HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is there a better all time team?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-29-2012, 12:51 PM
  #1
sabrescupbound
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 837
vCash: 500
Is there a better all time team?

Then the Sabres? When I think of all the greats once on this team I can't see them not as good or better then any other all time team. Perrault, Martin, Robert, Foligno, Gare, LaFontaine, Mogilny, Andrechuck, Housley, Horton, to get started, Then Hasek in his prime in net. How could we lose?

sabrescupbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 01:04 PM
  #2
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,206
vCash: 500
I believe the Montreal Canadiens would like to have a word with you.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 04:01 PM
  #3
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
I believe the Montreal Canadiens would like to have a word with you.
Detroit could probably field a pretty impressive crew too.
The Sabres all-time defense would definitely not even be close to either of those teams.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 04:24 PM
  #4
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 39,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Detroit could probably field a pretty impressive crew too.
The Sabres all-time defense would definitely not even be close to either of those teams.
Yeah, but we have Hasek!!

Sabres could field a pretty good offense, a nasty checking line (XXX-Peca-Grier), and goaltending up the wazoo. But we don't have guys like Harvey and Robinson, or Lidstrom and Kelly, or Orr, Shore, and Bourque.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 04:45 PM
  #5
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Yeah, but we have Hasek!!

Sabres could field a pretty good offense, a nasty checking line (XXX-Peca-Grier), and goaltending up the wazoo. But we don't have guys like Harvey and Robinson, or Lidstrom and Kelly, or Orr, Shore, and Bourque.
Yeah..I don't think Buffalo's ever had a single HoF defensemen, let alone a whole team of them (I'm looking at you, Montreal). But prime Hasek at least makes us competitive, probably. Although MTL would have Roy behind guys like Robinson, Chelios, Carbanneau (sp?), Gainey...

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 04:48 PM
  #6
SabresFanNorthPortFL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Port, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,821
vCash: 500
Umm...I think Edmonton would field a monster in their prime team too.

But, with double the amount of Cups to their nearest competition, Montreal wins.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 05:18 PM
  #7
FoSotC
Registered User
 
FoSotC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 671
vCash: 500
I totally understand being proud of your team's history, but among the rest of the teams in the NHL, the Sabres' all-time roster is relatively mediocre.

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 05:22 PM
  #8
DJN21
Registered User
 
DJN21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rochester
Posts: 1,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoSotC View Post
I totally understand being proud of your team's history, but among the rest of the teams in the NHL, the Sabres' all-time roster is relatively mediocre.
agreed

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 05:27 PM
  #9
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel
 
haseoke39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,506
vCash: 500
Edmonton. Montreal. Detroit. Pittsburgh. Boston.

The only place Buffalo competes with the all-time great rosters in in goal, and that's because of one man. Sabres don't have a player in the top 25 scorers all-time and don't have much on defense, either.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 05:38 PM
  #10
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 39,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Edmonton. Montreal. Detroit. Pittsburgh. Boston.

The only place Buffalo competes with the all-time great rosters in in goal, and that's because of one man. Sabres don't have a player in the top 25 scorers all-time and don't have much on defense, either.
Yep.

But the Sabres would be one of the more exciting teams IMO between the Human Slinky, the French Connection, and LaFontaine/Mogilny. Add in Housley on defense.

It would be fun to watch, even if other teams can ice better top-to-bottom rosters.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:52 PM
  #11
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"
 
TakeThatTootoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Yeah..I don't think Buffalo's ever had a single HoF defensemen, let alone a whole team of them (I'm looking at you, Montreal). But prime Hasek at least makes us competitive, probably. Although MTL would have Roy behind guys like Robinson, Chelios, Carbanneau (sp?), Gainey...
Montreal goaltending:

Gump Worsely
Patrick Roy
Georges Vezina
George Hainsworth
Bill Durnan
Ken Dryden
Jacques Plante

Buffalo goaltending:
Dominik Hasek
Ryan Miller
Roger Crozier
Tom Barrasso
Don Edwards

Honorable mention:
Bob Sauve
Daren Puppa

Yeah. No contest.


We maybe could put up a fight against Detroit...
Normie Smith
Chris Osgood
Roger Crozier (I'd take him as a Red Wing over a Sabre)
Harry Lumley
Terry Sawchuk


Last edited by TakeThatTootoo: 10-03-2012 at 01:02 PM.
TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:54 PM
  #12
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 39,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Montreal goaltending:

Gump Worsely
Patrick Roy
Georges Vezina
George Hainsworth
Bill Durnan
Ken Dryden
Jacques Plante

Buffalo goaltending:
Dominik Hasek
Ryan Miller
Roger Crozier
Tom Barrasso
Don Edwards

Honorable mention:
Bob Sauve
Daren Puppa

Yeah. No contest.
Difference being only 1 goaltender would actually be playing. I'd take my chances with Hasek, even if his backups don't measure up to Montreal.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 01:09 PM
  #13
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 13,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Difference being only 1 goaltender would actually be playing. I'd take my chances with Hasek, even if his backups don't measure up to Montreal.
Yeah, but you know the eventual groin injury would pop up.

Anyway, Buffalo's all-time team doesn't come close to some of the others.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 04:18 PM
  #14
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Detroit could probably field a pretty impressive crew too.
The Sabres all-time defense would definitely not even be close to either of those teams.
I'd love to see Warrener and Mckee back together again.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 04:27 PM
  #15
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 39,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
I'd love to see Warrener and Mckee back together again.
Would both make it? Assuming it is based on their time here (so no Phoenix Numminen)

Ramsay-Zhitnik
Housley-Schoenfeld
Hajt-McKee
Ruff

Korab, Warrener, Tallinder, Smehlik, etc miss the cut, but certainly there is room for disagreement there. Either way...it's not pretty when you consider the Bruins have

Orr-Shore
Bourque-Park
Chara-Clapper

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 04:30 PM
  #16
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Would both make it? Assuming it is based on their time here (so no Phoenix Numminen)

Ramsay-Zhitnik
Housley-Schoenfeld
Hajt-McKee
Ruff

Korab, Warrener, Tallinder, Smehlik, etc miss the cut, but certainly there is room for disagreement there. Either way...it's not pretty when you consider the Bruins have

Orr-Shore
Bourque-Park
Chara-Clapper
It wasn't directly related to the topic. I just liked watching that duo shut down everybody.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 06:31 PM
  #17
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,956
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
The Sabres have won nearly 1/4th of the Vezina trophies since coming into existence as a franchise. In the modern era, we easily have the top goaltending.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 07:37 PM
  #18
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 13,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
The Sabres have won nearly 1/4th of the Vezina trophies since coming into existence as a franchise. In the modern era, we easily have the top goaltending.
Montreal has just as many in that timeframe, plus a hell of a lot more from before the Sabres entered the league.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:30 AM
  #19
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,956
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Montreal has just as many in that timeframe, plus a hell of a lot more from before the Sabres entered the league.
Since the modern version of the Vezina has been handed out, Buffalo has won 8, Montreal has won 4.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:30 AM
  #20
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles
 
brian_griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Z4QQQ batman symbol
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 6,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Edmonton. Montreal. Detroit. Pittsburgh. Boston.

The only place Buffalo competes with the all-time great rosters in in goal, and that's because of one man. Sabres don't have a player in the top 25 scorers all-time and don't have much on defense, either.
IMO, Buffalo hasn't had anywhere near the all-stars on defense that Montreal, Detroit, Boston, (and Toronto, for that matter) have.

Neither, honestly, have Edmonton and Pittsburgh.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:34 AM
  #21
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,956
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
I hate talking about these things because giving the original 6 too much credit seems wrong. It's a lot easier to look great when you only compete against 5 other teams. It skews the whole thing big time.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 11:00 AM
  #22
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Edmonton. Montreal. Detroit. Pittsburgh. Boston.

The only place Buffalo competes with the all-time great rosters in in goal, and that's because of one man. Sabres don't have a player in the top 25 scorers all-time and don't have much on defense, either.
Way to snipe that cutoff at 25... :p

Points
28 Dave Andreychuk
31 Pierre Turgeon
32 Gilbert Perreault

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 11:18 AM
  #23
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Way to snipe that cutoff at 25... :p

Points
28 Dave Andreychuk
31 Pierre Turgeon
32 Gilbert Perreault


Good point. But still, no comparison.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 11:20 AM
  #24
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post


Good point. But still, no comparison.
Oh, I totally agree with that. Just got a chuckle out of the ranking, that's all.

(I honestly had thought GP was higher than DA too. So I got my useless trivia in for the day.)

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 11:49 AM
  #25
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
McTankel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,352
vCash: 500
The majority of teams have a better all time team then us... I say we are around the average all time team in the 13-16 range.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.