HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyler Biggs's discussion thread.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:12 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Not the most exciting goals, but all we really need is for him to be able to for check hard and clean up the garbage and it looks like he can do that.
I think as long as he's taking those big strides to the net and setting up in front, once he has that game down, he'll be super effective. Not very many people will be able to move his big body.

10-25-2012, 09:19 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
He wasn't drafted to score pretty goals, he was drafted to be the garbage man for our skill forwards. Looks like he's coming along real nicely.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:42 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
He wasn't drafted to score pretty goals, he was drafted to be the garbage man for our skill forwards. Looks like he's coming along real nicely.
Yep. Bigg's could turn out to be everything that Burke described in those big words he said at the PC when he became GM if he develops correctly.

Guys like Steve Ott fetched quite a bit in a trade so even if Biggs doesn't become a top 6 player, he can still be a player that is very valuable to a team.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Would be awesome if he could turn into a Holmstrom.

Eyedea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Yep. Bigg's could turn out to be everything that Burke described in those big words he said at the PC when he became GM if he develops correctly.

Guys like Steve Ott fetched quite a bit in a trade so even if Biggs doesn't become a top 6 player, he can still be a player that is very valuable to a team.
If Biggs had a year of OHL already under his belt, he would be further along in his progression IMO. Miami is done, luckily he realized early enough this was the league for him to develop in.

Highlight reel goals, garbage goals, they all count. Cicerelli made a living of ugly goals, Holmstrom also. Tyler is progressing just fine. Looks like he is well on his way of proving his believers they were correct.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Just mentioned him, except a Holmstrom that can break your face.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Great minds think alike haha. Yeah definitely a grittier guy in terms of fighting, I like his passion for the game. So far he's been consistent at getting to the net and also making big, timely hits.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

Man I hope so. If Biggs can compete in the top 6, he'll cause all kinds of problems for the skill players on opposing teams. Maybe we'll finally stop being a perimeter team and out muscle smaller teams.

So hard to wait for these guys to develop sometimes.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:08 PM
TieClark

If he's going to be a top 6 player he needs to put up point all season consistently. His size is his main tool and right now he's playing against a lot of kids. The size won't be so different to NHL player though

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
If he's going to be a top 6 player he needs to put up point all season consistently. His size is his main tool and right now he's playing against a lot of kids. The size won't be so different to NHL player though
6"3 225, is pretty big by NHL standards as well. I get the argument, but just to put things into perspective, he's the same size as Colton Orr. The difference being, he can skate as well. He's already a monster.

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:38 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Holmstrom could literally do nothing but stand in front of the net, he can't skate, he's a baby and he's dumb as bricks.

I hope Biggs produces like Holmstrom, but I hope he plays nothing like him.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:45 PM
MapleLeafs9
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
Holmstrom could literally do nothing but stand in front of the net, he can't skate, he's a baby and he's dumb as bricks.

I hope Biggs produces like Holmstrom, but I hope he plays nothing like him.
This. Keep in mind Holmstrom only scored 200 goals in about 1000 games. I would hope Biggs can do better than that.

MapleLeafs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Mind you Holmstrom played 3rd line minutes for the majority of his career. I'm just hoping Biggs can have a presence in front of the net like Holmstrom. Never for a second said I wanted him to have stone hands and feet.

Old
10-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 50
If you want to compare him to someone or like him to reach the potential of an NHLer, it would be David Backes for me.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

Quote:
Yah, this guy.

Last edited by Borjes Baumingdyk: 12-02-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
If you want to compare him to someone or like him to reach the potential of an NHLer, it would be David Backes for me.
I would really love that but IMO backes has a lot more offense in him that Biggs ever has IMO.

10-25-2012, 06:12 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Seems ambitious.

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I would really love that but IMO backes has a lot more offense in him that Biggs ever has IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Seems ambitious.
It may not be realistic right ow but I also feel it's far too soon to cap Biggs potential as well. I was just listing the dream potential if I had to pick one player I would love for Biggs to turn out.

Also looking at Backes stats, other then one season of 60+ points, his a 50 point player who's the full package. So it's not exactly hoping Biggs turn out to be 80+ point producer that is so unrealistic. If Biggs turns out to be 15+20 then he has the physical tools to match the physical side.

Last edited by Sonny21: 10-25-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old
10-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
It may not be realistic right ow but I also feel it's far too soon to cap Biggs potential as well. I was just listing the dream potential if I had to pick one player I would love for Biggs to turn out.

Also looking at Backes stats, other then one season of 60+ points, his a 50 point player who's the full package. So it's not exactly hoping Biggs turn out to be 80+ point producer that is so unrealistic. If Biggs turns out to be 15+20 then he has the physical tools to match the physical side.
Idealistically I am hoping for a Dustin Brown myself but in reality I think he will be a second - third offensive big body guy around the 15 goal mark.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:
Idealistically I am hoping for a Dustin Brown myself but in reality I think he will be a second - third offensive big body guy around the 15 goal mark.
Well whatever the case, he has long ways to go in his development. I am just saying I see people selling him short a bit. Only time well tell and how hard Biggs works on his game.

Old
10-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Well whatever the case, he has long ways to go in his development. I am just saying I see people selling him short a bit. Only time well tell and how hard Biggs works on his game.
Posters in general don't realize each prospect needs different time for development so it shouldn't be a surprise tbh. I am certainly not as high as some others but I know where he might be realistically. I know he isn't going to be that first line center, just don't see that offensive output.

Old
10-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:
Posters in general don't realize each prospect needs different time for development so it shouldn't be a surprise tbh. I am certainly not as high as some others but I know where he might be realistically. I know he isn't going to be that first line center, just don't see that offensive output.
The good thing is; at the end of the day it's up to the players for the most part in how far they will go. As fans we could be pumped for some prospects thinking they will flourish but don't and others who were dismissed but surprised.

That's part of the fun and why so many keep tabs on prospects in general.

Old
10-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Sergei Berezin

Dustin Brown is what I see in Biggs.

I used to think it was Backes, but I think Biggs is a little less skilled and more grit than Backes. Brown is much more similar of a player.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
The good thing is; at the end of the day it's up to the players for the most part in how far they will go. As fans we could be pumped for some prospects thinking they will flourish but don't and others who were dismissed but surprised.

That's part of the fun and why so many keep tabs on prospects in general.
Yeap. As a fan or a poster here all I can do is back up the poster as much as I can!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
Dustin Brown is what I see in Biggs.

I used to think it was Backes, but I think Biggs is a little less skilled and more grit than Backes. Brown is much more similar of a player.
I hope for this too but Brown was a strong sniper in the OHL, so again tempering is necessary. We can HOPE for a 80-90 point season but realistically we are going to see a 60 point season from him in the OHL really IMO.

Old
10-25-2012, 07:17 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
If Biggs had a year of OHL already under his belt, he would be further along in his progression IMO. Miami is done, luckily he realized early enough this was the league for him to develop in.

Highlight reel goals, garbage goals, they all count. Cicerelli made a living of ugly goals, Holmstrom also. Tyler is progressing just fine. Looks like he is well on his way of proving his believers they were correct.
This is the guy I want him to emulate. He'll never put up his totals, I merely mean the type of net presence game Dino brought (with more brute physicality).

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote