HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Sebastian Collberg - (Part II: The Collberg Report) Joins Hamilton

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
. The kid should be playing junior hockey in Canada.
He's playing in a much better league as it is, so I am not sure what the point would be to switch to a lower tier league. That would make absolutely no sense at all.

If you would have seen him play in more than just a handful of games, you wouldn't be saying that you think he's "nothing special". He's a 19 year old that's playing in a pro league. If you only look at his stats (which I assume is what you did) you will probably get a confused idea of his skill level. With the new coach in Frolunda, and Collberg finally getting decent ice time, he's been progressing nicely.

Next time you should probably watch more than a few games before forming your opinion on someone, or dismissing them as you did.

Last edited by Dr Gonzo: 03-06-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old
03-06-2013, 10:27 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
He's playing in a much better league as it is, so I am not sure what the point would be to switch to a lower tier league. That would make absolutely no sense at all.

If you would have seen him play in more than just a handful of games, you wouldn't be saying that you think he's "nothing special". He's a 19 year old that's playing in a pro league. If you only look at his stats (which I assume is what you did) you will probably get a confused idea of his skill level. With the new coach in Frolunda, and Collberg finally getting decent ice time, he's been progressing nicely.

Next time you should probably watch more than a few games before forming your opinion on someone, or dismissing them as you did.
Did Ronnberg officially take over already? Or did the assistant coach take over?

Old
03-06-2013, 10:50 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Did Ronnberg officially take over already? Or did the assistant coach take over?
No, Johansson is still coaching but Collberg is now playing on the second line.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Not yet, but he will be next year, which is one of the reasons I am happy Collberg signed an extension with Frolunda.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:13 AM
KadoCH

He just needs to play somewhere he gets time on the ice.

35 games playing 8:35/gm isn't good for his development.

Very hopeful things really do change up next year.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:35 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Not yet, but he will be next year, which is one of the reasons I am happy Collberg signed an extension with Frolunda.
That's what I had thought. I think that's probably the best development strategy for him.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadoCH View Post
He just needs to play somewhere he gets time on the ice.

35 games playing 8:35/gm isn't good for his development.

Very hopeful things really do change up next year.
He wasn't playing much at all in the early stages of the season. Plus, for some reason if you are a healthy scratch it still shows up as a game played in the SEL, so I think those TOI numbers are skewed.

That being said, he's now getting decent ice time (2nd line), and his coach next season is the Swedish Jr. national team coach, which means good things for Collberg next year.

Quote:
That's what I had thought. I think that's probably the best development strategy for him.
Absolutely. He'll be 20, his 3rd year in the pros and with a coach that likes him. It bodes very well for him.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:40 PM
KRM

Quote:
He wasn't playing much at all in the early stages of the season. Plus, for some reason if you are a healthy scratch it still shows up as a game played in the SEL, so I think those TOI numbers are skewed.
You have to be dressed and in the line up, but you don't have to play a shift to get a game played. Remember that with the IIHF rules teams can dress dress 20 skater, thus often having an extra defenceman and forward in the lineup but not playing them unless someone gets injured.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
You have to be dressed and in the line up, but you don't have to play a shift to get a game played. Remember that with the IIHF rules teams can dress dress 20 skater, thus often having an extra defenceman and forward in the lineup but not playing them unless someone gets injured.
Oh wow, ok. That explains plenty.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Et le But

I'm not thrilled with how Collberg was handled this year, even since he has started to get playing time it seems to me there's a lot of line mixing which has hurt him, but at this point playing in the CHL wouldn't prove much besides getting him comfortable with North American ice. We already know he can dominate against his age group, even with an injury he was a PP beast in the WJC.

Besides that, Swedes in the CHL have a poor track record. Let him develop in Sweden like 9/10 Swedish stars do, and if he has what it takes he will be fine.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:16 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I'm not thrilled with how Collberg was handled this year, even since he has started to get playing time it seems to me there's a lot of line mixing which has hurt him, but at this point playing in the CHL wouldn't prove much besides getting him comfortable with North American ice. We already know he can dominate against his age group, even with an injury he was a PP beast in the WJC.

Besides that, Swedes in the CHL have a poor track record. Let him develop in Sweden like 9/10 Swedish stars do, and if he has what it takes he will be fine.
I'm probably Kenta Johanssons biggest critic, I absolutely loathed the firing of Dahlén and signing of Johansson instead. But at the start of the season Collberg didn't do much to earn his ice time. Collberg has developed a lot during the season and is playing with much more confidence since the Allsvenskan stint and the WJC. And that is reflected in his ice time as well. He has now taken over Brunnström spot on the second line, Brunnström being one of the most expensive players on the team and had first line duty at the beginning of the season. That says a lot.

And I don't see getting accustomed to North American ice being a problem in the future. When he's ready I believe he'll be able to step right in to the NHL, but I think that's two seasons away from happening (sign with Habs next summer and loaned back to Frölunda for the first years, not burning a year of his ELC). Collberg's game is suited for the smaller ice surface, I think it'll be a smooth transition for him. Look at a young prospect like Rundblad for example, he tore the SEL apart but it was obvious that he'd never be able to play the way he did here, in the NHL. Collberg is the opposite, he isn't producing much right now but learning to play good defensive hockey* and how to handle playing against bigger, stronger players in a men's league. With prime PP time he would've produced more points, and that's where I'm really disappointed that he hasn't been used to his strengths more. But while the points have been scarce he is developing into a much more well rounded hockey player, at a very nice pace.

*Collberg is IMO quite useful on the forecheck, play along the boards, and playing defensively in the neutral zone, but has a long way to go on his defensive zone awareness.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Et le But

Quote:
I'm probably Kenta Johanssons biggest critic, I absolutely loathed the firing of Dahlén and signing of Johansson instead. But at the start of the season Collberg didn't do much to earn his ice time. Collberg has developed a lot during the season and is playing with much more confidence since the Allsvenskan stint and the WJC. And that is reflected in his ice time as well. He has now taken over Brunnström spot on the second line, Brunnström being one of the most expensive players on the team and had first line duty at the beginning of the season. That says a lot.

And I don't see getting accustomed to North American ice being a problem in the future. When he's ready I believe he'll be able to step right in to the NHL, but I think that's two seasons away from happening (sign with Habs next summer and loaned back to Frölunda for the first years, not burning a year of his ELC). Collberg's game is suited for the smaller ice surface, I think it'll be a smooth transition for him. Look at a young prospect like Rundblad for example, he tore the SEL apart but it was obvious that he'd never be able to play the way he did here, in the NHL. Collberg is the opposite, he isn't producing much right now but learning to play good defensive hockey* and how to handle playing against bigger, stronger players in a men's league. With prime PP time he would've produced more points, and that's where I'm really disappointed that he hasn't been used to his strengths more. But while the points have been scarce he is developing into a much more well rounded hockey player, at a very nice pace.

*Collberg is IMO quite useful on the forecheck, play along the boards, and playing defensively in the neutral zone, but has a long way to go on his defensive zone awareness.

Well said, I pretty much agree with all you are saying. These growing pains should be good for Collberg in the long run. I wish he would take advantage of his PP time more but he should be working on his 5 on 5 game anyway.

I sort of agree with the goal to bring him over in two years, though by next year it'll be fair to be more critical with his production.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Quote:
When he's ready I believe he'll be able to step right in to the NHL, but I think that's two seasons away from happening (sign with Habs next summer and loaned back to Frölunda for the first years, not burning a year of his ELC).
A player needs to be junior-aged for the ELC not to be activated. Collberg will be 20 next summer.

Quote:
Collberg is IMO quite useful on the forecheck, play along the boards, and playing defensively in the neutral zone, but has a long way to go on his defensive zone awareness.
I don't agree on his forechecking ability, it's not good. D-men can still evade him too easily. He needs to read their movements better and force them to play the puck on their backhand. He can backcheck really well, though.

Old
03-11-2013, 07:37 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Looks like he's scratched for Game 1 (Wednesday, Noon ET).

Old
03-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Looks like he's scratched for Game 1 (Wednesday, Noon ET).
WTF? He was a regular since returning from the WJC and playing 10-14 minutes a night. What gives?

Old
03-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
WTF? He was a regular since returning from the WJC and playing 10-14 minutes a night. What gives?
No shootouts in playoffs.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:36 PM
KRM

Before our former GM Kent Norberg got canned he made sure Frölunda would go through hell by giving Kenta Johansson a three year contract.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

No, he's back in the lineup again as #13, since Rydahl will play with the U20 team instead. You guys should draft that guy, he's a physial beast who can run his mouth as well.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

But can he fight?

Old
03-13-2013, 05:39 PM
KRM

Played some four, five minutes, did very good with the little time he got. Sjöström likely out for the season and P.J. Axelsson also suffered an injury so ice time likely to increase for next game.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Collberg is set to play with Brunnstrom and Olimb in Game 2 (Friday, Noon ET).

Old
03-14-2013, 07:10 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Is that top6?

Old
03-14-2013, 07:11 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Is that top6?
Yea, second line.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Yea, second line.

What's your take on Collberg this year? what could he be? and is there any areas of his game that are weak/not nhl ready?

Old
03-14-2013, 08:11 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Finally! Hope he impresses.

Closed Thread