HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

How to improve NBCSN

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2013, 06:51 PM
The Korean*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
How to improve NBCSN

Why doesnt NBC create NBCSN 2? Like ESPN 2.

They seem to need it if they are interested in attracting more TV rights to sports leagues other than NHL.

Would really help make them more attractive. Does NBC really need CNBC AND MSNBC? I dont see the need for CNBC. Whats there to watch on that?

Last edited by The Korean*: 05-28-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old
05-23-2013, 06:56 PM
joelef

I wouldnt be surprised the NBC Universal sports becomes NBCSN 2 however they dont have the inventory for a sucessiful second channel.

Old
05-23-2013, 07:32 PM
The Korean*

Thats why they have to make themself look more attractive to leagues Even MLS and NLL.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:10 PM
scotchex

Not sure if you're serious or joking about CNBC.
Kinda sounds like your're suggesting the #1 business and finance news channel should ditch that and focus on indoor lacrosse instead.
That's pretty funny. Just not sure if you meant it to be funny.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:17 PM
The Korean*

Half the crap on CNBC are trashy shows. All the good shows can fill up time slots on MSNBC.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:39 PM
scotchex

Ah. So you are serious. Well, good luck with that.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:53 PM
The Korean*

I honestly dont see the need for both MSNBC and CNBC.

Both average low ratings anyway.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:09 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 50
MSNBC is a news channel. CNBC is a business channel (Consumer News and Business Channel). The 2 aren't in anyway related.

There is ZERO need right now for a 2nd NBCSN.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:24 PM
jiggsawpuzzle35

There is no need for a second NBCSN. They already have a hard time trying to fill the current one up with decent programing. The only time I watch NBCSN is for the NHL, occasional INDY races, and formula 1 races. I can't name any other show on that channel besides The Dan Patrick show.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:36 PM
The Korean*

^Its about the future. And NBC needs to work on their sports programing as well.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:59 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
They barely have enough programming for NBCSN. Adding a second channel without any programming to put on it is a waste.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:10 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
It took ESPN over a decade to get popular enough to warrant launching a second channel. NBCSN is nowhere near that point in popularity/market share at this point.

Maybe at some point down the road this is a feasible idea, but not right now.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:18 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

I think even FS2 is a bad idea and they've got way more than NBCSN

Old
05-24-2013, 01:56 AM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
MSNBC is a news channel. CNBC is a business channel (Consumer News and Business Channel). The 2 aren't in anyway related.

There is ZERO need right now for a 2nd NBCSN.

LMAO. I had no idea that's what it stood for. I did not know the NBC part had a different meaning. I thought it was just "C" (whatever I thought it stood for) plus National Broadcasting Company. I learn something new everyday.

Old
05-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

well, I mean, it was created with that acronym in mind

Old
05-24-2013, 11:38 AM
scotchex

CNBC and MSNBC are both owned and operated by NBCUniversal. Which is a subsidiary of Comcast. They are very related.
CNBC is business news, MSNBC is a proudly left-wing news/opinion channel.

CNBC is an extremely profitable channel. It is, by far, the #1 business and finance news channel.

Saying CNBC should abandon it's market coverage because "you don't see a need for it" is rather silly and just shows the OP doesn't appear to understand the basics of the TV business.

CNBC actually does have low ratings compared to the highest-rated channels. But CNBC makes a lot of money because:
1) News is cheap to make. Hire some smart people with good hair to look into the camera and talk about the news.
2) The people who watch CNBC tend to be much richer than the avg American. They tend to be in the finance industry (where CNBC is constantly on in the background) or people with sizable assets invested in the market.
3) Advertisers will pay a lot of money to advertise on a channel that has a such a wealthy demographic.

And CNBC already is used by NBCUniversal to air occasional sporting events -- like NHL playoff games -- on nights and weekends when the market is closed.

In my experience, whenever somebody says "I don't see a need for X" it's because they haven't put any effort into thinking about why X might be there in the first place.

There's actually a name for this -- the fallacy of Chesterton's fence.

Last edited by scotchex: 05-24-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old
05-24-2013, 11:41 AM
scotchex

The fallacy of Chesterton's fence, in Chesterton's own words.
----
“In the matter of reforming things, as distinct from deforming them, there is one plain and simple principle […]. There exists in such a case a certain institution or law; let us say, for the sake of simplicity, a fence or gate erected across a road. The more modern type of reformer goes gaily up to it and says, “I don’t see the use of this; let us clear it away.” To which the more intelligent type of reformer will do well to answer: “If you don’t see the use of it, I certainly won’t let you clear it away. Go away and think. Then, when you can come back and tell me that you do see the use of it, I may allow you to destroy it.

This paradox rests on the most elementary common sense. The gate or fence did not grow there. It was not set up by somnambulists who built it in their sleep. It is highly improbable that it was put there by escaped lunatics who were for some reason loose in the street. Some person had some reason for thinking it would be a good thing for somebody. And until we know what the reason was, we really cannot judge whether the reason was reasonable. It is extremely probable that we have overlooked some whole aspect of the question, if something set up by human beings like ourselves seems to be entirely meaningless and mysterious. There are reformers who get over this difficulty by assuming that all their fathers were fools; but if that be so, we can only say that folly appears to be a hereditary disease. But the truth is that nobody has any business to destroy a social institution until he has really seen it as an historical institution. If he knows how it arose, and what purposes it was supposed to serve, he may really be able to say that they were bad purposes, or that they have since become bad purposes, or that they are purposes which are no longer served. But if he simply stares at the thing as a senseless monstrosity that has somehow sprung up in his path, it is he and not the traditionalist who is suffering from an illusion.”
--

In other worse, don't tear something down before you understand why it was put up in the first place -- maybe there's something important you don't understand.

Old
05-24-2013, 12:14 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchex View Post
CNBC and MSNBC are both owned and operated by NBCUniversal. Which is a subsidiary of Comcast. They are very related.
I just meant from a programming standpoint.

Old
05-24-2013, 01:17 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchex View Post
CNBC is business news, MSNBC is a proudly left-wing news/opinion channel.

CNBC is an extremely profitable channel. It is, by far, the #1 business and finance news channel.

Saying CNBC should abandon it's market coverage because "you don't see a need for it" is rather silly and just shows the OP doesn't appear to understand the basics of the TV business.

CNBC actually does have low ratings compared to the highest-rated channels. But CNBC makes a lot of money because:
1) News is cheap to make. Hire some smart people with good hair to look into the camera and talk about the news.
2) The people who watch CNBC tend to be much richer than the avg American. They tend to be in the finance industry (where CNBC is constantly on in the background) or people with sizable assets invested in the market.
3) Advertisers will pay a lot of money to advertise on a channel that has a such a wealthy demographic.

And CNBC already is used by NBCUniversal to air occasional sporting events -- like NHL playoff games -- on nights and weekends when the market is closed.

In my experience, whenever somebody says "I don't see a need for X" it's because they haven't put any effort into thinking about why X might be there in the first place.

There's actually a name for this -- the fallacy of Chesterton's fence.
you could have saved yourself a ton of typing by just stating that both channels suck...Fox Business has multiple programs that trounces CNBC in ratings...CNBC will fade away and though sports is a dumb fit for that channel overall it is funny how they are playing NHL hockey on primetime for CNBC..not a good sign for its regular programming.

Old
05-24-2013, 03:42 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
you could have saved yourself a ton of typing by just stating that both channels suck...Fox Business has multiple programs that trounces CNBC in ratings...
CNBC's ratings have dropped - but they are still significantly higher than Fox Business News.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/tag/cnbc-ratings/
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...2-2013/183873/

Quote:
Live + Same Day Cable News Daily Ratings for Wednesday, May 22, 2013
P2+ (000s) 25-54 (000s) 35-64 (000s)
Total Day
FNC 1,480 275 582
CNN 441 150 209
MSNBC 367 109 160
CNBC 122 30 62
FBN 72 13 38

HLN 738 237 419

Primetime P2+ (000s) 25-54 (000s) 35-64 (000s)
FNC 2,695 454 1,000
CNN 611 201 324
MSNBC 622 188 269
CNBC 118 46 65
FBN 78 7 33

HLN 872 285 516

Old
05-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Off-topic, but why doesn't ABC have their own news channel? Fox has one. NBC has one. I guess I can count CBS since they have a partnership with CNN.

Old
05-24-2013, 03:50 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
CNBC's ratings have dropped - but they are still significantly higher than Fox Business News.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/tag/cnbc-ratings/
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...2-2013/183873/
I said certain programs

Old
05-24-2013, 03:51 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
Off-topic, but why doesn't ABC have their own news channel? Fox has one. NBC has one. I guess I can count CBS since they have a partnership with CNN.
they might have figured too much hot air already out there...no room for more crap

Old
05-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Yukon Joe

Quote:
Just guessing... but they don't want to be #4 or #4 in a crowded market.

ABC is part of Disney, and also owns ESPN. In ESPN they have the #1 sports broadcasting business. In Disney they are the #1 family-oriented brand. Why on earth would they want to fight it out over the shrinking news audience.

As for CNBC... NBC has put sports on CNBA in the past. CNBA gets decent rating, and strong ad buys, during the day while the market is open, but is a ghost town during prime time. They could put sports on during the evening. Only problem is there is very little cross-over appeal or cross-marketing opportunity between business news and sports.

Old
05-24-2013, 04:49 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
you could have saved yourself a ton of typing by just stating that both channels suck...Fox Business has multiple programs that trounces CNBC in ratings...CNBC will fade away and though sports is a dumb fit for that channel overall it is funny how they are playing NHL hockey on primetime for CNBC..not a good sign for its regular programming.
They've never really had a night schedule. They're using the playoffs to promote their news 'CNBC Prime' block. Before, they basically cut off at 6p and just showed whatever.

Quote:
CBS Corp and Time Warner are in no way related or partners.

Closed Thread