HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyler Biggs's discussion thread.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
I believe this game is on Friday Night hockey on sportsnet.
Yes it is, and its being promoted as Leafs prospect match-up as Tyler Biggs and his Oshawa teammates take on Matt Finn and his Guelph Storm tonight. Games at 7:00 pm EST

You can catch 2 top Leaf prospects in action for anyone interested.

11-02-2012, 09:46 AM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Yes it is, and its being promoted as Leafs prospect match-up as Tyler Biggs and his Oshawa teammates take on Matt Finn and his Guelph Storm tonight. Games at 7:00 pm EST

You can catch 2 top Leaf prospects in action for anyone interested.
Garrett Sparks is also the Storm's starting goaltender, though I have no idea if he's playing tonight or not. Hopefully Biggs manages to have a good night without taking away from the games of Finn and possibly Sparks.

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 09:49 AM
NaiveLeafsFan

I still don't understand why traded up when players like Jenner, Puempel, Philips, Saad, Rattie et. al. we're still on the board.

I really wish we had Rattie now...

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveLeafsFan View Post
I still don't understand why traded up when players like Jenner, Puempel, Philips, Saad, Rattie et. al. we're still on the board.

Sens/Pens could have drafted Biggs if the Leafs did not take him.

Biggs was originally thought of as a possible top 10 pick, but his draft stock declined a bit, some scouts thought he was too undisciplined.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:09 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:

I personally would've taken Jenner or Saad, I'll admit Saad wasn't on my radar but is looking great post draft, but Jenner was someone I was targeting since the Philly trade. Then again Biggs may not be the best offensively but could turn out to one of the most league wide favourited/hated player Lucic or Clark -esque.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:

Well guaranteed Matt Puempel and Zach Phillips would have been gone had Leafs stayed at #30 as they went previously.

However Leafs also had the 25th pick (took Stuart Percy) and that pick could have been used on any of those players excluding Puempel who went #24.

Leafs traded the 30th + 39th picks to obtain Biggs and that was very costly, as there were good players left on the board.. So in the future we will have to see if this was worth it, when things start to unfold, with hindsight.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Gotye View Post
Sens/Pens could have drafted Biggs if the Leafs did not take him.

Biggs was originally thought of as a possible top 10 pick, but his draft stock declined a bit, some scouts thought he was too undisciplined.
Which scouting agency had Biggs as a potential top 10 at one time as I don't recall that?.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Which scouting agency had Biggs as a potential top 10 at one time as I don't recall that?.
The highest I recall seeing him was 15th. I know Saad was considered a top ten pick at one point by the ISS (before the new year, iirc) and he plummeted down the rankings leading up to the draft.

On the subject of wanting other guys over Biggs, and the trading up to get the pick; I feel its a little early to judge which players selected in that range will have the biggest impacts in the NHL. Junior stats are nice, but we have no idea who's game will translate to the next level. Mess is correct in saying it will take a few years to judge, and use hindsight to recognize who would have been the best pick.

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
I had him too high. Bob Mckenzie had him as 15gth best:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=44970

Also dubbed him most physical and best fighter of that class. And ranked ahead of Jenner, Rattie and Saad as BPA at the time.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:18 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

I like the Biggs pick and don't have a problem with it, but looking back drafting Jenner, Saad or Rattie might've been better than drafting Percy.

I like Percy but he's simply a safe top 4 d-man in my eyes while Jenner/Saad/Rattie are potential top-line calibre players.

Jenner and Saad both have size and Jenner is also a centre. Rattie is ridiculously skilled.

It would've been nice to have one of those guys but then again we haven't seen any of these guys in the NHL except Saad and his 2 games which don't prove anything.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Gotye View Post
I had him too high. Bob Mckenzie had him as 15gth best:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=44970

Also dubbed him most physical and best fighter of that class. And ranked ahead of Jenner, Rattie and Saad as BPA at the time.
His size and physical presence the reason for the ranking more than his skills, and Leafs trade up because he is a Burke style player.

From the same link ..

Quote:
Weaknesses - Feet and hands are average, limited offensive upside, lacks creativity. Prone to taking bad penalties, will need more discipline.
NHL Upside - Has been compared to Los Angeles Kings' forward Kyle Clifford. Should be a tough, intimidating second or third-line winger who will battle hard.
So this wasn't a player that fell in the rankings, but rather one where goals and assists not the reason he was selected where he was at #22 overall. Players drafted after him will likely outscore him at the NHL level, buts its the other things that Biggs brings not as easily measurable that will factor into his evaluation.

Leafs director of amateur scouting Dave Morrison in the Hockey News - Future Watch, claims the organization has limited offensive expectations of Biggs, but rather complimentary of his intangibles instead.

Scouts are comparing him to Kyle Clifford and not Milan Lucic as some suggest here, and there is a big difference between those two players NHL ceilings.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:43 AM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
I personally would've taken Jenner or Saad, I'll admit Saad wasn't on my radar but is looking great post draft, but Jenner was someone I was targeting since the Philly trade. Then again Biggs may not be the best offensively but could turn out to one of the most league wide favourited/hated player Lucic or Clark -esque.
Which is something the Leafs are desperately lacking. Ross could turn out to be a decent agitator, but from what I've seen/heard, he's not overly gritty, but more of an Armstrong/Marchand type guy.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:43 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
It's really hard to not like Jenner, the guy never stops skating. At this point we cant even compare, Jenner is a far better hockey player. Regardless if he is a bit smaller, he is all effort and determination, every shift. (I would take him in a game against the Bruins, any day) Biggs hasn't shown it all that much. Last game i went to, the coach was screaming at him 'SKATE TYLER!' when he was on the ice.

It will take a bit of time, but he still has a ton to show. I'm more then looking forward to seeing how he progresses.
Jenner could turn out to be top 6 -- I doubt he's top 3. Biggs intrigues me because he could be a Lucic light. Lucic plays on the top line and scores 30 which I don't expect, but 15-20 goals, with good strong 2 way play and a physical presence is a greater need than another Clarke McArthur. If Biggs pans out he'll make player like Kessel better. He'll take some of the load off Phaneuf. It's an important role on what is a very soft club.

Looking forward to seeing Ross, Biggs, D'Amigo, Kamorov, etc.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:46 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
That is a massive "could." He's likely a 3rd/4th line guy. Like Mess said, a Kyle Clifford type player.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
His size and physical presence the reason for the ranking more than his skills, and Leafs trade up because he is a Burke style player.

From the same link ..

So this wasn't a player that fell in the rankings, but rather one where goals and assists not the reason he was selected where he was at #22 overall. Players drafted after him will likely outscore him at the NHL level, buts its the other things that Biggs brings not as easily measurable that will factor into his evaluation.

Leafs director of amateur scouting Dave Morrison in the Hockey News - Future Watch, claims the organization has limited offensive expectations of Biggs, but rather complimentary of his intangibles instead.

Scouts are comparing him to Kyle Clifford and not Milan Lucic as some suggest here, and there is a big difference between those two players NHL ceilings.
Leafs don't have an offensive problem. It has special teams problems, size problems, physicality problems, and bottom 6 problems. Which is why they chose Biggs.

Plus, there were no immediate answers to goalies or #1 Centers at the position(during this day and age).

I can see why the pick was made. I'm still ok with that selection and the Percy selection.

Although, I would have liked to have seen Puempel picked as the last Leafs pick, but he wasn't available since the Sens picked him up.

If Biggs can crack the bottom 6, he won't be a bust. I don't think any of us seem him as a future top 6 forward. But a guy who can run around and hit, intimidate, and fight...and still kind of play is a better potential option as part-time team enforcer than Colton Orr or Rosie who have limited skill sets.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:25 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

Don't think he has the offensive potential or hockey iq to make it into a top 6 role unfortunately.

Seems like Burke was going for a likelier NHL player over potential.

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:40 PM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
That is a massive "could." He's likely a 3rd/4th line guy. Like Mess said, a Kyle Clifford type player.
i think the leafs can use a kyle clifford type right about now. if our 3rd line was kulemin-mclemment-clifford i would be pretty excited.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Sure Jenner looks better. Lots of kids looked better than Cal Clutterbuck in junior. That said, Biggs game will translate well into the bigs. He's be a good, tough 3rd liner. Jenner might not be talented enough for the top 6 or tough enough for the bottom. Fact is -- you need player like Biggs. If you've ever watched the Leafs play the Bruins you can easily see how a player like Biggs would offer more than Jenner.
Jenner's one of the better defensive forwards in the OHL, with good size and speed. He's one of the top scorers in the OHL this year. He was probably projected as a prototypical third line forward when drafted, but if he keeps up his level of scoring will now be looked upon as a potential top six forward. Throw in the fact he can play all three forward positions.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:46 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
Garrett Sparks is also the Storm's starting goaltender, though I have no idea if he's playing tonight or not. Hopefully Biggs manages to have a good night without taking away from the games of Finn and possibly Sparks.
Something like.... Bigs scores twice, yet guelph edges Oshawa 3-2 as matt finn gets the OT winner and sparks stops 40 shots? haha

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:

From the same link ..

This is where I disagreed with taking him this high at the time...players with these traits can often be found later on in the draft. In fact, you could make an arguement right now that Broll has as much chance of becoming an NHLer than Biggs.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:41 PM
The K Man

Quote:
CSS had him ranked 5th for North American skaters for their midterm rankings.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=67005

The K Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:53 PM
razorwire61

Send a message via MSN to razorwire61
was at the Petes- Gens Game Last night, Biggs Did a great job of parking himself in front of the net and was there for a couple gens goals. only one assist on the night but i'd say his work in front of the net was more valuable than an assist. he was always there to screen the Goalie and to track down those rebounds. If the petes Goalie wasnt playing so well (gens had like 53 shots in a 5-0 win) i'd say Biggs could have had a couple Just sitting there in front of the net.

razorwire61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Griffski

I don't think the Biggs pick is the issue... It's the Percy pick that is debatable. I'm a huge Percy fan though. Nothing like a high hockey IQ D man, he will be a nice change of pace compared to the dumb ***** we have back there. (Phaneuf, Komisarek, Schenn*)

Griffski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 02:22 PM
JVR2112

I would take Biggs over all those guys that were selected in the 2nd. I think that he will be more valuable down the road. I don't think Saad is as good as the hype. I would definitely change the Percy pick to Jenner. Guy is such a beast. I watch Oshawa games to see Biggs but all I see is Jenner dominating. Don't think Rattie will translate to the NHL. I think you have to take into account that Biggs is in his first year in the O and is still doing well. You can tell hes still getting used to the schedule but isn't disappointing. Last nights game, he dominated supposedly.

JVR2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 02:36 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
This is where I disagreed with taking him this high at the time...players with these traits can often be found later on in the draft. In fact, you could make an arguement right now that Broll has as much chance of becoming an NHLer than Biggs.
Most players taken in the late first round become support players or busts. At this spot your either taking the second tier top top six guy who prolly amounts to nothing or the top tier bottom six guy who should be a solid role player. I think if the draft happened this year the Leafs might gamble but a couple years ago they still needed to go for the surer thing.

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote