HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Me Love Dogs

Old
10-10-2012, 08:02 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Love dogs in general but my breed of choice is the Alaskan Malamute. I have one right now, a little female named Juno, and she is my second pure breed one and I had a mix malamute before that.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 08:21 AM
whatsbruin

vCash: 200
We have a Soft Coated Wheaton Terrier.
We have a female. She is big for a Wheaton.
Weighs about 42 lbs, all muscle.
Stands about 24 inches tall.

Awesome dog.
Does not shed, has hair, need to get her cut ($55) about every 2 months. Hair is as soft as could be, great to pet.

Dog is happy as could be.
Every day I come home, she is standing in front of the
storm door jumping with excitement, but does not jump up, even
though that is the traditional "Wheaton" greeting.
Great with kids.
Not a guard dog, would lick an intruder rather than bite.
Barks when another dog walks by but thats about it.
We have a small fenced in yard 50 x 70 that she gets all her
exercise in.

My one dog is my only experience with a Wheaton, so can't say
if all of them are like this. Talk to a vet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cinders_2008_01_12 001.jpg‎ (28.7 KB, 7 views)

whatsbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 07:47 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
**** cats.

Dogs are vastly superior.
Cats are more intelligent. (twice as many neurons in their cerebral cortex)
Cats have a better sense of sight.
Cats have better hearing.
Cats are the more efficient hunter.
Cats are more capable of taking care of themselves.
Cats have a better chance of surviving on their own on the streets.
Indoor cats have a longer life expectancy.

What makes dogs superior?

cyris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 07:50 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
dogs have friends
cats have servants

Old
10-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Check out banner, dogs!

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 07:56 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

Going back to the point of the thread. For years I have wanted a Newfoundland but I would need a much bigger place before I decided to get a dog that massive.

They are such a friendly gentle breed.

Old
10-10-2012, 08:26 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsbruin View Post
We have a Soft Coated Wheaton Terrier.
We have a female. She is big for a Wheaton.
Weighs about 42 lbs, all muscle.
Stands about 24 inches tall.

Awesome dog.
Does not shed, has hair, need to get her cut ($55) about every 2 months. Hair is as soft as could be, great to pet.

Dog is happy as could be.
Every day I come home, she is standing in front of the
storm door jumping with excitement, but does not jump up, even
though that is the traditional "Wheaton" greeting.
Great with kids.
Not a guard dog, would lick an intruder rather than bite.
Barks when another dog walks by but thats about it.
We have a small fenced in yard 50 x 70 that she gets all her
exercise in.

My one dog is my only experience with a Wheaton, so can't say
if all of them are like this. Talk to a vet.
We have a terrier/lhasa mix. They never told us what kind of terrier, but I'm sure (especially when I see pics like this) that he's a wheaton... and yes, my dog loves to jump when greeting people.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 09:59 PM
eightspokedb
pickee chickadee

vCash: 50
When you decide to get a dog - please get one from a shelter or rescue. These dogs will love you for a forever home and they do make the best pets. The cost of adopting is miniscule to what you would pay a breeder or worse a pet shop and they usually come with beginning shots and a microchip. The screening will make sure you get the dog best suited to your lifestyle.

I have a wonderful shelter dog pawing my leg right now because I am typing and not petting him.

eightspokedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightspokedb View Post
When you decide to get a dog - please get one from a shelter or rescue. These dogs will love you for a forever home and they do make the best pets. The cost of adopting is miniscule to what you would pay a breeder or worse a pet shop and they usually come with beginning shots and a microchip. The screening will make sure you get the dog best suited to your lifestyle.

I have a wonderful shelter dog pawing my leg right now because I am typing and not petting him.
yes, this x1000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
One of my biggest pet peeves.

People who act like their dogs are real people or their children.
"the more people I know the more I love my dog"

Last edited by Human: 10-10-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Ser Woof
Pull the trigger

vCash: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...ains-cats-dogs

Also, Dogs are better in the areas of communication, trainability, and complexity of thought and can learn on average 165 words. Cats? 35 words on average.

Quote:
Dogs have a better sense of smell.

Quote:
Dogs are the more efficient worker. Faster, harder working, better stamina and much more useful in the real world as working animals. Dogs work in service, therapy, search & rescue, herding, hunting, tracking, police etc - cats in comparison are pretty useless.

Quote:
Dogs have a greater ability to bond with their masters. Dogs have superior powers of understanding. Dogs are social animals that thrive in society and are domesticated to interact with people.

Quote:
Getting kinda ridiculous now so I'll just say I'm glad my dogs don't have to crap/piss in my house. I'd also rather have 10-12 yrs with a dog that can go everywhere and do everything with me than a cat that does almost nothing for 20 years.

Quote:
All of the above. And although I can't quantify it, Cat people are also about 1000X more nutty. I once saw someone trying to walk their cat on a leash... 'nuff said.

Last edited by Ser Woof: 10-10-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Ser Woof
Pull the trigger

vCash: 86
Quote:

Rescuing is a wonderful cause and I think it's great to encourage people to rescue. So many unwanted animals that need homes out there.

There are a lot of bad backyard breeders / puppy mills out there selling sick, medically unstable dogs but it shouldn't prevent people from seeking out responsible reputable breeders as well if that's the route they want to take. People just need to do their research and make sure they're buying from the right people. It's pretty easy to tell the bad from the good with a little bit of research and time spent talking to various breeders.

Pet stores on the other hand get their dogs from puppy mills. The prices they sell these dogs for is insane but it doesn't compare to the medical bills people rack up after they take these sick dogs home. It's pretty sad.

Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 12:06 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
I love dogs wrapped in raw crossaint batter and baked.

/wait, not that kind of dog?

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 12:25 AM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Quote:
Yeah I know this is a dog thread but this also holds true when it comes to cats. There are so many great ones currently in shelters and pounds looking for a new home so please think about them too.

BostonBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 12:31 AM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

vCash: 774
Quote:

When we were younger, my family got two rescue dogs. Yes, they have had rough pasts (One was shot with a BB gun several times and survived a fur eating infection), but they're still amazing dogs even in old age. Since I'm at college, I'm dreading the day I get the call that one of them's passed on.

puckguy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 03:31 AM
raikk

Send a message via MSN to raikk
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
Dogs >>>> kids
Loud kids are probably one of the most annoying creatures on the planet..

raikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 07:36 AM
whatsbruin

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
I love dogs wrapped in raw crossaint batter and baked.

/wait, not that kind of dog?
Please go check out the thread " Getting a Cat to Eat".

whatsbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 08:30 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Since this is a dog thread, might as well get the advice I'm looking for:

I'm probably gonna get a dog sometime in the near future. I've never owned a dog before, and was wondering what kind of a dog would be suitable for me?

I'm generally lazy, so I don't want a dog that's hyper active, nor do I want one which requires a lot of maintenance.

I personally love German Sheppards, Huskies, Border Collies, Samoyed. I prefer dogs which are bit big I guess.

Which breed would some of you ppl with experience suggest for me?
I'd say a German Shepherd, but you say you're lazy so don't bother.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 10:33 AM
KennyWu

Quote:

This.

When I lived at home we had 2 shih-tzus that are great dogs. But when I moved out I wanted my own and wound up adopting a pug from a shelter by my place.

Poor thing was over weight, only one eye and about 6 years old (they found him as a stray, no idea how they determine the age). He's in shape now, with some minor back problems, and is probably the most loving dog I have ever seen, never leaves my side.

KennyWu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Cats have better hearing.

10-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Muh
Beadle

Quote:

Plaxico, the dog I posted on page one or two, was a rescue. We heard she was in a bad situation and were able to take her off the peoples hands. She basically lived in a cage for the first year of her life, deathly skinny, and afraid when you would raise your hand to pet her...Now she is healthy, full of energy and love. If I am home this dog does not leave my side, and I love it.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 02:41 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
All of the above. And although I can't quantify it, Cat people are also about 1000X more nutty. I once saw someone trying to walk their cat on a leash... 'nuff said.
At the marina where I'm the manager, one of the tenants and his girlfriend walk their cat in a stroller.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 02:57 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...ains-cats-dogs

Also, Dogs are better in the areas of communication, trainability, and complexity of thought and can learn on average 165 words. Cats? 35 words on average.
The information in that article is skewed. It uses brain size to judge intelligence and brain size is a terrible judge of intelligence. Is an Elephant multiple times smarter than a person? Also relative to its size a cats brain is larger than a dogs.
Quite simply the cerebral cortex, the part of the brain that deals with the ability to learn and retain new information is nearly twice as developed in a cat as it is in a dog.

Many of the reasons you list deal with the social aspect of a dog and its willingness to be trained where a cat has little desire to do so.

Quote:
Dogs have a better sense of smell.
Only on average. Where a cat has a vastly superior sense of sight and hearing most cats and dog sense of smell is close to even and even some breeds of dogs have a worse sense of smell.
Dog breeds like the blood hound and basset hound have a much greater sense of smell and it bring the average for dogs way up.

Quote:
Dogs are the more efficient worker. Faster, harder working, better stamina and much more useful in the real world as working animals. Dogs work in service, therapy, search & rescue, herding, hunting, tracking, police etc - cats in comparison are pretty useless.
Cats are much better as a form of pest control but granted dog are much easier to train.

Quote:
Dogs have a greater ability to bond with their masters. Dogs have superior powers of understanding. Dogs are social animals that thrive in society and are domesticated to interact with people.
Dogs having superior powers of understanding is highly debatable.

Quote:
Getting kinda ridiculous now so I'll just say I'm glad my dogs don't have to crap/piss in my house. I'd also rather have 10-12 yrs with a dog that can go everywhere and do everything with me than a cat that does almost nothing for 20 years.
Cats are much lower maintenance. I like that with a cat I can leave it for 3 or 4 days as long as it has enough food and water it will take care of itself.

Quote:
Far more dog people talk to their dogs like children and take them everywhere. Some people even go as far as to walk around with their dog in a purse.

There are advantages to both animals as pets and I like both equity but to say 1 is vastly superior is ludicrous.

Old
10-11-2012, 05:00 PM
SonOfGom

Quote:
The information in that article is skewed. It uses brain size to judge intelligence and brain size is a terrible judge of intelligence. Is an Elephant multiple times smarter than a person? Also relative to its size a cats brain is larger than a dogs.
Quite simply the cerebral cortex, the part of the brain that deals with the ability to learn and retain new information is nearly twice as developed in a cat as it is in a dog.

Many of the reasons you list deal with the social aspect of a dog and its willingness to be trained where a cat has little desire to do so.

Only on average. Where a cat has a vastly superior sense of sight and hearing most cats and dog sense of smell is close to even and even some breeds of dogs have a worse sense of smell.
Dog breeds like the blood hound and basset hound have a much greater sense of smell and it bring the average for dogs way up.

Cats are much better as a form of pest control but granted dog are much easier to train.

Dogs having superior powers of understanding is highly debatable.

Cats are much lower maintenance. I like that with a cat I can leave it for 3 or 4 days as long as it has enough food and water it will take care of itself.

Far more dog people talk to their dogs like children and take them everywhere. Some people even go as far as to walk around with their dog in a purse.

There are advantages to both animals as pets and I like both equity but to say 1 is vastly superior is ludicrous.
Oh, ffs

SonOfGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 05:16 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by raikk View Post
Loud kids are probably one of the most annoying creatures on the planet..
Kids in general are the most annoying creature on the planet

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 06:39 PM
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar

I also endorse the rescue dog/pound puppy option. The last dog I had was a Fox Terrier/Kelpie mix that I got from the pound when he was about 9 months old. He had been mistreated by his original owner and was fairly distrustful of most people (for good reason). But he warmed up to me fairly quickly and my housemate and his dog (also a rescue).

It took him a while to warm up to other people, but once he got to know they weren't going to hurt him he was fine. The first time I took him to my mum's house, she got on his good side by giving him little bits of shaved ham. Didn't take him long to decide she was ok.

Unfortunately I only had him for 7 years before a brain tumour took him away from me, but I wouldn't give back those 7 years for anything. He was the best little dog ever. Dizzy, wherever you are, thanks for being there when I needed cheering up and always making me smile.

My Dizzy on the right with my mum and dad's little dog, doing what they did best, napping.

TheStinger is offline   Reply With Quote