HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Cross Grinder Question

Old
10-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Fanned On It

vCash: 500
Cross Grinder Question

We just got a new cross-grinding wheel for our Blade Master at the shop today and I was wondering whether you had to "dress" the cross-grinder wheel when you first get it like you would with a regular sharpening wheel... anyone know? Also, we have the correct tool to do so, but what is the correct method in dressing the cross-grinder? I just usually go over it back and forth and try to keep it even as I do it.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 07:48 PM
topshelfie

Usually you need to dress the cross grind the first time but it's not required to do it as often as the sharpening wheel. Could you not call Blademaster to double check, it's been a few years since I sharpened skates.

I'd only cross grind when necessary, like 5 year old rust or a brand new pair of skates.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 09:22 PM
TieClark

Yeah you'd want to dress the grinder when you first install it but you definitely don't have to do that nearly as often as the wheel.

However the above poster mentioned avoiding cross grinding... that is completely wrong imo. You could avoid it however flattening the blade and creating a fresh hollow is definitely the way to go when sharpening skates rather than sharpening over an already existing hollow.

Oh and as for dressing it yeah going back and forth is fine. It's essentially just a tool to flatten the blade so it's not as precise as a wheel.. you'll notice using it when it needs to be dressed and just going back and forth a few times with the tool should do it.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 03:42 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Yeah you'd want to dress the grinder when you first install it but you definitely don't have to do that nearly as often as the wheel.

However the above poster mentioned avoiding cross grinding... that is completely wrong imo. You could avoid it however flattening the blade and creating a fresh hollow is definitely the way to go when sharpening skates rather than sharpening over an already existing hollow.

Oh and as for dressing it yeah going back and forth is fine. It's essentially just a tool to flatten the blade so it's not as precise as a wheel.. you'll notice using it when it needs to be dressed and just going back and forth a few times with the tool should do it.
Oh yeah no I know all about how often I should USE the cross-grinder, I just have never installed a new wheel so I didn't know if I had to dress it or not. But I went ahead and did it anyway and it seems to be working fine.

I usually cross-grind skates in three different situations: a. they're super rusty b. they're brand new c. they're really nicked up d. I just feel like starting out with a fresh hollow. Okay, four situations lol.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:42 PM
TieClark

Basically I just don't see any reason to NOT cross grind unless the person getting their skates sharpened specifically asks you to not grind them. If they're not that bad, you're going to have a pretty deep existing hollow, if they're bad there is almost always some nicks in it you need to grind out, if they're rusted they're rusted.. etc.

Putting the new wheel isn't difficult. Similar to a sharpening wheel really just thicker and facing vertically

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote