HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

News from Around the League - Part XXXIII - The "No, you go first" edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2012, 10:39 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
I don't like the move because I know it hurts their long time loyal fans in Long Island.

They don't have many fans left in NJ (I never see anyone in NYI gear nor anything on cars with NJ plates), if anything they are older, but they have a good base in Long Island and Queens for the most part-and maybe now they will get a foothold into Brooklyn.

Sad day for fans in Long Island, losing their team to NYC.
Isn't it partly their fault for not voting for a new arena because they didn't want their taxes to go up?

Old
10-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
I don't like the move because I know it hurts their long time loyal fans in Long Island.

They don't have many fans left in NJ (I never see anyone in NYI gear nor anything on cars with NJ plates), if anything they are older, but they have a good base in Long Island and Queens for the most part-and maybe now they will get a foothold into Brooklyn.

Sad day for fans in Long Island, losing their team to NYC.
Absolutely, that's why I added "On a selfish note".. I would be devastated if the Devils left so I relate on that front

I just feel like the NJ/NY area can't really support 3 teams and I see us moving to 2 in a few decades, so to me it's a war of attrition between the Devils and Islanders.. I'm talking like 2030 of course so no reason to really freak out but I don't want our team to ever move.. But the Islanders being in the city could help them in the long run if it comes to attrition

Anyway, I am curious how this will effect them.. How easy will it be to get from Nassau to Brooklyn on a weeknight? I can't see them getting a ton of fans in the area since they are moving into stronger Rangers territory.. Maybe they become the Brooklyn Islanders, but does that alienate the current fans? It's all very interesting to see how this plays out

Old
10-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
They could keep their name, jersey and logo if they want, Brooklyn is part of Long Island, at least geographically.
Yeah, I checked the map of NYC again and figured. Could, but will they? I don`t know, just hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
Anyway, I am curious how this will effect them.. How easy will it be to get from Nassau to Brooklyn on a weeknight? I can't see them getting a ton of fans in the area since they are moving into stronger Rangers territory.. Maybe they become the Brooklyn Islanders, but does that alienate the current fans? It's all very interesting to see how this plays out
Messier is helping build a couple of rinks in the area, that should help them too.

From what I`ve seen on pictures, it`s a great venue. It will definitely help them in the long run, immensely.

Last edited by Getzo5: 10-24-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old
10-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
On a selfish note I wanted the Isles to move so we could suck up some of their fan base.. They still have a decent amount in NJ and I'd hoped the ones on LI would at least choose us over the Rangers

Alright, so how do we train from Newark to Brookyn?
They would have had to move outside of the NYC metro area for that to happen. The move to Brooklyn probably won't affect their fanbase all that much, other than picking up some new fans in Brooklyn.

It does make a longer trip to games for the fans on the Island though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
John Davidson to CBJ.

First good thing since drafting Nash?
Pretty much. Although I'm not sure if even he can clean up that mess.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
They would have had to move outside of the NYC metro area for that to happen. The move to Brooklyn probably won't affect their fanbase all that much, other than picking up some new fans in Brooklyn.

It does make a longer trip to games for the fans on the Island though.

Pretty much. Although I'm not sure if even he can clean up that mess.
My bad. I meant moving out of the area. I wasn't in support of that, but I did like the idea of it helping the Devils even a little. Our area will always have at least 2 teams but 3 is no guarantee

Old
10-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAnimal View Post
Thanks for the Towelqvist, but anybody got the MAF pissed off one walking to the back on St Patty Day 2010 after we chased him in the first retro jersey game ever?

A lot of Isles fans do choose the Devils over the Rangers. Even their fans were coming over here during the ECF saying they were pulling for us. I know an older fan who lives about an hour down the road. He's friends of my buddies, and when the Devils come to Tampa he comes with us. He was an Isles fan, and still loves the Isles, but hates Wang, and Snow, and is pissed off. He's pretty much a Devils fan now, and hates the Rangers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post

For the US, I expect Miller to make the team, even if it is as Quick's backup. Thomas is too old obviously.
I hope he sees no ice time. Quick is clearly superior at this time. I have no complaints about how he played last Olympics for us. However he's sucked it up for two half seasons in a row up in Buffalo. Don't trust him anymore, and Quick is the better option as long as he's available.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

The Isles board is collectively jumping for joy.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
Can`t blame them, really. After all they`ve been through.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

It`s a tarp!

Old
10-24-2012, 12:29 PM
VaxjoDevil

I would assume this would, long term, threaten the NYR fanbase a bit. Can't believe Rangers mgmt are too happy with this move.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

They got the prices up already for the seats? That's 3 years from now.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:31 PM
CerebralGenesis

lol a quarter of the arena has limited view.

Old
10-24-2012, 01:09 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
lol a quarter of the arena has limited view.
From what I remember from Nassau that's an improvement compared to Nassau.

Old
10-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

Nassau has incredible sightlines.

Old
10-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

Anyone else confused by the seating charts at Barclays? Couldn't they just center the rink similar to how the basketball layout is?

http://www.barclayscenter.com/events...seating-charts

Then again, I'm just some dude sitting behind a computer screen.

Last edited by Baggy Spandex: 10-24-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old
10-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Spandex View Post
Nassau has incredible sightlines.
Yes, except the many obstructed view seats in the upper reaches behind where NYI attacks twice and along the front rows behind the nets and behind the benches.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:13 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Old
10-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

Quote:
Wait until the ones from Suffolk and Nassau take in a game and realize the commute is not as easy as hopping in the car and driving to the Colisium.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Wait until the ones from Suffolk and Nassau take in a game and realize the commute is not as easy as hopping in the car and driving to the Colisium.
They'll take the added difficulty and increased ticket prices in exchange for not having the team move out of the area, I think.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:18 PM
apice3*

Nassau's sitelines down low are great. Up top blows.

Barclays was designed for basketball, not hockey, though. Not a very good arena for it. Also, I heard it'll only seat 14k. Kind of small, isn't it?

It's a great move though. They get a state of the art arena, and it improves the rivalry between them and the Rangers/Devils if they can ever get good again.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:23 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

At least the visiting teams backup goalie doesn't have to basically sit in the crowd anymore!

I did not notice this for years. Even seeing games there I never noticed. Then one game Marty was the backup, and not playing I saw him in the corner. By the tunnel where the visiting team comes out. I thought it was some weirdo dressed in full gear like Marty. Then I realized it was Marty haha! There's no room on the visitors bench for the backup goaltender. Not to mention I don't think the bench can fit all the trainers, and equipment guys either. They have to stand by the backup back there too.

There might be a couple other arenas where the visiting backup has to basically sit in the crowd too.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post

Barclays was designed for basketball, not hockey, though. Not a very good arena for it. Also, I heard it'll only seat 14k. Kind of small, isn't it?
Please trust that this isn't any kind of attendance jab, but when you've been averaging 12-13,000 for the past 9 years I can't see it being a problem. It will be nice to see an Islanders barn at near-capacity.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Ya, I believe it. Probably the same reaction our fanbase had when the Devils didn't move to Nashville.

Brooklyn might be an inconvenient spot for them to go to games, but it's a hell of a lot more convenient than Kansas City.

I'm happy for them too. We need our ally in the fight against the Evil Empire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
I would assume this would, long term, threaten the NYR fanbase a bit. Can't believe Rangers mgmt are too happy with this move.
Not much they can do about it, I think. Teams can block expansion teams from moving into their market without permission (for example, a team in Hamilton would have to pay massive fees to Toronto), but since the Islanders were already in the NYC market and just moved closer to the population centre, I believe the Rangers can't block it.

Old
10-24-2012, 03:02 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Please trust that this isn't any kind of attendance jab, but when you've been averaging 12-13,000 for the past 9 years I can't see it being a problem. It will be nice to see an Islanders barn at near-capacity.
That's well and good for now, but what happens when the team is actually good?

Old
10-24-2012, 03:02 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
I thought I heard somewhere that the minimum capacity for an NHL arena had to be 15,000. I thought I remember that when Winnipeg was planning to move and they had to add seats. Maybe I'm wrong though or maybe they're giving the Islanders a pass?

Closed Thread