HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT Thread Part V: Locks, Cocks, Fox, and Box And Two Smoking Barrels Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2012, 07:43 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
Pretty frightening thought

.... On second thought, I like it. I'm in.
I'm sure KU and a few other guys can do a 1 hour weekly segment on fitness and stuff.
I'll head up the nightly spiritual chat. Snowblind, haven't seen him in a while unless he changed his name, can head up the traffic jam hour rant and say angry things. Lots of people like good music here so that's covered. Gamings covered too. Bob can be our morning talk show host. He says a lot of stuff as evident by the almost 20000 posts but then he never gives you much info or details. Perfect for stalling people who are calling in for tickets to a concert and making them listen to commercials.
I will be doing some music selection and do the late night talk shows....lol

Old
10-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 263
I had a radio show for a local University and it was probably the best time I ever had.

Old
10-17-2012, 10:40 AM
blue425

Care about the food you put into your mouth?

Then click, read, and make your own decisions.

I find this especially disturbing:

Following previous stints as VP at Monsanto, lawyer for Monsanto, and administrator at the USDA, Michael Taylor, is now the chief commissioner of foods at the FDA. As chief commissioner, Taylor will be protecting all of us from dangerous food.

I'm sure he will have the public's best interest in his heart.

Old
10-17-2012, 11:45 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

KU how'd your workouts go today?

I did my normal M/W/F routine today... (On Friday's I do everything before breakfast)

Before breakfast:

35 pushups, 60 crunches, 35 inclined pushups (feet on a chair), 70 bicycle crunches, pushups to max (I usually get to around 30), 50 crunches with a 15lb dumbbell on my chest, 20 dumbbell (15lbs) bench presses (on the floor, but I try not to let my elbows hit the floor), 30 elbow to knee crunches.

[that sounds like a lot more than it is I feel like]

Then before lunch:

4 sets of 20 dumbbell curls (15lbs) with 35 seconds between sets.
3 sets 25 calf-raises with 15lbs dumbbells with 35 seconds between sets.

Then I up the weight and do

1 set of 30 calf raises (25lbs dumbbells in each hand) wait 35 seconds, 1 set of 40.
1 set of 15 dumbbell curls (25lbs) wait 35 seconds, 1 set to max.

I think it reads like a harder day than it is (or maybe I'm flattering myself? ) Sometimes I feel like I'm not doing enough because I'm not seeing the results I want yet and I've been doing this for quite some time now. I've finally broken the 140lbs barrier (I'm about 5'10" for reference) as I've been trying to eat more. I guess I need to just up my protein, maybe invest in shakes or bars at some point.

Any tips?

Old
10-17-2012, 12:25 PM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
KU how'd your workouts go today?

I did my normal M/W/F routine today... (On Friday's I do everything before breakfast)

Before breakfast:

35 pushups, 60 crunches, 35 inclined pushups (feet on a chair), 70 bicycle crunches, pushups to max (I usually get to around 30), 50 crunches with a 15lb dumbbell on my chest, 20 dumbbell (15lbs) bench presses (on the floor, but I try not to let my elbows hit the floor), 30 elbow to knee crunches.

[that sounds like a lot more than it is I feel like]

Then before lunch:

4 sets of 20 dumbbell curls (15lbs) with 35 seconds between sets.
3 sets 25 calf-raises with 15lbs dumbbells with 35 seconds between sets.

Then I up the weight and do

1 set of 30 calf raises (25lbs dumbbells in each hand) wait 35 seconds, 1 set of 40.
1 set of 15 dumbbell curls (25lbs) wait 35 seconds, 1 set to max.

I think it reads like a harder day than it is (or maybe I'm flattering myself? ) Sometimes I feel like I'm not doing enough because I'm not seeing the results I want yet and I've been doing this for quite some time now. I've finally broken the 140lbs barrier (I'm about 5'10" for reference) as I've been trying to eat more. I guess I need to just up my protein, maybe invest in shakes or bars at some point.

Any tips?
You could probably streamline that routine a little as some of it is redundant. Everything that follows is just my .02

You're doing three sets of push ups. I would lose one set and just do two sets to max, your choice of what type. You also have bench presses in there, but at 15 lbs it s probably O.K. Keep them if you really like them.

I would ditch crunches entirely and replace them with planks. There are lots of plank variations (I know of 8), they work your entire core, and they are much easier on your back than crunches.

Dumb bell curls. Up the weight and cut the sets. Same suggestion with the calf raises.

Seriously stay away from bars. **** is candy. Eat real food.

If you listen to anything at all I have suggested let it be the part about bars.

Good luck.

Last edited by blue425: 10-17-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old
10-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Social Distortion is such a good band

Old
10-17-2012, 07:44 PM
EmpireStateofMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
Care about the food you put into your mouth?

Then click, read, and make your own decisions.

I find this especially disturbing:

Following previous stints as VP at Monsanto, lawyer for Monsanto, and administrator at the USDA, Michael Taylor, is now the chief commissioner of foods at the FDA. As chief commissioner, Taylor will be protecting all of us from dangerous food.

I'm sure he will have the public's best interest in his heart.
I watched "The World According to Monsanto" about a week ago and I can't look at food the same way again. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who's interested in learning about GMO's. Or anyone who cares about what they eat, like you said.

Old
10-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
I have accepted that most of the food I eat is absolutely awful and that it would probably be outlawed by Geneva under normal circumstances.

<3 Pink slime.

10-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I have accepted that most of the food I eat is absolutely awful and that it would probably be outlawed by Geneva under normal circumstances.

<3 Pink slime.

Buy organic beef.

Old
10-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Hodgy OFWG
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Hodgy OFWG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post

Buy organic beef.
I hate the whole organic thing, I like the aspect of eating healthy, but just because they put the word 'organic' in front, doesn't mean you can charge 1/3 more

Old
10-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by o 16 Avery NYR o View Post
I hate the whole organic thing, I like the aspect of eating healthy, but just because they put the word 'organic' in front, doesn't mean you can charge 1/3 more
Organic foods don't have pink slime and GMOs, that's why they charge more.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Hodgy OFWG
New Season New Dream

Quote:
Organic foods don't have pink slime and GMOs, that's why they charge more.
still shenanigans to charge that much

Old
10-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Organic food is malarkey anyway.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Hodgy OFWG
New Season New Dream

Quote:

Old
10-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
still shenanigans to charge that much
I agree that it's expensive, but it's better for you than other processed foods.

Old
10-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

DMV tomorrow. Joy.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:49 AM
Cresto
Much .500

Quote:

Buy organic beef.

I'm a culinarian of sorts and organic is only as good as the regulation the FDA sets and regulations on organic and free range products are still very very loose and unspecified and even when they are specified, you'd be surprised at how easy it is to pass something off as organic. It's not categorical as logic would have it i.e., non-organic/organic. It's more along the lines of "Oh, this isn't entirely non-organic, so we'll go ahead and call this organic"

Old
10-18-2012, 12:54 AM
Cresto
Much .500

Quote:
+1/3 is actually a bargain for most "organic" products
The increased cost in producing organic as opposed to non-organic comes mostly from the adaptation costs of raising or growing "organic" products (and deviating from the traditional and established ways of production which have been refined in terms of efficiency, mass production and most importantly, cost of production). The demand also isn't there to lower the price of "organic" products.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:57 AM
Cresto
Much .500

Quote:
I doubt you have the time and mind for this but if you do, try and find local farms if there are any in your area. Local farms have products that are grown and raised without some of the morbid stuff that store bought products have. It actually costs around the same for way better quality and freshness.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:57 AM
Cresto
Much .500

Quote:
DMV tomorrow. Joy.
What'd you do?

Old
10-18-2012, 01:08 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
I doubt you have the time and mind for this but if you do, try and find local farms if there are any in your area. Local farms have products that are grown and raised without some of the morbid stuff that store bought products have. It actually costs around the same for way better quality and freshness.
For all the chemicals in food people complain about, they have helped feed more people than ever before.

Quote:
What'd you do?
My license has graduated. I need to upgrade like Beyonce.

Old
10-18-2012, 02:00 AM
Cresto
Much .500

Quote:
For all the chemicals in food people complain about, they have helped feed more people than ever before.

My license has graduated. I need to upgrade like Beyonce.
"For all the chemicals in food people complain about, they have helped feed more people than ever before." ??????

Upgrade simply through the front desk and filling out paper work or do you need to take another road test?

What's the "license age" in NY anyway? It's I believe....16 in Vancity.

Old
10-18-2012, 06:05 AM
Hodgy OFWG
New Season New Dream

Quote:
"For all the chemicals in food people complain about, they have helped feed more people than ever before." ??????

Upgrade simply through the front desk and filling out paper work or do you need to take another road test?

What's the "license age" in NY anyway? It's I believe....16 in Vancity.
16 permit, 17 license. You need to take drivers ed to get the senior license though

Old
10-18-2012, 06:19 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
16 permit, 17 license. You need to take drivers ed to get the senior license though
Then when you turn 18, you can "upgrade" to the basic license.

Old
10-18-2012, 08:32 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpireStateofMind View Post
I watched "The World According to Monsanto" about a week ago and I can't look at food the same way again. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who's interested in learning about GMO's. Or anyone who cares about what they eat, like you said.
I won't sit here and preach that GMO is bad for you. The truth is that I don't know because there has been no long term study to this point. However I feel there is enough evidence for me to not want to eat them.

Quote:
This type of response is part of the reason Americans are where they are health wise.

We want the biggest houses, the newest electronics, the best cars. And people are willing to pay top dollar for all of it. However when it comes to the food we eat people are willing to use the cheapest available options.

$1.99 eggs from chickens raised on crowded feed lots (and pumped full of drugs) are not the same quality as the $4-$5 eggs chickens raised on a pasture produce. If you believe that the $1.99 eggs are better tasting and better for you you must also think that a $10,000 car can match the performance of an $80,000 one.

You get what you pay for. Americans are willing to pay for quality everywhere except when it comes to what they eat.

Quote:
I'm a culinarian of sorts and organic is only as good as the regulation the FDA sets and regulations on organic and free range products are still very very loose and unspecified and even when they are specified, you'd be surprised at how easy it is to pass something off as organic. It's not categorical as logic would have it i.e., non-organic/organic. It's more along the lines of "Oh, this isn't entirely non-organic, so we'll go ahead and call this organic"
I've learned a bunch about these words recently:

Organic like you said is a sketchy one. Tread lightly.

Grass fed (when it comes to eggs) is another one. A company can literally raise chickens indoors, give them access to a 10x10 section of grass for 30 minutes a day, and can call them grass fed or organic.

Pastured. Now that is a money word. Pastured means that the animal was raised outdoors and was fed the things it is naturally meant to eat.

Quote:
Probably not a big surprise, but we do 95% of our shopping at farmers markets. I like the fact that I can look the person who made my food in the eye.

Closed Thread