HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL to Expand 2 teams in Canada - THN

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Hamilton Tigers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Hamilton people just can't accept, Buffalo is to dependent on the Niagara hamilton region.
That's cuz it ain't true.

85% of their STHs are from the U.S. and they have a waiting list of thousands.

Totally not dependant on Hamilton/Niagara.

Old
10-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Shawa666

vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
I am curious though, why does everyone assume Seattle would be a great hockey market?
I know they are getting a new arena, but I've never seen Seattle as some huge untapped hockey market. They would be pretty far behind the Mariners, Seahawks, NBA team, Huskies.
Because the T-Birds do have good attendences in the WHL.

Old
10-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicGingy View Post
I believe a lot of people would look down at another attempt of expansion in Atlanta. I believe both times the fans were kinda screwed over... but the third time will not be the charm. Atlanta simply isn't a hockey city, and while there are some loyal fans, there probably will never be enough to support them well.
That's why it would have to happen in the next expansion, or never at all. Right now everyone knows the explanation and it has a much better chance of being accepted. But with ASG in place it obviously can't be anytime soon and the longer it takes to get back there, the less appealing the thought of it will become.

So I agree, Atlanta will probably never happen again.

Old
10-11-2012, 06:46 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

Hamilton does not have the corporate revenue.
Markham does.
case closed.

10-11-2012, 06:57 PM
scotchex

One problem with Seattle would be launching a new NBA and NHL franchise in the same city in the same year would be a bad idea. The new Supersonics would get all the media attention. Better to spread them out by a year or two.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:02 PM
JMROWE

Hamilton would have plenty of corprate support for an NHL. team just not in Hamilton but Niagara region , Southwestern Ontario & some parts of the GTA. so don't give me that crap that Hamilton dose not have the corprate support for NHL. team & another thing Hamilton is booming right now with investment & construction projects going on all over the city in which Hamilton is the #1 in Ontario & 3rd nation wide in which to invest in .

Old
10-11-2012, 07:06 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchex View Post
One problem with Seattle would be launching a new NBA and NHL franchise in the same city in the same year would be a bad idea. The new Supersonics would get all the media attention. Better to spread them out by a year or two.
Its very unlikely we'll get both teams at the same time.

That's why it went from requiring both before the arena is built to only requiring the NBA.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:08 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
title should read "How the hockey news will continue to sell magazines while the country stops caring about hockey for a year"

10-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
The last thing this league needs is more teams
Actually, the last thing the league needs is a work stoppage.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
I am curious though, why does everyone assume Seattle would be a great hockey market?
I know they are getting a new arena, but I've never seen Seattle as some huge untapped hockey market. They would be pretty far behind the Mariners, Seahawks, NBA team, Huskies.
People who know nothing about Seattle always say it will be a great hockey market. Those of us that have spent a lot of time in Seattle know the truth - hockey will get killed there. Unless they are Stanley Cup contenders, they will struggle mightily to sell tickets.

Seattle loves its basketball and football and has a strong following in baseball and soccer. Hockey would be the red-headed step child that gets the leftovers. Seattle is as much a hockey market as is Miami or Phoenix.

Last edited by Ogopogo*: 10-11-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old
10-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Hamilton Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuuq View Post
Hamilton does not have the corporate revenue.
Of course they do . There are plenty of corps within and outside the GTA that can't "'get into" sponsoring the Leafs. They are not limited by municipal boundaries.

Why else did the NHL's own experts say such a team would be among the top 5 in the league?

Quote:
Hamilton would be among top five in revenue, NHL admits
Quote:
The NHL put a price tag of between $261 million and $279 on the value of a hockey team in Hamilton, and a franchise there would be among the top five in league revenues, according to confidential documents that were released in court
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/693658

Last edited by Hamilton Tigers: 10-11-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old
10-11-2012, 07:25 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
People who know nothing about Seattle always say it will be a great hockey market. Those of us that have spent a lot of time in Seattle know the truth - hockey will get killed there. Unless they are Stanley Cup contenders, they will struggle mightily to sell tickets.

Seattle loves its basketball and football and has a strong following in baseball and soccer. Hockey would be the red-headed step child that gets the leftovers. Seattle is as much a hockey market as it Miami or Phoenix.
That is a bunch of bull. You have no idea how a NHL team would do here cause we never had a team before. Hell if it wasn't for the arena problem we would have a team right now. Seattle would have the advantage of being the only US city in the pacific northwest that has pro hockey. People who live up in the northwest will be able to go to games and I'm not just talking about the entire state of Washington but Oregon, Alaska, Idaho and maybe Montana heck even Canuck fans.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
That is a bunch of bull. You have no idea how a NHL team would do here cause we never had a team before. Hell if it wasn't for the arena problem we would have a team right now.
And the Thunderbirds average what...? Exactly. Not a hockey town.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:29 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
And the Thunderbirds average what...? Exactly. Not a hockey town.

Thunderbirds are a WHL team in an arena that only seats 6k. So Sounders only had average of 4k while they were in USL does that mean we aren't a soccer town? NHL and WHL are completely different level of hockey. Do not compare the two. FYI we have two WHL teams in the western Washington area.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Thunderbirds are a WHL team in an arena that only seats 6k. So Sounders only had average of 4k while they were in USL does that mean we aren't a soccer town? NHL and WHL are completely different level of hockey. Do not compare the two.
Funny, the Thunderbirds average 2,000 per game. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/ar...p/t-25711.html

Sounds like their home arena has 4,000 seats too many.

For the top level of hockey in a metro area of approx 3 million, that is brutal.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:39 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Funny, the Thunderbirds average 2,000 per game. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/ar...p/t-25711.html

Sounds like their home arena has 4,000 seats too many.

For the top level of hockey in a metro area of approx 3 million, that is brutal.
Those numbers are 10 years old....

Been averaging around 4,000 this season.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:44 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Those numbers are 10 years old....

Been averaging around 4,000 this season.
Don't forget about the silvertips.

Thunderbirds were doing about the same as the sounders were in their USL days. Seattle isn't much of minor league city. Sounders went from 4k to 26k their first season as MLS. I don't see how we couldn't see 4k for hockey to 17.5k for NHL hockey.

I just don't see how you can compare jr league hockey that has 17-19 year olds talent to a league that has some of the best hockey talent in the world.

Last edited by gstommylee: 10-11-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old
10-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Don't forget about the silvertips.

Thunderbirds were doing about the same as the sounders were in their USL days. Seattle isn't much of minor league city. Sounders went from 4k to 26k their first season as MLS. I don't see how we couldn't see 4k for hockey to 17.5k for NHL hockey.

I just don't see how you can compare jr league hockey that has 17-19 year olds to a league that has some of the best hockey talent in the world.
How many do they get to Huskie football games?

The WHL is where NHL players are produced, just like the NCAA is for football. If they get 60,000 to Husky football games and 10,000 to Husky baskeball games while getting 4,000 for Thunderbirds hockey, it is very clear where the loyalties lie.

Hockey will get killed in Seattle.

Old
10-11-2012, 08:03 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
How many do they get to Huskie football games?

The WHL is where NHL players are produced, just like the NCAA is for football. If they get 60,000 to Husky football games and 10,000 to Husky baskeball games while getting 4,000 for Thunderbirds hockey, it is very clear where the loyalties lie.

Hockey will get killed in Seattle.
Hockey will never be a #1 sport in this country. Why are you comparing hockey to college sports?

So all the US teams that have to be relocate should only be relocated to Canada and not any where else in US cause hockey is not a #1 sport in the US.

Old
10-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Hockey will never be a #1 sport in this country. Why are you comparing hockey to college sports?

So all the teams that have to be relocate should only be relocated to Canada and not any where else in US cause hockey is not a #1 sport in the US.
I wouldn't say all but most should.

Old
10-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:

So all the US teams that have to be relocate should only be relocated to Canada and not any where else in US cause hockey is not a #1 sport in the US.
Don't read what isn't there.

Fact is, hockey will struggle in Seattle as it does in other non-traditional hockey markets. When there are 6 or 7 options people would rather spend their money on, it is impossible for NHL hockey to be a success in Seattle.

Old
10-11-2012, 08:13 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
I wouldn't say all but most should.
True but still no one can judge on how good or not a NHL team would do in Seattle based on WHL attendance. Seattle as i said has never been a minor league sport city.

Sigh this is what i really get tired of Seattle getting disrespected.

Old
10-11-2012, 08:17 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Don't read what isn't there.

Fact is, hockey will struggle in Seattle as it does in other non-traditional hockey markets. When there are 6 or 7 options people would rather spend their money on, it is impossible for NHL hockey to be a success in Seattle.
So just cause hockey doesn't work in cities in the south doesn't
mean it won't work in the more northern US cities.

Old
10-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
True but still no one can judge on how good or not a NHL team would do in Seattle based on WHL attendance. Seattle as i said has never been a minor league sport city.
Sigh this is what i really get tired of Seattle getting disrespected.
So, how do you explain 60,000 for Husky football and 10,000 for Husky basketball?

Old
10-11-2012, 08:18 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
I believe that the NHL is seriously contemplating a two team expansion, but no way that they've already decided which two cities they're going to award franchises to. And, call me crazy, but I just don't see Toronto2 happening.

Seattle and Quebec City have are at the top of the chain, and if there are no relocations in the next couple years they'll get the two expansion teams. If a team does relocate, then the new second choice is up for debate.

Closed Thread