HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News from Around the League - Part XXXIII - The "No, you go first" edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
Just get SOMETHING done, dammit!

We only have Marty(and Moose) for 2 more years and that's pretty much it.

I'd like it NOT to end up being his Last year(next year) that we see him play.
Marty will play until he's 75!

Of course with all the alimony right?

Old
10-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Except rich teams are penalized for doing so. They will cannibalize themselves if they continually trade assets for cap space.
That's the same argument for why a salary cap is theoretically unnecessary, but it doesn't work in practice. You'll end up with teams with multiple bloated contracts who keep trading away younger assets for aging stars and the flavour of the week, getting severe diminishing returns on their investments.

That's not a better NHL than the parity of today. It adds unnecessary complexity to the cap calculations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias026 View Post
just wanted to share if anyone didnt see this yet.

@tpanotchCSN: Flyers player rep Braydon Coburn: "I'm hopeful this proposal signals a willingness from the NHL to begin serious negotiations."
I don't like the attitude that statement betrays. The time for grandstanding is long past. Now is the time to negotiate properly and work out a solution, and that requires both sides shifting their positions somewhat. The players have not exactly tried to meet the owners halfway yet.

Old
10-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
The floor for this season would be $43.9M and cap would be $59.9M altho in Year 1 teams could still spend to $70.2M but only in Year 1.

Old
10-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
The floor for this season would be $43.9M and cap would be $59.9M altho in Year 1 teams could still spend to $70.2M but only in Year 1.
Eh. And what would the cap be next year? $60 million like proposed? Also will there be a rollback in everybody's cap hit? How does this work?

Old
10-16-2012, 10:46 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
If this becomes reality... I'm taking the day off of work at the trade deadline, because it's going to be a trade sideshow. Watching GMs scramble to make room will be entertaining as hell.

Old
10-16-2012, 10:48 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

If that's the case I really don't want Zubrus given the same amount on next contract that he got on this one like some people think he should get. We need to worry about locking up Zajac, and Clarkson who will most definitely get raises.

Old
10-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
If that's the case I really don't want Zubrus given the same amount on next contract that he got on this one like some people think he should get. We need to worry about locking up Zajac, and Clarkson who will most definitely get raises.
If the cap goes down, these ridiculous contracts wont be here

Old
10-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Quote:
Eh. And what would the cap be next year? $60 million like proposed? Also will there be a rollback in everybody's cap hit? How does this work?
No rollback according to what I saw on twitter. Just this one season to sort your team out

Old
10-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
If the cap goes down, these ridiculous contracts wont be here
What you think we can keep Zajac, and Clarkson for? $5 a year for Trav, $4 a year for Dave?

Old
10-16-2012, 11:08 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
What you think we can keep Zajac, and Clarkson for? $5 a year for Trav, $4 a year for Dave?
IF UFA age goes up, I don't care because there won't be competition...unless they Parise themselves for a 1 year deal.

Old
10-16-2012, 11:45 PM
AsherDoodle

Quote:
Absolutely absurd. How can you retroactively go back and penalize teams for moves that were technically legal at the time.
This is the financial penalty Dreger was alluding to:

Any existing deal in excess of 5 yrs would carry cap hit in every year of contract, even if player were to retire with year(s) left.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...14946461818881

Old
10-17-2012, 05:10 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsherDoodle View Post
Dreger also said on TSN Insider Trading that some teams want a financial penalty levied against teams that have given out front loaded mega deals.

http://iphone.tsn.ca/mobile/2012/10/...ing_101612.mp4
A retroactive penalty, eh?

Quote:

Any existing deal in excess of 5 yrs would carry cap hit in every year of contract, even if player were to retire with year(s) left.

Meh, these players will still be traded and THEN retire. The trading team loses the cap hit and the acquiring team gets a cap hit and doesnt have to pay.

EDIT: after reading twitter, apparently they already caught this loophole.

This is a shocking development...the NHL actively trying to close loopholes?

Also, I have a feeling the PA is going to come back with something completely different.

Last edited by njdevsfn95: 10-17-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old
10-17-2012, 05:52 AM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
A retroactive penalty, eh?

Meh, these players will still be traded and THEN retire. The trading team loses the cap hit and the acquiring team gets a cap hit and doesnt have to pay.

EDIT: after reading twitter, apparently they already caught this loophole.

This is a shocking development...the NHL actively trying to close loopholes?

Also, I have a feeling the PA is going to come back with something completely different.
The worse part is that there is actually a good chance that it happens.

Old
10-17-2012, 08:17 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
That's the same argument for why a salary cap is theoretically unnecessary, but it doesn't work in practice. You'll end up with teams with multiple bloated contracts who keep trading away younger assets for aging stars and the flavour of the week, getting severe diminishing returns on their investments.

That's not a better NHL than the parity of today. It adds unnecessary complexity to the cap calculations.
But it's not the same argument. If we had no cap, teams with money could sign free agents to ridiculous contracts at a whim with no downside. That's not the case with this proposal. Rich teams who exceed will get penalized by trading away assets, while poorer teams who wouldn't reach the cap anyway get helped. This actually levels the playing field more than the status quo does.

And personally, the idea of rich teams getting "diminishing returns on their investments" sounds great to me. I hope they feel the pain for stupid management. All the while poorer teams will benefit from collecting picks and cheap players.

Old
10-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:

Eh, guess I'm fine with that. We might run into problems with Kovy, but then again, about 15 teams are going to run into problems with this.

Old
10-17-2012, 08:28 AM
CerebralGenesis

Ya I'm not sure what i think about the cap hit lasting the whole way no matter but I'm indifferent.

If the pa doesn't respond under this framework, ill create a twitter and bombard their greedy *****.

Old
10-17-2012, 08:43 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

it doesnt matter what these terms are, they are just framework. we'll see how the PA responds

Old
10-17-2012, 09:05 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Apparently the NHL has made public its entire proposal. Interesting, obviously a PR move, but now they can't be accused of hiding anything either.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
wait

so if a player TRADES someone with a deal longer than 5 years and then he retires down teh road, the ORIGINAL team is on the hook for that cap hit?

I absolutely hate that.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:09 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

PA will lose all support if they take long on this

Old
10-17-2012, 09:11 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:

This could create some bizarre situations. Say Luongo is traded, and then he retires after a few years with his new club for whatever reason. By the rule as proposed, Vancouver would end up back on the hook for his cap hit. Total madness.

Quote:
But it's not the same argument. If we had no cap, teams with money could sign free agents to ridiculous contracts at a whim with no downside. That's not the case with this proposal. Rich teams who exceed will get penalized by trading away assets, while poorer teams who wouldn't reach the cap anyway get helped. This actually levels the playing field more than the status quo does.

And personally, the idea of rich teams getting "diminishing returns on their investments" sounds great to me. I hope they feel the pain for stupid management. All the while poorer teams will benefit from collecting picks and cheap players.
That's in theory. But what actually happened when there was no cap? Teams like the Rangers and Leafs traded away their picks and prospects for aging superstars, and overpaid mediocre players in UFA, distorting the market for everyone, and rarely seeing any success come of it. That's essentially the same effect that would occur if you allow teams to trade cap space.

I'd rather have the flat cap NHL with parity, than an NHL with a distorted labour market and teams allowed to spend different amounts of money. It's needlessly introducing more loopholes into an already flawed system where they are ostensibly trying to close the loopholes.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:29 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

What about Kovy?

StrayCat brought it up briefly but I think if this comes to pass, the Devils and Lou are going to be CONTINUOUSLY Penalized every year(after Kovy's 5th year of the deal, am I right?) then. Unless I'm looking at this wrong....

Old
10-17-2012, 09:31 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

im sure there will be some grandfathering in

Old
10-17-2012, 09:33 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

NHL proposal to save 82-game season

NHL released everything they submitted to the NHLPA yesterday.
They say it's the full proposal, I doubt that, but it covers most of the ground.

Probably the most interesting part:

Quote:
• In the context of Player Trades, participating Clubs will be permitted to allocate Cap charges and related salary payment obligations between them, subject to specified parameters. Specifically, Clubs may agree to retain, for each of the remaining years of the Player's SPC, no more than the lesser of: (i) $3 million of a particular SPC's Cap charge or (ii) 50 percent of the SPC's AAV ("Retained Salary Transaction"). In any Retained Salary Transaction, salary obligations as between Clubs would be allocated on the same percentage basis as Cap charges are being allocated. So, for instance, if an assigning Club agrees to retain 30% of an SPC's Cap charge over the balance of its term, it will also retain an obligation to reimburse the acquiring Club 30% of the Player's contractual compensation in each of the remaining years of the contract. A Club may not have more than two (2) contracts as to which Cap charges have been allocated between Clubs in a Player Trade, and no more than $5 million in allocated Cap charges in the aggregate in any one season.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:36 AM
I Hate Tie DOMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
This could create some bizarre situations. Say Luongo is traded, and then he retires after a few years with his new club for whatever reason. By the rule as proposed, Vancouver would end up back on the hook for his cap hit. Total madness.

I think this is there to create incentive for the team handing out those long term deals to take responsibility for it and not just trade away mistakes like the Rangers with Gomez, Luongo possible being traded, etc. However, if this does go through that means the trade market for these individuals should open up if the team getting them isn't on the hook for anything but there current salary and cap hit.

Closed Thread