This happened to me too. I was getting all pumped for free agency in my BAGM with Pittsburgh to make a run at someone like Corey Perry, Jarome Iginla, Brendan Morrow or Alex Edler and when free agency rolled around, the best forward I think was Ryane Clowe and best defensemen was Ron Hainsey. I think Jimmy Howard was available too. Funny you mention Tim Connolly because I had him and let him go to free agency along with Pascal Dupuis (for the reasons you mention above) and Connolly ended up being one of the best free agents available. I ended up signing Dustin Penner to a one year deal as a stop-gate with hopes that guys like Thomas Vanek, Marian Gaborik, Ales Hemsky or Jay Bouwmeester will become available next offseason. I'm only in year 2 and they all are scheduled to be UFAs at seasons end. But judging by my latest experience and yours, this is unlikely to happen.
I believe year 2 free agency is the best one - for whatever reason in all the GM modes I've done, that year seems to be the best one for free agents.
In mine, both Sedins were available, and there was some other high end talent available too at that time. Lots of players in the high to mid 80s. So if you are looking to make a free agent splash, that would be the year to do it. Year 2 free agency. Or I guess free agency in the year 2013.
Beyond that though, I largely find it to be hit and miss. There might be one great player that makes it, but generally it's all low 80s players.
Basically - relying on free agency to find a core piece of your team is a useless strategy in Be a GM outside of year 2. It's so hit-and-miss that you are better off just avoiding it and relying on free agency to find those stop-gap / depth players.
That's unfortunate and something that I would love to see changed. I'm not sure if it's as basic as letting more high end players reach free agency, or if it's purely just letting the user know how likely a certain player is to reaching free agency (maybe it can be apart of your pro scout - an upgrade, that gets more accurate the more you spend on it).
I don't know - I'd just like to see it tweaked. Very annoying when you rely on free agency and have to end up picking up Jordan fricking Leopold or Brendan Morrison..
Yes. I understand EA can't get all the licence and rights for all the brands on jerseys. But look at FIFA, there's around 14 leagues available, every team having their own jersey, with brands everything. FIFA have PSE, NHL used to have 2K... EA have no concurrent, they know each year people will buy their ****...
Be a GM Offline/Online
-Improved Scouting System
-Player Happiness levels (NBA 2k Games have it, Player doesnt play the role they want they get mad etc and their overall drops)
-Waivers need fixing (Seen Crosby hit waivers before)
-Ability to change player Positions (Change Patrick Kane to Winger since his Face Offs suck)
-Show Line chemistry
-Settle down the injuries when simming
-Deeper drafts (after the top15ish players become 3stars)
-Faster loading menus
-Better resigning phase (have players respond after first sim, not second)
-Players progress BEFORE draft
Be a Pro (this gamemode just needs a complete restart, sucks compared to every other be a pro game type)
-World Juniors (Would be awesome feature)
-More shots against when using BAP Goalie
-Post game Interviews?
-Improved system before draft (Interviews by GMS before draft etc...)
-GM Sit Downs (Able to talk about how you like the team,demand trades, talk about coach, other players, contract extensions, more ice time etc...)
-Key Games Feature (Allows you to sim to key games making season faster to go through)
-Allow Simming!!!!! (Annoying how you get put down lines if you sim)
Hockey Ultimate Team
-Player Market Value (List of the players and their average price on the market)
-Get rid of training cards
-Improved Packs (When buying packs with Pucks you always get crap, when buying with Microsoft points your odds are better but still crap)
-Ability to restart a players stats when they join your team (Bought cards of market)
-More Logo Options
-Create your own Logo
-Restrictions of players need to be fixed (I like it but theirs a few i disagree with Ex. RW Snipers Speed maxes out at 82...)
All i can think of off the top of my head. Will improve later as i think of more.
fix the damn roster management. They've been using the same basic menu setup for like 6-8 years now, just tacking on new features as extra menus when they come out. Give me one access point from which I can conduct trades/FA signings, edit players, edit contract info/rights, assign to the AHL/call up from the NHL/whatever. I'm talking about doing this in the game's basic roster management, not from within a GM mode or the like.
Also clean up the rosters. There are tons of guys on the FA list by default that haven't sniffed leagues that are relevant to the game in multiple years. Chris Beckford-Tseu hasn't played meaningful hockey in 2 years. But he's on the list and rated high enough to be a viable AHL goalie. Evgeny Artyukhin is on the list even though he went back to the KHL 3 years ago and probably will never return. And he's rated highly enough to crack some NHL teams' rosters. I get that some people might want to see these guys on their teams again or in GM connected or whatever, but for the 99.9% of us who aren't Artyukhin fans, having him pop up and displace a legitimate piece of an NHL/AHL roster is kind of annoying. All they need to do is make a second FA list. Have one "NHL Free Agent" list and one "world FA list". Only the NHL FAs show up if you're playing one of the GM modes, and both FA lists are there if you play season as a EUropean team or whatever else.
And someone needs to do proper QC on the non-NHL rosters. Maybe they can't keep them as spotlessly up-to-date as the NHL, but they should reflect a good portion of player movement at least at the AHL and CHL levels. The poster child screw-up for this is former DEL goalie Robert Mueller. He appeared on the roster of the Cologne Sharks up until last year's version of the game. NHL 13 is the first time since the DEL started appearing in the game that Mueller wasn't on a German team roster.
Problem was that he stopped playing in 2008 and died in 2009. And nobody caught this for 4 more iterations of the game (NHLs 09 through 12).
It shouldn't be that hard to have 2 or 3 people whose primary job is just to keep the roster up to date and accurate. I finally see that they've applied some updates to the CHL rosters, adding 2013 draftees and the like (And fixing stuff like players who are on pro teams still being in the CHL), but the European leagues are still largely out of whack and could use a lot of cleaning up and the FA list is insane.
__________________ "Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent." '13 Shark CI Tracker: 48 gms, 19-23-6 (SJ-Opponent-National/Market feed)19 SJ feeds in HD Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
restore the ability to edit certain things about existing players. Contract data is locked in the edit player screen. So if I move Scott Gomez to the Sharks, he's still stuck with the $7 million cap hit. Which means if I were to start a GM mode with the Sharks now, the roster would require significant overhaul to be cap compliant. Or if I left Gomez on teh FA list and tried to sign him in GM mode, he wouldn't take the 700k deal that he apparently is going to sign.
EA's salary numbers aren't always accurate anyway. Teams that should be cap compliant heading into a GM mode aren't. And that means that good players get released to FA because rather than work out demotion/promotions that get back the few hundred grand that the cap is exceeded by, the game just cuts players based on...some criteria.
C'mon EA. Give us back the ability to edit player heights, weights, contracts, fight frequency, etc. It's like the only reason they did this is because massive roster correction projects are a huge deal in other sports games, and this way it basically forces people to rely on EA-sanctioned updates to fix roster issues that crop up.
fix the damn 50 contract limit for the 1st year! there's relatively no trades going down in the first deadline because every godamn team has 50 contracts.
Players like St.Louis, Alfredsson, Iginla, etc shouldn't get traded in the 1st day of the regular season, especially since they are beloved by the organization!
Ea went from having too many good players in later drafts to having almost zero "Datsyuks" in later rounds...
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, I AM NOT INTERESTED IN TRADING AWAY MY 3RD ROUND PICK FOR YOUR LATE 4TH AND 5TH ROUND PICKS!
every other game someone goes out with an injury ranging from 3 weeks to 3 months. What happens within the first 2 games said player(s) comes back? ANOTHER FRIGGEN INJURY! I end up having 2-3 players playing 82 games while everyone else has 50-65 games played. Yes, i wanted more injuries in this game, BUT NOT THIS MUCH!
Show more than the 4 prior season a player has played. Show more stats (hits, PPA, Hits), the team he's played on.
When signing a free agent, have the player give certain stuff that he is interested in (money, winning, city, playing time, certain role). Then you choose the perks that your team/city has to offer (maybe 3 slots?)
Have a player heal quicker or have a setback.
I'd say have the player request a trade but i'm sure Ea will find a way to mess that up....so please don't include that.
The lack if interference calls are just a joke I mean guys getting leveled totally away from the puck left and right with no call
Also the AI in the offensive zone needs some serious work ... I mean the computer player really do absolutely nothing to get open/good looks and nobody moves or reacts to the defense...kinda limits you to freewheeling until you get a shot
I'd like to be able to hack at rebounds as well instead of it checking a guy, poke check is how I score most rebound goals
And the goalies need more work, they save what they shouldn't and don't save what they should, they get over a bit unreastically fast on most one timers
- Make the defensive breakout AI smarter. It's almost a guaranteed breakaway if you take a fairly speedy player, take the puck on a wide loop from inside the offensive zone, out to the red line, then skate straight at the net. The opposing defense will keep skating to try and trap it in the neutral zone, while you're flying past them untouched. Extremely annoying in PvP when someone knows how to exploit it.
- Make the goalies more consistent. I can score on an unscreened wristshot from the blueline from Mark Stuart, but if I have a 2-on-0 with Gaborik and Nash and send it across the crease for the tap-in, the goalie will make a miraculous diving save and manage to not give up a rebound.
- Make players able to manually tip the puck. I can probably count the times I've managed to score a good deflection goal (ie. not just banking it in off a thigh) on one hand. Deflections account for at least 5% of goals in the NHL, and this should be reflected in the game
Be A GM:
- Fix the damn trade block system. I decided to rebuild Detroit, and the best return I could get for Pavel Datsyuk (in the offseason after a Hart, Art Ross and Selke season) was Radek Faksa and a 6th round pick because despite him having immense trade value, he was too old. Alternatively, Jakub Kindl had equal trade value to Cam Ward, and more trade value than Dustin Brown (neither of whom I could trade Kindl for, despite him meeting the trade block requirements of both teams)
- Fix the roster editing system. If I trade a player from my NHL team and have to call up an AHL player, often the game says I am unable to switch from viewing the lines because my AHL team does not have players on all its line, forcing me to select "Best Lines" and re-edit them all. Since the computer often fills the AHL team with free-agent scrubs and I want my high-potential prospects playing, this is annoying and very time consuming.
- Make player ratings affect their actual play in simulation. I don't want to trade all my valuable assets for Carey Price or Pekka Rinne only to have them post sub-.900 SVP and over 3.00 GAA. Likewise, if my offense is rated 5 stars and has several 85+ players, I should have more than one player score 50 points.
- Allow me to edit lines in the summer free-agency period. It's handy for letting me know what players I need to target and which players I can let go.
- Have teams rebuild more often. As an offshoot of this, have fewer free-agents re-sign with their team. It's almost impossible to add impactful NHL talent without either trading for them as a rental at the trade deadline or raising them up within the organization as a prospect.
Be a GM
- improved All Star weekend including skills comp and fantasy draft
- allow us to see trading blocks during the trade deadline
- hire/fire coaches
- track prospect stats in the CHL
- customizable goalie masks
- more jersey selection
- better logo selection (most of the non-NHL ones are stupid)
- be able to use different gloves, helmets, goalie equipment when choosing colours
In Game Play
- make the stick check less effective!!!!!
- better hit and fight engines
- in online mode making passes is near impossible
Also make and agreement with IIHF and get the Juniors, Olympics, World Championships, and the KHL
Bring back players faces you took off (Vanek, Tanguay...)
Put some new ones (FIFA may have 70 % of real faces)
European leagues real jersey (and not the one who look like 80's CCM)
KHL (would be awesome but it will never happens)
Put back the real arena pictures while the screen is loading before starting a game (just like NHL98 i think)
UP TO DATE ROSTERS PLEASE
Arena licences (Isles, Canes, Blues, Sharks...)
More up to date equipement (new ccm stick, new bauer helmet)
Real goalie's mask
I personally hated the NHL 13 gameplay. Feels like its not even hockey and each player has weighted vests on. I truly believe the guys who develop it have never played before nor watch much.
Anyway besides gameplay,
Hockey should be more like FIFA
1) Online season. You move up and down division, every other week is a tournament for a EA trophy. Your personal record is whats kept, you can change teams every game
2) roster updates and changes- If your FT% is bad one game in NBA, it gets affected slightly in the game. In FIFA 2012 if Xavi was sick in spain that whole week and missed a game, his ratings would go down. Instead we have horrible starting online rosters and terrible updates. NHL 13 has done better in updates but dont agree much with stats. Hockeys roster can be changed every week. Kreider is in the whale one game, the Rangers the next and whale again. Teams should be allowed to alter its roster with AHL guys includd
The thing i want to see most this year is player likeness. For example Ovechkin skating style, Kessel shot style, Ryan Miller goalie style or Kronwall hitting style. Not only would it bring a more realistic feel but combinations could be applied to your be a pro. And !!PLEASE NO SHOVEL SHOTS!!
24 year old AHLers shouldn't be demanding 4.6 million dollars. Now I can hear some people yammering about how you could lowball young guys with great potential and lock them up cheap for 6/8 years. Well, no. If EA was smart (which they're not), they'd make it so guys in such situations wouldn't accept long-term contracts. Have it so guys like these would only sign for 2 years - 3 tops- so they can actually earn the 4+M they're asking for in a couple seasons.
Also, with trade value and production being almost entirely separate, buying low, selling high, cap dumps, and other such crap doesn't exist in the EA universe. Despite the fact Phil Kessel can barely ever manage above 60 points, he remains one of the more valuable forwards in the NHL. Which is obviously stupid. Despite the fact that a rookie I drafted in the 3rd round still on his ELC is a top 5 goalie in the league, he's barely valuable enough to return a 2nd round pick. Which is obviously stupid.
When looking at a player's stats show his career stats. Not just the last 5 years or so. Same with trophies and awards screen. So ridiculous to play a 20 year dynasty then you think ''hmm who won cup in 2018''. Oh well can't see its over 5 years ago
BE A PRO
-able to play in world juniors. so you can raise your draft stock. also able to play in world tournament if you miss playoffs, and also have olympics every 4 years. I know ea would have to aquire a license from iihf, instead just name it different like ea sports junior tournament. stuff like that.
-Have short training camps before the preseason with your nhl team so they can determine what line are you capable of playing on instead of starting out on third line. Pre season can determine this too.
-Able to train and scrimmage to earn points for editing your attributes.
-able to train(workout) in off season too add a few pounds of muscle and build strength.
-Everything in all star weekend
Rebound control needs to be fixed badly. Limp wristed backhands can create 5 foot rebounds but slap shots will just be absorbed.
Game speed increase online would be appreciated since people can still act like ballerinas in the offensive zone which hitting is also attributed to. Sometimes players can tip toe their way to the net while absorbing 2 or 3 body checks.