HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Me Love Dogs

Old
10-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Gustav Nyquist
☆☆☆☆☆★★★★★

vCash: 500
I'm not ashamed to admit I change my voice when I talk to my dog.

Gustav Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 09:03 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnkrok View Post
I'm not ashamed to admit I change my voice when I talk to my dog.
As do I.

I didn't realize I have to call my dog Sir, and talk in a professional business manner. Little Buddy sure is going to be confused when I start calling him Sir or Mr. Potts.

RayP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Kunitz sucks balls

Since this is a dog thread, might as well get the advice I'm looking for:

I'm probably gonna get a dog sometime in the near future. I've never owned a dog before, and was wondering what kind of a dog would be suitable for me?

I'm generally lazy, so I don't want a dog that's hyper active, nor do I want one which requires a lot of maintenance.

I personally love German Sheppards, Huskies, Border Collies, Samoyed. I prefer dogs which are bit big I guess.

Which breed would some of you ppl with experience suggest for me?

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckguy11 View Post
Girlfriend and I went to the local Petco last night to help a friend pick out a fish. This hippie couple walks by with a leashed husky and dachshund and I was a kid on Christmas Day.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 09:12 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post

I'm probably gonna get a dog sometime in the near future. I've never owned a dog before, and was wondering what kind of a dog would be suitable for me?

I'm generally lazy, so I don't want a dog that's hyper active, nor do I want one which requires a lot of maintenance.

I personally love German Sheppards, Huskies, Border Collies, Samoyed. I prefer dogs which are bit big I guess.

Do you have a yard that you can let it run around in? If not, and it's just going to sit, rot, get fat, and then die of heart disease... I wouldn't even bother getting one, and giving a dog a terrible quality of life that just sits and never gets to be active.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 489
I like dogs more then people.

Plaxico and Eli

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 09:24 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

The bolded cancels out German Sheppards for sure. Not to sure about Huskies but i'd imagine they're pretty similar.

German Sheppards are (i think) the 2nd smartest dogs in the world. This intelligence is awesome but potentially dangerous if you dont train them properly (hence why lazy=bad). I'd get a Bulldog or something like that.

Just promise Ze Lounge that if you're not going to love it fully, and be a half-ass dog owner then just dont get a dog. Not exactly sure why but i find animal abuse/neglect to be one of the most disgusting and immoral things humans can do to. It literally makes me sick to my stomach.

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 09:35 PM
LSnow

I like dogs, especially when i hand picked a puppy when i was 3 years old and i recall that like it happened yesterday, and he stuck with me 17 years until he died Cried like a girl for a week..

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Orr123

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
The bolded cancels out German Sheppards for sure. Not to sure about Huskies but i'd imagine they're pretty similar.

German Sheppards are (i think) the 2nd smartest dogs in the world. This intelligence is awesome but potentially dangerous if you dont train them properly (hence why lazy=bad). I'd get a Bulldog or something like that.

Just promise Ze Lounge that if you're not going to love it fully, and be a half-ass dog owner then just dont get a dog. Not exactly sure why but i find animal abuse/neglect to be one of the most disgusting and immoral things humans can do to. It literally makes me sick to my stomach.
Also rule out Border Collies. They need to run A LOT!

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 09:39 PM
RayP

Add mini pinschers to that list as well. Tons of energy.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Orr123

I have a Bernese mountain dog and love her to death! She's only 5 months, and a ball of energy though. But the perfect dog for my family.

Last edited by Orr123: 10-09-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old
10-09-2012, 09:47 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

^^^^^^^^^^

The shedding must be lovely ; )

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Orr123

Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^

The shedding must be lovely ; )
Honestly if you just brush her, it's not bad. No more than other shorter haired dogs I've had. It you don't brush (especially in spring/summer), than it is terrible.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:15 PM
BluesOne31
We going insane

Quote:

If you actually care about the dog when you get it then the chances are you'll actually feel the need to be active enough to take care of it. Maybe getting a dog would be good for you haha.

BluesOne31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Orr123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesOne31 View Post
If you actually care about the dog when you get it then the chances are you'll actually feel the need to be active enough to take care of it. Maybe getting a dog would be good for you haha.
My friend lost 80lbs when he got a dog.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Kunitz sucks balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Do you have a yard that you can let it run around in? If not, and it's just going to sit, rot, get fat, and then die of heart disease... I wouldn't even bother getting one, and giving a dog a terrible quality of life that just sits and never gets to be active.
Nah, I've got a pretty big back yard, with a soccer field, and baseball field about 10 metres from my fence, so I do have access to lots of free space.

I'm not that lazy I'd go for a .5-1 hr walk/run everyday no problem. I'm planning of getting the dog after I graduate from Uni, so I have some time to take care of it. Wouldn't wanna get one and then neglect it like you've said here.

Quote:

Thanks. Yea, Huskies are out for sure. I did some research, and generally, they are one of the hardest dogs to own, in terms of work you need to put into, and definitely not for first time owners. I don't really like bulldogs. I've thought about Greyhounds. They seem to need about .5 hrs a day to remain healthy.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Kunitz sucks balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesOne31 View Post
I've been thinking about this too

Old
10-09-2012, 11:24 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLuci View Post
If you love dogs, show love in this thread.
if you are on facebook

look up
henrythehappyhound

I created his own page

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

**** cats.

Dogs are vastly superior.

10-09-2012, 11:42 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
**** cats.

Dogs are vastly superior.
dogs have friends
cats have servants

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 11:54 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:

Thanks. Yea, Huskies are out for sure. I did some research, and generally, they are one of the hardest dogs to own, in terms of work you need to put into, and definitely not for first time owners. I don't really like bulldogs. I've thought about Greyhounds. They seem to need about .5 hrs a day to remain healthy.
Not even English Bulldogs? They're a bit fugly in pics but I think they look cool in person.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 12:43 AM
Qrispy

I've had mostly negative experiences with dogs, so I hate them. I mean, puppies are acceptable but older dogs are just annoying. Always barking and getting up in my personal space trying to lick and/or bite me. **** them.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 01:41 AM
Rushin Joo

Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=08b_1349760915

Rushin Joo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 01:49 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
dogs>>>>cats
Yup.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 08:01 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:

All the breeds you listed are pretty active. If you want something big and not as active look at something like a great dane believe it or not. They can even live a happy life in an apartment.

Other options

Bullmastiff

Yes, a Bullmastiff, as in that super large dog, is pretty low maintenance. This powerful guard dog was developed in the mid-1800s as a cross between the English Mastiff and the Old English Bulldog. They were bred, not to attack intruders, but to stand in front of them or knock them down and hold them. For their size, they tend to be pretty low-energy dog. A Bullmastiff needs for:

Space – Low-ish. Because of its size (100 to 130 lbs, 21 to 27” in height), you do need enough space in the house just so the dog can move and lounge around. However, these are calm, low-key dogs and they actually do fine in apartments. And they do best when they live inside with the owner.
Training – Low. Some training is recommended just for walking the large dog so he doesn’t pull. This dog is very loyal to its family, even-tempered, calm and very tolerant of children. In fact, these dogs crave human attention and are quite affectionate.
Grooming – Low. It has a short, smooth coat that sheds little.
Exercise – Low to moderate. The Bullmastiff is a calm, low-energy dog—it’s even known to be a lazy dog, clearly OK with lying on the sofa. However, because he is such a large dog, obesity can be a concern. Occasional long walks are a good idea, but they can be leisurely, low-key walks.

Cons – Some tendencies for bloating, hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, and eye problems. Cannot tolerate extreme temperatures. Tendency to drool or slobber.

Greyhound

A racing dog on a list for 10 Best Dogs for Lazy Owners? A-ha, you learn something new all the time. Yes, they do sprint fast, but they are not high-energy dogs. In fact, Greyhounds have been referred as “Forty-five mile per hour couch potatoes.” Greyhounds have been around for some time, and can be traced to ancient Egypt and Greece and have often been used for hunting and herding throughout history. The Greyhound needs for:

Space – Low. Seriously. Yes, this is a larger dog (60 to 70 pounds as an adult and 2 1/2 feet high), but they can thrive in small spaces. Most Greyhounds are quiet, gentle animals, and actually make better “apartment dogs” than breeds that are smaller but more active.
Training – Low-ish. These dogs are rather obedient and get along well with strangers, school-aged children, and other dogs. You maybe should train or supervise them around smaller pet animals or very young children.
Exercise – Low to moderate. Yes, greyhounds are sprinters and they love running, but they do not require extensive exercise. A 20 to 30 minute walk many days will keep an adult Greyhound healthy.
Grooming – Low. She has a short, smooth coat and no undercoat. These are good dogs to have if you have allergies.

Cons – Some skin sensitivities and sensitive to extreme temperatures

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote