HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Autumn Thunder: Standing On the Shoulders of Giants

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2012, 11:28 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 500
It honestly looks like Cincinnati has no desire to win this game. Between the play-calling, the missed tackles, the dropped passes...yikes.

The division was essentially handed to them on a platter with both Pittsburgh and Baltimore's entire defense being hurt...and they're about to fall to 0-3 in divisional play.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
10-21-2012, 11:29 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
It honestly looks like Cincinnati has no desire to win this game. Between the play-calling, the missed tackles, the dropped passes...yikes.

The division was essentially handed to them on a platter with both Pittsburgh and Baltimore's entire defense being hurt...and they're about to fall to 0-3 in divisional play.
they are still a bad team.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:30 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Dwyer has been a beast tonight!

Old
10-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

I like Dwyer

Old
10-21-2012, 11:31 PM
Sivek

Damn, Dwyer is looking good. He's had some really productive games in the few times he's had significant carries.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:31 PM
bradshaw06

nice game.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:32 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

good win. hopefully it gets 'em back on track.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Good second half at least. I wish I knew enough about football to know if we played well or if the Bengals are just bad. It seems like some of each.

Old
td_ice
Peter shows the way

A road win! Nice!

Old
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Dwyer seals it.

Old
OnMyOwn
Extremist

A lot of props to Ike tonight. Played a lot of press and had a great game against a top 5 WR. Also happy I picked up dwyer for fantasy due to all of my good backs being hurt or on byes.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Flat Stanley

Steelers won....on the road?

Old
10-21-2012, 11:43 PM
bradshaw06

Who dey

Old
10-21-2012, 11:45 PM
End of Line
Human After All

The offensive line as a whole played pretty damn well.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
10-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
The offensive line as a whole played pretty damn well.
Huge ups to the tight ends for that as well. Ben had time in the pocket and Dwyer was consistently being given holes...huge character game from the line.

The last 40 minutes of the game really were pretty damn good all-around by the Steelers. Any time your 3rd string running back gives you 122 yards on 17 carries you're going to win.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Good gut check by the team as a whole.

Wallace can still leave, and Mendenhall I think can be replaced by Dwyer.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:56 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Good gut check by the team as a whole.

Wallace can still leave, and Mendenhall I think can be replaced by Dwyer.
If we get offered a 1st or 2nd for Wallace take it and run.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:58 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
If we get offered a 1st or 2nd for Wallace take it and run.
Who the hell is going to offer us that for Wallace? All Holmes got was a 5th rounder and he had a Super Bowl MVP on his mantle.

Receivers never get fair value via trade. Odds are he's probably just a UFA at the end of the season...best case scenario we get a 4th rounder.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:00 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Who the hell is going to offer us that for Wallace? All Holmes got was a 5th rounder and he had a Super Bowl MVP on his mantle.

Receivers never get fair value via trade. Odds are he's probably just a UFA at the end of the season...best case scenario we get a 4th rounder.
Good point. Too bad Al Davis still isn't around he'd offer a 1st lol.

4 drops is inexcusable on his part.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:01 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:

Holmes was serving a suspension and they had to wait for it to pass before he could play, and I thought it was a 6th?

Had the Steelers waited until the suspension was over they could have flipped him for a 1st straight up.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:02 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

This season was going to go one of two ways as far as the Steelers were concerned - either Wallace was going to prove his worth (and likely price himself out of Pittsburgh) or Wallace was going to prove that he's not irreplaceable (and likely still price himself out of Pittsburgh).

The difference now is that Wallace has probably cost himself millions on the free agency market...but there are a ton of teams out there that will have the cap space to throw at a guy like him. He just won't get the pick of the litter anymore. If he's going to cash in he's going to have to cash-in with a fourth rate franchise like Carolina instead of Pittsburgh now.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:05 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Holmes was serving a suspension and they had to wait for it to pass before he could play, and I thought it was a 6th?

Had the Steelers waited until the suspension was over they would have flipped him for a 1st straight up.
No one was going to give up a 1st rounder for 12 games of Holmes, just like no one is going to give up a 1st rounder for 0 games of Wallace. Hell, no one even gave Wallace an RFA tender this past off-season...which would have cost a 1st rounder. The most value the Steelers were going to get from Wallace was if someone had tendered him.

Holmes was serving a suspension and possibly could have received more had the Steelers played the market...but they clearly just wanted to get rid of that headache and focus on drafting a replacement...had we waited to dump Holmes we probably don't draft both Sanders and Brown in that 2010 draft.

Holmes was traded for a 5th rounder, which was flipped to Arizona for a 6th rounder (Antonio Brown) and Bryant McFadden.

Receivers just don't get fair value on the trade market. Almost no established player returns fair value via trade. Teams either overpay out the ass for unestablished QBs or marquee names change hands for a couple mid-round picks. If Brandon Marshall only brings in two third round draft picks with two years left on his deal I'm just not seeing where anyone is thinking an unsigned Wallace is going to get more.

I can't stress this part enough...Mike Wallace is unsigned past this season. The only way the Steelers retain his rights next year is if we franchise tag him...something that we aren't going to be likely to be able to do just because of cap constraints. Wallace is going to walk at the end of the season unless he signs a new deal here and that looks highly unlikely at this point. Even without the cap constraints it's hard to imagine the Steelers franchising Wallace with the season he's having - he's just not worth the money he's going to cost.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 10-22-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old
10-22-2012, 12:15 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
No one was going to give up a 1st rounder for 12 games of Holmes, just like no one is going to give up a 1st rounder for 0 games of Wallace. Hell, no one even gave Wallace an RFA tender this past off-season...which would have cost a 1st rounder. The most value the Steelers were going to get from Wallace was if someone had tendered him.

Holmes was serving a suspension and possibly could have received more had the Steelers played the market...but they clearly just wanted to get rid of that headache and focus on drafting a replacement...had we waited to dump Holmes we probably don't draft both Sanders and Brown in that 2010 draft.

Holmes was traded for a 5th rounder, which was flipped to Arizona for a 6th rounder (Antonio Brown) and Bryant McFadden.

Receivers just don't get fair value on the trade market. Almost no established player returns fair value via trade. Teams either overpay out the ass for unestablished QBs or marquee names change hands for a couple mid-round picks. If Brandon Marshall only brings in two third round draft picks with two years left on his deal I'm just not seeing where anyone is thinking an unsigned Wallace is going to get more.

I can't stress this part enough...Mike Wallace is unsigned past this season. The only way the Steelers retain his rights next year is if we franchise tag him...something that we aren't going to be likely to be able to do just because of cap constraints. Wallace is going to walk at the end of the season unless he signs a new deal here and that looks highly unlikely at this point. Even without the cap constraints it's hard to imagine the Steelers franchising Wallace with the season he's having - he's just not worth the money he's going to cost.
Once again, thanks.

As long as he doesn't cost them anything let Wallace walk.

Would have been nice to squeeze more out of the Holmes trade. Their morals still would be intact.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:18 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I can't believe I'm doing to say the following things:

1) Lewis had back to back good games at corner. He's in there and battling with receivers. Maybe this is his break through?

2) AJ Green... 1 catch 8 yards. How in the world did Ike do that w/o taking 5 penalties?

Old
10-22-2012, 12:21 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I can't believe I'm doing to say the following things:

1) Lewis had back to back good games at corner. He's in there and battling with receivers. Maybe this is his break through?

2) AJ Green... 1 catch 8 yards. How in the world did Ike do that w/o taking 5 penalties?
Press bleeping coverage. Lewis isn't going to be able to keep up with most receivers on deep balls and Ike has been an automatic flag on anything thrown his direction past 20 yards this year.

The secondary was aggressive today and it worked. Why the Bengals abandoned the long play so early tonight I don't know, but if you're going to run 8 yard patterns all night on press coverage...well then your QB is going to be 14/28 with 105 yards.

The Bengals coaching staff deserves a ton of disdain for this game. Their play-calling was putrid offensively all night long and they didn't play this game with any sort of focused intensity.

Closed Thread