HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Matt Gilroy signs AHL contract w/Whale then Rangers?

Old
10-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

vCash: 500
Gilroy sucks.

I don't like Bickel at all but this is no replacement. Horrible if he touches NHL ice for the Rangers again. Soft ***** ass d-man that's supposedly offensive yet blows ass on that end as well.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Not to de-rail the thread, but, what is the deal with Del Zotto? Why hasn't he signed and are we actually at risk of losing him?
He's unsigned because he was asking for more than the Rangers were willing to give, and there was no urgency with a lockout looming. No risk of losing him.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 06:12 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Gilroy is terrible. Bickel sucks too so saying Gilroy is better than him isn't saying much. At least Bickel brings the physical element to the table. Towards the end of his Ranger tenure, I couldn't find one good aspect of his game. He didn't bring anything offensively, his shot was terrible, he was an okay passer, he was not good defensively, he was soft and got beat easily along the boards, etc. I'm still trying to figure out how he got playing time over Eminger at the end of 10-11 when clearly Eminger was the better defenseman.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Wow. Didn't see that one coming.
Wow, me either. I don't think anyone did.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I would take Bickel over Gilroy any day.
and I would take Eminger over both in a heartbeat.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:39 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I'm in the minority, but i like Gilroy. I like the way he skates. I'd absolutely take him for defense depth on the NHL roster when the lockout ends.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
never thought i'd have to worry about Matt Gilroy again

this is terrible

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Not to call out specific people, but on the main board, there is a thread about players you were glad your team got rid of.
On September 30th 2012, 8:29pm, this was posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Matt Gilroy and Dmitri Kalinin
Who is Zenith? He of course is mod, avid Rangers fan, and former guy with over 50ppd (or somewhere along there)
One of our very own is to blame for this... Damn you BB!!!!!!!!

Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Gilroy is terrible. Bickel sucks too so saying Gilroy is better than him isn't saying much. At least Bickel brings the physical element to the table. Towards the end of his Ranger tenure, I couldn't find one good aspect of his game. He didn't bring anything offensively, his shot was terrible, he was an okay passer, he was not good defensively, he was soft and got beat easily along the boards, etc. I'm still trying to figure out how he got playing time over Eminger at the end of 10-11 when clearly Eminger was the better defenseman.
Bickel brings physical element? He can't break up plays, he's slow as a sloth, he always gets beat to loose pucks, just because he can throw some hawmakers, it doesn't equate him to being a passable NHL player. He is brutal.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:32 PM
Mikos87

Gilroy gets a lot of flack for being soft defensively, which I agree is valid, but signing him for Hartford and the possibly a depth role is nothing but a solid move.

Having Gilroy in HFD gives all parties involved a chance to do what should have been done three years ago, back then the Rangers D wasn't what it is today, and Gilroy seemed to have shown the hockey world his potential. It would not surprise me to see Gilroy as 4A superstar.

There is nothing wrong with having a guy like that, who the organization is familiar with and likes (as a professional), and someone who gets along with the guys in the locker room back on the team.

Kenny Gernander and the boys in HFD have churned out quite a few quality defenders, Gilroy now has a chance to put his skills to use at a slower speed game. I expect him to have the sort of impact that an Andrew Hutchinson once did for HFD, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:37 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Bickel brings physical element? He can't break up plays, he's slow as a sloth, he always gets beat to loose pucks, just because he can throw some hawmakers, it doesn't equate him to being a passable NHL player. He is brutal.
Did I ever say he was a passable NHL player? I think both of them are terrible but at least there's something that Bickel does well. I can't find any redeeming quality about Gilroy's game. He's just there.

10-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Did I ever say he was a passable NHL player? I think both of them are terrible but at least there's something that Bickel does well. I can't find any redeeming quality about Gilroy's game. He's just there.
20 points isn't horrible but inevitably many of those were just dishing the puck to Stammer or MSL.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:49 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
20 points isn't horrible but inevitably many of those were just dishing the puck to Stammer or MSL.
He put up 2 less in his first year here than he did in Tampa and I don't ever recall him being a threat or involved offensively. Very quiet 15 points.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:50 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
He put up 2 less in his first year here than he did in Tampa and I don't ever recall him being a threat or involved offensively. Very quiet 15 points.
We did give him a lot of free 2nd unit PP time, and though he wasn't great n the PP they tend to accumulate if you spend enough time on it.

Old
10-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
I think his skating alone makes him more valuable than Bickel.

He doesn't have the pure offensive talent, but his breakout pass is pretty decent as well, this helps our transition game. If you have Bickel, you can never get a clean breakout when he is on the ice.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Bickel actually might be faster in a straight line that Gilroy, but it is their pivotal mobility and skating with the puck that is such a big divide.

Old
10-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Is he not better than Stu Bickel? I'd rather have Gilroy in the lineup to be honest... at least he can skate better than Stu. Obviously Ottawa played him so he must have SOME NHL talent. It's kind of odd that the Rangers would even consider bringing him back, though.
Why are you surprised? The Rangers offered him a contract when he became a free agent--it wasn't a one-way contract (paying the same amount wherever he played), so he signed with Tampa Bay instead (they gave him the one-way he wanted). Both Sather and Torts (who actively recuited him out of college) like him.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:08 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
I think the bigger question is is he better than Eminger. Right now provided we sign Del Zotto and Sauer doesn't make a miracle comeback we have

Mcd-Girardi
Staal-Del Zotto
Eminger-Stralman

assuming he plays Del Zotto and Eminger on their off sides, though the two could be interchanged. Is Gilroy better than Eminger? We know he is better than Bickel but Stu should make the roster as pro depth for #8 dman and the wing.
Gilroy played over Eminger during the playoff push and during the playoff series before he became a free agent--think that pretty much answers the question. Everything being equal, the top 6 is

McD-Girardi
Staal/Strålman
Del Zotto/ Gilroy (or flip him with Strålman).

Bickel and Emminger are the extras.

I'm not convinced Del Zotto will ever be comfortable and effective on the right side. The defense will definitely continue to be an adventure.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:15 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Not really cause he's on the team this yr for sure as the 7 0r 8th dman and emergency 4 th line wing. DZ is signing and Sauer could be healthy when the lockout ends. Gilroy is a Ahl call up option only. Bickel and Eminger have one way deals and gives 8 D, McD,girardi, staal ,stralman, dz, sauer,Bickel, eminger
Gilroy won't be a call-up--if and when the season begins he has to sign an NHL contract to play in the NHL. I also have no doubt that the AHL contract he signed with the Whalepack has an out clause allowing him to leave the Whale to sign an NHL contract (it would be insane not to have one).

Old
10-06-2012, 12:19 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Well, not at all actually. Because if he doesn't work out on the big club (assuming that's the goal with bringing him back) then he can go to the Whale where he'd instantly be one of the clubs best defenseman.

You took my words wrong. I meant "nothing wrong with depth" when they're all suited to be depth players on the roster. Would I have a problem with having 6 Gilroy's on defense, and then signing a 7th Gilroy? You better believe it. But when we have 3 people on a similar level all vying for the 6th defensive spot in the lineup, then that is never, absolutely never, a problem.
Gilroy would need to go through waivers once he's signed an NHL contract. I seriously doubt the Rangers would be wiling tol risk losing him, if indeed they do sign him once the lockout ends.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:33 AM
Emptyvoid

I have a hard time erasing the play where Gilroy allowed Byfuglien to go around him in OT a few years ago in Chicago.

That was the game where we had at least 10 penalties against us and Chris Drury tied the game up (IIRC)

Emptyvoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:39 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
No more Gilroy please. The ship has sailed. There's a reason why he hasn't stuck on any other of the NHL rosters he's played on. He is not an NHL caliber defensemen.

Eminger > Gilroy

Hell I'll even take Bickel over Gilroy.
Gilroy is soft but can skate...other than that he is useless..Bickel can not skate, but is tough and can clear the crease better than Gilroy, at least with Bickel on the ice you know if anyone goes near Lundqvist, he will have something to say about it.. Gilroy would just let player go without get hit.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 01:40 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

What? NO! I refuse to give up on Stu!

4 more years! 4 more years!

10-06-2012, 02:10 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

I gave up way too many goals because of his ass in the NHL games lol. Really though, he'll only make the roster if there's an injury and he impresses. I doubt the ladder of the two is likely though.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 07:19 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I would take Bickel over Gilroy any day.
same here.

Bickel had a bad PO's and has gotten a terrible rap for that.

He played well for the Rangers defensively during the regular season and is better than Gilroy on that side of the puck not to mention light years more physical all over the ice especially in front of the net.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote