HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moving Kesler To The Wing

Old
03-31-2013, 02:07 AM
Big Naissak
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Big Naissak
Moving Kesler To The Wing

Well if we do trade Luongo for a 2nd line capable center could we attempt to try Kes on the wing? We have to think about his long term health & he wouldn't have to be as physically & defensively responsible on the wing allowing him to focus a bit more on offense(which we obviously lack lately).

If we do get a center and Kes comes back and doesn't want to switch then Schroeder is basically done here. If we move Kes to the wing we would be able to keep a third line of Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen for much more balanced scoring.

I know Kes has played center his whole career and it most likely won't happen but I'm only contemplating this if we do get a good quality center who would actually be able to use Kes.

We could trade one of Edler & Luongo or package them for a good quality center + a decent dman or bring up one of Connauton/Corrado/Sauve.

Edit: Yep.

Last edited by Big Naissak: 04-14-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Big Naissak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:11 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Naissak View Post
Well if we do trade Luongo for a 2nd line capable center could we attempt to try Kes on the wing? We have to think about his long term health & he wouldn't have to be as physically & defensively responsible on the wing allowing him to focus a bit more on offense(which we obviously lack lately).

If we do get a center and Kes comes back and doesn't want to switch then Schroeder is basically done here. If we move Kes to the wing we would be able to keep a third line of Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen for much more balanced scoring.

Now I'm only contemplating this if we do get a good quality center who would actually be able to use Kes.
Who would be the checking line?

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:12 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Yeah, I don't too much of fixing one hole by creating another.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:13 AM
Lawzy

Kesler could arguably bump a handful of first line centers, let alone 2nd. There isn't a 2nd line center we could get via trade that I'd rather at center than Kesler.

Furthermore why would we bump Kesler, who sports a 53.8% FO and is our best defensive forward, over someone like Schroeder, who sports a 43.7% FO and inferior defensive ability?

Schroeder would get bumped, either to the wing or to the minors.

Lawzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:14 AM
JetsAlternate

Kesler has played the wing before. In fact, that is when he began to elevate his offensive game, coinciding with his ascension into the top six. If we could find an adequate center, I don't see why it we couldn't give it another try. The RPM line looked very good towards the end of the 2008-09 season with Kesler playing wing.

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:14 AM
Moore Money

Quote:
gotta have that checking line. check em down slow em down shuter down. oh wait we cant score.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:15 AM
canuck4life16
Shinkaruk+Henrik=!!!

vCash: 50
Kesler could still take draw even though he on the wing.....I wish they had try Schroeder and Kesler when they had the chance.......maybe PP if no 5 on 5

canuck4life16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:16 AM
Big Naissak
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawzy View Post
Kesler could arguably bump a handful of first line centers, let alone 2nd. There isn't a 2nd line center we could get via trade that I'd rather at center than Kesler.

Furthermore why would we bump Kesler, who sports a 53.8% FO and is our best defensive forward, over someone like Schroeder, who sports a 43.7% FO and inferior defensive ability?

Schroeder would get bumped, either to the wing or to the minors.
I value a healthy Kesler on the wing more then an injured kesler.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:16 AM
CanucksSayEh

Play winger, while still taking face offs. They wouldn't do it back when we had another talented center, aren't gonna do it now. Some creativity would be nice, team is dull.

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:17 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
Kesler has played the wing before. In fact, that is when he began to elevate his offensive game. If we could find an adequate center, I don't see why it we couldn't give it another try.
Well I don't think a Sundin situation will happen again anytime soon I'm afraid. Limited cap space now (even if Ballard & Luongo are dealt) makes it so.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:21 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:

I know Kes has played center his whole career and it most likely won't happen but I'm only contemplating this if we do get a good quality center who would actually be able to use Kes.
Mike Gillis will not allow that because it makes the Hodgson trade look even worse then it does now.

MG's big excuse was that Kesler had the second center spot nailed down

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:25 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
gotta have that checking line. check em down slow em down shuter down. oh wait we cant score.
Right, so let's address scoring without having to eliminate the one player on our roster at centre that has actually shown the ability to play defense well.

Just go get Derek Roy for Jordan Schroeder...alternatively get Ribeiro, he's available and considering contract offers below $5M. Both players are comparable to Kesler offensively.

I can't think of one player available who can do what Kesler does defensively who is available.

I strongly believe that adding two 60-80 point centres (Kesler + Roy/Ribeiro) to our current roster will go a long way in fixing our scoring issues.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:27 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Well I don't think a Sundin situation will happen again anytime soon I'm afraid. Limited cap space now (even if Ballard & Luongo are dealt) makes it so.
Sundin was a step slower than he had been in the past, though he certainly still possessed his prior skill to some extent. I don't think it's much of a stretch to acquire a player who could compete at a similar level or even greater than what we saw with Sundin in 2008-09, especially if the team is serious about acquiring a second-line centerman. Booth, Ballard, and Luongo are all certainly candidates to be moved at some point this year. If this is how the team plans to remedy its second-line scoring, cap space would need to be made available.

I think the second line still needs an impact winger. Unfortunately, Booth has been a disappointment; if Kesler becomes that winger for us, we'll need to bring in a centerman. This would, in my opinion, have to be a significant move for the team going forward rather than a short-term solution. It's something to consider. Whether the team can find a centerman of that caliber is a different story, but that would be a sufficient way to move Kesler to the wing and create a different-looking second line or to manufacture a 1b line (with the Sedin line as the team's 1a).

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:29 AM
Big Naissak
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Right, so let's address scoring without having to eliminate the one player on our roster at centre that has actually shown the ability to play defense well.

Just go get Derek Roy for Jordan Schroeder...alternatively get Ribeiro, he's available and considering contract offers below $5M. Both players are comparable to Kesler offensively.

I can't think of one player available who can do what Kesler does defensively who is available.

I strongly believe that adding two 60-80 point centres (Kesler + Roy/Ribeiro) to our current roster will go a long way in fixing our scoring issues.
Missing the point. There isn't a center who can do what a HEALTHY Kesler does, when he plays as reckless and all out as he does at center hes amazing but at the same time you can't keep that up and expect to stay healthy. Especially through a playoff.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:43 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Missing the point. There isn't a center who can do what a HEALTHY Kesler does, when he plays as reckless and all out as he does at center hes amazing but at the same time you can't keep that up and expect to stay healthy. Especially through a playoff.
If Kesler isn't playing reckless he isn't helping the team. He's a 110% type player and as soon as he isn't, he's a plug. He doesn't have the vision/skill to play a slower controlled game and is just as likely to get injured on the wing IMO. The guy hurt his shoulder hitting Kopitar a few years ago, the next year he wreck his hip chasing down a puck. This year he hurt himself blocking a shot.

He's do all those things (possibly even more often) playing on the wing.

My suggestion has always been to get a 2nd Kesler so that the impact of losing him is reduced if he gets hurt. Guys like Roy/Rebiero/Legwand can all provide cover for Kesler to a certain extent with Roy probably being the most likely since he often plays tough minutes 5 on 5 while providing similar offensive punch but in a different way.

It takes some luck to make it through the playoffs (both puck luck and injury luck) but you need all your guys going full-bore from the start or you don't make it.

Last edited by DJOpus: 03-31-2013 at 02:48 AM.
Old
03-31-2013, 02:55 AM
Lawzy

Quote:
Physicality is part of his game. I don't necessarily believe he needs to change that because of some injury scares.

I do get your point though, injured Kesler is worst Kesler.

Lawzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 03:05 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
Kesler has played the wing before. In fact, that is when he began to elevate his offensive game, coinciding with his ascension into the top six. If we could find an adequate center, I don't see why it we couldn't give it another try. The RPM line looked very good towards the end of the 2008-09 season with Kesler playing wing.

Iirc, Kesler did a lot of the heavy lifting on that line, and most if the time Sundin was basically the centre in name only, because he was so heinously slow.

Anyway, Kesler at wing is going to take just as much of a beating. He'll be forechecking hard, working on the walls a lot, driving the net hard, and certainly playing his normal roles on the PK and in front of the net on the PP. I don't see this as much of a gain, if your concern is durability.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 03:11 AM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

Break the bank for Pavelski in a trade i.e 2 1sts and a 2nd and a prospect and move Kesler to the wing

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Pavelski-Kesler
Raymond-Schroder/3C via trade-Hansen
Higgins-Lapierre-Weise

Seatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 03:13 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!

vCash: 814
If Kesler agreed to moving to the wing, Hodgson would still be here.

Kesler wants to play Center, and he will as long as he wants to.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 03:17 AM
Big Naissak
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawzy View Post
Physicality is part of his game. I don't necessarily believe he needs to change that because of some injury scares.

I do get your point though, injured Kesler is worst Kesler.
Quote:
Anyway, Kesler at wing is going to take just as much of a beating. He'll be forechecking hard, working on the walls a lot, driving the net hard, and certainly playing his normal roles on the PK and in front of the net on the PP. I don't see this as much of a gain, if your concern is durability.
Quote:
If Kesler isn't playing reckless he isn't helping the team. He's a 110% type player and as soon as he isn't, he's a plug. He doesn't have the vision/skill to play a slower controlled game and is just as likely to get injured on the wing IMO. The guy hurt his shoulder hitting Kopitar a few years ago, the next year he wreck his hip chasing down a puck. This year he hurt himself blocking a shot.

He's do all those things (possibly even more often) playing on the wing.
Okay that's fine but I disagree, Moving Kesler to the wing isn't just about keeping him from being injured, It's about if Kesler does get injured again on the wing we would still have a capable center on the second line instead of having to patch it up with an inexperienced Schroeder or Ebbett. This also allows for the hot line of Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen to stay together at all times.

Old
03-31-2013, 03:21 AM
RobertKron

So why not just acquire that extra C and play them on the wing? It's unlikely the team is going to manage to pick up a centre that's actually better at centre than Kesler without opening up a crippling hole elsewhere in the lineup, or, I guess, trading Kesler.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 03:24 AM
Moore Money

Quote:
Okay that's fine but I disagree, Moving Kesler to the wing isn't just about keeping him from being injured, It's about if Kesler does get injured again on the wing we would still have a capable center on the second line instead of having to patch it up with an inexperienced Schroeder or Ebbett. This also allows for the hot line of Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen to stay together at all times.
yup it makes perfect sense, which is why I dont expect it to happen.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 03:41 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
So why not just get another centre and keep Kesler at centre?

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Kesler - Higgins
Booth - Roy/Ribeiro/Legwand/Fisher/anyone - Hansen
Raymond - Lapierre - Wiese

The problem we have is Schroeder isn't ready and I'm not sure he ever will be. His stock is way higher now IMO than it should be based on a few good games. Catch lightning in a bottle and move him for a rental.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:31 AM
Love

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Pinner-Lappierre-Weise

Honestly that lineup looks X1000 better just by getting Kesler and Kassian back.

Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:39 AM
SnapIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
If Kesler agreed to moving to the wing, Hodgson would still be here.

Kesler wants to play Center, and he will as long as he wants to.
AV doesn't sound like a guy who talks to his players much. Kesler was kept at Center likely because AV wanted to keep it that way.

SnapIt is offline   Reply With Quote