HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joe Colborne almost lost a finger last season

Old
10-06-2012, 11:55 AM
CellarDweller0

vCash: 500
Joe Colborne almost lost a finger last season

Didn't see this posted yet.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/spo...riddled-season

Quote:
TORONTO — After it happened — after Joe Colborne was slashed so hard on the hand during a playoff game that he almost lost a finger — he went back to the bench to inspect the damage. His glove was filled with blood. As he removed it, he saw that his ring finger was hanging on by a piece of skin.

“I remember I kind of made eye contact with the lady in the first row and it took a second for her to compute what she was seeing,” Colborne said. “She just turned away horrified. I felt really bad for her.”

It probably should have been the other way around. But the Toronto Marlies forward is not one for sympathy. Sew it up, freeze it and get him back out there. That is how Colborne handled his lacerated finger and the other injuries that he kept quiet about during what he calls his season from hell.

“It was the worst,” he said. “But it

Last edited by Leaf Rocket: 10-06-2012 at 02:24 PM.
CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Stephen

I'm glad there's a good explanation for why he went into the tank and the courage he showed is impressive, if not kind of foolish for not shutting it down. In the back of my mind I keep wondering if we should have gotten Blake Wheeler in that Kaberle deal instead? Wheeler is only 4 years older, put together a 64 point year last year and was a player this fanbase vehemently did not want.

Not that I'm unhappy with Colborne, since he's a center and fits in with the age group of the rebuild better, just wondering if things could have been done differently.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Brody
$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I'm glad there's a good explanation for why he went into the tank and the courage he showed is impressive, if not kind of foolish for not shutting it down. In the back of my mind I keep wondering if we should have gotten Blake Wheeler in that Kaberle deal instead? Wheeler is only 4 years older, put together a 64 point year last year and was a player this fanbase vehemently did not want.

Not that I'm unhappy with Colborne, since he's a center and fits in with the age group of the rebuild better, just wondering if things could have been done differently.
I wanted him so bad, I've been saying it since like 2009 on the Leafs.com boards. He and Kessel had chemistry too from college and the NHL.

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Suntouchable13

That is a gruesome image there in the first couple of lines. Yikes! I bet that lady in the first row that saw that had nightmares that night.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:19 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Wow. People can doubt him but this says everything about this guy.

10-06-2012, 12:21 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Dayum. And I thought people were overstating his injury problems. Hopefully he can pick up where he left off this season.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Kbs

"he saw that his ring finger was hanging on by a piece of skin"

Alright then, kudos to him for just getting it sewn back together and keep on playing. I don't think I'd be able to do the same. I'd just be sitting on the bench staring at my finger and wondering what it'll be like to have one less finger for the rest of my life

Kbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

First, I probably vomit in my glove then clean it up and wonder what the hell is going on?? Thats crazy.

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

poor lady in the first row lol.

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 01:14 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazedRink View Post
poor lady in the first row lol.
Reminds me of that terrible incident with Richard Zednik, I remember hearing about the horror on fans' faces while he was trying to get off the ice.

As for Colborne, I'm glad these injury details are coming out, because I was getting very tired of everyone saying he was a bust based on his second-half play. Most people were aware of why he was struggling, but I doubt anyone had any idea it was quite to this extent (minus that lady in the first row ). I really like this kid, love his work ethic, love his size, he's got great hands, and is capable of doing some serious damage offensively. The fact that he's been using his time with injuries to keep playing and focus on other facets of his game says a lot about his character. Very excited to see him develop and follow him with the Marlies this year.

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 01:16 PM
NiL8r87

It's interesting cause I recall some people ragging on Colborne when we traded for him (Bruins fans maybe?) saying his family was wealthy so he didn't care about hockey as much as the average pro.

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 01:16 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

How can you just sew up a finger hanging on by a peice of skin? Thats some pretty horrific damage... wouldnt that mean the finger was broken in half? Seems unlikely a professional team like the leafs would let him continue playing. Either that or it was just dislocated and the skin was split, that seems more plausible.

Either way, this could be jumbo's make or break year.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 0
Great to see that he started working on other aspects of his game when he realized he wasn't producing anymore. This injury could be one of those ones where it ends up making the player better overall.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 01:19 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiL8r87 View Post
It's interesting cause I recall some people ragging on Colborne when we traded for him (Bruins fans maybe?) saying his family was wealthy so he didn't care about hockey as much as the average pro.
The reality is that he works extra hard because he doesn't want people thinking that kind of stuff about him. He doesn't want things to always come easily, he's a hard worker who wants to carve out a career for himself.

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 02:16 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellarDweller0 View Post
This is the highlight of stupidity. If this was a Stanley Cup game -- maybe -- but even then to let one of your top prospects and a young kid risk further injury might be one of the dumbest things this organization has ever done. We all know they have done a lot of dumb things.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 02:27 PM
TmlHockeyFan

It was dumb of him to keep playing but I have to say. This guy's a man! He has balls for sure.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 02:32 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
As he removed it, he saw that his ring finger was hanging on by a piece of skin.
OK, amateur physicians on the Leafs board. Please understand this above sentence is giving everyone the idea that this slash took out the bone in his finger, which, I can guarantee is inaccurate. It is far more likely thet the skin if the finger was hanging off the bone but if this slash had actually broken the bone clear through, he would have had surgery to fix it and missed 2-3 months for sure.

there is no way his finger was dislocated or broken or he would not have been playing.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 02:35 PM
ponder

Obviously this article is exaggerated. If his finger was legitimately hanging on by a flap of skin, that would mean a complete tear through all the bone and muscle in his finger, no way he just gets stitched up and put back on the ice after that. Going back out with an injury like that would put him at a huge risk of losing his finger, nevermind terrible infections, they just wouldn't do it. I know people who have lost fingers in accidents, it's not a quick fix. I'm sure it was a nasty cut, but the journalist is almost certainly exaggerating here.

With that being said, it was a pretty injury plagued season for Colborne. I've generally been a bit negative about his game, but hopefully I've just gotten a poor impression because I've seen him playing through injuries. If he can stay healthy and tear it up next year, I'd be psyched.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
OK, amateur physicians on the Leafs board. Please understand this above sentence is giving everyone the idea that this slash took out the bone in his finger, which, I can guarantee is inaccurate. It is far more likely thet the skin if the finger was hanging off the bone but if this slash had actually broken the bone clear through, he would have had surgery to fix it and missed 2-3 months for sure.

there is no way his finger was dislocated or broken or he would not have been playing.

Still ouch, though.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 03:02 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Still ouch, though.
Oh yes, it would hurt a lot, but it's not something people should question why he was playing. Much like his wrist.

Old
10-06-2012, 03:03 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
You act as though you know what you're talking about.
Thanks stranger for recognizing.

PS We need to get a beer soon. And my phone charger.

Old
10-06-2012, 03:20 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

Oh god if i saw that I would probably pass out

I just gained a lot of respect for Joe. It may not have been the best decision for the team, but it takes a lot of gut to keep playing. Shows how serious he is about playing and shows he has a lot of heart. Hope he plays really well thi season. He can really shine this year.

LeafsMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Regardless of whether the journalist was exaggerating or not. I think we can gather that Colborne had a pretty bad injury. I agree that he should have had surgery earlier but that is not how a young player trying to make the NHL thinks.

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 06:13 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
Go Leafs Go

Wow after reading that Colborne is very lucky things didn't get any worse.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 06:22 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Wow after reading that Colborne is very lucky things didn't get any worse.
Particularly when we hear stories of bad infections in cuts occuring inside skates and gloves.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote