HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The end of a (brief) era: John Farrell off to Boston in exchange for SS Mike Aviles

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Leafssss

vCash: 500
The loss of Aviles is not an insignificant one for the Red Sox, according to the*Boston Globe's Pete Abraham. Aviles could have been a solid player off the bench next season, capable of backing up three infield positions and even playing some outfield, plus*he*was one of the most professional and accountable players on the team, setting an example for the young players, writes Abraham.

Off MLBTR

I find the last part interesting.

Old
10-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
The loss of Aviles is not an insignificant one for the Red Sox, according to the*Boston Globe's Pete Abraham. Aviles could have been a solid player off the bench next season, capable of backing up three infield positions and even playing some outfield, plus*he*was one of the most professional and accountable players on the team, setting an example for the young players, writes Abraham.

Off MLBTR

I find the last part interesting.
Yep, great addition to the clubhouse. Now all we need is a coach with a commanding presence while also having the respect of players.

Old
10-21-2012, 04:37 PM
RayzorIsDull

So last year the Sox wanted Farrell and the Jays said it would cost Buchholz or Bard. Fast forward a year and it's Aviles. I guess that's buying low or selling low depending on how you view it.

Old
10-21-2012, 04:40 PM
DatsyukianDeke*
Dangle Dangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by YunelYESco View Post
Some of you guys are delusional. All year everyone b**ches and moans complaining about JF. After every loss blaming him for his mistakes and saying "Fire JF". So we finally get rid of him and your mad cause we didn't get a star?! I'm happy what we got, considering how poor JF has been as a Manager.
This post needs more love. This is exactly what 50% of the GDT threads consisted of, everyone wanted JF gone and we would have got nothing. At least we got something for him..

Old
10-21-2012, 04:42 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukianDeke View Post
This post needs more love. This is exactly what 50% of the GDT threads consisted of, everyone wanted JF gone and we would have got nothing. At least we got something for him..
I wasn't a big Farrell fan but I wasn't ready to cut him loose. I got the idea he didn't have the support from AA and his ship was sunk.

Old
10-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Wallach is another good candidate that has been mentioned so far. Honestly, there's so many good options out there I feel like just getting rid of Farrell helped spark the club. Aviles is just a bonus in this. Possibly the only two guys that I don't want to see roaming around the Blue Jays dugout is Bobby V and Manny Acta.

Old
10-21-2012, 05:02 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I wasn't a big Farrell fan but I wasn't ready to cut him loose. I got the idea he didn't have the support from AA and his ship was sunk.
But would you have been willing to give Farrell a multi-year extension to keep him?

Old
10-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 905
I am pulling for Fasano and his 'stache.

Old
10-21-2012, 05:21 PM
showtime8

Quote:
So last year the Sox wanted Farrell and the Jays said it would cost Buchholz or Bard. Fast forward a year and it's Aviles. I guess that's buying low or selling low depending on how you view it.
The Jays asked for Buckholz, but the Red Sox wouldn't accept that trade.

Farrell pushed the hands of the Jays and its not like they could shop him elsewhere to other teams that were looking for a manager. Aviles could be a solid 2B for the Jays.

Old
10-21-2012, 05:35 PM
shully
Night's Watch

Quote:
Did you even read any of the reports? Farrell said the Red Sox job was his dream job, so AA let him go. Hardly seems like AA trying to cut him loose

Old
10-21-2012, 05:39 PM
weems

Quote:
I'm glad to see him gone.

He was a pitching coach that while in Toronto the pitching staff walked a ******** of guys and gave up a ton of HR's while having a very good pitcher in Romero totally fall off the cliff. His teams played INCREDIBLY reckless, making numerous errors on the basepatchs, not being on the same page with hit and runs and just overall coming across as a stupid team. You have guys like Lawrie throwing helmets, Escobar doing what he did and many others complaining routinely on calls to umpires. Then you have 2 vets in Vizquel and Frasor basically come out and say the culture needs to change and theres needs to be more accountability and essentially thats the managers responsibility.

I didnt even get into Farrell's question ingame managing but really he's looked like a very weak manager the past 2 seasons.

Old
10-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Dr.Funk

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Blue Jays "will look to trade" Yunel Escobar this offseason.

https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/sta...84926026764288

Old
10-21-2012, 05:54 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk View Post
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Blue Jays "will look to trade" Yunel Escobar this offseason.

https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/sta...84926026764288
SHOCKING!!!

Old
10-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Gike Bagpipe
Haemorrhaging syrup

Quote:
I read that JF wanted to cut OV in june/july and AA wouldn't let him do it, he said that it would be done after the Jays season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Wallach is another good candidate that has been mentioned so far. Honestly, there's so many good options out there I feel like just getting rid of Farrell helped spark the club. Aviles is just a bonus in this. Possibly the only two guys that I don't want to see roaming around the Blue Jays dugout is Bobby V and Manny Acta.
Tim Wallach?? Well if so he would know about how it is to play in Canada.

Old
10-21-2012, 06:55 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by shully View Post
Did you even read any of the reports? Farrell said the Red Sox job was his dream job, so AA let him go. Hardly seems like AA trying to cut him loose
If Farrell had success this year do you think he would be looking to jump ship?

Old
10-21-2012, 06:58 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
I'm glad to see him gone.

He was a pitching coach that while in Toronto the pitching staff walked a ******** of guys and gave up a ton of HR's while having a very good pitcher in Romero totally fall off the cliff. His teams played INCREDIBLY reckless, making numerous errors on the basepatchs, not being on the same page with hit and runs and just overall coming across as a stupid team. You have guys like Lawrie throwing helmets, Escobar doing what he did and many others complaining routinely on calls to umpires. Then you have 2 vets in Vizquel and Frasor basically come out and say the culture needs to change and theres needs to be more accountability and essentially thats the managers responsibility.

I didnt even get into Farrell's question ingame managing but really he's looked like a very weak manager the past 2 seasons.
I don't deny anything you say and agree with your points but who's to say that Farrell couldn't be the bad cop and be a forceful hand? Remember AA is the one that hired Farrell. Is AA going to hire a manager that's going to be a forceful hand and set the tone or is he going to get a babysitter?

Old
10-21-2012, 07:05 PM
Shimso

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Yeah, that's a recipe for success.
I'm 99% sure he means Boston because it was rumoured that Cherington wasn't going to give up **** for JF and would pick Ausmus instead whereas RedSox ownership was bent on getting JF.

It makes zero sense that Rogers would have any part in trading a manager.

Old
10-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimso View Post
I'm 99% sure he means Boston because it was rumoured that Cherington wasn't going to give up **** for JF and would pick Ausmus instead whereas RedSox ownership was bent on getting JF.

It makes zero sense that Rogers would have any part in trading a manager.
Wasn't also their ownership's brilliant idea to hire Valentine?

Old
10-21-2012, 07:35 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Aviles isn't very good. It's only a good trade if you think you can get better than Farrell.
Aviles is fine and Farrell is garbage so no worries on doing better than him.

Old
10-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Drew311
Shanahanigans

Two questions:

Will AA go after Lincecum this offseason (rumored to be on the block)?

Would Jays fans be cool with AA giving up top assets for a guy with obvious mechanical issues and only one year left on his contract?

Old
10-21-2012, 08:02 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Two questions:

Would Jays fans be cool with AA giving up top assets for a guy with obvious mechanical issues and only one year left on his contract?
Doubtful. And no.

Old
10-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Two questions:

No. Big money + declining player. No to the second part as well.

Old
10-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Drew311
Shanahanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
No. Big money + declining player. No to the second part as well.
I agree with the money issue, but AA loves his reclamation projects. If he can get Lincecum for the right price I wouldn't be opposed to it. At least Farrell wont be there to screw him up any further.

Old
10-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
I agree with the money issue, but AA loves his reclamation projects. If he can get Lincecum for the right price I wouldn't be opposed to it. At least Farrell wont be there to screw him up any further.
AA has targeted players like Yunel and Colby who had a bad year and it was an opportunity to buy low. When AA got those guys, he was expecting what they had produced earlier in their career and they could do it because there wasn't things that were physically wrong with them. If he picks up Lincecum, you know you are not picking up the guy he once was. There are better options on the open market.

Old
10-21-2012, 08:22 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

good we only lost carpenter
and it sounds like aviles will replace kelly johnson at 2b (for now

Closed Thread