HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News from Around the League - Part XXXIII - The "No, you go first" edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2012, 07:32 AM
Zippy316

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDevil View Post
I've heard the video quality is garbage, but maybe they fixed it. Regardless, $150 just for just your team's home and away games? Seems a bit high to me.
Just come here at game time and we usually find a feed.

If there's an online feed somewhere, people will rip it.

Old
10-21-2012, 09:00 AM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

So another College break where I could have taken my Daughter to a game has come and gone.

Get your sniveling arses in the ****ing conference room and get this **** done.

Old
10-21-2012, 09:14 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
They have a deal with sportsnet in canada i doubt any tv companies here in the states were interested.
i personally wouldnt mind if tru tv worked out a deal instead of showing 15 different staged repo shows that arent funny or entertaining.

Old
10-21-2012, 09:41 AM
NJDevilsZG
I'll drive team bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
Is it for xbox too? I might get in on this especially if there's a shortened season because the prices are definitely going down.
Not sure, but check the list of covered devices on nhl.com
For PS3, there is an app on PSNetwork, and you just connect it to your GameCenter account. As XBox is dominant in USA, my guess is it must be covered too.

Old
10-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevilsZG View Post
Not sure, but check the list of covered devices on nhl.com
For PS3, there is an app on PSNetwork, and you just connect it to your GameCenter account. As XBox is dominant in USA, my guess is it must be covered too.
Allegedly it's being pushed forward in the fall dashboard update, but since there's a lockout... it may not be.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
NHLPA members bashing Bettman for NHL actions shows how little IQ this group has

Bettman is part of owners bloc but the hate he gets from players who seem to think every action is personel vendetta by him is absurd
He's a convenient lightning rod for criticism. What's the alternative? Publicly ripping down the individual owners that were until recently signing their paychecks? That might get awkward once the league resumes play, so Bettman is an acceptable proxy to take the heat.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:32 PM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
He's a convenient lightning rod for criticism. What's the alternative? Publicly ripping down the individual owners that were until recently signing their paychecks? That might get awkward once the league resumes play, so Bettman is an acceptable proxy to take the heat.
Totally agree. But it doesn't really impress when they go after Bettman but are to afraid to comment on the owners.

What I wonder is, how powerful IS Bettman vis-a-vis the owners? Is he just some vodoo doll out there taking orders from the owners, or is he actually staging things personally? Seems like that is a bit unknown.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:57 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

If Eklund can get one thing right I promise not to make fun of him again. Said he feels CBA will be worked out by Tuesday. He's said countless things like camps will open on time, and CBA will be negotiated along according to sources. This was a week before the 15th of September. Not to mention the league, and PA talking in secret quite a few times. None of this proved to be true.

I'm still waiting on hockey insider's word after his meeting with CBA source that was supposed to have happened at 7:00 PM tonight! I still think hockey insider is a complete joke. He sure seems like it sometimes. However Eklund seems like he's trying to be legit, or at least believes he is.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:07 AM
apice3*

How can he possibly know about the CBA being agreed on soon when the two sides aren't even negotiating?

Old
10-22-2012, 01:10 AM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
How can he possibly know about the CBA being agreed on soon when the two sides aren't even negotiating?
How did he know training camp was gonna start while the CBA was being negotiated back in September? He didn't because he was wrong!

Hockey insider just posted a blog saying his source is very optimistic a deal will get done next week. Now I'm wondering if this was a rumor started somewhere by somebody, that's just spreading like wildfire. That or if him, and Eklund are the same person!

And no I really don't read these guys for legit news. I do like to read, and will check out everything. If not for the entertainment/comedy factor.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:17 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
How did he know training camp was gonna start while the CBA was being negotiated back in September? He didn't because he was wrong!

Hockey insider just posted a blog saying his source is very optimistic a deal will get done next week. Now I'm wondering if this was a rumor started somewhere by somebody, that's just spreading like wildfire. That or if him, and Eklund are the same person!

And no I really don't read these guys for legit news. I do like to read, and will check out everything. If not for the entertainment/comedy factor.
Eklund put me on the front page of his website once. He wrote an article about Doc when he left the Devils and used a picture I have where I met Doc after a game at the train station. I had no idea until a friend of mine called me and told me while laughing hysterically.

Only two places where he could have got that picture... my facebook, or more than likely, HFBoards. Pretty much proof that he reads this site.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:28 AM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Haha that's weird man!

