HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

The end of a (brief) era: John Farrell off to Boston in exchange for SS Mike Aviles

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2012, 06:57 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
Shaun Marcum would be a solid free agent pick-up, coming back to a team as a potential #3 guy in the rotation. No pressure, but could be a question mark coming off injury.

Do you think the Jays would approach the Josh Johnson route that was brought up throughout the year? I think he would be a solid #1 and could be had for fairly cheap, IMO. (this is relatively speaking of course)
Marcum's presumed to be in the mix as a possible #4 arm if Anthopolous strikes out with the Sanchez's and Haren's of the world as 2/3 options.

Johnson's certsinly a target, but... The reason Johnson's still in Florida right now is because the price is anything *but* cheap. He was known to be on the market from mid-season and nobody (Jays included) was willing to meet the Marlins' asking price. There's always a chance the price changes a bit in the off-season, I guess we'll see.

Old
10-12-2012, 08:20 AM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Marcum's presumed to be in the mix as a possible #4 arm if Anthopolous strikes out with the Sanchez's and Haren's of the world as 2/3 options.

Johnson's certsinly a target, but... The reason Johnson's still in Florida right now is because the price is anything *but* cheap. He was known to be on the market from mid-season and nobody (Jays included) was willing to meet the Marlins' asking price. There's always a chance the price changes a bit in the off-season, I guess we'll see.
I'm very worried about Haren coming to the Jays. I think that he will want a 5 year contract and the very simple fact that someone would come to Toronto through free agency would blind people's eyes about what is truly wrong.

Haren has pitched close to 2000 innings since the 2005 season. So that could be taken as he's durable (throwing 238.1 innings last year) or that he's bound to wear down. If I'm Toronto, I'm taking a cautious approach with him offering a guaranteed 1 year contract with an option. Johnson on the other hand hasn't really proven anything, so doesn't really justify the contract that he's getting.

Old
10-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
You have to be willing to take a chance. Don't you think Haren would be able to secure a longer term deal with another club? Heck, the Yankees are probably looking for arms.

If we picked up Haren and Marcum our rotation would be improved by a ton.

Morrow
Haren
Romero
Marcum
Happ/Alvarez

Old
10-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Keep in mind, Harens velocity and K/9 have been declining steadily over the last 3 seasons. He is clearly a declining player so expecting results from 2-3 years ago are no longer realistic. I would argue his days as a top of the rotation arm are now done and all that should be expected is a middle of the rotation guy, unfortunately he will likely ask for top shelf money.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Keep in mind, Harens velocity and K/9 have been declining steadily over the last 3 seasons. He is clearly a declining player so expecting results from 2-3 years ago are no longer realistic. I would argue his days as a top of the rotation arm are now done and all that should be expected is a middle of the rotation guy, unfortunately he will likely ask for top shelf money.
I wouldn't be signing him (or any FA) as a top-of-the-rotation guy, I'd be signing him as a #3. I still believe our best shot at getting a legit 1/2 to tag-team, with Morrow is through trade. Haren's declining numbers are precisely why I think he might be available for something closer to what the Jays (based on my projections) can reasonably afford. $12 million on a 3 year deal? Not sure that would get it done, but worth it for the Jays if they can get a controllable kid like Anderson with top stuff through trade.

Either way, I do think that adding someone of Haren's experience and makeup to the rotation is critical.

Morrow
Anderson (or someone comparable through trade)
Haren
Romero
Happ

If Haren manages to hold the line and Romero bounces back, that takes the Jays from a sad-sack staff to one of the top rotations in the AL, while leaving room in the budget to address their other holes.

Old
10-12-2012, 12:56 PM
God Says No

Quote:
I wouldn't be signing him (or any FA) as a top-of-the-rotation guy, I'd be signing him as a #3. I still believe our best shot at getting a legit 1/2 to tag-team, with Morrow is through trade. Haren's declining numbers are precisely why I think he might be available for something closer to what the Jays (based on my projections) can reasonably afford. $12 million on a 3 year deal? Not sure that would get it done, but worth it for the Jays if they can get a controllable kid like Anderson with top stuff through trade.

Either way, I do think that adding someone of Haren's experience and makeup to the rotation is critical.

Morrow
Anderson (or someone comparable through trade)
Haren
Romero
Happ

If Haren manages to hold the line and Romero bounces back, that takes the Jays from a sad-sack staff to one of the top rotations in the AL, while leaving room in the budget to address their other holes.
only an overpayment would get you anderson, as the a's have no reason to trade him. i don't know why you guys keep bringing him up.

Old
10-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Shaun Marcum would be a solid free agent pick-up, coming back to a team as a potential #3 guy in the rotation. No pressure, but could be a question mark coming off injury.

Do you think the Jays would approach the Josh Johnson route that was brought up throughout the year? I think he would be a solid #1 and could be had for fairly cheap, IMO. (this is relatively speaking of course)
I think Jays will definitely inquire on Josh Johnson but I don't know how serious they would be. There are plenty of FA options and I find it tough to see Jays giving up a lot for a guy with just 1 year left who could walk at the end of the year. Tough to sign him to a long-term extension for a guy with durability concerns.

Quote:
I'm very worried about Haren coming to the Jays. I think that he will want a 5 year contract and the very simple fact that someone would come to Toronto through free agency would blind people's eyes about what is truly wrong.

Haren has pitched close to 2000 innings since the 2005 season. So that could be taken as he's durable (throwing 238.1 innings last year) or that he's bound to wear down. If I'm Toronto, I'm taking a cautious approach with him offering a guaranteed 1 year contract with an option. Johnson on the other hand hasn't really proven anything, so doesn't really justify the contract that he's getting.
He probably won't get the 5 year contract after the season he had. Most likely something closer to 3-4 years... I'm not sure the amount of money teams would give him but probably something around 10-13M.

Quote:
Velocity wasn't in much of a decline until this year. Velocity does naturally decline over the years but he lost 1.5 of his fastball and he started to get hit harder because of it. I still think he can be a solid effective pitcher because he never used to be an overpowering pitcher. K/9 and BB/9 were similar to last year but his HR rate and hits went up. I think he will adjust though and learn to pitch with the velocity he has.

Nobody will be paying him ace type money (option wouldn't be getting declined if he were still a #1-2) but he can still be a #3 who is durable and eats a lot of innings. I think he would be a nice little veteran durable starter to have in the rotation.

Old
10-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Says No View Post
only an overpayment would get you anderson, as the a's have no reason to trade him. i don't know why you guys keep bringing him up.
I can't speak for others, but I bring him up as the kind of guy the Jays should be pursuing: a young, controllable guy with top-of-the-rotation upside. Of course that makes him hard to get (and even harder after his performance the pas few weeks), but anything's possible. When his name first came up in this forum, it was when he was coming back from his oblique injury, and there were questions about his durability and long-term upside, the hope (I imagine) being that those questions would keep his price tag within the realm of possibility.

Of course it doesn't have to be him, but whoever it is, as long as he fits that description, it's going to be someone the Jays have to pay heavily for. Fortunately I think they only need to make one or, at the most, two trades this winter combined with some judicious signings, so they've got the depth to "overpay" to get the right asset in place to really amp up this rotation.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:48 PM
God Says No

Quote:
I can't speak for others, but I bring him up as the kind of guy the Jays should be pursuing: a young, controllable guy with top-of-the-rotation upside. Of course that makes him hard to get (and even harder after his performance the pas few weeks), but anything's possible. When his name first came up in this forum, it was when he was coming back from his oblique injury, and there were questions about his durability and long-term upside, the hope (I imagine) being that those questions would keep his price tag within the realm of possibility.

Of course it doesn't have to be him, but whoever it is, as long as he fits that description, it's going to be someone the Jays have to pay heavily for. Fortunately I think they only need to make one or, at the most, two trades this winter combined with some judicious signings, so they've got the depth to "overpay" to get the right asset in place to really amp up this rotation.
ok, no problem. i'm an a's fan so i know a bit more about their situation and i don't see them trading anderson. but i could be wrong. billy bean has done some crazy out of the blue stuff before.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
ok, no problem. i'm an a's fan so i know a bit more about their situation and i don't see them trading anderson. but i could be wrong. billy bean has done some crazy out of the blue stuff before.
I don't see Beane moving him either, to be honest, though I expect just about anyone over 25 will move for the right price as they stock up futures for the move to San Diego. Guess we'll see.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
For Gonzalez, a 27-year-old who made $3,250,000 in 2012, the Athletics picked up left-hander Tommy Milone, 25, catcher Derek Norris, 23, plus prospects A.J. Cole and Brad Peacock.

Milone, who went 13-10 with a 3.74 ERA over 31 starts logging 190 innings, essentially replaced Gonzalez (21-9 with a 2.89 ERA over 32 starts logging 199 innings for the Nationals), while the emergence of Norris (.201/.276/.349 with seven homers and 34 RBIs in 60 games) allowed the Athletics to part with veteran Kurt Suzuki during mid-season.

There are significant savings to the Athletics on all fronts while Cole and Peacock provide depth and potential for the future.
Quote:
The same goes with the deal for Cahill, a 24-year-old who made $3.5 million.

For him and lefty reliever Craig Breslow, Oakland picked up Jarrod Parker, the 23-year-old who went 13-8 with a 3.47 ERA over 29 starts and 181.1 innings, 25-year-old reliever Ryan Cook, who was 6-2 with 14 saves and a 2.09 ERA in 71 games, and outfielder Collin Cowgill, a 26-year-old who batted .269/.336/.317 with a homer and nine RBIs in 38 games.

While Cahill had a solid season for the Diamondbacks, going 13-12 with a 3.78 ERA over 32 starts and 200 innings, things didnít go to plan as Arizona finished 81-81 and failed to defend the NL West title.
Quote:
Same thing goes for the Red Sox, who paid the 28-year-old Bailey $3.9 million to go 1-1 with a 7.04 ERA and six saves in 19 games after he missed most of the season following thumb surgery.

In that trade, which also sent Ryan Sweeney to Boston, the Athletics acquired outfielder Josh Reddick, the 25-year-old right-fielder who led them with 32 homers and 85 RBIs, plus prospects Miles Head and Raul Alcantara.

Thatís three deals that positioned Oakland to succeed in 2012 and potentially into the future, as well, a crafty bit of wheeling and dealing that should give teams like the Blue Jays pause this winter before they break the bank for a similar type of arm.
Quote:
The Blue Jays can also lament losing out on Latos, the 24-year-old who made $550,000 in his final pre-arbitration season and went 14-4 with a 3.48 ERA over 33 starts and 209.1 innings for the Reds.

Itís unknown what the Jays offered San Diego, but the Padres picked up four players in that trade Ė starter Edinson Volquez, first baseman Yonder Alonso, catcher Yasmani Grandal, and reliever Brad Boxberger Ė who all played for them this season.

Volquez, 28, went 11-11 with a 4.14 ERA in in 32 starts over 182.2 innings, Alonso, 25, posted a .273/.348/.393 slash line with nine homers and 62 RBIs in 155 games, Grandal, 23, batted .297/.394/.469 with eight homers and 36 RBIs in 60 games while Boxberger, 24, posted a 2.60 ERA in 24 games while striking out 10.7 batters per nine innings.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201...plans_go_awry/

Yeah, so maybe we should be extra careful in dealing for pitchers. You could probably live with the Gio trade but the rest of the trades are, wow. That Cahill deal is absolutely nuts. Bailey to Red Sox trade turning out bad doesn't surprise me, its what I expected. Cinci could probably live with the trade too since they did deal from a position of strength but Grandal looks like he is going to be a stud (they probably wish they kept him) but Latos did help them get to the playoffs.

Quote:
They were in on both the talks for Bailey (for a package likely to have centred around Travis Snider and a top pitching prospect) and Gonzalez (likely built around Henderson Alvarez, Kyle Drabek and Drew Hutchison, plus catching prospect Travis díArnaud and one of the Lansing Big Three, Aaron Sanchez, Noah Syndergaard and Justin Nicolino). Ultimately, GM Alex Anthopoulos opted to trade for closer Sergio Santos (the White Sox got pitching prospect Nestor Molina) and stand pat on the pitching front.
Also found that little nugget in the article. I can't imagine that's right... I mean those two proposals are beyond overpayments. If it is... Jesus. Thank god for not doing it.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post

Yeah, so maybe we should be extra careful in dealing for pitchers. You could probably live with the Gio trade but the rest of the trades are, wow. That Cahill deal is absolutely nuts. Bailey to Red Sox trade turning out bad doesn't surprise me, its what I expected. Cinci could probably live with the trade too since they did deal from a position of strength but Grandal looks like he is going to be a stud (they probably wish they kept him) but Latos did help them get to the playoffs.

Also found that little nugget in the article. I can't imagine that's right... I mean those two proposals are beyond overpayments. If it is... Jesus. Thank god for not doing it.
Yea, thats why im a pretty big fan of going hard after Anibal Sanchez and Edwin Jackson and dump 90 Million over 6 years and 65-75 million over 5 years respectively. Saves our system while giving us the boost in the rotation we badly need.

Old
10-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Eyedea
96 from the left

vCash: 350
Quote:

I think Cinci will be fine in the long run. Hannigan has held his own as the Reds starting C and Mesoraco can slide in well as a backup and learn from Him. By the time he takes over as the full time catcher Barnhart will be ready to serve as the backup.

Old
10-12-2012, 04:34 PM
weems

Quote:

I dont see a thing wrong with the Latos deal from the Reds pov.
Grandal is the only one who really projects into a above average player and they already had Mesoraco who was considered by scouts the better prospect. Latos is still only 24 years old and has room to even get better. I'f im the Reds I do that deal everyday of the week.

Old
10-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Yea, thats why im a pretty big fan of going hard after Anibal Sanchez and Edwin Jackson and dump 90 Million over 6 years and 65-75 million over 5 years respectively. Saves our system while giving us the boost in the rotation we badly need.
Divvy them out however we choose, we're still looking at having to make a couple of trades to fill holes, on top of adding two or three FA signings.

I personally don't like the idea of spending top dollar to add two pitchers neither of whom are really 1-2 guys. That leaves little in the war chest to add an impact bat... I expect to sign one pitcher, but I don't see a way to add a true top-of-the-rotation arm except through trade.

Old
10-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Divvy them out however we choose, we're still looking at having to make a couple of trades to fill holes, on top of adding two or three FA signings.

I personally don't like the idea of spending top dollar to add two pitchers neither of whom are really 1-2 guys. That leaves little in the war chest to add an impact bat... I expect to sign one pitcher, but I don't see a way to add a true top-of-the-rotation arm except through trade.
With the new TV deal kicking in 2014 I don't think $ will be an issue.

Old
10-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Dave Perkins on PTS pointed out that Nick Swisher is something like 1-for-36 with RISP in playoff games. I like the idea of signing him less and less.

Gimme Ortiz and one of Bourne/Pagan/Victorino, please!

Old
10-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
With the new TV deal kicking in 2014 I don't think $ will be an issue.
A rising tide lifts all boats. If every team is getting the reported $52 million bump, it just raises the price of all free agents across the board. Money will continue to be an issue.

Old
10-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Dave Perkins on PTS pointed out that Nick Swisher is something like 1-for-36 with RISP in playoff games. I like the idea of signing him less and less.

Gimme Ortiz and one of Bourne/Pagan/Victorino, please!
I didn't realize Bourn was an FA this year. Would give us a legitimate lead-off guy. Lawrie has done an ok job but he's much better suited as a #2, or #4, #5 down the road.

Old
10-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
Quote:
He probably won't get the 5 year contract after the season he had. Most likely something closer to 3-4 years... I'm not sure the amount of money teams would give him but probably something around 10-13M.
A 4 year, 40-45 million dollar deal for a pitcher like Haren is an absolute bargain if that's what you are suggesting.

Quote:
Velocity wasn't in much of a decline until this year. Velocity does naturally decline over the years but he lost 1.5 of his fastball and he started to get hit harder because of it. I still think he can be a solid effective pitcher because he never used to be an overpowering pitcher. K/9 and BB/9 were similar to last year but his HR rate and hits went up. I think he will adjust though and learn to pitch with the velocity he has.
Haren's fastball isn't his best pitch, it usually just follows up with his off-speed stuff. And as you said, velocity is not nearly a big deal to Haren. He's one of the few pitchers in baseball who can easily strike you out without relying on a fastball or a perennial go-to-pitch.

I fail to see how a decline in fastball velocity (89.8 to 88.5) suddenly makes everyone throw in a white flag.

Quote:
Nobody will be paying him ace type money (option wouldn't be getting declined if he were still a #1-2) but he can still be a #3 who is durable and eats a lot of innings. I think he would be a nice little veteran durable starter to have in the rotation.
The Angels are declining him because a) they feel the money could be worked out with Grienke and b) Haren has made it known he likes to play for his hometown team, and is open to the possibility of signing long-term at a reduced price. In other words, he's made it known that it's not all about money to him.

I fail to see how based on the premise of the Angels declining his option that he is suddenly a #3 pitcher. The dude was a top 15 pitcher in baseball before this season.

Quote:
Paying 15 million a year for two #3 pitchers is a joke right?

If you have a chance at any front-of-the-line pitcher, who you feel fits the ballclub you make that trade irregardless of the system.

Quote:
''A's have no reason to trade him'' is false. If the A's are not looking to upgrade offensively, or if they were happy with one magical regular reason run into the playoffs, then I would tend to agree. However, I don't think either of those are true.

Quote:
1) How is Haren a number 3 pitcher? If you are basing it off this season, then please explain how a pitcher can go from being a top 15 pitcher in baseball to a number 3 pitcher in one season, in which he had back problems.

2) How is Haren exactly declining, with his 'declining numbers'? Again, if you are basing it off this season, then please explain why I cannot just take this season as a statistical anomaly from Haren being one of the most consistent pitchers in baseball prior to this year. If it's fastball velocity, then why does a pitcher who never relies on over-powering hitters and who tops out at 91 mph suddenly need his fastball to be successful?

Quote:
Agreed. I think adding him is the best move the Jays' can make rotation-wise.

Quote:
Fastball: 90.5, 89.8, 88.5
K/9: 8.27, 7.25, 7.23

Other than the fastball velocity, Haren's k/9 are not even the lowest of his career... And I have already mentioned his fastball velocity can be partly attributed to his back injury, that is if you think the 1.5 mph difference is a big deal. And if you do, you really don't understand how Haren pitches.

Quote:
He is clearly a declining player so expecting results from 2-3 years ago are no longer realistic.
That is false. What about the year before this season? A 6.1 WAR, 3.17 ERA, 2.98 FIP, is a bad thing? Go back till 2005 and you will see his numbers are more in line with the year before this one, than this season. So to suggest he's declining really, because of this season is just flat out wrong.

Quote:
I would argue his days as a top of the rotation arm are now done and all that should be expected is a middle of the rotation guy, unfortunately he will likely ask for top shelf money.
Please argue that; I would love to see it, especially because you want Edwin Jackson at a sickening contract.

Quote:
The Jays, if what management says is correct, should have some notable free-agents coming here this winter, so I am not sure what is truly wrong, as you say.

Quote:
has pitched close to 2000 innings since the 2005 season. So that could be taken as he's durable (throwing 238.1 innings last year) or that he's bound to wear down. If I'm Toronto, I'm taking a cautious approach with him offering a guaranteed 1 year contract with an option. Johnson on the other hand hasn't really proven anything, so doesn't really justify the contract that he's getting.
1) First sentence is true. But that's the gamble with free-agents.

2) Those durability issues are not strong enough to justify such a safe-contract. A pitcher who is 38 could get a 1 year contract with an option; why would Haren settle for that when he is durable, experienced, and an ace as well as not being 38!

Old
10-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
I didn't realize Bourn was an FA this year. Would give us a legitimate lead-off guy. Lawrie has done an ok job but he's much better suited as a #2, or #4, #5 down the road.
Precisely. Any of the guys I mentioned would be good lead-off options. I'd ideally want to groom Lawrie to bat second in the order, but he needs to undo the damage Murphy (arguably) did to his plate approach this season and get on base more (and then make better decisions on the basepaths).

Old
10-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
1) How is Haren a number 3 pitcher? If you are basing it off this season, then please explain how a pitcher can go from being a top 15 pitcher in baseball to a number 3 pitcher in one season, in which he had back problems.

2) How is Haren exactly declining, with his 'declining numbers'?
Caught me, I was accepting Woodman's position at face value, as I hadn't looked too closely into the numbers myself. . (Sorry to throw you under the bus there, Woody!).

If Haren wants to stay in LA, it's pretty much moot. But the thought (the hope, really) was that if there was substance to a decline, it might bring him within reach of the Jays as a stabilizing influence to the rest of the staff, who might benefit from watching a real pitcher (as opposed to a thrower) do his thing.

Last edited by Ohio Jones: 10-12-2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Typos
Old
10-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
Man, the Blue Jays need to make the post-season sometime soon, I'm sick and tired of picking playoff teams and watching them get kicked out by the Yankees. Man do I hate the Yankees.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Old
10-12-2012, 09:40 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
''A's have no reason to trade him'' is false. If the A's are not looking to upgrade offensively, or if they were happy with one magical regular reason run into the playoffs, then I would tend to agree. However, I don't think either of those are true.
false

if they do upgrade offensively it won't be at cost of anderson. he's the closest we have to an 'ace'.

if you don't believe me just read this:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_oak

basically says that there will mostly be additions and not subtractions.

i don't see what you guys (the jays) would offer in that would be so enticing for the a's to even think about trading anderson. and no, yunel is not it.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Caught me, I was accepting Woodman's position at face value, as I hadn't looked too closely into the numbers myself. . (Sorry to throw you under the bus there, Woody!).

If Haren wants to stay in LA, it's pretty much moot. But the thought (the hope, really) was that if there was substance to a decline, it might bring him within reach of the Jays as a stabilizing influence to the rest of the staff, who might benefit from watching a real pitcher (as opposed to a thrower) do his thing.
Its alright, Discussion is what we are all here for.

Closed Thread