Notices

HF's Top 50 - Fall 2012

Old
10-10-2012, 01:02 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
HF's Top 50 - Fall 2012

As you might have noticed, HF's top 50 has been rolling out this week. They made it to 21-30 today and the Wild have two prospects in this range:

25 - Charlie Coyle
28 - Jonas Brodin

21-30
31-40
41-50

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 01:12 PM
TZM
Par too easy

Not complaining. Also, funny how Klefbom is #29 and Brodin #28.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 01:17 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Looking at the thread on the prospects forum, I would assume the only Wild player left to hit the list will be Granlund. Even though Dumba should definitely be ranked ahead of someone like Pouliot, I can't imagine him being ranked over Brodin, and someone compared the previous list and there's two players out of the obvious draftees and the last top 50 who still need to be left off.

Old
10-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Beegoalie

Dumba sneaking in the next ranking?? With Granlund an obvious top 3?? Or 5??

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 04:04 PM
forthewild

Brodin at 28 makes this list reek of human ****.

Guy just played at world champs, established and well respected NHL players praised him and he is at 28, yeah.......

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 04:13 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Pretty crazy how high some people are on Etem. Solid prospect to be sure, but he's not exactly a guy I would personally place on a list like this. Especially all that high throughout the process. Guess it's just a matter of absolute ceiling vs. reasonable aim and how the evaluators lean in regards to prospects.

For the record; wouldn't have much issue with Dumba missing the list entirely at this point. I don't even believe he's in the Wild's top 5 so not too sure it'd be a huge slight against him. Once/if he makes greater strides over the course of the year, he'll be there.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

I would put Brodin top 15.. but I like him enough to avy him. Should be higher than Coyle.

Dumba should crack the top 50, but as TP said, I don't even rank him in the Wild's top 5 (Granlund, Brodin, Zucker, Larsson, Hackett).

Generic User is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
I would put Brodin top 15.. but I like him enough to avy him. Should be higher than Coyle.

Dumba should crack the top 50, but as TP said, I don't even rank him in the Wild's top 5 (Granlund, Brodin, Zucker, Larsson, Hackett).
Coyle's higher than Brodin? Not even going to click the link. List is bad.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 06:00 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Pretty crazy how high some people are on Etem. Solid prospect to be sure, but he's not exactly a guy I would personally place on a list like this. Especially all that high throughout the process. Guess it's just a matter of absolute ceiling vs. reasonable aim and how the evaluators lean in regards to prospects.

For the record; wouldn't have much issue with Dumba missing the list entirely at this point. I don't even believe he's in the Wild's top 5 so not too sure it'd be a huge slight against him. Once/if he makes greater strides over the course of the year, he'll be there.
Missing the list entirely isn't okay with me when you consider that a player like Pouliot (selected later, was a huge reach, lower upside, more generic skillset) is ranked 41st.

Old
10-10-2012, 06:17 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
without going into assigning solid rankings of my own and just focusing on who is ahead or behind whom...this list is crazy.
but then it usually is, right?
edit: maybe made with a little more hype in mind than actually talent. your stock seems to go up on the list if you are a good combo of A) skill and B) pick of a loud fanbase, and C) played for a good CHL team.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 06:34 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Missing the list entirely isn't okay with me when you consider that a player like Pouliot (selected later, was a huge reach, lower upside, more generic skillset) is ranked 41st.
But then you've got a guy like Forsberg who was drafted at 11 or whatever, but ranked #24.

FUBAR McDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think Etem could be the next Devin Setoguchi...now if that's 30 goal or 15 goal Setoguchi I don't know, but he seems similar. Speedy goal scorer, north-south kinda guy.

Brodin > Coyle. I know that HF loves their stats but a potential franchise puck moving shutdown guy is more valuable than a potential 30 goal power forward.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Beegoalie

Everyone seems to think Dumba is a top 20 guy..I don't have a problem with it based on pure potential over Brodin..but I have Brodin over Dumba on my Wild list like most of you guys

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 07:46 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

Brodin > Coyle. I know that HF loves their stats but a potential franchise puck moving shutdown guy is more valuable than a potential 30 goal power forward.
Not according to this guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
I have no idea what these rankings are based on.

Klefbom and Brodin - two guys who might end up as solid 2nd pair dmen if things go right (but have major areas of weakness to work upon to get there) - are top-30 prospects?

craziness.

FUBAR McDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Luckily that guy is getting berated for those comments.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 10:04 PM
forthewild

there is no defensive prospect that has been drafted that i would take over brodin, that includes ryan murray and morgan rielly. who ever wrote this list is a dumbass, sorry for the language but Brodin has done nothing other then grow and progress.

seriously people, Nathan Beaulieu is ahead of brodin? based on what? oh yeah he plays in the CHL...

they better have Johan Larsson in there, they better have Matthew Hackett in there, holy crap, we have guys who win awards and lead teams to championships and they get snubbed over some scrubs...

Old
10-10-2012, 10:19 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

vCash: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I was just about to post a question about his ranking. Because when discussing prospects before, I remember a poster here asked if we'd be better off if San Jose drafted Etem over Coyle and that's who we got instead for Burns. And most posters here said Etem is one prospect who appears to be highly ranked in a lot of places but the Wild fans who replied, didn't think he'd amount to becoming anywhere close to his hype / ceiling.

I have never watched any Etem highlights but is that the general consensus here? That's he overhyped?

I will agree with other posters in this thread that Brodin should definitely be ranked a lot higher.

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:02 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
there is no defensive prospect that has been drafted that i would take over brodin, that includes ryan murray and morgan rielly. who ever wrote this list is a dumbass, sorry for the language but Brodin has done nothing other then grow and progress.

seriously people, Nathan Beaulieu is ahead of brodin? based on what? oh yeah he plays in the CHL...

they better have Johan Larsson in there, they better have Matthew Hackett in there, holy crap, we have guys who win awards and lead teams to championships and they get snubbed over some scrubs...
Lehner was ranked below Malcolm Subban and barely made the list at all. There's no way they put Hackett on the list.

Old
10-11-2012, 12:48 AM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
Because Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utterly Disgusting View Post
I have never watched any Etem highlights but is that the general consensus here? That's he overhyped?
Etem's a very speedy goal-scorer. A lot of people view him as boom-or-bust, and he could honestly go either way. It's easy to see how his skillset won't translate to the NHL, though.

Last edited by Minnesota: 10-11-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utterly Disgusting View Post
I was just about to post a question about his ranking. Because when discussing prospects before, I remember a poster here asked if we'd be better off if San Jose drafted Etem over Coyle and that's who we got instead for Burns. And most posters here said Etem is one prospect who appears to be highly ranked in a lot of places but the Wild fans who replied, didn't think he'd amount to becoming anywhere close to his hype / ceiling.

I will agree with other posters in this thread that Brodin should definitely be ranked a lot higher.
That was me who asked the question. And I still stick by my opinion that Etem is and will be a much better player than Coyle. Etem really resembles Malkin to me in the powerful way he skates and controls the game.

O and here are some highlights

By the way he scored 61 goals in 65 games for Medicine Hat in the WHL last year. No big deal.

On Brodin ranking: He just doesn't have the flashy upside that this pole seems to prefer.

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 10:34 AM
TZM
Par too easy

20-11. Dumba is #19.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 10:41 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

The Etem over-zealousness is only surpassed by the love for Jaden Schwartz...

I know many here watch the WCHA; Bjugstad comes in at #39 and Schwartz will be top 10. Anyone see that from the games they've seen? Would anyone swap Bjugstad for Schwartz? Hell, granted I'm a Sioux fan, but there's no way I'd trade Nelson as a prospect for Schwartz...

Last edited by this providence: 10-11-2012 at 10:46 AM.
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Yeah, Jaden Schwartz is one of the most overrated prospects out there.

Generic User is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 11:37 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
20-11. Dumba is #19.
dumba over brodin...

hell any dman in that group over brodin...

i guess getting complements from Niklas kronwall just isn't the same anymore, still tho its going to be funny when all these "experts" who underrate brodin have to swalow some crow.

Old
10-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Wow, Etem does look like Malkin when he's driving the net.

I still think Huberdeau is a little too high.

And yeah Brodin should be way ahead of Dumba.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote