HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Mr. Hockey of Finland, Aarne Honkavaara dead at 91

Old
03-23-2016, 11:28 AM
hannes_ko

vCash: 500
Mr. Hockey of Finland, Aarne Honkavaara dead at 91

Mr. Aarne Honkavaara passed away tuesday. He was 91 years old.

We call him The Grand Old Man of Finnish Hockey. It's safe to say that without him hockey in Finland wouldn't have developed at the pace it did and wouldn't have gained the popularity it's now enjoying here. Had there not been Honkavaara, Gretzky would have played with a good Canadian boy as his right wing and Mike Bossy would still hold the NHL rookie scoring record.

Mr. Honkavaara was a fantastic player and great coach, but he only got started with those contributions. He was truly a builder of the hockey culture in Finland. He was pretty much the father of Finnish hockey stats and he was the main force behind the Finnish Hockey Hall of Fame. Although he was associated with the Ilves Tampere hockey club, he was respected by all Finnish hockey fans. I never met him, but for what I have heard, he always carried himself the way gentlemen do.

Here's the brief English Wikipedia article about him, though it really doesn't tell the whole story about this great man.

hannes_ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2016, 04:07 AM
Fredrik_71

Thank you for the info. Btw that was a ridiculous amount of points for the games he played!

Fredrik_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2016, 04:29 PM
Sanf

Yes this was sad news. Then again when someone lives to be 91 and live a colourful life I personally feel more want to raise my glass to his life than to be sad.

He really was father of hockey stats in Finland. He realized how important role the stats had to raise fans interest to the game. IIRC he demanded that every rink had to have their shot counters. Finnish hockey stats were in child shoes before him.

He really did lot to Finnish hockey in many roles.

Sanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2016, 12:49 AM
Killion

What role if any did he play in the Continuation War (41~44) with the Soviets? Where was he & what was he doing?

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2016, 01:45 AM
Sanf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
What role if any did he play in the Continuation War (41~44) with the Soviets? Where was he & what was he doing?
Itīs been a while since I read his book, but IIRC first he was underage volunteer in some roles. Then he actually went to an army and after that serving in frontline in "Anti-tank warfare company". (Donīt know its english name)

Players got small vacations that they could participate to games sometimes, but almost all of them were soldiers.

Last edited by Sanf: 03-25-2016 at 07:33 AM.
Sanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2016, 01:02 PM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanf View Post
Itīs been a while since I read his book, but IIRC first he was underage volunteer in some roles. Then he actually went to an army and after that serving in frontline in "Anti-tank warfare company". (Donīt know its english name)

Players got small vacations that they could participate to games sometimes, but almost all of them were soldiers.
Fascinating period of Finnish history, absolutely everyone affected and he was obviously
of service age. Some horrifying stories. I knew some Finn's who'd lived it. Incredible.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote