HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Basketball
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Basketball NBA, NCAA, International

2012 NBA Regular Season Thread (10/31-11/25)

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
With Lakers having the Gasol controversy, where could he realistically go?

I'd like the Knicks to have a shot at him, preferably if Stouds goes the other way.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:00 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
With Lakers having the Gasol controversy, where could he realistically go?

I'd like the Knicks to have a shot at him, preferably if Stouds goes the other way.
I dont think anyone is touching Amare's contract. Knicks dont have the pieces to get someone like Gasol.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:02 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

The Knicks are stuck with that Amare contract. I think we'll trade Pau for somebody who can stretch the floor, shoot threes, and not be hurt all the time.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:02 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I dont think anyone is touching Amare's contract. Knicks dont have the pieces to get someone like Gasol.
What do you think is Gasol's value is in a trade?

Old
11-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
The Knicks are stuck with that Amare contract. I think we'll trade Pau for somebody who can stretch the floor, shoot threes, and not be hurt all the time.
Bargnani.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Bargnani.
He and David West would be good fits, but there's no real way to make a West trade work without adding a third team. A Bargnani trade would be similarly difficult as the Raptors would have a hard time adding salary to the deal without putting in another good player.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Bargnani.
Stoudemire for Bargs + Davis.

I remember when there were rumors of Bosh for Stoudemire a couple of years back. Stoudemire had one bad season and he's now valueless? His season in 2011 was elite and he has 3 more yrs left on the contract.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

So the Lakers would go for an even softer player in Bargnani? I'll tell you who is the best fit at PF for the Lakers...it's Ryan Anderson. But the Magic ain't sending another one of their best players to the Lakers for peanuts.

EDIT: Whoops, Anderson is a Hornet now. My bad.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:
Would not do that from Raps pov. Stoudemire's contract is not what we need right now.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
He and David West would be good fits, but there's no real way to make a West trade work without adding a third team. A Bargnani trade would be similarly difficult as the Raptors would have a hard time adding salary to the deal without putting in another good player.
Bargnani plus Calderon for Gasol. Calderon is expiring this year but makes the salaries match I believe.
Quote:

I remember when there were rumors of Bosh for Stoudemire a couple of years back. Stoudemire had one bad season and he's now valueless? His season in 2011 was elite and he has 3 more yrs left on the contract.
Stoudemire just has no value in a deal. 3 more years at 20 million plus, when his knees appear close to done and his athleticism fading. He was good 2 years ago, but all those knee procedures are adding up and what makes things worse is that his contract is uninsured, so it makes him a complete albatross.

Oh and where did you hear Bosh for Amare? Why would Miami trade for an older, worse player that makes more?

Old
11-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
So the Lakers would go for an even softer player in Bargnani? I'll tell you who is the best fit at PF for the Lakers...it's Ryan Anderson. But the Magic ain't sending another one of their best players to the Lakers for peanuts.

EDIT: Whoops, Anderson is a Hornet now. My bad.
It has nothing to do with soft. There is no room in D'Antoni's offense for two players who want to post up all the time.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Bargnani plus Calderon for Gasol. Calderon is expiring this year but makes the salaries match I believe.

Stoudemire just has no value in a deal. 3 more years at 20 million plus, when his knees appear close to done and his athleticism fading. He was good 2 years ago, but all those knee procedures are adding up and what makes things worse is that his contract is uninsured, so it makes him a complete albatross.

Oh and where did you hear Bosh for Amare? Why would Miami trade for an older, worse player that makes more?
The rumor was when Bosh was with the Raptors and Stoudemire was on the Suns. Both had 2 yrs left on their contracts at the time. It could make sense for Colangelo having interest in Stouds since he drafted him and showed interest in him before. One headcase for another.

Old
11-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 93
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
I never understood when fans say "well Team X isnt the best team in the league even though their record says so because blah blah blah blah"

We heard this crap all last year when the Rangers were 1st in the east for the entire second half yet everybody was saying how the Pens and Bruins were "better" because one team was the defending champ and the other was super skilled on paper.

Up until last night, the Knicks were better than the Heat in record and head to head. Nobody has a crystal ball, so the team with the better record/winning pct is the better team.

Power rankings and educated guesses don't amount to a thing when seeds are determined. Miami and the Knicks have identical road records and both are undefeated at home, yet Miami has played one more game at home.

Personally, when it comes to sports, I like to deal in absolutes. I'll go with the standings 10 times out of 10.

The Heat are better than the Knicks, but not by much.
This may be a good argument when you have a good sample size, but not after 5 games when Knicks homers were creaming their pants, and not after 12 games either. Especially if you want to start talking about seeds being determined.

Which was the entire point people are making, it's still November, you don't earn legit status in November when you aren't a returning elite team, you don't earn a good seed in November (even if Tortorella seems to think the Knicks have one locked in already)

Feel free to go with the standings, to you the Knicks were the best team in the NBA, now a few games later they are the 4th or 5th best team in the NBA, and the Bobcats are a better team than the Lakers.

Old
11-24-2012, 03:25 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:

The fact he has 3 more years left on his contract is why nobody will want to take his contract, it isn't appealing like you seem to think it is. Nobody wants to be on the hook for 3 more years for big money when his knees are done, there's no point citing how good he was in 2011, he didn't just have an "off year", his body is falling apart and he can't play defense.

Old
11-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

Pau is going to Houston, no idea what would go the other way, but I'd bet money on it. Daryl Morey loves him. Royce White I'd imagine would be one piece, can't really see him playing for Houston at all really.

Old
11-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Contracts don't match up. The Lakers would have to take on 4 or 5 players to make such a trade work and the roster space isn't there.

Old
11-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
I could see a 3-way:

To Houston: Pau Gasol + Calderon
To Lakers: Andrea Bargnani
To Toronto: Morris + young players/picks

Or something like that. Toronto gets young players and gives themselves the best chance to tank, Houston gets a back up PG and the PF they've wanted for a while, Lakers get a PF that fits their system better than Pau.

11-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I could see a 3-way:

To Houston: Pau Gasol + Calderon
To Lakers: Andrea Bargnani
To Toronto: Morris + young players/picks

Or something like that. Toronto gets young players and gives themselves the best chance to tank, Houston gets a back up PG and the PF they've wanted for a while, Lakers get a PF that fits their system better than Pau.
LAL would need to get a bit more I think, but I think that's a solid foundation to build off of.

win//win//win

Old
11-24-2012, 04:15 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
LAL would need to get a bit more I think, but I think that's a solid foundation to build off of.

win//win//win
I think the Raps would prefer Gasol than Morris and a pick, so I don't see how it's a win for them.

Old
11-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
I doubt the Lakers would swap Gasol for Bargnani. The only thing he can do better than Gasol is shoot. Gasol is a much better player and the Lakers would be a worse team if they make a deal like that. Gasol isn't a very good defensive player and he isn't the most physical but at least he isn't allergic to physical contact like Bargnani is.

Shouldn't D'Antoni wait until Nash is back before he starts taking shots at Gasol? Big men need someone to get them the ball and put them in a good position to score, Lakers don't have anyone who can do that right now. Kobe tries to be a playmaker early on but then he just says **** it and takes over. They're not running the triangle anymore where the point guard doesn't really matter, they need Nash in this offense. I hope they make another panic move and trade Gasol before he even gets an opportunity to play with Nash.

Last edited by Avs_19: 11-24-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old
11-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
The rumor was when Bosh was with the Raptors and Stoudemire was on the Suns. Both had 2 yrs left on their contracts at the time. It could make sense for Colangelo having interest in Stouds since he drafted him and showed interest in him before. One headcase for another.
How is Bosh a headcase? He might be the sanest player in the NBA.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
How is Bosh a headcase? He might be the sanest player in the NBA.
Sorry, was referring to Bargnani and Stoudemire.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Old
11-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Would a sane person ask for an alley-oop like this....

Old
11-24-2012, 06:32 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Sorry, was referring to Bargnani and Stoudemire.
Lol, Bosh isn't a headcase but Bargnani is? I think Raptors fans will disagree with you on that one. Neither of them are, but there were more issues with Bosh's attitude than Barg's in TO.

Closed Thread