HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Hockey Canada bans bodychecking in Pee-wee hockey

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-25-2013, 01:10 PM
  #1
Tinalera
Registered User
 
Tinalera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Known Universe
Posts: 6,102
vCash: 500
Hockey Canada bans bodychecking in Pee-wee hockey

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...g-pee-wee.html

Mods, I thought there was a related thread, couldn't find it, though my mind is clouded-merge as appropriate.

From what the article says, no bodychecking for anyone under 13. I know this has been a discussion going on for a while now, but with Hockey Canada making this across the board, what affects will it have on the game?

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 03:45 PM
  #2
Pyrophorus
Registered User
 
Pyrophorus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,654
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Cherryists are lambasting people in Twitter

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 04:31 PM
  #3
Free Torts
Registered User
 
Free Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,455
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Good. About time.

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 06:38 PM
  #4
Tinalera
Registered User
 
Tinalera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Known Universe
Posts: 6,102
vCash: 500
Keeping in with the business side of things, I wonder if there's a link here. Seems that there's articles and talk about how Canadians aren't enrolling in hockey, and yes the debate of whether the numbers jive or not goes on.

My angle on it though, how much of this is Hockey Canada trying to get more parents to buy the equipment/enroll by possibly removing an aspect that optically would encourage more parents to enroll their kids in a body checking free environment (the cost issue obviously is another one).

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 07:17 PM
  #5
Canadiens1958
Registered User
 
Canadiens1958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11,483
vCash: 500
The Issues

Please read the following in order to appreciate the real issues - concussions, proper bodychecking standards and proper teaching or coaching of body checking:

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/story/?id=423976

Since the decision TSN has addressed this issue while illustrating inappropriate hits.

Hockey Canada is facing two major issues. Concussions and liability. Loss of players to the school sector during the last 10 or so seasons.

The two issues dovetail. The public and private schools that offer a hockey in Canada are quickly increasing in number. The schools offer vastly superior coaching - age specific educators with extensive hockey and academic backgrounds. The local hockey association cannot offer such a high level of coaching via "volunteers". As a result they are not in a position to handle the concussion issue as things stand. Until proper bodychecking standards and teaching techniques are in place then there is no point at allowing bodychecking before bantam.

Teaching youngsters how to give and take bodychecks is perhaps the most important element after skating. If not done properly then you see sad examples of Norris Trophy candidates who cannot execute a proper bodycheck:

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/story/?id=423976

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 07:53 PM
  #6
Sovereign
sic parvis magna
 
Sovereign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
would it not be better to teach kids how to give and receive a body check at a younger age?

Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 07:03 PM
  #7
james bond
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 560
vCash: 500
The decision has nothing to do with Hockey Canada. It is of Orwellian nature from political entities such as LTAD, CS4L (Canadian Sport 4 Life) and IS4L (International Sport 4 Life) who control the purse strings for Sport. These groups use sports to embed political beliefs into sport.

It used to be that sports were a vacation away from politics. Those days are long gone and are now more political than ever in a way to control and monitor people.

In this case it is believed that body checking is being removed for safety. This is falacious reasoning. Russia seems to be fine with body checking in peewee as does Saskatchewan in its player development per capita ratio. The truth is that certain politicos worry about aggression. These groups say that people who are defiant, are that way because of their past. By that logic, the mandate is to develop children who are passive, like sheep.

If players are taught properly at a young age this wouldn't be a discussion but we can't have that now. There is current discussion to remove body contact from all youth sports which would in turn leave the players unable to adjust to any real type of body contact at a higher age (players habitually putting themselves in a vulnerable position).

The question for the Hockey fan is what kind of product will show up in the next decade at your local are arena?


Last edited by james bond: 05-28-2013 at 07:13 PM.
james bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 07:10 PM
  #8
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
would it not be better to teach kids how to give and receive a body check at a younger age?
My thoughts too. A 10 year old isn't going to hurt someone too much, but with 4 years of growth that could change a lot. Without learning how to take the hits kids won't be able to protect themselves

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 09:21 PM
  #9
WildGopher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
My thoughts too. A 10 year old isn't going to hurt someone too much, but with 4 years of growth that could change a lot. Without learning how to take the hits kids won't be able to protect themselves
I'll catch flak for saying this, but why the assumption that 14-year-olds have to hit? Or 16-year-olds? I know someone who spends her days giving high-school athletes baseline psychological tests because so many of them will get concussions that they need pre- and post-testing to be able to treat them. Something's wrong with a society that insists on putting its kids through that, when all it has to do is return to the old idea of "checking" an opponent who has the puck, not hitting them, at least for kids of that age. A rugged game, a contact game? Sure. But build into the game the kind of hits that its now proven cause some kids a lifetime of brain damage? That's neglect, not sport.

WildGopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 09:28 PM
  #10
jigglysquishy
Registered User
 
jigglysquishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGopher View Post
I'll catch flak for saying this, but why the assumption that 14-year-olds have to hit? Or 16-year-olds? I know someone who spends her days giving high-school athletes baseline psychological tests because so many of them will get concussions that they need pre- and post-testing to be able to treat them. Something's wrong with a society that insists on putting its kids through that, when all it has to do is return to the old idea of "checking" an opponent who has the puck, not hitting them, at least for kids of that age. A rugged game, a contact game? Sure. But build into the game the kind of hits that its now proven cause some kids a lifetime of brain damage? That's neglect, not sport.
Because kids want to.

I played contact for three years. I have zero regrets. I miss the contact as much as the rest of the game.

Kids got excited. It meant they were finally playing NHL-style hockey.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 09:33 PM
  #11
barneyg
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by james bond View Post
In this case it is believed that body checking is being removed for safety. This is falacious reasoning. Russia seems to be fine with body checking in peewee as does Saskatchewan in its player development per capita ratio. The truth is that certain politicos worry about aggression. These groups say that people who are defiant, are that way because of their past. By that logic, the mandate is to develop children who are passive, like sheep.
Nice strawmen here. "Russia seems to be fine". "Saskatchewan develops a lot of players for its population". The irony is that those are your arguments against "falacious (sic) reasoning".

The 2nd half of that paragraph sounds like a conspiracy theory, but I guess you can have a second shot at developing your point. Are you arguing that Hockey Canada's decision (which was preceded by Hockey USA, Quebec and elsewhere) is driven by the belief that children are going to be more passive if body checks are no longer legal in pee wee hockey??

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 08:56 AM
  #12
HugoSimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Keeping in with the business side of things, I wonder if there's a link here. Seems that there's articles and talk about how Canadians aren't enrolling in hockey, and yes the debate of whether the numbers jive or not goes on.

My angle on it though, how much of this is Hockey Canada trying to get more parents to buy the equipment/enroll by possibly removing an aspect that optically would encourage more parents to enroll their kids in a body checking free environment (the cost issue obviously is another one).
You also gotta keep in mind that many parents see enrolling their kids in hockey as a waste of time, if their kid are not likely to be over 6 foot. If your kid isn't 90th percentile big checking is a huge barrier to competitive play. How competitive can a sport even be if only 1 percent of the people are large and rich enough to play in a truly competitive fashion.

I'm all for checking but their should be some sort of limit set on how hard you can check someone. It's the 21st century some sort of motion tracking could easily force people to control their checking in lower age groups, until they get into higher end play.

HugoSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 09:09 AM
  #13
Slashers98
Registered User
 
Slashers98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,345
vCash: 500
Hitting is useless in pee-wee, very good decision by Hockey Canada. It's been like that for a while in Quebec!

Slashers98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 11:17 AM
  #14
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Because kids want to.
A couple of summers ago I was in the Caribou. Hanging out on a pub deck on a glorious weekday afternoon. Struck up a conversation with a couple of locals, where they explained their favorite source of entertainment was....

Driving into Williams Lake to steal some shopping carts. Bringing them up to the top of the mine road. Sawing off the basket. Bogarting a case of beer. Laying down on the shopping cart undercarriage and riding it down the mountain on the mine road.

"Because kids want to" - sheesh.

  Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 11:20 AM
  #15
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by james bond View Post
It used to be that sports were a vacation away from politics.
"The day you won your town the race
We chaired you through the market place..."

Don't think so, mate. Sports has always been inherently political.

  Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:18 AM
  #16
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,293
vCash: 500
I thought they wanted to put hitting for younger kids so they can learn to master it?

My nephew is starting pee-wee next year and he could not wait to hit. Hell even on his level it's pretty physical.

Hockey Canada is run by wusses. Nicholson, Branch, they are a detriment to hockey.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.