HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Autumn Thunder: Standing On the Shoulders of Giants

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2012, 05:35 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
The injuries for this Steelers team over the last 4 years or so has been incredible.

Old
10-15-2012, 06:37 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
I could see him being released on Tuesday. However, I think there's a small chance - and I mean very small chance - that he's not released right away or perhaps not released at all.
if he goes into a alcohol treatment program can he still be released? He obiously did something very stupid, but you wonder if he seeks help would the Steelers give him a second chance.
Put him on the UTPL and see if they can get him straigtened out.

Old
10-15-2012, 06:54 PM
JTG

Releasing him would shoot this team in the foot, so they better be damn sure that this guy is a rotten apple v. a guy making one horrible decision.

Old
10-15-2012, 08:12 PM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

vCash: 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Releasing him would shoot this team in the foot, so they better be damn sure that this guy is a rotten apple v. a guy making one horrible decision.
Releasing an unproven 5th round pick will shoot us in the foot?

Old
10-15-2012, 08:27 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
Releasing an unproven 5th round pick will shoot us in the foot?
A 4th round pick who is a natural 3-4 nose tackle who has a pretty good skillset. Yes. It would. He had a 2nd round grade in many of the rankings last season. Not mentioning, we now have to waste another pick on another 3-4 nose in the next draft.

Ta'amu is a very good football player, albeit unproven.

Old
10-15-2012, 08:33 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Quote:
I'd say it was multiple horrible decisions one after another. The first was drinking and driving, then fleeing, then almost hitting people, then resisting arrest. I'd be a little more understanding of a mistake if it was, "I had some drinks and got nailed for DUI with no incident", but all this other **** was way overboard. He could have been shot for almost running over police for christs sake.

I want the guy as a player too, but if any one of us would have done this we'd be fired no matter how good we were at our job, no questions asked. This is no different IMO.

Old
10-15-2012, 08:34 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
I'd say it was multiple horrible decisions one after another. The first was drinking and driving, then fleeing, then almost hitting people, then resisting arrest. I'd be a little more understanding of a mistake if it was, "I had some drinks and got nailed for DUI with no incident", but all this other **** was way overboard. He could have been shot for almost running over police for christs sake.

I want the guy as a player too, but if any one of us would have done this we'd be fired no matter how good we were at our job, no questions asked. This is no different IMO.
Well when you're drunk all logic and reasoning gets thrown out the window.

Old
10-15-2012, 08:39 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

I know all about drunks, believe me, haha. It's still not an excuse for what he did, though. You wouldn't allow wife beaters to use that excuse.

Old
10-15-2012, 08:47 PM
JTG

Not one single person is excusing it. It's inexcusable. If the kid had a track record, I'd probably say **** can him immediately, but from everything I've ever read/heard about the kid...this is an outlier.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:25 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Ryan Vogelsong pitching a beauty in the LCS against the reigning World Series champs.

Love being a Pirates fan.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:41 PM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

vCash: 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Ryan Vogelsong pitching a beauty in the LCS against the reigning World Series champs.

Love being a Pirates fan.
Living in Bay Area, there is a plethora of bandwagon fans. I hope that the Cardinals win the series because SF celebrating another World Series win would depress the hell out of me.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:53 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
I know all about drunks, believe me, haha. It's still not an excuse for what he did, though. You wouldn't allow wife beaters to use that excuse.
No but once you get drunk then all bets are off. Even still not all wife beaters are drunk and even if they are they usually have issues when they aren't drunk too.

You're still responsible for getting that drunk in the first place though.

Old
10-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
jesus. Ol' Fivehead McBrokeneck with the comeback.

Old
10-16-2012, 05:28 AM
Dupree13

Quote:
A 4th round pick who is a natural 3-4 nose tackle who has a pretty good skillset. Yes. It would. He had a 2nd round grade in many of the rankings last season. Not mentioning, we now have to waste another pick on another 3-4 nose in the next draft.

Ta'amu is a very good football player, albeit unproven.
IDK. From what I heard the guy was looking like a stiff. He had questions about toughness, consistency and desire which is why he slipped to the 4th.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
No but once you get drunk then all bets are off. Even still not all wife beaters are drunk and even if they are they usually have issues when they aren't drunk too.

You're still responsible for getting that drunk in the first place though.
This is a ridiculous statement. Do you do stupid **** that breaks the law and endangers the public when you're drunk? The percentage of people getting drunk is significantly higher than the percentage of people getting DUI's, let alone all the other stupid **** he did. Using intoxication as an excuse or justification is nothing short of absurd.

Whether or not they should release him from the team is another question IMO.

Old
10-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Sivek

Well, seems like the Steelers are keeping Ta’amu. Just shows how bad Cedrick Wilson and Jeff Reed were playing to get cut for their off-field discretions.

Final tally for what he did:

According to Gerry Dulac of the Post-Gazette, the rookie fourth-rounder faces felony counts of fleeing police and aggravated assault while driving drunk, three additional felony counts of aggravated assault for nearly running down police officers with his vehicle, and 10 misdemeanors, including resisting arrest and attempting escape. In 2009, Ta’amu was charged with DUI while a 19-year-old athlete at the University of Washington.

Ugh, pretty despicable they're keeping him since he has a previous history of DUI's. If you're caught DUI twice, then you've probably done it dozens of times without getting caught. Shows what a load of crock it is when guys are described as being "high-character." No one can accuse the Steelers of being on the moral high ground anymore.

Old
10-16-2012, 10:52 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
This is a ridiculous statement. Do you do stupid **** that breaks the law and endangers the public when you're drunk? The percentage of people getting drunk is significantly higher than the percentage of people getting DUI's, let alone all the other stupid **** he did. Using intoxication as an excuse or justification is nothing short of absurd.

Whether or not they should release him from the team is another question IMO.
I think you are completely misreading what I'm trying to say.

Old
10-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I think you are completely misreading what I'm trying to say.
Probably

I read it like "I'm not surprised because when someone is drunk, anything can happen". You did say he is responsible for getting drunk though. I agree with both of those statements but it seemed like you were saying that the drunkenness was the wrong and the other things just flowed out of that.

I guess my point is that from a purely legal standpoint, there is nothing wrong with getting drunk and many responsible people get drunk and have fun without the other illegal escapades. So really he is in the wrong for those other things. Would he have done them sober? No, but he still needs to be held accountable for the illegal actions and not the legal one.

It's really just semantics. I just found your statement odd.

Old
10-16-2012, 11:34 AM
JTG

Drinking and driving is very obviously an issue for him. If he doesn't get cut, there is no longer a leash for him. Ownership is holding him by his collar.

Old
10-16-2012, 11:39 AM
End of Line
Human After All

He's suspended for 2 games.

Old
10-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Yeah, I read some pretty convincing stuff yesterday about how it's the Steelers 'duty' to help him fix his problem and that things would only get worse for him if he were to be cut.

Let's just say I'm glad I'm not the one with my finger on the button with stuff like this.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
10-16-2012, 03:21 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

I think the wanting to "help him" bit is b.s. they know they need him, haha.

I'm just saying, if any other 22 year old employee of any other type of work did this they'd be fired...and rightfully so. I can't stand DUI drivers, complete disregard for anyone else's safety in and of itself. Then he proves it by fleeing and almost hitting people.

Whatever I guess. I just hope they seriously council him and cut him the next time he does anything wrong. Late for curfew, practice, a locker room scuffle, etc.

Old
10-16-2012, 04:50 PM
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy

Steelers are playing as the away team in London next year against the Vikings

https://twitter.com/XMorningShow/sta...22616920707072

Old
10-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Lame.

At least it's a road game.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:07 PM
DJ Spinoza

I don't know if baseball talk is supposed to go in here or not, but man, if Gerrit Cole turns into Justin Verlander, that would be really, really nice.

Closed Thread