HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Tyler Biggs's discussion thread.

Old
11-12-2012, 08:42 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post
Steve Simmons is a joke. That is all.
Exactly...what point is he even trying to make...that the Leafs only have one "sure fire" prospect? Is that something unique in the NHL?

Not many teams have more than one, some don't even have a single one.

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
I'm liking Leivo

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Exactly...what point is he even trying to make...that the Leafs only have one "sure fire" prospect? Is that something unique in the NHL?

Not many teams have more than one, some don't even have a single one.
Hes just trying to be controversial as usual. Biggs skating isnt quite at an NHL level? If thats the case, then we should be happy then. If it were hockey IQ or his hands, then I would be more worried. Boone Jenner has greatly improved his mobility in just one year.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 09:09 AM
VanW27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
Hes just trying to be controversial as usual. Biggs skating isnt quite at an NHL level? If thats the case, then we should be happy then. If it were hockey IQ or his hands, then I would be more worried. Boone Jenner has greatly improved his mobility in just one year.
Biggs speed is quite good, its his agility and acceleration that needs work. And if you had a 19 year old with his size who didn't need to improve his agility he would have been a top 10 pick.

Last edited by VanW27: 11-12-2012 at 09:34 AM.
VanW27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Biggs Takes Giant Leap Forward Thanks To Improved Skating

Quote:
It took only three seconds into Tyler Biggs’ first on-ice session with champion figure skater and Toronto Maple Leafs skating consultant Barb Underhill this summer to pinpoint an area of weakness.

Biggs, the Leafs’ first-round draft pick in 2011, needed to tighten his core when skating if he wanted to elevate his game and skating ability to the next level.

And after a series of private and group sessions with Underhill, Biggs found the results he was looking for starting with the 2012 USA Hockey National Junior Evaluation Camp in August.

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound power forward burst onto the ice, and more importantly the score sheet, finishing second in scoring with four goals and seven points in five games for Team USA.

“I worked pretty hard this summer up in Toronto training,” said the Binghamton, N.Y. native, who signed his first pro contract during the same week. “I was in a really good place before I went into camp, and it’s nice when you get a couple of bounces and some things go your way.”

“Honestly, it’s so hard to explain just because of how great [Underhill] really is,” Biggs added. “I remember my first session, [and] the littlest thing of tightening my core made me almost a half a step faster than I was before.”

Continued : http://www.usahockeymagazine.com/art...proved-skating.

11-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Think most people who have seen a Gens game this year knows Biggs least worry is his skating, he has good speed supported by a sturdy base.

The only thing he needs to work on his his one step quickness from start, but he is more than adequate in the skating dept.

Biggs is already a better skater the Lucic to use a player he is trying to be as an example.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:17 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

Quote:
It took only three seconds into Tyler Biggs’ first on-ice session with champion figure skater and Toronto Maple Leafs skating consultant Barb Underhill this summer to pinpoint an area of weakness.

Biggs, the Leafs’ first-round draft pick in 2011, needed to tighten his core when skating if he wanted to elevate his game and skating ability to the next level.

And after a series of private and group sessions with Underhill, Biggs found the results he was looking for starting with the 2012 USA Hockey National Junior Evaluation Camp in August.

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound power forward burst onto the ice, and more importantly the score sheet, finishing second in scoring with four goals and seven points in five games for Team USA.

“I worked pretty hard this summer up in Toronto training,” said the Binghamton, N.Y. native, who signed his first pro contract during the same week. “I was in a really good place before I went into camp, and it’s nice when you get a couple of bounces and some things go your way.”

“Honestly, it’s so hard to explain just because of how great [Underhill] really is,” Biggs added. “I remember my first session, [and] the littlest thing of tightening my core made me almost a half a step faster than I was before.”

Continued : http://www.usahockeymagazine.com/art...proved-skating.
I've looked at a few reports and don't really see a lot of concern about his skating. This is just one and from 2 years ago. If you do a search you can find more maybe some might say skating is an issue but most I've seen don't.

http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot...nkings_27.html

Quote:
Saturday, November 27, 2010

Central Scouting Preliminary Rankings: The USHL Pt. 1

Red Line Report scout Max Giese has been following Biggs for several seasons now, and had this to say about the son of former Cincinnati Cylcones (IHL) standout Don Biggs:

"He's right up there (at the top of the USHL list) and could be the best choice of this bunch to be a good pro," Giese told B2011DW. "He's a fast, mean, physical in-your-face guy with some leadership qualities. ...
"We're keeping an eye on Biggs," said one NHL scout for a Western Conference team. "He's got the size, is a pretty good skater and has that natural toughness that you either have or you don't-- a coach can't instill that in a guy.

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 1963–64, 1966–67 and 1969–70 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 1970–71 and 1972–73. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 1970–71, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanW27 View Post
Biggs speed is quite good, its his agility and acceleration that needs work. And if you had a 19 year old with his size who didn't need to improve his agility he would have been a top 10 pick.
Agreed. Skating seems to be a work in progress with most players, even at the NHL level. Why else would teams hire a skating coach? One thing Burke has said pretty consistently since coming here. He wants to draft player with a strong work ethic and character as he feels they will have better chance of working to over come any weakness they have.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I've looked at a few reports and don't really see a lot of concern about his skating. This is just one and from 2 years ago. If you do a search you can find more maybe some might say skating is an issue but most I've seen don't.
Makes you wonder what scouts Simmons was talking to...cub scouts?

Old
11-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Drop The Mits
KeepCalmCorsi'sWrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Being 6'3" 235 lbs helps. He is a man child.
Him and Biggs both. I can't wait to see if both of them make the NHL. We're gonna have a beastly team.

Drop The Mits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
Him and Biggs both. I can't wait to see if both of them make the NHL. We're gonna have a beastly team.
Broll seems like he could be a Jordan Nolan/Dwight King type player.

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:14 AM
Hawaiinleaf

TSN pre-season prediction for Tyler Biggs 10 goals and a C prospect

Hawaiinleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Here are the highlights to Tyler's 2 goals last night, didn't watch the game but he is very present in the highlights. He must have read the Simmons snipe, boy he was skating well last night.

A beautiful first goal on Subban and a great redirection.

http://www.bellevillebulls.com/

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:58 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Here are the highlights to Tyler's 2 goals last night, didn't watch the game but he is very present in the highlights. He must have read the Simmons snipe, boy he was skating well last night.

On the last goal you could have driven the zamboni between his legs.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:37 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post

Some nice highlights there, can't wait to have this kid on the 3rd line with the Leafs!

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:08 PM
kilgro
Thank you Burke!

Biggs with the Gordie Howe hattrick tonight vs Ottawa. Missed a big portion of the game to due to being the instigator in his fight. Could have had more points had he not missed a solid 20 mins. Gotta love Biggs

kilgro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:16 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Not gonna lie, I wasn't expecting this kind of offensive impact from Biggs. I am the poster who thought he wouldn't amount to much aside from scoring 10-15 goals but he is showing great improvement and has looked very comfortable the last 10 games or so offensively.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Heatleys Eye

Another year in the OHL should help him develop his offensive skills even further

He could take 3 years or so before he plays an NHL game - I'm fine with that

Backes took a while to get to the NHL as well but patience with big skilled guys takes time

Heatleys Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:59 PM
NoTouchIcing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Broll?? Really!?!?

Went and seen him play in Windsor, and his mobility was still awful.
Akin to your grammar.

NoTouchIcing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:15 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Can't wait until he makes the NHL. Hopefully he gets to play in the AHL next year.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
Can't wait until he makes the NHL. Hopefully he gets to play in the AHL next year.
IMO that's where he should stick next year and I hope he takes around 1 year or maybe 2 to make his offensive skill strong in the AHL. He still has ways to go but this guy can be a solid player for us in the third line in the future. I hope he learns to use that body very effectively.

11-23-2012, 10:23 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
IMO that's where he should stick next year and I hope he takes around 1 year or maybe 2 to make his offensive skill strong in the AHL. He still has ways to go but this guy can be a solid player for us in the third line in the future. I hope he learns to use that body very effectively.
I do believe he can even be a second liner if he makes his offensive skill strong enough. He can become a great power forward. This kid is a work horse.

Old
11-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
I do believe he can even be a second liner if he makes his offensive skill strong enough. He can become a great power forward. This kid is a work horse.
I personally think he can be that step in second liner but in a good or a great team he is best suited for the third line. I really like Biggs but I am not sure about his offensive is Pro per say, that being said I hope he proves me wrong ofc for the sake of our team.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:34 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I personally think he can be that step in second liner but in a good or a great team he is best suited for the third line. I really like Biggs but I am not sure about his offensive is Pro per say, that being said I hope he proves me wrong ofc for the sake of our team.
Yeah I mean for the leafs he can pass off as a second liner. But in a good team (hopefully leafs will be good by then), he's a solid third liner. Great for defense, hitting and tertiary scoring.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Drop The Mits
KeepCalmCorsi'sWrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgro View Post
Biggs with the Gordie Howe hattrick tonight vs Ottawa. Missed a big portion of the game to due to being the instigator in his fight. Could have had more points had he not missed a solid 20 mins. Gotta love Biggs
Not to mention the fight was because someone hit his teammate from behind. No hesitation Biggs was in there throwing bombs

Drop The Mits is offline   Reply With Quote