HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

HOH Top 40 Goaltenders of All Time

Old
10-02-2016, 09:45 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Lindbergh started half of his team's games in one (1) season. No matter how good that season was, it doesn't qualify him for the top-40 all time.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2017, 05:50 PM
ResilientBeast
ATD Draft Czar

vCash: 50
So of goaltenders currently playing, that didn't make the list who do you think has the best shot?

Price? Bobrovsky? Dubnyk? Rask?

Last edited by ResilientBeast: 01-03-2017 at 05:55 PM.
ResilientBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2017, 06:13 PM
MXD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
So of goaltenders currently playing, that didn't make the list who do you think has the best shot?

Ultimately or as of right now?

As of right now, none. I can't say straight away that I'd rank any of them ahead of Kiprusoff, who didn't make it. That's the threshold.

Price is REALLY not far off, however. Way too premature for Dubnyk who's probably still below Jose Theodore at this point.

Ultimately, Price will make it barring... Something. Call me back when Rask is close to 500 games.

Last edited by MXD: 01-03-2017 at 06:18 PM.
MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2017, 06:21 PM
bobholly39

Price has more than a "shot". He definitely makes it. I think he's in it now

Lindsay hart count for a LOT. might have the greatest international career out of any canadian goalies too.

bobholly39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2017, 07:15 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobholly39 View Post
Price has more than a "shot". He definitely makes it. I think he's in it now

Lindsay hart count for a LOT. might have the greatest international career out of any canadian goalies too.
I feel like I'd have a high opinion of where Kiprusoff would be in a historical sense after 2003-04 and 2005-06 too. Carey Price is going to climb the charts. And fast (I probably said the same thing about Rask in 2014). But for me, I'm going to wait for Vezina nomination #2 before I put him on the board. Kiprusoff, Carey, and Theodore have me nervous about ranking goaltenders before they're mostly spent. Hell, look at how restrained I was with Luongo. That's a #15-25 goalie for me now.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2017, 08:02 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
I feel like I'd have a high opinion of where Kiprusoff would be in a historical sense after 2003-04 and 2005-06 too. Carey Price is going to climb the charts. And fast (I probably said the same thing about Rask in 2014). But for me, I'm going to wait for Vezina nomination #2 before I put him on the board. Kiprusoff, Carey, and Theodore have me nervous about ranking goaltenders before they're mostly spent. Hell, look at how restrained I was with Luongo. That's a #15-25 goalie for me now.
Let's be clear : Price doesn't need Vezina nomination #2 to get on the board. I can't name, on top of my head and with the notable exception of Marty Turco, a modern goalie who was Top-5 for three seasons and has been kept out. And there are very good reasons to not take Turco's AS/Vezina votes at face value (and to have Price ahead of Turco)

It's just that, it's probably the difference between getting on the board as soon as this season and getting there in five years.

Old
01-03-2017, 08:14 PM
Mike Farkas
Grace Personified

Dubnyk...? What in blue blazes...? Absolutely not and probably never.

YouTube Channel: The Two-Line Pass - Hockey news, knowledge, video breakdowns and more: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKAI...52Q577Q/videos

Latest installment:Ep. 4 - Brady Skjei Evaluation
Mike Farkas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2017, 08:22 PM
ResilientBeast
ATD Draft Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Dubnyk...? What in blue blazes...? Absolutely not and probably never.
Just mentioned the ones who are currently at the top of the Vezina race

Last edited by ResilientBeast: 01-04-2017 at 09:14 AM.
ResilientBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2017, 08:41 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Let's be clear : Price doesn't need Vezina nomination #2 to get on the board. I can't name, on top of my head and with the notable exception of Marty Turco, a modern goalie who was Top-5 for three seasons and has been kept out. And there are very good reasons to not take Turco's AS/Vezina votes at face value (and to have Price ahead of Turco)

It's just that, it's probably the difference between getting on the board as soon as this season and getting there in five years.
Haven't we sort of been discussing a few (in addition to Turco)?

Miikka Kiprusoff: 2004, 2006, 2007
Tuukka Rask: 2010, 2013, 2014

Even Mike Liut landed on there right at #40, and he has no less than three (serious Hart support too), and maybe even four: 1980, 1981, 1987, 1990.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2017, 08:58 PM
MXD

Quote:

Even Mike Liut landed on there right at #40, and he has no less than three (serious Hart support too), and maybe even four: 1980, 1981, 1987, 1990.
I mean, OTHER than Kiprusoff...
(Rask is a technicality -- only has two Top-5 Vezina finishes, but 3 AS Top-5 finishes).

And there are also reasons to not bother about 1990 for Liut, either.

Old
01-04-2017, 01:46 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
Just mentioned the ones who are currently at the top of the Norris race
That's a funny way to spell "Vezina".

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2017, 11:01 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:

Quote:
I mean, OTHER than Kiprusoff...
(Rask is a technicality -- only has two Top-5 Vezina finishes, but 3 AS Top-5 finishes).

And there are also reasons to not bother about 1990 for Liut, either.
I think you're both zeroing in on a conclusion that Price is currently in a sort of grey area where he's not clearly out or clearly in. Which means it shouldn't take much of a nudge for him to be clearly in.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2017, 11:12 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I think you're both zeroing in on a conclusion that Price is currently in a sort of grey area where he's not clearly out or clearly in. Which means it shouldn't take much of a nudge for him to be clearly in.
And that was basically my point.

For all I care, Price only has to be a slightly above-average NHL netminder for the next few years to make it. Of course he can also be a sure-shot as soon as the very end of the current season.

Old
01-04-2017, 12:04 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Price?

I began to be a Habs fan in 1977. My first hockey hero was Dryden.

I am... **** ...er,... "taken back" by such comments.
  • Yes, he was the best goaltender for ONE season (2014-15) (It was his ONLY Vezina finalist season.).
  • Yes, he was very good in the 2010-11 season when he finished first in team wins, 2nd in shots against and save percentage.
  • Okay, if you insist, he was a good rookie, not a Calder finalist but the best rookie goaltender at the time.
  • The mere fact fact that he's a Canadiens goalie means he's the most overrated goalie since Huet and Theodore (notice a pattern?).
  • Nothing in this post implies he isn't very good; I'm just trying hard to not suggest he belongs in the same class as a Lundqvist or Rinne.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2017, 12:16 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Price?

I began to be a Habs fan in 1977. My first hockey hero was Dryden.

I am... **** ...er,... "taken back" by such comments.
  • Yes, he was the best goaltender for ONE season (2014-15) (It was his ONLY Vezina finalist season.).
  • Yes, he was very good in the 2010-11 season when he finished first in team wins, 2nd in shots against and save percentage.
  • Okay, if you insist, he was a good rookie, not a Calder finalist but the best rookie goaltender at the time.
  • The mere fact fact that he's a Canadiens goalie means he's the most overrated goalie since Huet and Theodore (notice a pattern?).
  • Nothing in this post implies he isn't very good; I'm just trying hard to not suggest he belongs in the same class as a Lundqvist or Rinne.

Sorry for not taking seriously a post that suggest Lundqvist and Rinne are anywhere close one to another.

But I'm not taking seriously a post that suggest Lundqvist and Rinne are anywhere close one to another.

And Lundqvist is... errhhmm... a Top-40 goaltender of all-time.

Price and Rinne could be considered close if the whole idea of consistency is thrown out of the window. Price didn't have a below-average season since he's 26. AT 26, Rinne was just becoming an NHL'er. Since then Rinne also had more below-average season than Price did in his whole career.

I mean, I can get the general idea that Price and Rinne are sortof close. Just remember to rank Ed Belfour ahead of Glenn Hall, or else you're being inconsequent.

Old
01-04-2017, 09:45 PM
KoozNetsOff 92

Quote:

I expect both Price and Holtby to be in.

KoozNetsOff 92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2017, 11:20 AM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

Quote:
Sorry for not taking seriously a post that suggest Lundqvist and Rinne are anywhere close one to another.

But I'm not taking seriously a post that suggest Lundqvist and Rinne are anywhere close one to another.

And Lundqvist is... errhhmm... a Top-40 goaltender of all-time.

Price and Rinne could be considered close if the whole idea of consistency is thrown out of the window. Price didn't have a below-average season since he's 26. AT 26, Rinne was just becoming an NHL'er. Since then Rinne also had more below-average season than Price did in his whole career.

I mean, I can get the general idea that Price and Rinne are sortof close. Just remember to rank Ed Belfour ahead of Glenn Hall, or else you're being inconsequent.
Rinne definitely was in Lundqvist’s league for a few years – or did he just look like it thanks to the Nashville phenomenon? – in any case, just being nearly as good as a guy for a few years doesn’t make you his equal on a career basis… obviously.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2017, 11:27 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Rinne definitely was in Lundqvist’s league for a few years – or did he just look like it thanks to the Nashville phenomenon? – in any case, just being nearly as good as a guy for a few years doesn’t make you his equal on a career basis… obviously.
Well, he was in Lundqvist's league (sortof) for the four seasons he was actually an above-average NHL netminder. In Price's too, even if Price's best is better than Rinne's best, Price's 2nd best is better than Rinne's second best, and vice versa.

The problems is the other seasons where he wasn't.

Old
03-26-2017, 04:16 PM
cupcrazyman
Chex Lemeneux

Price will eventually be added & it would help his chances if he won the cup.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2017, 10:29 AM
Eye of Ra
Mr.Negativo

Lundqvist had another good regular season and a good playoffs. And he won the gold-medal in World Championship with .946 and in World Cup he had .940. He still got some years left in him. He should be 11-20 when he hangs the pads. He have been elite 12 straight years with a awful defence infront of him and he has a olympic gold medal. Why he is ranked 38 makes me puzzled.

Eye of Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2017, 10:41 AM
Doctor No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of Ra View Post
Why he is ranked 38 makes me puzzled.
You didn't notice that the rankings were published five full seasons ago?

Old
06-02-2017, 10:48 AM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

Also, he did not have a good season.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2017, 10:49 AM
Mike Farkas
Grace Personified

Yeah, this was just about his worst year in the league...

Mike Farkas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2017, 11:02 AM
MXD

Quote:
... Which he just got, but to me it's a case of "Well, there's 1 and 2; then 3, 4 and 5". Not that the nomination isn't warranted, but it's a case where there's three nominees because somebody decided there should be three nominees at some point.

Quote:

...And regardless of the above, he's still getting a Top-5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Yeah, this was just about his worst year in the league...
I think this is the kind of "bad" season that isn't bad in any way for him (it might actually help him, because he was pretty good in the playoffs) -- it's not like Ed Belfour or Tony Esposito or Tiny Thompson didn't have bad seasons at some point either. And we're probably at a point where it can be said that Lundqvist is flat-out better than them as a playoff netminder, as opposed to just better (save obviously Belfour).