HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panthers 9, Canes 2

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2003, 05:13 PM
wint

vCash: 500
Panthers 9, Canes 2

3 goals from Olli, 2 from Kristian, and 1 each from Bouwmeester, Van Ryn, Mezei and Hordichuk. Luongo and Mason let in 1 goal each in half a game each.

Sounds like a pretty good start. Wish I could have been there.

Old
09-19-2003, 06:04 PM
TheCarneth

Send a message via AIM to TheCarneth
*~^*~*1000th Post!!!*~^*~*

Pretty darn fun game to be at tonight! Carolina looked pathetic, and we did what we should have done to them. The first line of Messier-Jokinen-Kozlov was dominant, and the Huselius-Cullen-Bure line continued to light it up. Jeff Paul, a likely candidate for San Antonio, was on the top pair with JBo. Mezei played spectacular, and both Horton and Stewart were solid but nothing special. Horton had 2 penalties, and I think Stewart may have had a better game. Some key players not in uniform were Novo, Hagman, Weiss, Shvidki, Bednar, Lilja, and Trnka. Ran into Jeff Rimer, Steve Goldstein, and Niklas Hagman among others around the arena. Hopefully this game will be a confidence boost to all the players.

Old
09-19-2003, 06:08 PM
TheCarneth

Send a message via AIM to TheCarneth
*~^*~*1000th Post!!!*~^*~*

Pretty darn fun game to be at tonight! Carolina looked pathetic, and we did what we should have done to them. The first line of Messier-Jokinen-Kozlov was dominant, and the Huselius-Cullen-Bure line continued to light it up. Jeff Paul, a likely candidate for San Antonio, was on the top pair with JBo. Mezei played spectacular, and both Horton and Stewart were solid but nothing special. Horton had 2 penalties, and I think Stewart may have had a better game. Some key players not in uniform were Novo, Hagman, Weiss, Shvidki, Bednar, Lilja, and Trnka. Ran into Jeff Rimer, Steve Goldstein, and Niklas Hagman among others around the arena. Hopefully this game will be a confidence boost to all the players.

Old
09-19-2003, 06:15 PM
Heimy

We're gonna win the cup!!! Write it down baby!

Seriously, these guys looked great. Granted it was against about 1/2 of the Canes real team and we dressed a lot more starters but I LOVE THIS TEAM!!!

Tonight's surprises...Mason is really a solid minder and a good puck handler. Van Ryn was very solid. He plays a calm, poised positional game. Good passer and skater that I predict will make the club. Mezei looks like a 10 year vet...smooth, chippy and makes smart decisions. Rock solid in all areas. Horton should be signed. He is ready and would be wasting his time back in juniors. If he stays this is a MUCH better team. Stewart had a good game...hit everything that moves. Same goes for Samuelsson. He was up and down the ice and involved at both ends. Messier is an excellent defensive player and penalty killer.

The only guys that really didn't impress were Biron (ehh) McDonald and Rossiter.

WE"RE gonna win the cup this year!

Old
09-19-2003, 07:05 PM
DR. Holiday

How was Stewart?

Old
09-19-2003, 07:33 PM
Heimy

Stewart looked very good. I did notice him hanging up kinda high and alone in the Panthers defensive zone. He should have been down lower and more involved with a Cane for those moments but that was the only time I saw it so I wouldn't make anything of it. He was crankin' guys along the boards and ( now I'm not positive it was him but I really think it was) he stickhandled the puck to the net making a few nice moves.

The prettiest goal of the night had to be when Kozlov was on the boards facing the seats with the puck. He was just a bit to the right side of the goal, pinned between 2 Cane defenders so he flipped his stick inside and snapped a pass right between his skates into the slot and onto Olli's tape! How Kozlov even saw him is a total mystery to me.

Old
09-20-2003, 03:58 AM
BabyJagrov

Heimy, I read in the Sun-Sentinel that Olli with his 10 added pounds looks like a dominant player and not a player who benefits of the play of his teammates(I know that Kozlov assisted on all of his goals but Olli was dominant in other facets of the game?), what do you think about it ?

And how well did Kristian and Cullen played last night (I didn't notice cullen on the scoresheet) ?

You really think that Van Ryn will make this team, how can you describe his game ?

Horton was that good ? You said that we were a better team with him in the lineup, how can you say so ?

To finish, just make praise of Mezei in your post, because I love Mezei as much as you do, but I prefer your praises of Mezei than the real one !
I've said when we acquire him that he could be another Eric Brewer out of Long Islandand every Edmonton's fans and co jumped on me saying that Mezei doesn't hold top-end offesnive potential!... Well it seems more and more that Brewer's offensive potential isn't that high and that Mezei's is underrated !

Old
09-20-2003, 05:31 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Olli looks like a player on the ice that can do whatever he wants. He has that swagger that all the elite players have. He could have a very big season this year.

Huselius had a pair of goals, and the Huselius-Cullen-Bure line was dominant. They cycled the puck well, and pretty much did what they wanted last night.

Van Ryn had a beautiful blast from the point to score his goal, which I think Huselius deflected. He plays good D positionally, and I think the fact that he use to be paired with Pronger is an added bonus to him/team.

I love Mezei as much as anyone does. His name alone is cool He has a nice shot, and he is a rock on defense. Lets just hope he stays healthy, cause if he does, he will be a big contributor on this team.

IMO, Horton is NHL ready. He doesnt seem lost on the ice, and he has shown some pretty good moves. Its going to be fun to see what happens with these guys in the next few weeks.

Old
09-20-2003, 06:21 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Without bias, how did we fair in the fights?

Old
09-20-2003, 07:30 AM
Spiffy

vCash:
Glad to hear those words o' praise on Olli. Go Panthers!!

Old
09-20-2003, 07:45 AM
Hossa

Sounds great from a Panthers perspective. I for one (obviously you all are too) hope and expect Jokinen to repeat if not improve on last year's production. Good to hear about Stewart. I drafted the guy in a fantasy hockey league (as well as Staal coincidentally) and it sounds like he's having a good camp. Any chance either he or Horton stick at this point.

Old
09-20-2003, 07:48 AM
justapantherfan

I haven't had that much fun at a Panther game since we beat Boston 10-5 after they let Doug go.

It was a lot of fun.

We actully looked like a hockey team. :dazzle:

Old
09-20-2003, 08:29 AM
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
Quote:
Originally Posted by justapantherfan
I haven't had that much fun at a Panther game since we beat Boston 10-5 after they let Doug go.

It was a lot of fun.

We actully looked like a hockey team. :dazzle:

I actually remember the Boston game cause I was at it lol, man the good old days

Old
09-20-2003, 08:35 AM
Heimy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat
Heimy, I read in the Sun-Sentinel that Olli with his 10 added pounds looks like a dominant player and not a player who benefits of the play of his teammates(I know that Kozlov assisted on all of his goals but Olli was dominant in other facets of the game?), what do you think about it ?

And how well did Kristian and Cullen played last night (I didn't notice cullen on the scoresheet) ?

You really think that Van Ryn will make this team, how can you describe his game ?

Horton was that good ? You said that we were a better team with him in the lineup, how can you say so ?

To finish, just make praise of Mezei in your post, because I love Mezei as much as you do, but I prefer your praises of Mezei than the real one !
I've said when we acquire him that he could be another Eric Brewer out of Long Islandand every Edmonton's fans and co jumped on me saying that Mezei doesn't hold top-end offesnive potential!... Well it seems more and more that Brewer's offensive potential isn't that high and that Mezei's is underrated !

Olli looked solid. He played a smart game watching Kozlov control the puck most shifts while he found the open ice and then Kozlov finding him for the open shot. It's clear (to me) that he's the key benficiary of Kozlov's puck control and elite passing but he IS finishing his chances and what else can you want?

Kristian impressed me. He was used at even strength and short-handed. He anticipates so well, getting his stick between passes and reading the play. Cullen did the heavy lifting along the boards and was noticably stronger....but I'm just not quite as sold as Russo et al yet.

ok, I'll repeat myself, I do think Van Ryn will make the team. The only caveat here is Keenan and Dudley's apparent strong committment to Biron. Van Ryn is clearly better than Biron. Van Ryn shows a veteran's judgement when instant decisions must be made. I noticed him staying up close to our blueline when a rush was coming and poke-checking the puck out of harms way before they could penitrate our offensive zone. He also had the check of the game but he's very careful to pick his spots rather than take himself out of position. Excellent decision making, shift after shift.

Horton (as well as Stewart make us VERY STRONG ALONG THE BOARDS. We really dominated that aspect of the game and I couldn't help but think both these guys were born to play in the east. Horton can dangle the puck and both guys play fearless and can intimidate.

Watching Mezei patrol the ice reminds me a little bit of a young Scott Stevens...back when he was a scorer too. Mezei frightens opponents into passive compliance and those that dare to try and skate around him, well, they'll pay a painful price. He OWNS the ice. One Cane player tried to slip by him along the boards and got stuck against the glass by Mezei's shoulder as though he had stuck a fork in him. His decisiveness makes him so solid. He scored his first goal by pinching in from point when nobody saw him and slamming home a smart centering pass from Val. I (and the score keeper) was sure he scored his 2nd goal of the night when he took a shot from the point that went thru a mass of humanity and into the top shelf but evidently Huselius (who was down low) got a piece of it and was later credited with the tally.

Old
09-20-2003, 10:02 AM
Heimy

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongofan
Without bias, how did we fair in the fights?

Paul went twice (I think) and held his own for the most part but then got hammered by Boulirice.(sp) Still, Paul was game. Hordy fights fearlessly. It's just "balls to the walls" with him throwing everything he's got. He got a draw vs Teteranko.

Old
09-20-2003, 02:56 PM
missBeezer

Send a message via AIM to missBeezer

Posted by pb1300 - 09-20-2003 at 10:31 AM
Quote:
Olli looks like a player on the ice that can do whatever he wants. He has that swagger that all the elite players have. He could have a very big season this year.

Huselius had a pair of goals, and the Huselius-Cullen-Bure line was dominant. They cycled the puck well, and pretty much did what they wanted last night.

Van Ryn had a beautiful blast from the point to score his goal, which I think Huselius deflected. He plays good D positionally, and I think the fact that he use to be paired with Pronger is an added bonus to him/team.

I love Mezei as much as anyone does. His name alone is cool He has a nice shot, and he is a rock on defense. Lets just hope he stays healthy, cause if he does, he will be a big contributor on this team.

IMO, Horton is NHL ready. He doesnt seem lost on the ice, and he has shown some pretty good moves. Its going to be fun to see what happens with these guys in the next few weeks.

I agree with you, that goal by Van Ryn was really deflected in by Huselius, I was waiting for them to announce the Hat Trick for Kristian as well. But it wasn't to be.

This was of course I know only a preseason game but it was a fun game,[like to 10 goal game] and a game where we as fans could see our players were doing what they were supposed to do. I have not heard any scores so far on tonights game and I hope we fair as well there also.
Looking forward to a great season.

Old
09-20-2003, 03:45 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by missBeezer
I have not heard any scores so far on tonights game and I hope we fair as well there also.
The game is in Colorado so it doesn't start till 9pm Eastern. There's a link on the Av's site to listen on the radio if anyone's interested.

http://www.coloradoavalanche.com/

Closed Thread