HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Penguins and Oilers: Oilers comeback on NHL.COM!!!

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2005, 01:15 AM
soulok*

vCash: 500
Penguins and Oilers: Oilers comeback on NHL.COM!!!

I was actually getting scared that the PENGUINS of all teams would knock of the 84 Oilers in a series. How the ******* do these guys run in their simulation. How the ******* would the 93 Penguins actually win a real series against the 84 Oilers. The 93 pens were good. but CMON!!!! NHL.com need to make their simulations run with a little more authenticity. 93 Penguins in the finals of Greatest team of all time competition??? thats pathetic. Forget the upsets. Not only that people are actually voting Penguins? LOL must be a lot of penguin fans that surf NHL.com. www.PittsburghPenguins.com actually has a part of there site dedicated to this matter. NO wonder! I could understand the Islanders giving the Oilers all they can handle or maybe even the Boston Bruins of the early 70's but the Penguins??? they actually have a chance to win the series. I urge you HF Members go and vote for the Oilers because if they lose to the Penguins then my grandma must be 30 ... i must be a world class mathmatician and NHL.COM REALLY IS PITTSBURGHPENGUINS.COM

Old
02-01-2005, 01:32 AM
Grave77digger

Dont be a hater, the 93 Penguins where a better team than the one that won back to back cups. Not to mention the were coached by Scotty Bowman.

Quote:
Mario Lemieux scored 160 points in 60 games -- an average of 2.6 points per game. Kevin Stevens, Rick Tocchet and Ron Francis all scored 100 points or more and Jaromir Jagr ended with 94.
No one in there right mind can deny the offensive power of the Penguins.

Last edited by Grave77digger: 02-01-2005 at 01:39 AM.
Old
02-01-2005, 01:39 AM
Hockey Outsider

I believe the NHL uses www.whatifsports.com to simulate their games, so neither the NHL nors it fans have any say in the results.

The '84 Oilers and and '93 Pens were both great teams and in a seven game series, upsets can happen. Bill James has a formula for predicting a matchup between two teams based on their win percentages. Using some basic statistics we can see how the two teams are expected to perform over a seven-game series.

Probability of '84 Oilers winning a 7 game series: 59.6%
Probability of '93 Penguins winning a 7 game series: 40.4%

Oilers in 4: 8.8%
Oilers in 5: 16.0%
Oilers in 6: 18.2%
Oilers in 7: 16.6%
Pens in 7: 13.9%
Pens in 6: 12.8%
Pens in 5: 9.4%
Pens in 4: 4.3%

So the Oilers were a better team, no question, but seeing the Pens win wouldn't be all that surpring. 40% is quite a large chance of an upset, as far as sports goes.

Old
02-01-2005, 01:55 AM
mudcrutch79

Two comments. One, the James method isn't applicable when comparing teams from different seasons. Two, Gretzky has yet to see a minute of PP time in this series. Anyone else think that whatifsports.com is a joke?

Old
02-01-2005, 04:05 AM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulok
I was actually getting scared that the PENGUINS of all teams would knock of the 84 Oilers in a series. How the ******* do these guys run in their simulation. How the ******* would the 93 Penguins actually win a real series against the 84 Oilers. The 93 pens were good. but CMON!!!! NHL.com need to make their simulations run with a little more authenticity. 93 Penguins in the finals of Greatest team of all time competition??? thats pathetic. Forget the upsets. Not only that people are actually voting Penguins? LOL must be a lot of penguin fans that surf NHL.com. www.PittsburghPenguins.com actually has a part of there site dedicated to this matter. NO wonder! I could understand the Islanders giving the Oilers all they can handle or maybe even the Boston Bruins of the early 70's but the Penguins??? they actually have a chance to win the series. I urge you HF Members go and vote for the Oilers because if they lose to the Penguins then my grandma must be 30 ... i must be a world class mathmatician and NHL.COM REALLY IS PITTSBURGHPENGUINS.COM
No need to bash the Penguins team or their website just because of a simulator. The '92-'93 Penguins were an awesome, awesome team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcrutch79
Two comments. One, the James method isn't applicable when comparing teams from different seasons. Two, Gretzky has yet to see a minute of PP time in this series. Anyone else think that whatifsports.com is a joke?
You know, its just for fun. Don't take it so seriously.

Old
02-01-2005, 04:57 AM
soulok*

Thats true upsets do happen.The Oilers are obviously the superior team But this is for the Greatest Team. 93 Penguins id say crack the top 10 but not the top 2. Thats just wrong.

I aint hating. You can't deny the offensive power of the Penguins. Penguins are good i said it in my above statement so by calling me a hater doesnt make any sense. Don't get me started in an all out offensive game the 93 Penguins. As good as they were they wouldnt be able to outgun the 84 Oilers. A primed Gretzky...Messier?..Coffey?...Kurri? .. Anderson?? Tikkanen? the list goes on .. superior offensive firepower belonged to the Oilers.

Old
02-01-2005, 06:03 AM
Boilers*

Gretzky only on the ice for 24 min heh, pretty far fetched.

Old
02-01-2005, 07:05 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodsport
Gretzky only on the ice for 24 min heh, pretty far fetched.
The 00' Devils lost their series because Krzysztof Oliwa got powerplay time.

Old
02-01-2005, 08:10 AM
Chili

The 93 Pens won 17 games in a row (and tied their last game) going into the playoffs. The win streak is the all time record. Think of all the dynasties over the years but that Pens team holds that record. They may have peaked a little early though and lost to the Isles in a huge upset but they were still a heckuva team.

Old
02-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Egghammer

Using What If Sports, I'm running a simulated pool. There are 30 owners for each franchise. Each owner gave me the year they wanted to use for that franchise and I simluate the games on the day that the NHL season should be playing. I update the scoring leaders and goalie leaders every couple of weeks and have links to all the boxscores, pretty interesting, their are some surprises (Wild and Ducks doing really well), some people picked the wrong year but for the most part it's great checking the box scores every day

Old
02-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Luigi Lemieux

even though they didn't win the cup that year, the '93 pens could hold their own against any hockey team, ever.

Old
02-01-2005, 09:29 PM
soulok*

this is not about they can hold their own. its about 71% voting pittsburgh and 28% edmonton??? WTF? are these guys on crack? thats too much of a voting discrepency to think this series is not fixed. the Penguins in 93 were obviously a great team. But 84 Oilers were better. Thats just the plain facts.

Old
02-01-2005, 09:34 PM
se7en*

Quote:
this is not about they can hold their own. its about 71% voting pittsburgh and 28% edmonton??? WTF? are these guys on crack? thats too much of a voting discrepency to think this series is not fixed. the Penguins in 93 were obviously a great team. But 84 Oilers were better. Thats just the plain facts.
I think this is a case of a Pens fan spending hours and hours voting. Worry not. Flames fans tried to hijack the poll too, but the Oilers still won. The voting has no bearing on the actual results.

Old
02-01-2005, 09:48 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Heh. I think a few people may be taking this a weee bit too seriously.

Old
02-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt
Heh. I think a few people may be taking this a weee bit too seriously.
You don't say...

Old
02-01-2005, 10:01 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Yeah, I know I'm going out on a limb, but I'll stand by my statement.

Old
02-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
i think that's just because most internet going hockey fans tend to be younger, and probably remember the '93 pens much better and probably haven't even seen the '84 oilers play.

Old
02-01-2005, 10:39 PM
reckoning

It`s ironic that Pittsburgh`s two best teams(`93 and`96) didn`t win the Cup.Especially `93,they won 56 games that year,and were getting better towards the end of the season.I don`t know why they lost that year,it could`ve been overconfidence after breezing through the first round,plus Barrasso totally stunk in the Islander series.Sad part is,that year would`ve been the best chance to see Lemieux vs. Gretzky in the Stanley Cup Final.

Old
02-01-2005, 10:43 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning
It`s ironic that Pittsburgh`s two best teams(`93 and`96) didn`t win the Cup.Especially `93,they won 56 games that year,and were getting better towards the end of the season.I don`t know why they lost that year,it could`ve been overconfidence after breezing through the first round,plus Barrasso totally stunk in the Islander series.Sad part is,that year would`ve been the best chance to see Lemieux vs. Gretzky in the Stanley Cup Final.
the '96 team probably had the best powerplay, but was still well behind the '91 and '92 teams. it was a disappointing loss to the panthers, but i dont think that pens team could beat the avs that year anyway. it would have been really entertaining and a lot close than the panthers/avs series, but the pens probably would have lost in 6 or 7 anyway. a look at that team's defense and you know they were pretenders, not contenders.

Old
02-01-2005, 10:58 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootchie Cootchie
I think this is a case of a Pens fan spending hours and hours voting. Worry not. Flames fans tried to hijack the poll too, but the Oilers still won. The voting has no bearing on the actual results.
That poll has been running since the beginning of this series, and at one point the Penguins were up 3-1. Obviously a lot of people saw the Penguins one game from winning and voted for them. I think this makes a lot more sense.

Quote:
Best team during the regular season, well I guess so, but the '92 Penguins in particular were unstoppable during the playoffs. Match up the '92-'93 Penguins vs the '92 playoffs Penguins, and I take the '92 Penguins to win. Guess its easy to say when that team won the cup, but they were just so dominant.

The '96 team doesn't stack up, IMO. Didn't have the defense. Looking back, I don't think they would stood a chance against Colorado that year even if they did get past Florida.

Old
02-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Coffey77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
The 00' Devils lost their series because Krzysztof Oliwa got powerplay time.
IMO, playing time is totally unrealistic.

For the 95-96 Wings Grimson averages 22 minutes a game (including 3 minutes of PP and PK time). I like Stu but he'd be lucky to get 5 minutes in a game. PLus not all the best players are dressed. Scrubs are sometimes used.

Old
02-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Why do people on these forums have such a hard time differing fact from opinion?

Old
02-02-2005, 07:10 PM
soulok*

Oilers win. Like I had a doubt all along

Old
02-02-2005, 07:50 PM
CRUNK JUICE

Send a message via AIM to CRUNK JUICE
Quote:
I remember hearing Ray Ferrarro say something to the extent of "we (the Isles) came to play, and the Pens were already thinking about the details of their flight to Montreal."

I think overconfidence played more than a small part in that upset (plus the Isles were playing lights out). You'd think Scotty Bowman would've smacked some sense into them.

Old
02-02-2005, 08:28 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious Vic
I remember hearing Ray Ferrarro say something to the extent of "we (the Isles) came to play, and the Pens were already thinking about the details of their flight to Montreal."

I think overconfidence played more than a small part in that upset (plus the Isles were playing lights out). You'd think Scotty Bowman would've smacked some sense into them.
Isles were just better and beat them at what they did best, they had a 7-5 win where both teams just kept trading goals. Arbour outcoached Bowman in that series.

Isles did not even have Pierre Turgeon. Game seven Pilon hit Stevens and he was out before he hit the ice. Kasparaitis was hitting Lemieux every chance he could.

Pittsburgh was down 3-1 late in game seven before tying it in the final minute.

Closed Thread