HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Top 6 Winger to Washington

Old
09-24-2012, 10:15 AM
MuffinMan

vCash: 500
Top 6 Winger to Washington

So obviously the caps need a RW to play on the first line because Troy Brouwer is a third line player at the most. So what will it take to get a top 6 winger?

MuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 10:23 AM
MiSe

They're certainly paying him as a Top 6 winger, so we'll have to live with it for now. We still need a top 6 winger, but I'm pretty sure they plan on Wolski filling in that role.

MiSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 10:28 AM
CraniumCram
Beasts of the East

Buffalo could use Laich.

In return you're looking at something like Stafford. Very similar contract and production.

CraniumCram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 11:30 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSe View Post
They're certainly paying him as a Top 6 winger, so we'll have to live with it for now. We still need a top 6 winger, but I'm pretty sure they plan on Wolski filling in that role.
Wolski is the last guy you want filling that role.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

So scoring right around 20 goals for three straight seasons makes you a 3rd line player at best? There are an awful lot of 3rd liners out there, then.

I don't mind Brouwer in the top six one bit. I would have definitely preferred to hang onto Semin to have a clear to six winger in the open spot that Wolski and Perreault will likely battle over, but I don't see many teams willing to part with a high-end player for the type of assets the Capitals have to spare. Not to mention we have a guy who's had multiple 20+ goal seasons on the wing playing at 3C (Laich) who could potentially be moved up if Johansson or Perreault can fit at 3C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramdizzl View Post
Buffalo could use Laich.

In return you're looking at something like Stafford. Very similar contract and production.
Or we could, you know, put Laich back on the wing.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 11:42 AM
BonMorrison
Always on fleek.

Clarke MacArthur for ???

BonMorrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
Clarke MacArthur for ???
Meh, the Capitals have enough 2nd/3rd line tweeners. Doesn't really help the problem at hand. If a winger was brought in, it would be a higher end player than MacArthur.

Old
09-24-2012, 12:05 PM
FAMOUSfin

Hendricks and a 3rd for Raymond?

FAMOUSfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 12:06 PM
MuffinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
So scoring right around 20 goals for three straight seasons makes you a 3rd line player at best? There are an awful lot of 3rd liners out there, then.

I don't mind Brouwer in the top six one bit. I would have definitely preferred to hang onto Semin to have a clear to six winger in the open spot that Wolski and Perreault will likely battle over, but I don't see many teams willing to part with a high-end player for the type of assets the Capitals have to spare. Not to mention we have a guy who's had multiple 20+ goal seasons on the wing playing at 3C (Laich) who could potentially be moved up if Johansson or Perreault can fit at 3C.
So you have no problem with someone who scores 20 goals on the first line?

Last edited by spiny norman: 09-24-2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: added [/QUOTE]
Old
09-24-2012, 01:10 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
Why would anyone?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAMOUSfin View Post
Hendricks and a 3rd for Raymond?
While I do feel the Caps need to add some speed, I'd pass on this. As I mentioned with Mac, too many 2nd/3rd line tweeners already. If we're adding someone via trade, we'd want a notable upgrade in our top six.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
Having a guy who can do the "dirty work" in front of the net and in the corners is an important aspect of many lines, including the first line. Brouwer can fill that role, much like Knuble did. I don't think he'll push 30 goals the way Knuble did, but 20 is still a respectable number and isn't going to drag the line down. Los Angeles won the Cup last year with a top line consisting of Dustin Brown (22G), Anze Kopitar (25G), and Justin Williams (22G).

Old
09-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:

He spent this year with Ovechkin and Backstrom/Laich, and was on the Toews-Kane line the previous two years. There are a lot of 3rd line wingers who'll score 20 in that situation. I think ideally, you don't want that type of player on your top line unless you've got some serious depth (like Sharp and Hossa) behind it, and the Caps don't have that. Unfortunately, we don't have enough depth elsewhere to dip into to upgrade on the wings. I really wish we'd just resigned Semin and avoided this whole issue.

Zoidberg Jesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
He spent this year with Ovechkin and Backstrom/Laich, and was on the Toews-Kane line the previous two years. There are a lot of 3rd line wingers who'll score 20 in that situation. I think ideally, you don't want that type of player on your top line unless you've got some serious depth (like Sharp and Hossa) behind it, and the Caps don't have that. Unfortunately, we don't have enough depth elsewhere to dip into to upgrade on the wings. I really wish we'd just resigned Semin and avoided this whole issue.
He was far from exclusively on either of those lines. Last season, Brouwer and Ovechkin were together 10.63% of the time, but Brouwer was on lines not containing Ovechkin 9.17% of the time. In other words, 46% of Brouwer's shifts were away from Ovie. A similar story plays out with Chicago, where Brouwer was with Toews and/or Kane 8.52% of the time, but was not with either of them 6.24% of Chicago's shifts. 42.6% of Brouwer's shifts were spent away from both Toews and Kane.

But my point was that he's more than a third liner "at most." Can Brouwer play 3rd line effectively? Absolutely. But he's obviously capable of filling into a top six role and being a useful player there.

And, FWIW, it was Byfuglien with Kane and Toews during the playoffs when Chicago won the Cup.

Old
09-24-2012, 05:26 PM
MuffinMan

Quote:

Having a guy who can do the "dirty work" in front of the net and in the corners is an important aspect of many lines, including the first line. Brouwer can fill that role, much like Knuble did. I don't think he'll push 30 goals the way Knuble did, but 20 is still a respectable number and isn't going to drag the line down. Los Angeles won the Cup last year with a top line consisting of Dustin Brown (22G), Anze Kopitar (25G), and Justin Williams (22G).
Difference is Kopitar had 76 points while Troy Brouwer had 33. Also LA won because of Quick and didnt rely on scoring like the caps do.

Old
09-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Ujjy

Patrick Kane for Backstrom.

Now to see how many Hawks and Caps fans I've pissed off

Ujjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 05:38 PM
senorchang

yakupov for carlson forsberg

senorchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 05:55 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorchang View Post
yakupov for carlson forsberg
Does Washington really want another Russian? Lol.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Does Washington really want another Russian? Lol.
Not at that price.

Dr John Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Prairie Habs

What would you give for Gionta at the deadline if Montreal isn't doing well? He was injured last year but he had 29 goals in each of his first two years here, is fast and very good defensively. He also elevates his game in the playoffs and already has a ring with NJ. He also has one more year on his deal at 5M cap hit, not sure if that would increase or decrease his value in your eyes.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Seikalym

Well, with the NHL being in the state it is now, I would think that Forsberg will be the perfect fit in 2013. Always hope for Kuznetsov in 2014 too. If there is a season, I'm fine with Wolski and T-Brow. Maybe make a move before the deadline.

Seikalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Seikalym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
What would you give for Gionta at the deadline if Montreal isn't doing well? He was injured last year but he had 29 goals in each of his first two years here, is fast and very good defensively. He also elevates his game in the playoffs and already has a ring with NJ. He also has one more year on his deal at 5M cap hit, not sure if that would increase or decrease his value in your eyes.
Depends on how durable he would be during the season, but I'd give something like a 2nd + decent prospect like Flemming.

Seikalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seikalym View Post
Well, with the NHL being in the state it is now, I would think that Forsberg will be the perfect fit in 2013. Always hope for Kuznetsov in 2014 too. If there is a season, I'm fine with Wolski and T-Brow. Maybe make a move before the deadline.
Wouldn't not having TC and preseason make it harder for the 2012 draftees to make the team? Or do you think he will play tougher competition overseas and also the later start date to the season will give him a bonus in development?

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Wolski is the last guy you want filling that role.
Wolski had a bad year, he came off a surgery to his hernia. He hit 50 points his sophomore year, 48 and then 47 the next. He's easily a 2nd-liner, maybe a borderline starter. I don't know why NYR was so desperate to get rid of him that they traded him for a minor-leaguer and a 3rd round pick.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Well, if the salary cap comes down, which seems pretty likely to me, then I don't see how we could fit his contract in for the 13-14 season. Considering he hasn't hit 50 points since leaving the Devils (hell, even Wolski's hit 50 more recently than that), he's pretty overpaid at the moment too, so that makes him even less appealing.

Quote:
Wouldn't not having TC and preseason make it harder for the 2012 draftees to make the team? Or do you think he will play tougher competition overseas and also the later start date to the season will give him a bonus in development?
I'm pretty sure he means the 13-14 season. Pretty decent chance he's ready for the NHL by then.

Zoidberg Jesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 07:47 PM
#Chychrun2016

vCash: 50
Quote:
Meh, the Capitals have enough 2nd/3rd line tweeners. Doesn't really help the problem at hand. If a winger was brought in, it would be a higher end player than MacArthur.
Kulemin after a solid season in the KHL?

81 is online now   Reply With Quote