HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News from Around the League - Part XXXIII - The "No, you go first" edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
The NHLPA doesn't care where the players are playing as long as they are getting paid
And more specifically, getting paid on guaranteed contracts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyChuk View Post
I don't think he can. Nabokov had to deal with it and play with the Islanders even though he tried to hold out as long as possible.
But the difference is that the Islanders wanted Nabokov on their team and he didn't want to report. Redden isn't wanted by the Rangers, but he has a contract and does report, so they can't get rid of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
I don't believe this is how it works. If Redden refuses to report, he gets suspended by the Rangers and they don't have to pay him anything/he comes off the cap. The contract isn't voided though.
I think it can be voided by mutual agreement between the player and the club, I seem to remember that that's what happened with Shanahan when Lemaire cut him in the preseason of 2009-10 and Shanny asked Lou to make him a UFA to see if he could catch on elsewhere instead of going to the AHL. When he didn't get any interest from other teams, then he retired.

If Redden and the Rangers both wanted the contract to be released, it could be voided. The reason it isn't is because Redden doesn't mind getting paid to ride the buses and won't agree to retire or void his deal.

Old
10-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Todd Cordell ‏@ToddCordell
Darren Dreger just said on TSN that there's talk about being able to trade cap space in a new CBA. #NHL
I am really against this idea, taken to its logical conclusion it leads right back to the sort of cap loopholes that the owners said they wanted to avoid.

Old
10-16-2012, 05:41 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I am really against this idea, taken to its logical conclusion it leads right back to the sort of cap loopholes that the owners said they wanted to avoid.
It really is laughable. They don't really want these loopholes gone... they just want to be able to ***** and moan when other owners screw them with it. Be it skewing market prices or outbidding for FAs.

Old
10-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
I don't mind this idea because poorer teams get rewarded for prudence. It's not like richer teams will spend with no repercussion. They'll lose picks and players. Additionally, this gives richer teams an extra incentive to save some cap space.

A team like the Islanders would be able to strategize and accumulate a lot of value while their team is maturing.

Additionally, it's not as if a rich team can simply load up on free agents and expect to get out scott free. If other teams see that, they'll have the leverage, and make the rich team pay an arm and a leg for the cap space.

Old
10-16-2012, 05:49 PM
AsherDoodle

Dreger also said on TSN Insider Trading that some teams want a financial penalty levied against teams that have given out front loaded mega deals.

http://iphone.tsn.ca/mobile/2012/10/...ing_101612.mp4

Old
10-16-2012, 05:52 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsherDoodle View Post
Dreger also said on TSN Insider Trading that some teams want a financial penalty levied against teams that have given out front loaded mega deals.

You can't punish teams for **** done in a previous CBA. These owners need to ****ing off themselves.

Old
10-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
I don't mind this idea because poorer teams get rewarded for not spending. It's not like richer teams will spend with no repercussion. They'll lose picks and players.

A team like the Islanders would be able to strategize and accumulate a lot of value while their team is maturing.
It still undermines the basic tenets behind the concept of a cap. Rich teams can once again attempt to buy their success by throwing around more money than other teams are allowed to spend, instead of through shrewd long term planning and development strategies by their GMs.

Keep a flat cap for everyone, with a few reasonable exceptions like LTIR, and we'll keep the parity we want. I feel like encouraging teams not to spend would lead to situations like in MLB where owners of small market teams pocket money and keep their teams uncompetitive because it pays better for them. We already have a small problem with some teams tanking for higher picks. Do you really trust the Islanders to sell their cap space responsibly?

Old
10-16-2012, 05:53 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
I feel like encouraging teams not to spend would lead to situations like in MLB where owners of small market teams pocket money and keep their teams uncompetitive because it pays better for them. Do you really trust the Islanders to sell their cap space responsibly?
That's exactly what would happen

Old
10-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:

We've already paid ours. And have a draft pick we have to forfeit.

I like our opening schedule better. Opening night against the Pens don't sound nice, but we got Florida, Winnipeg,and the WiLOLd first few games.

I hope Longoman don't go to Florida. We're historically bad against him, and have made him look a lot better than he is forever. Even when Florida was awful during those years. This team has a problem scoring on humongous pad monsters. If it were the playoffs I say we can beat him, just like we did with Clemmensen, Bryz, and Lundqvist. Regular season who knows.

Old
10-16-2012, 05:57 PM
AsherDoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
We've already paid ours. And have a draft pick we have to forfeit.
Well, he specifically says New Jersey twice. He actually singles out New Jersey, Philadelphia and Vancouver but doesn't even mention Minnesota, NYR, Detroit, et al.

Old
10-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Richer's Ghost
Pickle Pops?

vCash: 425
Quote:

Fine - give us our #1 pick back and we'll pay the fine. Oh wait, we already did - $3M if I recall correctly.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Old
10-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
It still undermines the basic tenets behind the concept of a cap. Rich teams can once again attempt to buy their success by throwing around more money than other teams are allowed to spend, instead of through shrewd long term planning and development strategies by their GMs.

Keep a flat cap for everyone, with a few reasonable exceptions like LTIR, and we'll keep the parity we want. I feel like encouraging teams not to spend would lead to situations like in MLB where owners of small market teams pocket money and keep their teams uncompetitive because it pays better for them. We already have a small problem with some teams tanking for higher picks. Do you really trust the Islanders to sell their cap space responsibly?
Except rich teams are penalized for doing so. They will cannibalize themselves if they continually trade assets for cap space.

And you're incentivizing poorer teams to be prudent by providing them with a return that will help them be competitive in the future.

We obviously don't know how the market will shake out exactly. But I bet teams like the Islanders could exact a hefty price from some teams at the deadline. Also remember that the cap will be lower with no salary rollbacks, meaning that the amount of cap space just went down in the near term while the price willing to be paid for cap space went up.

Old
10-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:

Absolutely absurd. How can you retroactively go back and penalize teams for moves that were technically legal at the time.

Old
10-16-2012, 06:06 PM
manilaNJ

On a selfish note, as well... do we really want Shero, Holmgren and Sather, our friendly neighborhood GMs in the division... to have more buying power? Especially at a time where financial problems are present within this team?

I don't like that idea at all.

Quote:

I will raise all holy hell if this team gets punished twice, once harshly, if this becomes a reality.

Old
10-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

They better go after POS jabroni Minnesota for signing TWO front loaded contracts this Summer. What's the difference between Kovy's, and those two? What a bunch of BS.

Old
10-16-2012, 06:15 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Now I'm hearing counter proposal from the PA? Is this really the end? Or likely not?

Old
10-16-2012, 06:19 PM
manilaNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Now I'm hearing counter proposal from the PA? Is this really the end? Or likely not?
Things are brighter today than they were yesterday.
But it's hard to gauge the temperature until the NHLPA officially counters this proposal. See how much work is left to do, how much more budging is needed to be made.

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
Initial reaction from players is not great. They still see themselves losing on revenue split and contract terms. Want more info on...

revenue-sharing formula. Also concerned about escrow for next year even with any losses guaranteed as a deferral.

They do, however, see it as a start. Will be interesting to see what NHLPA comes back with.

One issue pointed out: Entry-level deals: 2yrs. Max contract: 5 yrs. No free agency until after 8 yrs. That really clamps on 2nd contracts.

Old
10-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Doesnt sound like the Players like how much money they lose in the HRR in this

Old
10-16-2012, 06:34 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

That's why I'm not excited yet. I got my hopes up too much that this would get done before September. Still won't be surprised if the whole season is cancelled. I put nothing past them.

Old
10-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Nick0930

I don't know how much players make in revenue, but wouldn't losing a whole season cause them to lose more in their career than if they took the 50/50 split?

Old
10-16-2012, 07:12 PM
CerebralGenesis

The fact that we are here in October with these discussions is excitement.

Old
10-16-2012, 07:18 PM
elias026

just wanted to share if anyone didnt see this yet.

@tpanotchCSN: Flyers player rep Braydon Coburn: "I'm hopeful this proposal signals a willingness from the NHL to begin serious negotiations."

Old
10-16-2012, 07:21 PM
CerebralGenesis

I'm hoping Coburn means that the PA is going to negotiate with the league now instead of being half-conscious while asking for built-in raises over the CBA.

Old
10-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I'm hoping Coburn means that the PA is going to negotiate with the league now instead of being half-conscious while asking for built-in raises over the CBA.
Well, both sides have been exerting the same stance of "you move first." NHL has caved in, somewhat first, now the players can either stand pat again and hope they cave in some more, or talk it out and probably get a lesser deal than if the NHL would cave in again.

Also, by waiting the NHL out, that could also backfire on them and anger the owners who will repent/lower their offer.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:29 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Just get SOMETHING done, dammit!

We only have Marty(and Moose) for 2 more years and that's pretty much it.

I'd like it NOT to end up being his Last year(next year) that we see him play.

Closed Thread