HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Knee Protection

Old
10-15-2012, 04:58 PM
mistrhanky

vCash: 500
Knee Protection

I am 43+ years old, started skating about 6 months ago, have taken an adult clinic or two, and now have an invite to a D league team. I am going to give it a shot even though I am not good at all, but my real concern is my knees. Throughout my misspent youth I manage to have one full and two partial dislocations and quite frankly, 20 years later I still do not run very well at all, yet for some reason I can skate. (Not well, but enough to play). My concern is, with 60 minutes of live hockey, keeping those knees that are always weighing in the back of my mind in one piece.

It is hockey, I get that. Not a genius to be doing this probably. However, I was interested in seeing if there is anyone out there that might have good recommendations on a knee brace with particular emphasis on patellar protection since though have been my previous injuries. I can't afford to break the bank on a $300 brace. I was hoping to find something that I could feel pretty confident with that did not leave me in the poorhouse. Once a week beer league hockey. I should add that I have started altering my gym program to include more strength work around my legs/knees and adding yoga to help flexibility. Again, any experience/advice would be great. Thanks.

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Stickchecked

I just hurt my MCL playing volleyball. It was minor, so minor I played hockey on it two days later and still didn't feel anything wrong with my knee until the next day. (But I know it came from volleyball, though, because of the appearance of a tiny bruise on the side of my knee before playing hockey.)

My PT told me to get a hinged brace and I settled on this one:

http://www.muellersportsmed.com/Hg80_Knee_Hinged.htm

I got it for ~$45 from Amazon. Inexpensive and it gets great reviews. I haven't received it yet, though, so I can't speak to its effectiveness.

As for strengthening, my PT is going to have me doing balance board work. This is for both my knee and my core instability issues. For the knee:

Quote:
The main aim of using a balance board is to improve proprioception. This is our sense and awareness of the position of our body parts. Having good proprioception helps to reduce the risk of injury.
But I've read lots of people rave about how it can improve one's hockey game, especially if you use it to practice stickhandling. So I'm just going to buy myself one. Seems like a good investment all around.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Running is absolutely horrible for your knees unless you're in great shape and have great technique. Skating is much lower impact and much safer for your joints.

That above brace looks excellent.

For your gym work, I would make sure you have good form, especially on squats. Doing them properly with the right amount of weight (light to start with) will help strengthen the knees but poor form and/or too much weight can wreck them.

Sounds like you're on the right path to me!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:03 AM
mistrhanky

Thanks for the feedack. So much about knees is mental and the prep work and braces help the mental side.

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I can only imagine. That loose feeling in the joints is hell.

I had a few knee surgeries when I was a kid due to some glass that got in the joint and locked it up. It took a couple years to recover from that, not that I would know since I was young. But not knowing if/when the knee would lock up or be loose was horrible.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote