HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Thoughts on Weekend Whales Games

Old
10-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Thoughts on Weekend Whales Games

Things have slowed down significantly with posting things at the main site. So, I am doing a few things here. First is my Top 20 for the fall, which has been held up somewhere. The article with explanations you will have to wait for, but here is just the list. Why it is important has to do with some of my comments (below the list) that result from watching the Whale last night and today.

1. Chris Kreider, LW, 8.5C
2. JT Miller, LW, 7.0C
3. Dylan McIlrath, D, 7.0C
4. Jesper Fast, RW, 7.0C
5. Brady Skjei, D, 7.0C
6. Christian Thomas, RW, 7.5D
7. Michael St. Croix, C, 7.0C
8. Boo Nieves, C, 6.5C
9. Oscar Lindberg, C, 6.5C
10. Steven Fogarty, C, 7.0D
11. Calle Andersson, D, 6.5C
12. Andrew Yogan, C, 6.5C
13. Stu Bickel, D, 5.5A
14. Marek Hrivik, LW, 7.0D
15. Cam Talbot, G, 6.5C
16. Shane McColgan, RW, 6.0C
17. Ryan Bourque, LW, 6.5D
18. Jason Missiaen, G, 6.5D
19. Kyle Jean, C, 6.5D
20. Scott Stajcer, G, 6.0C

Comments following the weekend:

1. Kreider is scary good--he is already the best player that I have seen on an AHL team in years. He can skate better than anyone in the league, is extremely strong on the puck and his release is lightning fast. I have raised his rating in the Fall ranking, but I am not even sure that it accurately reflects how high I think that his ceiling is.

2. In every game and scrimmage that I have witnessed Kyle Jean is making things happen. Sometimes guys really are late bloomers, are signed without being drafted by anyone and just shine when they become pros. It really looks like Kyle Jean may be one of those.

3. JT Miller is learning, but I did not see much from him this weekend. Others have told me that Miller was one of the best players on the ice in earlier games this week (when I did not attend), but from what I saw, he still has a ways to go.

4. There were times in the two games this weekend that Andrew Yogan was very visible and others where he disappeared. He can use his body well, and has a good shot, but where he winds up on this team is still up in the air.

5. Christian Thomas had a terrible game today. He was completely invisible, except when he turned to puck over to an opponent in his own zone which led to a goal against. Thomas needs to get stronger on the puck to be successful in the pro game.

6. Jason Missiaen had a fabulous game last night and was very good last season--of the three goalies in the system, I believe that he has the most potential.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 08:05 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I know our prospects have definitely taken a step back, but that is still a more than solid top 20.

Top end has fallen off a bit but a good number of players I think will make the NHL in some capacity.

As always thanks Leslie!

10-08-2012, 02:29 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Interesting.

Granted I didn't see Sunday's game, on Saturday I thought Kreider was pretty average while Miller was very good.

Kreider had some big hits, a few good scoring opportunities and got time on the PK, but I've seen much better games from him. He didn't seem all that involved.

Miller on the other hand controlled a few shifts offensively, set up the Whale's 1st goal with strong work along the boards, and wasn't afraid to skate it into the zone.

Maybe I just have higher expectations for Kreider due to his age and experience (I have been a huge fan since day one), but I thought Miller was the better player.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 07:49 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Interesting.

Granted I didn't see Sunday's game, on Saturday I thought Kreider was pretty average while Miller was very good.

Kreider had some big hits, a few good scoring opportunities and got time on the PK, but I've seen much better games from him. He didn't seem all that involved.

Miller on the other hand controlled a few shifts offensively, set up the Whale's 1st goal with strong work along the boards, and wasn't afraid to skate it into the zone.

Maybe I just have higher expectations for Kreider due to his age and experience (I have been a huge fan since day one), but I thought Miller was the better player.
I can only think that you were watching a stream, which like all other video, only shows the action around the puck. Kreider played very well all over the ice--big hits, excellent speed up and down the ice, good boards work, took his man when he needed to, got excellent position when he needed to accept a pass.

Miller was not very good on Saturday in total and was pretty invisible on Sunday. On Saturday, he often did not take his man, which then allowed him to get a scoring chance, his passes were often not to the open guy, and he missed the spot he was supposed to be in to receive passes. Yes he did some things, but it was his entire game that I was looking at, most of which happened away from the puck. It is very hard to usually see someone's whole performance from a game video. Some things are obvious--like if you saw yesterday's video with Kreider's hat trick, some are not. It is why scouts are trying to use a lot of isolation video on a particular player.

Let's agree to disagree on this one, okay.

Old
10-08-2012, 11:01 AM
eco's bones

Miller is still really young. Playing in the AHL a year early is a huge step. He's probably capable but expecting a huge season from him stat wise if that happens is probably expecting too much. Yogan seemed a bit up and down as well against the Phantoms. The guy who impressed me most on that line was Jean--he was getting to loose pucks and moving the puck up and down the ice. He has the size and the strength to hold on to pucks and make plays. Some guy was talking about him as a future 4th liner--maybe?--but maybe more than a 4th liner. He is older and more physically attuned to where his body is at--no doubt.

From watching Kreider on saturday--there wasn't a whole lot to see. He was getting in on the forecheck and bumping players often enough. He seemed to do well on the pk and he burst past and outmuscled a d-man for the empty netter.

Haven't seen Thomas so I'm not going to comment.

Missiaen was outstanding against the Phantoms. At least in the first two periods it looked to me that Adirondack had a significant advantage in getting shots to the net. Their pwp for one thing was a lot crisper. They had a number of guys who will probably be in the NHL for significant playing time this year (if there is a year)--Couturier, Schenn, Bourdon, Gustafsson, Wellwood, Rinaldo and Zolnierczyk and it showed in more territorial advantage. Missiaen absolutely robbed Schenn in the 3rd period.

As far as the list I'd switch Skjei and Fasth and move Jean up a few spots. Bourque would move down.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Levitate

Yeah there's realistically no way you could tell much about anyone's game on Saturday based on the video feed we had. Miller made a nice play to setup that goal but you just can't see well enough to draw conclusions about anything else

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
That's odd. Cerny and co. were going hoopla over Miller's performance. Thanks for the insight Leslie, I love this time of year!

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
That's odd. Cerny and co. were going hoopla over Miller's performance. Thanks for the insight Leslie, I love this time of year!
The Rangers are really hyping Miller and Stajcer. As I said, I only saw Miller this weekend and in the first scrimmage last weekend. I have seen Stajcer several times over the years, including yesterday, when he was down (let in a softie) and up (made some spectacular saves before finally giving up a goal). I just think that Missiaen has more upside.

Old
10-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Miller is still really young. Playing in the AHL a year early is a huge step.
As far as the list I'd switch Skjei and Fasth and move Jean up a few spots. Bourque would move down.
Miller will play AHL hockey a year early--BTW, I heard over the weekend that he will not be returning to the O, if anyone was seriously wondering if that is going to happen.

As far as the list goes, it was made up about 6 weeks ago, ie, before camp. Jean would certainly be moved up if it was being composed now.

Old
10-08-2012, 12:25 PM
NYR Viper

Hey Leslie, how did Bourque look? Obviously last season was not up to expectations for anyone involved. I am pretty down on him just due to his lack of size and apparent lack of offensive upside which is needed at his size.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 01:29 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Leslie, what would you rate Thomas Spelling?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Hey Leslie, how did Bourque look? Obviously last season was not up to expectations for anyone involved. I am pretty down on him just due to his lack of size and apparent lack of offensive upside which is needed at his size.
I thought that I read he had been out with an injury?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 08:45 PM
trader11

Hat trick for Kreider today......

http://www.ctwhale.com/news/detail/w...eason-with-win

trader11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 08:47 PM
trader11

Sorry, that was yesterday....

trader11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Bourque has an undisclosed injury.

Spelling I have not seen play, but from what I have heard about him, he could turn out to be an interesting prospect. We shall see.

BTW, I hope that you all know that I do think that Miller is a good prospect (obviously, I ranked him second overall)--I am just reporting what I saw this past weekend.