HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Which Current Leafs NEED This Season To Happen

Old
10-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Phelan

vCash: 500
Which Current Leafs NEED This Season To Happen

I was wondering which current Leafs' best interest is for this season to happen and I came up with this.

Connolly: Didn't have a great season, and will be UFA after this year. He needs to have a good year to increase his value going into it.

Lupul: If he puts up a similar year will get a guaranteed raise. Could still get the money, but who knows...

Lombardi: Needs to show that he has value, or he might be done in the NHL.

MacArthur: Needs to show that he still has it. Like Lupul it's not as important as the others.

Bozak: Going into UFA, needs to show that he is more than a number 1 centre by default.

Steckel: Needs to show that we need him, or he could be replaced by a rookie/UFA in a year.

Our Goalies: With no true starter could prove themselves capable of taking the spot.

All these players in my opinion need for this season to happen (some more than others) and it is not in their best interest to lose a year. So, whatca think? Any I miss?

Phelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Every pending UFA.

Kessel (the sooner the better) so he can have yet another consecutive 30 goal season.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Phelan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Every pending UFA.

Kessel (the sooner the better) so he can have yet another consecutive 30 goal seaosn.
Yeah, but some players will land on their feet better than others. There's some players that could be bumped right out of the NHL in a year, and have a chance to change that by playing this year. At the very least, get a NHL paycheck before waving goodbye.

Old
10-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Rinzler

The NHL is getting younger and younger. The cap is going go down when play resumes and probably wont' go up the following year or two afterwards either, so anyone who's pushing 30 and facing UFA should be feeling a wee bit nervous.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 04:51 PM
TheCLAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelan View Post
I was wondering which current Leafs' best interest is for this season to happen and I came up with this.

Connolly: Didn't have a great season, and will be UFA after this year. He needs to have a good year to increase his value going into it.

Lupul: If he puts up a similar year will get a guaranteed raise. Could still get the money, but who knows...

Lombardi: Needs to show that he has value, or he might be done in the NHL.

MacArthur: Needs to show that he still has it. Like Lupul it's not as important as the others.

Bozak: Going into UFA, needs to show that he is more than a number 1 centre by default.

Steckel: Needs to show that we need him, or he could be replaced by a rookie/UFA in a year.

Our Goalies: With no true starter could prove themselves capable of taking the spot.

All these players in my opinion need for this season to happen (some more than others) and it is not in their best interest to lose a year. So, whatca think? Any I miss?
The following will probably have the highest chance of staying on the roster.

TheCLAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Phelan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
The NHL is getting younger and younger. The cap is going go down when play resumes and probably wont' go up the following year or two afterwards either, so anyone who's pushing 30 and facing UFA should be feeling a wee bit nervous.
There's also rookies who have a limtied amount of time to prove themselves, because of blue chip prospects that would take their spots a year from now.

Old
10-11-2012, 04:57 PM
TheCLAM

Quote:
There's also rookies who have a limtied amount of time to prove themselves, because of blue chip prospects that would take their spots a year from now.
You never bank on an unproven prospect to take over a major role in PRO sports, unless they are a generational talent. It's terrible asset management to do otherwise.

TheCLAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Yeah, but some players will land on their feet better than others. There's some players that could be bumped right out of the NHL in a year, and have a chance to change that by playing this year. At the very least, get a NHL paycheck before waving goodbye.
Fair enough, that first post was literally my first reaction to the topic.

From the pending UFAs: Connolly, MacArthur, Lupul and Bozak will find work no matter what team it's on. Obviously they'd like to play to raise their value but that's common among all FAs.

Guys like Lombardi, Steckel, and Orr need this season to kick start soon. If not, they could be looking at less than a 1M salary or worse, AHL depth.

Everyone else: Like I said before, Kessel doesn't really "need" the season to start, but if we are going to play hockey, it better start soon so he can chase another 30 goal season.

This will be an interesting season for Gunnarson. He needs to find his niche and continue to be that dependable, versatile defenseman we need in the top 4. I don't really care about his offensive play, we seem to have enough suitors who can play that role. He needs to be a rock week to week or he could be lose alot more than cash. (pending RFA)

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 05:32 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

I say the one who needs this season to happen is Lupul. Major reason is proving that his stats in 2011-2012 was not a fluke and he can have another great year playing with Kessel. Plus until his wrist injury it was his first time playing healthy since his back surgey and infection he had when he was playing Anaheim. So if the 2012-2013 season is cancelled and the NHL doesn't extend players contracts by 1 year it will mean Lupul will be a UFA and is Burke willing to pay him based on what he has already seen?

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 05:37 PM
bunjay

Kulemin, because last season left a sour taste in his (and the fans') mouth.

JVR, because he gets to either prove himself or pretty much fade into mediocrity.

Gardiner, because the Leafs need him to get more NHL experience. The guy was improving so rapidly.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 05:48 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Lupul.

if he walks after this lockout i am 100% correct on labeling him a stop-gap.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 06:51 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
Lupul.

Will you celebrate?

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
Lupul.

Point per game stop gap.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Brody

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Point per game stop gap.
Over a point per game stop gap.

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Kessel
Kulemin
Kadri
Frattin
Reimer/Scrivens

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Fair enough, that first post was literally my first reaction to the topic.

From the pending UFAs: Connolly, MacArthur, Lupul and Bozak will find work no matter what team it's on. Obviously they'd like to play to raise their value but that's common among all FAs.

Guys like Lombardi, Steckel, and Orr need this season to kick start soon. If not, they could be looking at less than a 1M salary or worse, AHL depth.

Everyone else: Like I said before, Kessel doesn't really "need" the season to start, but if we are going to play hockey, it better start soon so he can chase another 30 goal season.

This will be an interesting season for Gunnarson. He needs to find his niche and continue to be that dependable, versatile defenseman we need in the top 4. I don't really care about his offensive play, we seem to have enough suitors who can play that role. He needs to be a rock week to week or he could be lose alot more than cash. (pending RFA)
Don't think it will be that easy for either of them as you think. Bozak has already pretty much reached his ceiling as a mediocre C who can't even reach 50 points while playing with 2 PPG guys and Connolly is a lazy vet.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 08:28 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Like Connelly, Lupul is only a 2 year stop-gap. Not in the long term plans of General Manager Bri Burke.

Mmmaybe

Old
10-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Kibago

I think Connolly's the best example. i don't think he's ever going to get the money he's due this year again, but there's a big difference between being able to get $2.5per next time around and signing a minimum contract to prove himself. he's one of the few players who'd definitely be better off by signing right away with the crappy offer the owners have now.

Kibago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 08:57 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

From a financial standpoint it's easily Colton Orr. This is the last year he'll be collecting an nhl paycheck and you can bet leaving a cool mill on the table is not his first choice

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Phelan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygeek View Post
From a financial standpoint it's easily Colton Orr. This is the last year he'll be collecting an nhl paycheck and you can bet leaving a cool mill on the table is not his first choice
Is he still with the Marlies? If he is, I think his contract will still pay him 1 million. He'd be playing in a competitive league and still earning the same he would in the NHL.

Old
10-12-2012, 08:26 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Point per game stop gap.
What in the hell is a PPG stop gap? That's an oxymoron if there ever was one

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Predaleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
What in the hell is a PPG stop gap? That's an oxymoron if there ever was one
I think he was being sarcastic and making a remark to the guy who said Lupul is a stop-gap

Predaleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 50
Quote:
Is he still with the Marlies? If he is, I think his contract will still pay him 1 million. He'd be playing in a competitive league and still earning the same he would in the NHL.
As fare as I know he's not. He would have to have went through waivers with Ryan Hamilton and Keith Aucoin to be assigned again. Never was (that I know of)

Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 09:30 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predaleafs View Post
I think he was being sarcastic and making a remark to the guy who said Lupul is a stop-gap
He was... my bad

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 09:32 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

point per game stop gap: Connolly???