HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News from Around the League - Part XXXIII - The "No, you go first" edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2012, 08:36 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nona weisbaum View Post
I just can't for the life of me fathom how the NHL, the top professional hockey league in the world, sees it fit to operate like this. I just can't. It's as if the shame of losing an entire season of play 8 years ago means absolutely nothing to these ****ers. What kind of professional league lets something like that happen, and then have the nerve to cancel games AGAIN the first ****ing chance they get at negotiating a new CBA?! At what point does the embarrassment of operating a "professional" organization this way, kick in?

I just refuse to take sides on this because they're all greedy pigs. NHLPA, NHL, it doesn't matter. But the players' union may be one of the most inept groups on this earth. Whether they're trying to fight a good fight and all that jazz, they're going to ultimately lose more and more the longer this continues. They know this. EVERYONE KNOWS THIS!

A league that operates this way has absolutely zero respect for the sport or its history and zero respect for its loyal fanbase and zero regard for any consequences that will come of this. As fans of the sport, we deserve better than this. I sincerely hope that people stay away in droves this time. Take your season and stick it up your collective *****. The only way both group are ever going to learn is when the money isn't ****ing there to fight over and that is the one thing the fans can control. Give both of these groups exactly what they deserve; nothing.
Welcome to the world of professional sports. The NBA had a lockout that missed games just last year. The NFL had a lockout where if the expired date was structured like the NHL it might have missed games, MLB had a work stoppage every time the CBA expired from 70s until 2002. Part of the business, in 2012 you have to accept that as a pro sports fan.

Old
10-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Cory Booker ‏@CoryBooker
Very. RT @Scottyk9: How badly is the NHL lockout hurting the city ?

Old
10-18-2012, 08:41 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Awww, does someone miss his huckster?

Old
10-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

NHL is so amateur

Old
10-18-2012, 08:45 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
Welcome to the world of professional sports. The NBA had a lockout that missed games just last year. The NFL had a lockout where if the expired date was structured like the NHL it might have missed games, MLB had a work stoppage every time the CBA expired from 70s until 2002. Part of the business, in 2012 you have to accept that as a pro sports fan.
How many games did MLB miss though? The one in 94 before the season ended when our buddy Don was involved. NBA had a lockout that took out half a season in the last 90s, and then almost a half last year.

We lost half a season in 94, a whole season in 04, and I don't know what of this season. I'm getting sick thinking about it.

Old
10-18-2012, 08:52 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
The NFL hasn't missed games since 1987 (well really they missed one and had three 'replacement' games). MLB hasn't missed games since 1994 and the start of '95 when of course Mr. Fehr was involved with the season-ending strike. The NBA missed half of one season in '99 and 1/4 of another last year.

The NHL missed one entire season, half of another and is now looking to be out a long time this time around, that's a perfect hat trick - three CBA's, three extended absences of the sport. It can't go on this way. The NHL has missed more games combined in the last seventeen years than all the other sports combined. There's the business of sports, and then there's the NHL which seems to think NOT being in business is the best business.

Old
10-18-2012, 08:54 PM
CerebralGenesis

The NHL labor issues are head and shoulders worse than the other leagues. I don't see how that is remotely debatable. When it looks bad, one side brings in Fehr and his tactics.

Old
10-18-2012, 08:58 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

And btw I reject the premise you 'have' to accept labor nonsense as a sports fan. No you don't. Sports don't exist without fans. Baseball fans after '81 and '94 finally had enough and sent a message loud and clear in '95. Attendance was down 20% and the anger was palpable and lasting with all kinds of demonstrations - fans throwing money onto the field and such. Surprise, surprise - no labor stoppages since then.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Yeah, that was basically my point. You have labor issues and then you have the NHL. This league is a ****ing circus.

I'm really fed up with this garbage, that's all I know. As much as I love the Devils, there comes a certain point when enough is enough. They can't let this type of **** continue to keep happening over and over and over again. At some point people are going to finally wash their hands with it. It is inevitable imho. In economic times like these, the last thing the paying customer needs to see is rich people fighting over money. Especially when this is the third time in 17 years we're being ****ed with this nonsense.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:21 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
hahaha

Old
10-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Al Trautwig
Throaty Roar

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...craig-leipold/

Minnesota’s Zach Parise has been pretty vocal when it comes to calling out the owners as the lockout rages on. He’s sounded off before, but after seeing the NHL reject the players’ union’s three proposals this afternoon, he’s got his dander up again.

Parise tells Michael Russo of The Star-Tribune he’s upset about how the owners conducted business this summer with a lockout on the horizon they knew they’d put into effect and Wild owner Craig Leipold sort of gets called out.

“You have all these owners signing big deals minutes before the CBA expires and then going the next day, ‘We don’t want to pay these contracts,’” Parise said. “Maybe that’s how they conduct business. That just doesn’t seem right. What if us players signed a deal and said, ‘You know what, I actually want 15 percent more?’”

Russo asked Parise if he was, indeed, calling out Leipold and he wisely said he wasn’t “pointing fingers” at anyone. Hmm.

Leipold, of course, signed Parise and Ryan Suter to identical 13-year, $98 million contracts this summer. Meanwhile, Leipold is one of the owners leading negotiations for their side, precisely one of the owners Parise would be calling out if he were assessing blame.

Awkward.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:31 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

seriously butt **** parise. what an ikea big blue bag of dicks.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:34 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Yeah, that was basically my point. You have labor issues and then you have the NHL. This league is a ****ing circus.

I'm really fed up with this garbage, that's all I know. As much as I love the Devils, there comes a certain point when enough is enough. They can't let this type of **** continue to keep happening over and over and over again. At some point people are going to finally wash their hands with it. It is inevitable imho. In economic times like these, the last thing the paying customer needs to see is rich people fighting over money. Especially when this is the third time in 17 years we're being ****ed with this nonsense.
I don't know. I'm disheartened.
But I love the Devils, I love live hockey.

And a part of me doesn't want players like Henrique and Larsson to play in an arena full of empty seats.

On one hand, I want the youngins to realize not to pull stunts like this in the future.
On the other, after all they went through last season, I want to see them tear it up this year.

But I feel like I can't get excited about the season starting again.

I have a mixed crap bag of emotions about my own fandom right now.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:37 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Except what gets glossed over is for all the *****ing and moaning about HRR and who gets what, that's only ONE part of the CBA. Granted, the biggest part but it's not like they are even close to agreeing on ANYTHING ELSE either. I get that they can't really talk about it until HRR gets decided but the owners want to swing 'everything' to their favor with FA, entry-level deals, etc. That's not going to take six hours to hammer out either.
If the NHL gets what they want on HRR, they will give up a lot more on the secondary issues.

If the PA gets what they want on HRR, they will give up a lot more on the secondary issues.

"more" is the key term but it probably wouldnt be protracted once HRR is settled, really. Both sides would see stalling as instant money lost.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:38 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

This whole thing is a giant mess. In my opinion, Fehr never had a problem with a shortened season. I think he truly expects Bettman to cave eventually. I hope he will realize Bettman is not Selig.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great

parise will never name leipold by name...ever.

this guy is such a joke. there is a whole thread about his comments on the business board. yeah, i am suppose to believe he had absolutely no idea that the owners could potentially not honor the terms of his contract.

nah...impossible

i wonder what the signing bonus was for?

Old
10-18-2012, 09:43 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

I lost a lot of respect for Zach Parise. I can't hate the guy though.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:54 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
BTW, wtf is with that Paajarvi thread in the trade board. Did those guys really want Merrill for a guy who will top out as a 3rd liner?
I stopped reading Edmonton/NJ proposal threads when it kept being argued that all of our defensemen and prospects could barely break their 3rd pairing.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Brick City
Ignore me!

Quote:

I like Booker for the most part, but completely hilarious.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:09 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:

I have to admit I'm so glad the Devil players and owner haven't been making ***** of themselves publicly. It makes it easier to get back into the team once this ends. If we had arrogant jack***** popping off in the press like the clown who used to play here before he decided to play with his childhood friend for $100 million this would be a lot harder to swallow and forgive.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Cory Booker ‏@CoryBooker
Very. RT @Scottyk9: How badly is the NHL lockout hurting the city ?
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Trautwig View Post
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...craig-leipold/

Minnesota’s Zach Parise has been pretty vocal when it comes to calling out the owners as the lockout rages on. He’s sounded off before, but after seeing the NHL reject the players’ union’s three proposals this afternoon, he’s got his dander up again.

Parise tells Michael Russo of The Star-Tribune he’s upset about how the owners conducted business this summer with a lockout on the horizon they knew they’d put into effect and Wild owner Craig Leipold sort of gets called out.

“You have all these owners signing big deals minutes before the CBA expires and then going the next day, ‘We don’t want to pay these contracts,’” Parise said. “Maybe that’s how they conduct business. That just doesn’t seem right. What if us players signed a deal and said, ‘You know what, I actually want 15 percent more?’”

Russo asked Parise if he was, indeed, calling out Leipold and he wisely said he wasn’t “pointing fingers” at anyone. Hmm.

Leipold, of course, signed Parise and Ryan Suter to identical 13-year, $98 million contracts this summer. Meanwhile, Leipold is one of the owners leading negotiations for their side, precisely one of the owners Parise would be calling out if he were assessing blame.

Awkward.

Ever since Zach was let go he's sounded more and more like his pops who couldn't shut up when his son was here

Now that Zach left the Lou-IA, he's spoken about things you'd never hear him do so while here, how he and Suter talked and all that stuff plus now his multiple complaints about the owners the past month and a half

Thank God for Lou otherwise this guy would have sounded like a bumbling idiot while here

Old
10-18-2012, 10:12 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

kovi will end up being the better captain here. for serious.

...and i will laugh when he hoists a cup first.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:16 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Now that Zach left the Lou-IA, he's spoken about things you'd never hear him do so while here, how he and Suter talked and all that stuff plus now his multiple complaints about the owners the past month and a half

Thank God for Lou otherwise this guy would have sounded like a bumbling idiot while here
That's part of the reason why you don't hear Devil players acting like spoiled idiots in public during the lockout, or vent on Twitter. I mean yeah guys like Marty, Moose and Kovy will speak their mind but they're not going to get combative with the fans or media.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
That's part of the reason why you don't hear Devil players acting like spoiled idiots in public during the lockout, or vent on Twitter. I mean yeah guys like Marty, Moose and Kovy will speak their mind but they're not going to get combative with the fans or media.
Unless your Krys Barch who might to doomed to Albany after this rant once Lou can get a hold of him for it.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:24 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Unless your Krys Barch who might to doomed to Albany after this rant once Lou can get a hold of him for it.
lol I can't even get wrapped up in what some goon who hasn't even played with the team yet says (I saw his rant a while back but it's pretty insignificant considering Barch is insignificant as a player). He'll definitely get his Twitter removed ala McKenna.

Closed Thread