HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Roster. (if we have a season)

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Onion Boy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
I'm not saying that Prucha should be on the top line, per se. I'm arguing against the feeling that every player that comes over from Europe will need time in the AHL. Older and more developed forward prospects with years of elite league experience should should not have a difficult transition to the NHL. The change in ice surface can affect d-men and goalies quite a bit, but not so much with forwards.
OK, there I agree. There's also the fact that alot of players with years of experience in a European elite league would likely refuse to report to the AHL anyway.

Old
02-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

a) Prucha is not having a good season. Hell, Prucha didn't have a great season last year either aside from one very good tournament.

b) We HAVE to have some youth on the top 2 lines. Possibilities (since we have 3 of 6 as vets) for this season are:

Giroux-the leading Pack goalscorer deserves a shot at some real NHL minutes.
Wiseman-having a decent season down there... deserves a shot as well.
Balej-prior to this season, he was a lock... not so much anymore.
Moore-I don't know how it would work since he's a center... but he deserves quality ice time and is NOT a checking center.
Lundmark-give him consistent solid ice time in the top 6. It would be a short season. If he fails... he fails and at least we know that he was a bust.

People need to get off this idea that players have to earn ice time on a rebuilding team. That's wrong. Players get ice time in their slated spot BASED ON POTENTIAL when you rebuild.

Next season I think is wide open. Dawes and Immonen, especially, are ready to take the next step or bust.

Old
02-01-2005, 05:32 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos
People need to get off this idea that players have to earn ice time on a rebuilding team. That's wrong. Players get ice time in their slated spot BASED ON POTENTIAL when you rebuild.
Really? Then let's bring back Brendl and Daigle and give them the top line minutes that their potential calls for. For that matter, since potential should dictate who plays on what lines, the Mike Yorks of the world should not play on top lines.
The ONLY way to ensure that your teams play hard is to make every one EARN their ice time. If you start to hand people ice time based on potential, then you will once again run into the issue of deserving players not playing enough and non-deserving players playing all the time. Haven't we had enough of that?

Old
02-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Really? Then let's bring back Brendl and Daigle and give them the top line minutes that their potential calls for. For that matter, since potential should dictate who plays on what lines, the Mike Yorks of the world should not play on top lines.
Daigle was given his chances. Brendl hasn't been and he is by no means a bust (yet). I'm talking about the future players in the organization. Secondly, Mike York was always highly rated skill-wise. But size led to problems in judging his potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
The ONLY way to ensure that your teams play hard is to make every one EARN their ice time. If you start to hand people ice time based on potential, then you will once again run into the issue of deserving players not playing enough and non-deserving players playing all the time. Haven't we had enough of that?
By that logic, Moore, Wiseman and Giroux have already earned their spots on the Rangers anyway. We're talking about opening rosters. If Peter Prucha proves he's deserving of a spot in training camp moreso than the three guys I just mentioned. Then by all means. But the 5 guys I mentioned in my first post plus whoever else has that potential should be competing for those spots and no one else. I don't want to see Garth Murray on the top 2 lines just because he works hard.

By the way, the 5 names I mentioned didn't "earn" their spots... they were handed them. Three of them, at least, play hard despite not having "earned" their spots.

Old
02-01-2005, 06:37 PM
True Blue

Quote:
I don't want to see Garth Murray on the top 2 lines just because he works hard.

By the way, the 5 names I mentioned didn't "earn" their spots... they were handed them. Three of them, at least, play hard despite not having "earned" their spots.
I did not mean that hard work alone should dictate where they play. Obviously, hard work is not enough for Garth Murray to play on the top lines. However, one cannot just hand a top 2 line spot based on potential. If those with the top 2 line potential play hard and show that they belong, then fine. However, if they look like the NHL is beyond them at that point, then they do not belong on any lines on the big teams.

Old
02-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Moore-I don't know how it would work since he's a center... but he deserves quality ice time and is NOT a checking center.
Personally, I think Moore would be perfect playing LW on a checking line with Holik. His defensive game is, IMO, better than that of any other Ranger forward prospect.

Old
02-02-2005, 09:27 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599
Personally, I think Moore would be perfect playing LW on a checking line with Holik. His defensive game is, IMO, better than that of any other Ranger forward prospect.

Not only that, but Holik seems to be more effective when he has quick, positionaly sound wingers as well.

He doesn't need big hitters or maulers on his line, just some speed and defensively responsible wingers.

Moore seems to fit the bill..

Old
02-02-2005, 10:46 AM
jessimanrules

"People need to get off this idea that players have to earn ice time on a rebuilding team. That's wrong."

I partly agree. Prospects should make the team based on potential. They should get ice time initially based on potentially and what role they can play. They should only keep ice time if they continue to earn it. If Prucha played with Jagr and he was lazy he shouldn't continue to be rewarded for being a dog.

Old
02-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

My point exactly. I wasn't saying that the prospects should cling to spots beyond reason. If they fail, you demote them and make sure they know that they still have a chance, they just need some more development.

Old
02-02-2005, 12:20 PM
True Blue

Quote:
My point exactly. I wasn't saying that the prospects should cling to spots beyond reason. If they fail, you demote them and make sure they know that they still have a chance, they just need some more development.
But you cannot enter a season by saying that Prucha (for argument's sake) is our top line wing. He has to come to camp & EARN the job. If he cannot outplay a Rucincky, then he does not get a top line spot. You cannot enter a season in which your top option is Prucha and then have no backup plan for what happens if he is not ready. Prucha should be able to openly compete for the spot, but in no way should he be options 1a & b.

Old
02-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Again, I disagree. First of all, we're not talking about Rucinsky being in the picture here. We're talking about having 3 open spots on the top 2 lines right now.

Think of it this way... players should be earning their spots on this team based on their success in the AHL, Europe or Juniors.

In other words, you designate players and having SPOTS TO LOSE. Not spots to win. It instills confidence, but you gotta make sure that they CAN lose the job.

Old
02-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Holik is not gonna be a checking line center on this team.

Old
02-02-2005, 02:17 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Why not?

They will play Nylander on the first line with Jagr and someone (maybe Giroux (sp?), maybe Wiseman). They can fill the second line with a kid (Lundmark maybe, it's time to find this guy a position and then fish or cut bait) and Balej and Giroux or Wiseman and Balej. That leaves Holik on the third/checking line with Moore and let's say Murray/Ortmeyer. And then a fourth line.

Why not play Holik as a checking center? That's why we got him. This team is going to loose a lot whether Holik is on the checking line or the second "scoring line." Why not, for once play people in their correct spots.

Based on no FAs and no Messier:

Giroux-Nylander-Jagr
Wiseman-Lundmark-Balej
Moore-Holik-Murray

And I hear Crosby is apartment hunting on the Upper West...

Old
02-02-2005, 02:34 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
He should be. Whether or not he will be is up to Renney. Be aware that Holik on a "checking line" would still get 2nd line minutes or better since he'd be matched up against other teams' top line.

Old
02-02-2005, 02:47 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
He should be. Whether or not he will be is up to Renney. Be aware that Holik on a "checking line" would still get 2nd line minutes or better since he'd be matched up against other teams' top line.
we all know he should be a checking line center, i think even the rangers know this. But the problem is, we dont have two more talented centers ahead of him on the depth chart. Im not saying he's a good offensive player, but name me two more talented centers that we have that have shown us they deserve top 2 line minutes. Its unfortunate, but we only have Nylander at this point. We really need help down the middle.

Old
02-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Based on no FAs and no Messier:

Giroux-Nylander-Jagr
Wiseman-Lundmark-Balej
Moore-Holik-Murray

And I hear Crosby is apartment hunting on the Upper West...
I dont see us going into the season with that Hartford wolf pack line up. We'll sign guys for the time being.

And i've also heard stories that Crosby would prefer to come here over any other team. too bad its not up to him. But hey, he can pull an Eli Manning and threaten to hold out

Old
02-02-2005, 02:57 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
I dont see us going into the season with that Hartford wolf pack line up. We'll sign guys for the time being.

And i've also heard stories that Crosby would prefer to come here over any other team. too bad its not up to him. But hey, he can pull an Eli Manning and threaten to hold out
What possible purpose would signing guys serve? The team is not going to win (and in reality, it shouldn't this year). If this team is really going with youth, lets' go with youth, there is enough of a vet presence with Jagr, Holik, Nylander, Kasparaitis, Marshall, Poti, Strudwig, Weekes and Dunham.

This team will also be tight with whatever salary structure is finally agreed upon. Don't see any reason to sign vets. Don't see any sense in it either.

My comment about apartment hunting was not exactly a rumor. More a result of what would happen if this line-up is indeed the one that the Rangers go with.

Old
02-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
What possible pupose would signing guys serve? The team is not going to win (and in reality, it shouldn't this year). If this team is really going with youth, lets' go with youth, there is enough of a vet presence with Jagr, Holik, Nylander, Kasparaitis, Marshall, Poti, Strudwig, Weekes and Dunham.

This team will also be tight with whatever salary structure is finally agreed upon. Don't see any reason to sign vets. Don't see any sense in it either.
i agree with you 100%, and if i was running the team, i'd play all the kids. But what i meant was i dont see the Rangers organization putting that line up out on the ice.

Old
02-02-2005, 03:07 PM
Davisian

If there is a short season, I fear the chances of Crosby in blue are sverely hurt.

Especially if the DON'T sign a couple UFA's..

My theory (and it rules, so don't even try to argue with it), is that the Rangers have so many players playing together in the AHL, that will likely become NHL'ers once the season starts, that they will be ahead of most other teams in trying to find some chemistry and won't take as long to shed the rust.

OK, its a working theory, so go ahead and argue it..

Old
02-02-2005, 03:08 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
i agree with you 100%, and if i was running the team, i'd play all the kids. But what i meant was i dont see the Rangers organization putting that line up out on the ice.
Ah. I see.

I'm not sure that I think they will do that. They have played the whole youth card ever since last years' trade deadline. They have also spoken about Crosby. Heck any of the top four picks would be great. I think that my line up is pretty close. *knocks wood*

Old
02-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Ah. I see.

I'm not sure that I think they will do that. They have played the whole youth card ever since last years' trade deadline. They have also spoken about Crosby. Heck any of the top four picks would be great. I think that my line up is pretty close. *knocks wood*
well considering there wont be any hockey this year, we're all gonna have to wait for Crosby for atleast another year.

Old
02-02-2005, 03:27 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
If there is a short season, I fear the chances of Crosby in blue are sverely hurt.

Especially if the DON'T sign a couple UFA's..

My theory (and it rules, so don't even try to argue with it), is that the Rangers have so many players playing together in the AHL, that will likely become NHL'ers once the season starts, that they will be ahead of most other teams in trying to find some chemistry and won't take as long to shed the rust.

OK, its a working theory, so go ahead and argue it..
You're an idiot. I mean, what are you smoking?

Chemistry is nice, but talent is also important. And this team, save for Jagr is just not very talented. The defense is soft and the goaltending is sketchy. I think that they will be what we we expect - a young team that is learning what playing at the next level is.

Old
02-02-2005, 03:33 PM
Davisian

Quote:
Chemistry is nice, but talent is also important. And this team, save for Jagr is just not very talented. The defense is soft and the goaltending is sketchy. I think that they will be what we we expect - a young team that is learning what playing at the next level is.
Nope.. Your response sucks.. I don't accept it..

So what if the defense is soft and the goaltending is shaky and the team will be young, when they have ..... uh.. umm..... laces?...

In seriousness, I'd fully agre with you if this were a full season, but as it is now, (if they actually play) a quick camp and I see them racing off to a quick start, just due to the chemistry of having a team where the majority of guys have been playing together, and those that weren't are guys like Holik, Jagr, Nylander, Kaspar, Rachunek and Poti.

I'm not saying they'd do anything in the playoffs, but a quick start in a short season would mean little shot at Crosby..

Old
02-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Balej20*

The players officially ended all hope for a season today when they once again rejected the NHL's offer, without even giving one of their own. Good bye NHL.

Old
02-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

k, about Holik. The guy has chemistry with Jagr, supposedly. Renney will play them together.

Closed Thread