I do read these guys a lot like I said. Not expecting to get legit news, but I do sometimes look to try to make ends meet of a story. Try to wait it, and out and find some legitimacy. I usually never do. Hockey insider had the blog just now about his source, and next week. He did say the Luntz group pushed to make the NHL's proposal public. I think he's right on that. I never thought of that until he said it. Doesn't mean he got it from a source though, but it makes sense. I think I fell for that one. I did read something maybe last Monday about Luntz, and trying to get the NHL to get the fans on their side. It wasn't by either of the questionable guys either. I forget where I read it. Then the NHL's proposal came, and I forgot all about it.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:18 AM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
All the rumor mongers are going to say the lockout is gonna end this week because if hell freezes over and the lockout ends they will try and convince people they are creditable .

Old
10-22-2012, 07:03 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
All the rumor mongers are going to say the lockout is gonna end this week because if hell freezes over and the lockout ends they will try and convince people they are creditable .
And as usual, they'll be wrong

What I want to know is what the 'real' drop dead date is? I think the Winter Classic is big in terms of whether we'll have any season at all. It hasn't been made public what the real drop-dead date is for canceling it, only that it's probably sometime in late November. I'm agreeing with the school that if it gets canceled, it's nuclear war again.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Eklund is just preying on people's desires, everybody's yearning for positive news about the lockout ending and he gives it to them, even if it is all complete tripe. This is old territory for him, he did this stuff the last time too, and he was just as wrong, but yet somehow it launched him to prominence.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:56 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
What I wonder is, how powerful IS Bettman vis-a-vis the owners? Is he just some vodoo doll out there taking orders from the owners, or is he actually staging things personally? Seems like that is a bit unknown.
I've got a few friends who just unearthed a treasure trove of hockey related books for me to dive into. Most recently, "The Instigator" by Jonathan Gatehouse.

If there's one theme that follows through from book to book, no matter who the author is... is that there is a respect for how freaking smart Bettman is.

He absolutely, 100%, knows what he's doing. Whether he's acting on his own or speaking on behalf of the board of governors... you can see that he has an end goal in mind.

And that's to grow and advance the National Hockey League. Not the game... but the League. Sometimes he lets the owners call the shots, but he's definitely not a pawn.

It's definitely a case of a man who receives neither enough credit nor criticism.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Nick0930

Well, I guess you could say Eklund was right about Brodeur not playing for the Devils this year.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:47 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod
All this talk about potential of cancelling the NHL All-Star Game... Keep in mind, there's Sochi next year, which means no 2014 ASG either.

**** I completely forgot

Old
10-22-2012, 12:53 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Who cares the ASG sucks anyway

Old
10-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
Who cares the ASG sucks anyway
I'm pretty sure the league and its sponsors care.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:58 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Eklund put me on the front page of his website once. He wrote an article about Doc when he left the Devils and used a picture I have where I met Doc after a game at the train station. I had no idea until a friend of mine called me and told me while laughing hysterically.

Only two places where he could have got that picture... my facebook, or more than likely, HFBoards. Pretty much proof that he reads this site.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/member.php?u=25470

Eklund used to post here. Hasn't in a while though.

Bill Meltzer posts on the Flyers board occasionally. I got into a PM/Email exchange once when I let him know that for some reason the biography he helped translate to English on Pelle Lindbergh wasn't showing up on Borders site (and isn't anymore, nor is any book). He offered me a free copy of it for contacting the publisher to let them know it wasn't on the site, but the publisher never got back to me. I went out and bought it anyway, figure any money in his pocket is a thank you for his hard work (even though most of my money probably went to the inept publisher)...he's one of the few good Flyers writers, maybe the only good one. Seemed like a nice guy from my experience with him.

I believe Bob McKenzie went on the main boards like a year or two ago and completely owned some stupid people. Can't remember what the thread was but I remember it being hilarious.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:00 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
I'm pretty sure the league and its sponsors care.
Well at least the sponsors that decide to stick around after this lockout finally ends.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Wasn't Bob Mckenzie recently saying we had a 15 percent chance of a season? That was before the proposals last week. Most journalists are more optimistic than that. If not just to a certain degree.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:25 PM
njdevil26

Via TG: "Volchenkov fractured his ankle while playing for Torpedo in KHL and will miss four to six week."

Lockout keeps getting better and better.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:55 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Via TG: "Volchenkov fractured his ankle while playing for Torpedo in KHL and will miss four to six week."

Lockout keeps getting better and better.
Voracek got injured playing for Lev a few weeks ago, nearly same situation in that if the lockout ended today he'd come back to the NHL injured.

Closed Thread