked better than Cal Clutterbuck in junior. That said, Biggs game will translate well into the bigs. He's be a good, tough 3rd liner. Jenner might not be talented enough for the top 6 or tough enough for the bottom. Fact is -- you need player like Biggs. If you've ever watched the Leafs play the Bruins you can easily see how a player like Biggs would offer more than Jenner.
It's really hard to not like Jenner, the guy never stops skating. At this point we cant even compare, Jenner is a far better hockey player. Regardless if he is a bit smaller, he is all effort and determination, every shift. (I would take him in a game against the Bruins, any day) Biggs hasn't shown it all that much. Last game i went to, the coach was screaming at him 'SKATE TYLER!' when he was on the ice.

It will take a bit of time, but he still has a ton to show. I'm more then looking forward to seeing how he progresses.

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 10:11 PM
BillP

your predictions will only harm our prospects. comparisons to lucic, brown, malone are absolutely useless. let tyler biggs be himself, let him play his way and stop setting a bar. prospect = potential. LET HIM GROW.

BillP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 10:35 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
Armstrong is 6'2.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 08:41 AM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Armstrong is 6'2.
And have you seen the guy? He's probably no larger than 180-190 pounds.. He's quite scrawny for an pro hockey player.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 08:57 AM
DeputyMcLaren

Armstrong in his Pittsburgh, and Atlanta days used to throw his weight around ALOT, he isn't soft by any means he just cant fight his way out of a wet paper bag. Armstrong was a VERY physical player in his prime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9RuldyPcIA .....around the 1 minute mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFp2dlMrv0c ....listen to the announcer say "Colby Armstrong and one of his punishing hits"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U6-d8frhko ......a little dirty, but again the announcer says "Looks like one of his hits from the other night"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqRDYUttHbE ....huge.

Armstrong could smash people when he wanted to.

Last edited by DeputyMcLaren: 11-02-2012 at 09:06 AM.
DeputyMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote