HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm - det/stl

Old
10-11-2012, 12:32 AM
488fitter

vCash: 500
Edm - det/stl

Oilers need size to compliment their skill. Here are 2 trades that I think could benefit all parties...

A foundation of
gets Johan Franzen + ?
gets Nail Yakupov

Edmonton gives up elite skill to gain size and experience. Detroit gives up size for much needed youth that still provides a gritty style of play, and should mesh well with Datsyuk.

gets Patrik Berglund
get Sam Gagner

Lateral move perhaps, but I personally feel gagner is slightly more skilled and has a higher ceiling...but of course Berglund is the bigger body that might require compensation.

Franzen - Nuge - Eberle
Hall - Berglund - Hemsky

McDonald - Backes - Oshie
Steen - Gagner - Tarasenko/D'Agostini

Bertuzzi - Datsyuk - Yakupov
Fillpula - Zetterberg - Nyquist?

488fitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 12:33 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Why the heck would the Oilers trade Yakupov for Franzen?

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 12:35 AM
488fitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Why the heck would the Oilers trade Yakupov for Franzen?
I thought I made it clear that we need to get bigger. There is also a + next to Franzen.

Old
10-11-2012, 12:39 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

I don't think there's any amount of reasonable additions you can make to Franzen for him to be worth Yakupov. Franzen is a good player, but what else would Detroit add? Both teams need D, so that's out of the question, and the only other real need Edmonton has (besides goaltending, with the Wings can't help them with) is size up front, which Detroit would be lacking without Franzen. Just don't see how it would work.

P.S. I would wait and see how Yakupov works in EDM a bit before offering to trade him for inferior players. I feel like him and Hall will be electric together, so much speed and talent

As for the STL proposal, I think they kindly say no. Berglund is a very Hitchcock-type-player in that he is defensively sound, a quality which Gagner lacks. They also produce similar point totals, while Berglund is bigger and more defensive. I know you said there might be some additional compensation, but I think Berglund fits in St. Louis too well for a downgrade to be offset by a prospect or pick

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 12:43 AM
lakai17

vCash: 50
We all know the Blues say no to that proposal and Edmonton just won't hand away Yakupov for free, nothing against Franzen. We have Ryan Smyth still.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 12:44 AM
488fitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
I don't think there's any amount of reasonable additions you can make to Franzen for him to be worth Yakupov. Franzen is a good player, but what else would Detroit add? Both teams need D, so that's out of the question, and the only other real need Edmonton has (besides goaltending, with the Wings can't help them with) is size up front, which Detroit would be lacking without Franzen. Just don't see how it would work.

P.S. I would wait and see how Yakupov works in EDM a bit before offering to trade him for inferior players. I feel like him and Hall will be electric together, so much speed and talent

As for the STL proposal, I think they kindly say no. Berglund is a very Hitchcock-type-player in that he is defensively sound, a quality which Gagner lacks. They also produce similar point totals, while Berglund is bigger and more defensive. I know you said there might be some additional compensation, but I think Berglund fits in St. Louis too well for a downgrade to be offset by a prospect or pick
I'm just as excited to watch Yak light it up for the Oil as the next guy...I knew I would get some flack but just wanted to use someone that isn't named Hemsky, Paajarvi, Whitney, etc...(totally used Gagner) I think it would be a well balanced top 6 with Franzen is all. But yeah for the record I think Yak is gonna be dynamite.

Old
10-11-2012, 01:03 AM
lakai17

+ who? Mrazek? Jurco? Pulkkinen? Jarnkrok? Tatar? 1st round draft pick? Smith? Eriksson? I don't understand.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 01:12 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCountry84 View Post
I'm just as excited to watch Yak light it up for the Oil as the next guy...I knew I would get some flack but just wanted to use someone that isn't named Hemsky, Paajarvi, Whitney, etc...(totally used Gagner) I think it would be a well balanced top 6 with Franzen is all. But yeah for the record I think Yak is gonna be dynamite.
Props for being creative then. I don't see the problem with the same players being offered by fanbases in a thousand proposals as long as the proposals are reasonable. They invented the concept of "being on the trade block" for a reason; some players are just more likely to be moved.

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 01:15 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

I think Gagner has a worse reputation than he deserves because his production hasn't grown and he has played on a bad team. He's still a solid player. However, Berglund is a more valuable player. He has really started to blossom defensively, physically, and in protecting the puck. The Blues' system relies heavily on physical, defensive centermen and even if we magically give Gagner a ten+ point bump, it hurts the Blues to do this. And that's fantasy land. Gagner would probably do much worse on the Blues.

If the Blues are making a significant deal with Edmonton, other than the Oilers' four bigtime, young forwards (not happening), the only player that interests the Blues is Smid. And the Oilers probably wouldn't move him for the same reason the Blues aren't trading Berglund for anything but an upgrade at center: team needs.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 01:19 AM
oilersfan11

No way the Oilers trade Nail Yakupov for Johan Franzen.For the Oilers to get bigger,we'll trade Hemsky/Gagner before trading anyone in our top 4.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 01:24 AM
Whydidijoin*

No way Edmonton does the Yakupov deal. No way St Louis does the Berglund deal.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 01:39 AM
Qrispy

Hell no.

We want Franzen because of his size and experience? Really? Size is overrated and this so called experience failed us last season. (Horcoff, Belanger etc.)

You don't just throw away first overall picks, which is essentially what you're doing here.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 02:22 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
Hell no.

We want Franzen because of his size and experience? Really? Size is overrated and this so called experience failed us last season. (Horcoff, Belanger etc.)

You don't just throw away first overall picks, which is essentially what you're doing here.
Size is overrated, try to tell that to every team that played the LA Kings in the playoffs.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 02:55 AM
SirloinUB

For Yakupov id go all in!

Franzen, 1st, Nyquist.

SirloinUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 02:57 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
I thought I made it clear that we need to get bigger. There is also a + next to Franzen.
Why don't the Oilers just trade Nail Yakupov for a bodybuilder?

This is an insane reason to trade a no.1 pick. Yakupov very well could be better than Hall or Eberle.

You don't trade a Ferrari for a Honda CRV just because you figure the wife could use the trunk space for groceries. How big are Datsyuk or Zetterberg btw?

Last edited by Soundwave: 10-11-2012 at 03:02 AM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 03:10 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Franson + Smith would deserve serious consideration, but I don't think they could afford to further thin out their defense core.

Makes absolutely no sense for Blues fans to even consider that deal for half of a second.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 03:43 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

oilers do not touch the first deal and blues do not touch the second deal

Franzen is 33 years old and never topped 60pts, Yakupov has the potential to get a lot more and at 15 years younger no matter what the add is, oilers pass

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 05:09 AM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
That doesn't make the proposal any better. You don't trade away the consensus #1 overall pick, who you coincidentally drafted on the basis him being the best player available, for a package where the main piece is Johan Franzen.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 07:16 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
A foundation of
gets Johan Franzen + ?
gets Nail Yakupov

Edmonton gives up elite skill to gain size and experience. Detroit gives up size for much needed youth that still provides a gritty style of play, and should mesh well with Datsyuk.
Even as a Wings fan, I see that as painfully bad for Edmonton.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 07:37 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Franson + Smith would deserve serious consideration, but I don't think they could afford to further thin out their defense core.

Makes absolutely no sense for Blues fans to even consider that deal for half of a second.
He plays for Toronto...

... when he's not a healthy scratch, that is.

internetdotcom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 08:29 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Detroit makes out like bandits. Blues say they've seen this offer before and the answer is still a no.

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 08:57 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Oilers need size to compliment their skill. Here are 2 trades that I think could benefit all parties...

A foundation of
gets Johan Franzen + ?
gets Nail Yakupov

gets Patrik Berglund
get Sam Gagner

Lateral move perhaps, but I personally feel gagner is slightly more skilled and has a higher ceiling...but of course Berglund is the bigger body that might require compensation.

Franzen - Nuge - Eberle
Hall - Berglund - Hemsky

McDonald - Backes - Oshie
Steen - Gagner - Tarasenko/D'Agostini

Bertuzzi - Datsyuk - Yakupov
Fillpula - Zetterberg - Nyquist?
I love your videos but this is horrible. There is no plus that anyone in the league would throw in that would make Yakupov for a player like Franzen a good deal.

Keep the elite goal scorer and be happy. Coke machines aren't so hard to come by that you give up a #1 pick for them.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
I love your videos but this is horrible. There is no plus that anyone in the league would throw in that would make Yakupov for a player like Franzen a good deal.

Keep the elite goal scorer and be happy. Coke machines aren't so hard to come by that you give up a #1 pick for them.
If someone offered me a Coke Machine for Alexandre Daigle I would take it and run.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 09:27 AM
416Leafer

I'd take Berglund over Gagner.

And I think the Yakupov trade is a big waste of an asset for Edmonton. I do think that they should trade one of their 3 awesome young wingers. Wingers aren't as important as Centres/D/Goaltending, so it'd be better to spread the talent around.

So if I was Edmonton, I'd want to use one of those wingers as a trade chip to get a #1 D or at least a potential #1 D, not just another winger. Seems pointless.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 10:14 AM
SirPaste

Why would STL be trading Berglund for Gagner again?

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote