HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyler Biggs's discussion thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-25-2012, 09:12 AM
  #201
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,229
vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Not the most exciting goals, but all we really need is for him to be able to for check hard and clean up the garbage and it looks like he can do that.
I think as long as he's taking those big strides to the net and setting up in front, once he has that game down, he'll be super effective. Not very many people will be able to move his big body.

__________________
http://i57.tinypic.com/28b4abo.jpg
DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:19 AM
  #202
iPunch
Leafs Fan
 
iPunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,281
vCash: 133
He wasn't drafted to score pretty goals, he was drafted to be the garbage man for our skill forwards. Looks like he's coming along real nicely.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:42 AM
  #203
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,942
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
He wasn't drafted to score pretty goals, he was drafted to be the garbage man for our skill forwards. Looks like he's coming along real nicely.
Yep. Bigg's could turn out to be everything that Burke described in those big words he said at the PC when he became GM if he develops correctly.

Guys like Steve Ott fetched quite a bit in a trade so even if Biggs doesn't become a top 6 player, he can still be a player that is very valuable to a team.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:36 AM
  #204
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,443
vCash: 350
Would be awesome if he could turn into a Holmstrom.

Eyedea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:36 AM
  #205
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Yep. Bigg's could turn out to be everything that Burke described in those big words he said at the PC when he became GM if he develops correctly.

Guys like Steve Ott fetched quite a bit in a trade so even if Biggs doesn't become a top 6 player, he can still be a player that is very valuable to a team.
If Biggs had a year of OHL already under his belt, he would be further along in his progression IMO. Miami is done, luckily he realized early enough this was the league for him to develop in.

Highlight reel goals, garbage goals, they all count. Cicerelli made a living of ugly goals, Holmstrom also. Tyler is progressing just fine. Looks like he is well on his way of proving his believers they were correct.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:37 AM
  #206
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Would be awesome if he could turn into a Holmstrom.
Just mentioned him, except a Holmstrom that can break your face.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:42 AM
  #207
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,443
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Just mentioned him, except a Holmstrom that can break your face.
Great minds think alike haha. Yeah definitely a grittier guy in terms of fighting, I like his passion for the game. So far he's been consistent at getting to the net and also making big, timely hits.

Eyedea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:34 AM
  #208
Rinzler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Yep. Bigg's could turn out to be everything that Burke described in those big words he said at the PC when he became GM if he develops correctly.

Guys like Steve Ott fetched quite a bit in a trade so even if Biggs doesn't become a top 6 player, he can still be a player that is very valuable to a team.
Man I hope so. If Biggs can compete in the top 6, he'll cause all kinds of problems for the skill players on opposing teams. Maybe we'll finally stop being a perimeter team and out muscle smaller teams.

So hard to wait for these guys to develop sometimes.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:08 PM
  #209
TieClark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,032
vCash: 500
If he's going to be a top 6 player he needs to put up point all season consistently. His size is his main tool and right now he's playing against a lot of kids. The size won't be so different to NHL player though

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:28 PM
  #210
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey
 
Diamond Joe Quimby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
If he's going to be a top 6 player he needs to put up point all season consistently. His size is his main tool and right now he's playing against a lot of kids. The size won't be so different to NHL player though
6"3 225, is pretty big by NHL standards as well. I get the argument, but just to put things into perspective, he's the same size as Colton Orr. The difference being, he can skate as well. He's already a monster.

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:38 PM
  #211
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!
 
FishManSam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: I Bet You Hate T.O
Country: Croatia
Posts: 4,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Would be awesome if he could turn into a Holmstrom.
Holmstrom could literally do nothing but stand in front of the net, he can't skate, he's a baby and he's dumb as bricks.

I hope Biggs produces like Holmstrom, but I hope he plays nothing like him.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:45 PM
  #212
MapleLeafs9
HFBoards Sponsor
 
MapleLeafs9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
Holmstrom could literally do nothing but stand in front of the net, he can't skate, he's a baby and he's dumb as bricks.

I hope Biggs produces like Holmstrom, but I hope he plays nothing like him.
This. Keep in mind Holmstrom only scored 200 goals in about 1000 games. I would hope Biggs can do better than that.

MapleLeafs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:16 PM
  #213
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,443
vCash: 350
Mind you Holmstrom played 3rd line minutes for the majority of his career. I'm just hoping Biggs can have a presence in front of the net like Holmstrom. Never for a second said I wanted him to have stone hands and feet.

Eyedea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:12 PM
  #214
Sonny21
Registerd User
 
Sonny21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,624
vCash: 50
If you want to compare him to someone or like him to reach the potential of an NHLer, it would be David Backes for me.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:33 PM
  #215
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy
 
Borjes Baumingdyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: in turmoil..
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Just mentioned him, except a Holmstrom that can break your face.
Yah, this guy.


Last edited by Borjes Baumingdyk: 12-02-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:08 PM
  #216
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
If you want to compare him to someone or like him to reach the potential of an NHLer, it would be David Backes for me.
I would really love that but IMO backes has a lot more offense in him that Biggs ever has IMO.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:12 PM
  #217
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke
 
Bernier the Boats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
If you want to compare him to someone or like him to reach the potential of an NHLer, it would be David Backes for me.
Seems ambitious.

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:14 PM
  #218
Sonny21
Registerd User
 
Sonny21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,624
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I would really love that but IMO backes has a lot more offense in him that Biggs ever has IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Seems ambitious.
It may not be realistic right ow but I also feel it's far too soon to cap Biggs potential as well. I was just listing the dream potential if I had to pick one player I would love for Biggs to turn out.

Also looking at Backes stats, other then one season of 60+ points, his a 50 point player who's the full package. So it's not exactly hoping Biggs turn out to be 80+ point producer that is so unrealistic. If Biggs turns out to be 15+20 then he has the physical tools to match the physical side.


Last edited by Sonny21: 10-25-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:20 PM
  #219
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
It may not be realistic right ow but I also feel it's far too soon to cap Biggs potential as well. I was just listing the dream potential if I had to pick one player I would love for Biggs to turn out.

Also looking at Backes stats, other then one season of 60+ points, his a 50 point player who's the full package. So it's not exactly hoping Biggs turn out to be 80+ point producer that is so unrealistic. If Biggs turns out to be 15+20 then he has the physical tools to match the physical side.
Idealistically I am hoping for a Dustin Brown myself but in reality I think he will be a second - third offensive big body guy around the 15 goal mark.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:27 PM
  #220
Sonny21
Registerd User
 
Sonny21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,624
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Idealistically I am hoping for a Dustin Brown myself but in reality I think he will be a second - third offensive big body guy around the 15 goal mark.
Well whatever the case, he has long ways to go in his development. I am just saying I see people selling him short a bit. Only time well tell and how hard Biggs works on his game.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:31 PM
  #221
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
Well whatever the case, he has long ways to go in his development. I am just saying I see people selling him short a bit. Only time well tell and how hard Biggs works on his game.
Posters in general don't realize each prospect needs different time for development so it shouldn't be a surprise tbh. I am certainly not as high as some others but I know where he might be realistically. I know he isn't going to be that first line center, just don't see that offensive output.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:47 PM
  #222
Sonny21
Registerd User
 
Sonny21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,624
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Posters in general don't realize each prospect needs different time for development so it shouldn't be a surprise tbh. I am certainly not as high as some others but I know where he might be realistically. I know he isn't going to be that first line center, just don't see that offensive output.
The good thing is; at the end of the day it's up to the players for the most part in how far they will go. As fans we could be pumped for some prospects thinking they will flourish but don't and others who were dismissed but surprised.

That's part of the fun and why so many keep tabs on prospects in general.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:10 PM
  #223
Sergei Berezin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 6,044
vCash: 500
Dustin Brown is what I see in Biggs.

I used to think it was Backes, but I think Biggs is a little less skilled and more grit than Backes. Brown is much more similar of a player.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:14 PM
  #224
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
The good thing is; at the end of the day it's up to the players for the most part in how far they will go. As fans we could be pumped for some prospects thinking they will flourish but don't and others who were dismissed but surprised.

That's part of the fun and why so many keep tabs on prospects in general.
Yeap. As a fan or a poster here all I can do is back up the poster as much as I can!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
Dustin Brown is what I see in Biggs.

I used to think it was Backes, but I think Biggs is a little less skilled and more grit than Backes. Brown is much more similar of a player.
I hope for this too but Brown was a strong sniper in the OHL, so again tempering is necessary. We can HOPE for a 80-90 point season but realistically we are going to see a 60 point season from him in the OHL really IMO.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:17 PM
  #225
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
If Biggs had a year of OHL already under his belt, he would be further along in his progression IMO. Miami is done, luckily he realized early enough this was the league for him to develop in.

Highlight reel goals, garbage goals, they all count. Cicerelli made a living of ugly goals, Holmstrom also. Tyler is progressing just fine. Looks like he is well on his way of proving his believers they were correct.
This is the guy I want him to emulate. He'll never put up his totals, I merely mean the type of net presence game Dino brought (with more brute physicality).

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.