HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Cammalleri.

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2005, 01:57 PM
beerpaul*

vCash: 500
Cammalleri.

This guy never stops improving. I watched him play tier 11 junior for the Bramalea Blues for 2 years. He was a 5 times better player his second year as 16 year old. Each year at Michigan he got better and better by solid margins. Now he is vying for the scoring title in his second year(sort of) in the AHL. When will his Improvement cease? The way he is going...he'll lead the NHL in scoring one day(if ever the NHL reappears again).

Old
02-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Reilly311

It pisses me off that the Wings could have drafted him if they didn't trade for Schnieder that year. Oh well, they needed a defenseman that year....

Old
02-01-2005, 02:07 PM
hfboardsuser

Tier 11 junior? What, was he playing in a league that included the Ray Charles Music School Thunder?

Old
02-01-2005, 02:10 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly311
It pisses me off that the Wings could have drafted him if they didn't trade for Schnieder that year. Oh well, they needed a defenseman that year....
The Kings drafted Camm in 2001 . (They used the pick from the Aki Berg trade with Toronto)
Schneider was traded to the Wings in 2003. The second rounder from the Schneider trade either went to trading for Stumpel or Cechmanek. ( I forget which pick went where)

Old
02-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Chartrand

He'll have to step up even more now that Barney, Lehoux, Kostopoulos, and Smyth are out....four of the top-sixers.

Old
02-01-2005, 02:22 PM
beerpaul*

Don't worry...he will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHL MV
He'll have to step up even more now that Barney, Lehoux, Kostopoulos, and Smyth are out....four of the top-sixers.

Old
02-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHL MV
The King curse continues

Old
02-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Jungle Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
The Kings drafted Camm in 2001 . (They used the pick from the Aki Berg trade with Toronto)
Schneider was traded to the Wings in 2003. The second rounder from the Schneider trade either went to trading for Stumpel or Cechmanek. ( I forget which pick went where)
We got a 1st rounder in 2003, a 2nd in 2004, Kusnetsov and Avery for Schneider.
DT is DA MAN

Old
02-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Reilly311

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn

oops, I get Cammalleri and Tambellini mixed up all the time. Probably cause they both played for UofM

Old
02-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly311
oops, I get Cammalleri and Tambellini mixed up all the time. Probably cause they both played for UofM
And they are both short

Old
02-01-2005, 05:06 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
It's easier for a shorter player to tear up the AHL. How will Cammalleri be able to adjust to the more physical NHL?

Old
02-01-2005, 05:34 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV
It's easier for a shorter player to tear up the AHL. How will Cammalleri be able to adjust to the more physical NHL?
He had 9goals in an 11game NHL stretch last year... BUT consistency has always been abit of a problem with him -till this year...

He has only been held off the scoresheet a handful of times this year... he is legit now IMHO.

Old
02-01-2005, 05:54 PM
willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy
We got a 1st rounder in 2003, a 2nd in 2004, Kusnetsov and Avery for Schneider.
DT is DA MAN
I think Avery just might be the best asset out of the bunch. He just might very well be a future Kings captain and I'm being dead serious. I think Avery matured on the ice last year and by the end of the year he had all but taken over Lappy's spot.

Also, look at his numbers in the OHL. Avery (84pts in 61GP) put up better numbers as an 18 year old than guys like Petr Kanko (67pts in 60GP) and Dustin Brown (76pts in 58GP). He was always overlooked due to his size. I wouldn't mind seeing him getting thrown on a scoring line (especially if it looks like were going to tank the season anyway) to see what he can do. He may be small but he is a tough customer who has a decent pair of hands. He did score 28pts in his first full season on a checking line. He's only 24 and could very well put up decent offensive numbers in addition to his feisty game.

I would like to see a Frolov-Conroy-Avery line. Avery can do the dirty work, Conroy's the playmaker and Frolov's the sniper. They've got some size, grit, speed and would be a good line in a defensive situation (ie. 1 goal lead at the end of the game) as well. I could really see Avery blossoming in that role.

Old
02-01-2005, 11:28 PM
bruins4777*

Interesting proposal, but given the NHL's stupid obssession with size i doubt it will happen. Also factor in, will avery be able to control himself given ALL THOSE MINUTES?

Old
02-01-2005, 11:49 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins4777
Interesting proposal, but given the NHL's stupid obssession with size i doubt it will happen. Also factor in, will avery be able to control himself given ALL THOSE MINUTES?
That was my first thought as well. He did do much better in the second half controlling himself, but let's not get crazy here(pun intended)

02-02-2005, 12:26 AM
Mxpunk

I love Avery and would love to see him get more time...However, I hope he will never turn into Warren Rychel, i.e. become virtually useless if he changes his game.

Old
02-02-2005, 12:50 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpunk
I love Avery and would love to see him get more time...However, I hope he will never turn into Warren Rychel, i.e. become virtually useless if he changes his game.
I doubt it, look at the way he responded at the end of last season. I think he'll be an effective 2nd line C/W at best. A Dallas Drake kind of player.

Old
02-02-2005, 02:09 AM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie
I think Avery just might be the best asset out of the bunch. He just might very well be a future Kings captain and I'm being dead serious. I think Avery matured on the ice last year and by the end of the year he had all but taken over Lappy's spot.

I agree with this 100%. Avery is the type of player that out grows his "indiscretions" and becomes a locker room leader. His passion for the game and his teammates is obvious. The incident in Phoenix last season, his statements questioning his teammates' (and coaching staffs) toughness, and the subsequent team-imposed suspension lead to Avery having a strong second half.

Prolonged exposure to a guy like Trent Klatt will only help him.

Old
02-02-2005, 08:52 PM
God Bless Canada

Cammalleri kind of reminds me of a Cliff Ronning type of player. Not big, but very fast and very skilled. He'll be a solid, consistent 70 point player in a defensive league for years to come.

Old
02-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada
Cammalleri kind of reminds me of a Cliff Ronning type of player. Not big, but very fast and very skilled. He'll be a solid, consistent 70 point player in a defensive league for years to come.
70 points? I'd be pretty happy with that.

Old
02-02-2005, 10:21 PM
maximil

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada
That's kind of what I'm thinking.

This guy has so much over all skill and touch around the net I'd be suprised if he doesn't become an impact player in the NHL. 70 points might be a bit optomistic but if he can find some good chemistry at the NHL level watch out!

I like Avery too. Great speed and shot. He'll probably grow out of being such a dumbass.

Old
02-03-2005, 12:30 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

...As long as Andy Murray doesn't try to use him as a checker, he'll be pretty good.

Old
02-03-2005, 12:44 AM
maximil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
...As long as Andy Murray doesn't try to use him as a checker, he'll be pretty good.

trust me when i say this. andy murray isn't stupid.

Old
02-03-2005, 01:00 AM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire

Murray tried the same approach with Cammalleri as he has successfully done with Frolov. You earn your spot through attention to detail and defensive effort. Pure offensive skill alone just isn't going to get you a regular shift on an Andy Murray coached team.

Unfortunately, the two players have different personalities and egos. Frolov has been willing to put in the time and energy, and Cammy hasn't quite proven that he grasps Murray's message, hence the 4th line minutes and shuttles back and forth to Manchester. Injuries have played their part as well.

Cammy's not much different from other players his age who have had tremendous offensive success at lower levels of play. I don't have much doubt that he will figure it out sooner rather than later, but I still see him as a tradeable asset.

Old
02-03-2005, 02:18 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland
Murray tried the same approach with Cammalleri as he has successfully done with Frolov. You earn your spot through attention to detail and defensive effort. Pure offensive skill alone just isn't going to get you a regular shift on an Andy Murray coached team.

Unfortunately, the two players have different personalities and egos. Frolov has been willing to put in the time and energy, and Cammy hasn't quite proven that he grasps Murray's message, hence the 4th line minutes and shuttles back and forth to Manchester. Injuries have played their part as well.

Cammy's not much different from other players his age who have had tremendous offensive success at lower levels of play. I don't have much doubt that he will figure it out sooner rather than later, but I still see him as a tradeable asset.
There's a major difference between the two. Size. You can't ask a guy Cammys size to battle in the corners the way he did Frolov. Cam already sustained two concussions playing AM's hockey, and that's not good. I would rather have a guy who is a bit of a defensive liability, yet can put the puck in the net consistantly than a guy like Trent Klatt. Truly skilled players are much harder to find.

Sure, every team needs guys like Klatt, but not every player has to play like him in order to win. You've got to play to to players strengths and not try and make every player fit some mold.

You see him as a tradeable asset? Sure, if everybody is. A guy like St. Louis didn't automatically get better, he finally found a situation where he was used correctly. 5 years from now I don't want to see Cam leading the league in scoring, and wonder why we traded him for a washed up player X.

Last edited by Legionnaire: 02-03-2005 at 03:46 AM.
Closed Thread