HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Paajarvi to NJ

Old
10-11-2012, 11:46 AM
guyzeur

vCash: 500
about Merrill

- Yesterday Michigan Wolverines Head Coach Red Berenson announced that Jon Merrill suffered a broken 7th vertebra in an exhibition win over Windsor on Tuesday night. Berenson told Michigan Daily that Merrill's vertebra is cracked but not out of place and that he will be immobilized for several weeks. His full recovery is expected to take approximately six weeks.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Todd-...more/159/46997

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Jamin

Paajarvi will be playing with RNH and Eberle on the first line in the AHL and Merrill has an effed up back. No thanks to that trade (pretending trades can go through during a lockout).

My guess is not even in relation to this thread but HF in general is Paajarvi will rebound and wont be called a bust like most people claim, at worst he is a 3rd line player

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Paajarvi will be playing with RNH and Eberle on the first line in the AHL and Merrill has an effed up back. No thanks to that trade (pretending trades can go through during a lockout).

My guess is not even in relation to this thread but HF in general is Paajarvi will rebound and wont be called a bust like most people claim, at worst he is a 3rd line player
Merrill just had that injury last night, at least prior to the discussion.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Oilwings

Not giving up on MP yet.

Oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
I commend the Devils in their playoff run last season, but the Devils D was out muscled and pushed around by the bigger and more physical forwards of LA. LA exploited NJ biggest weakness and that was their D. Their D did play well, but it was their goaltending and floor checking of their forwards was the main reason they got as far as they did.

Greene would have to beat out Petry, J.Schultz, and Whitney to make the team. If Whitney was injured, maybe, but the way it sounds things are looking up for him. J.Schultz looks like the real deal in the preseason games in the AHL and it could be safe to say Greene couldn't replace him. Petry is finally coming around and looks like that all around D the Oilers were expecting. Can you could explain to me why Greene is better then these 3 and why he could replace them.
Exactly, Greene would definiteately have to beat out several Dmen to make the team. Fedun look pretty good too.

Old
10-11-2012, 05:09 PM
SpeakingOfTheDevils
Devils Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
Exactly, Greene would definiteately have to beat out several Dmen to make the team. Fedun look pretty good too.
Are you seriously saying one of the most steady defensemen on a Conference-champion team couldn't make the roster of a cellar-dweller? You guys are nuts.

SpeakingOfTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 05:31 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Sounds like Davidson is the one to watch with OKC, Nelson had some good things to say about him.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADevil3034 View Post
Are you seriously saying one of the most steady defensemen on a Conference-champion team couldn't make the roster of a cellar-dweller? You guys are nuts.
The Oilers are NOT going to give away the team's top LW PROSPECT for a 2nd pairing dman. The Oilers have tons of dmen prospects. Unless a bonafide #1 dman or a #2C is coming back. Also if you look at the past draft the Oilers selected more offensive players than dmen.

Also if everthing pans out I like a line of Pitlick, Martindale, and Hamilton.

Last edited by Oilwings: 10-11-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old
10-11-2012, 06:50 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Suppose MPS looks average at best during his time with RNH and Eberle, does his stock officially drop at that point?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Roof Daddy

I'd rather keep MPS at this point. Certainly plenty of areas that need work in his game, but if he learns to use his size better and drive to the net - with his speed - he will draw a ton of penalties. Couple that with a very solid defensive game and he should be a good compliment to a guy like Yakupov (who's not exactly renowned for his play in his own end).

I know there have been previous threads based on Hemsky for Tallinder, but I think I'd want a pick added to Tallinder (3rd IMO). Tallinder could be an excellent mentor for Klefbom.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 07:26 PM
victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Suppose MPS looks average at best during his time with RNH and Eberle, does his stock officially drop at that point?
I doubt it. He had 15 goals and 34 points as a rookie in the NHL, went into his sophmore season, and lost his way. He wasn't the first player to suffer from "the sophmore slump," and won't be the last one.

21 years old, 6'2", 204lbs, and skates like he does? I'd bet that Edmonton keeps him, and gives him a hard push.

The most likely scenario? Posters here commenting that "any plug could score with Eberle and Hopkins in the AHL."

victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 07:33 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor View Post
I doubt it. He had 15 goals and 34 points as a rookie in the NHL, went into his sophmore season, and lost his way. He wasn't the first player to suffer from "the sophmore slump," and won't be the last one.

21 years old, 6'2", 204lbs, and skates like he does? I'd bet that Edmonton keeps him, and gives him a hard push.

The most likely scenario? Posters here commenting that "any plug could score with Eberle and Hopkins in the AHL."
To be fair, considering how good both are in the NHL if MPS doesn't at least look good there's a problem no?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 08:12 PM
victor

Quote:
To be fair, considering how good both are in the NHL if MPS doesn't at least look good there's a problem no?
What is good for him? Last season, he scored 36 points in 48 games last season in the AHL, with 11 of those points in 14 games in the playoffs. 0.75 PPG? He was on pace for top 20 in the AHL as a 20 year old (b. April 12th)

What does a good season look like for him? 1.0 PPG? (That would put him in the top #3 in the AHL last season.) 1.1PPG?

How much of a bump is playing with Eberle and Hall going to be? How much harder will the AHL be, with young NHL defenders?

Old
10-11-2012, 08:39 PM
The Green Unit

Sad oilers fans can't see why defence-men like Greene or tallinder would be quite helpful to their team. I don't care about Devils getting MPS personally, but besides NJD, Edmonton is my 2nd favourite team. I couldn't be more honest, either greene or henrik would make the oilers a lot better.

The Green Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 08:52 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri the Fury View Post
Sad oilers fans can't see why defence-men like Greene or tallinder would be quite helpful to their team. I don't care about Devils getting MPS personally, but besides NJD, Edmonton is my 2nd favourite team. I couldn't be more honest, either greene or henrik would make the oilers a lot better.
What is really sad is that just because NJ made the finals, some Devil fans think their D are all 1st pairing D.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 08:54 PM
iCanada

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Walk all over the Devils D? Really? You do realize that in four of the six games played, the Kings only scored ONE regulation goal each?

Devils lost the series because the forwards all went cold against LA's D. Get a clue.

Tallinder actually played well in that series because he had fresh legs. The blood clot was a freak thing. Doubt it ever happens again. If it was an ongoing concern, his doctors wouldn't clear him to play. Tallinder stinks as an 82 game d-man, but your logic is so wrong and ignorant that it's incredible.
You realize the Kings scored only 1 goal a game in pretty much every game all year right? They threw up two it was considered beast mode offense.

iCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 08:55 PM
iCanada

vCash: 400
Why do people think Edmonton fans want to trade Paajarvi?

lol.

<_<

I dont get it. We'll keep our Paajarvi thanks.

iCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
I think the Oilers should see what he has when playing with top6 players, rather than Belangers and Hordichuks.

Mc5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
The Oilers are NOT going to give away the team's top LW PROSPECT for a 2nd pairing dman. The Oilers have tons of dmen prospects. Unless a bonafide #1 dman or a #2C is coming back. Also if you look at the past draft the Oilers selected more offensive players than dmen.

Also if everthing pans out I like a line of Pitlick, Martindale, and Hamilton.
Greene's value is much higher than MPS. I wouldn't really call it giving away, more like divine intervention in favour of the Oilers.

You could have a gun to a GM's head and he still wouldn't trade a "bonafide #1 dman" for him so don't hold your breath.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 09:43 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

Quote:
I think the problem is peoples expectations. He's not going to be an elite offensive player but he should be able to pot 30-40 points regularly and 50 in a good year. He'll be a third line LW with above average defensive ability, top end speed and a big body to go along with his work ethic and good attitude.

He's already proven to be one of the best defensive players on an NHL roster at a young age. He scored at .75 ppg in the AHL last year which is pretty much in line with a third line NHL winger. I expect him to be somewhere around .8 ppg playing with Eberle and RNH but I don't expect him to get much time on that line... Hall will be back in 10-14 days and I can't imagine he'd be playing under MPS.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 09:46 PM
victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
Why do people think Edmonton fans want to trade Paajarvi?

lol.

<_<

I dont get it. We'll keep our Paajarvi thanks.
I see very few Oiler fans wanting to move Paajarvi. Personally, I'd keep him and play as a right winger with Smyth and Horcoff, on the PK, and bump him into the top six if there is an injury.

Yakupov-Hopkins-Eberle
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-Horcoff-Paajarvi
Eager-Belanger-Jones

PK #1 would be Horcoff and Paajarvi, PK #2 would be Belanger and Jones. Smyth would be rotated through the PP units to play in front of the net. Seems like a great fit for his skills.

Old
10-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
I think that it would make me start to wonder if he has a good chance of reaching a top 6 upside TBH. That said he was on their line for a short stretch last year (a couple of periods IIRC) and that line looked pretty good but RNH and Eberle were playing a 2 man game for the most part. In this instance he has gotten practice time with them and should get at least a handful of games with them. I am looking forward to seeing what he's able to do playing with them.

10-11-2012, 10:43 PM
SpeakingOfTheDevils
Devils Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
What is really sad is that just because NJ made the finals, some Devil fans think their D are all 1st pairing D.
We've acknowledged several times (in this thread, too, even) that our D is three solid groups of 2nd-pairing-caliber guys. Our 1st-pairing D is the line that's on the ice.

And "just because" we made it to the Finals, we think our D is good? That's like saying "just because" a team scores the most goals in the league, they have the best offense. You're acting as if these correlations are illogical...

Hopefully for the Oilers' sake, keeping their prospects works out for them. But Tallinder or Greene would significantly improve their D corps, whether Oilers fans want to accept that or not.

SpeakingOfTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 11:12 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
You can have him back, if you want.

I think Larsson mentored Tallinder, not the other way around.
I'll take him.
I think there was a thread a little while back where most Buf/NJ fans agreed on Adam + 3rd, or something like that, for Tallinder. And then Buffalo would ship Leopold to someone for something...

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 11:15 PM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 50
Quote:
Sort of a tricky observation to make though. Playing with Eberle and RNH in the AHL should be like playing with the Sedins. If you're not producing on a line with the Sedins, it's because the Sedins aren't producing.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote