HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

N. Kadri discussion thread v12

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2012, 08:35 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
This might be true if the game was 60 minutes of powerplay

"Look up a winger's responsibilities"
Wait.

I'm probably not getting it, and although the world spins, this might be the first time being a perimeter player has been touted as a positive.

Kadri has to play a feisty game, and that doesn't imply being a perimeter player.

I've read here many times how he's not soft, that he can even deliver hits. Some usually post a youtube to support that argument.

If he's now becoming a perimeter player I wonder if he's playing injured/hurt?

It is early in the season, so we don't know how things are going to shake out. Let's give him time to get productive.

Perhaps he's just another streaky player, player of the month one month disappears the next month. You live with the good and try and mitigate the bad.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
10-23-2012, 08:38 AM
daveleaf

Guy just came off a serious shoulder injury in June and now, what, not even five months later we expect him to be Mr. All-world?

Nothing wrong with Kadri. When he get's traded from here some people will actually see how good of a player he can be.

Old
10-23-2012, 08:58 AM
SarcazemKadri

The skating/stick handling combo reminds me of Versteeg. This is Kadri's year to shine (provided we don't lock out).

Old
10-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Krazy

I like Kadri. He has always shown flashes of skill, vision and dangles that no one on this team outside of kessel possess. He could easily in my mind be a solid 2nd line center, if not a weak top line center (ie ribero). I just cannot for the life of me figure out why the leafs are developing him as a winger. I dont think that really plays to his strengths at all. He would play better as a center, and we need a solid center, but for some reason they keep drafting and trading for wingers, then turning our best shot at a center into a winger.

In the show right now we have

Lupul (28) Kessel (24)
JVR (24) Kule (26)

As potential long term wingers with Connolly/Mac/Frattin/lombardi taking up spots.....

Long term even if we dont sign lupes we have

JVR Kessel
Kule Biggs
Ross Ashton
Damigo Ryan
Deschamp Devane

and i bet i am even missing a few. If it were up to me, the second lupul and Kessel started to falter (like kessel bozak Kule) of 2 years ago

JVR Kadri Kessel would be my top line. Defensively responsible powerforward Solid playmaker and elite sniper all on one line.

JVR Kadri Kessel
Lupul Grabo Kule
Frattin McCl Mac/Connolly
Brown Steckel Komorov

Gunnar Dion
Gards XXX
Liles Komi/Holzer

Ideal world Holzer comes in as a defensive rock, and solidifies the top 4 with gardiner but I wouldnt put money on it..... Just need a 2nd pair solid defensive D and golden....

Eventually I would like to see either Mac and Franson jettisoned for a goalie (ie lou) or picks with Lombo and Connolly for picks as well. Heck Lupul too if he wont sign. Never lose anyone for nothing......

Is there a reason that Kadri is believed to be more successful as a winger?

Old
10-23-2012, 10:50 AM
ErikP803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
I like Kadri. He has always shown flashes of skill, vision and dangles that no one on this team outside of kessel possess. He could easily in my mind be a solid 2nd line center, if not a weak top line center (ie ribero). I just cannot for the life of me figure out why the leafs are developing him as a winger. I dont think that really plays to his strengths at all. He would play better as a center, and we need a solid center, but for some reason they keep drafting and trading for wingers, then turning our best shot at a center into a winger.

In the show right now we have

Lupul (28) Kessel (24)
JVR (24) Kule (26)

As potential long term wingers with Connolly/Mac/Frattin/lombardi taking up spots.....

Long term even if we dont sign lupes we have

JVR Kessel
Kule Biggs
Ross Ashton
Damigo Ryan
Deschamp Devane

and i bet i am even missing a few. If it were up to me, the second lupul and Kessel started to falter (like kessel bozak Kule) of 2 years ago

JVR Kadri Kessel would be my top line. Defensively responsible powerforward Solid playmaker and elite sniper all on one line.

JVR Kadri Kessel
Lupul Grabo Kule
Frattin McCl Mac/Connolly
Brown Steckel Komorov

Gunnar Dion
Gards XXX
Liles Komi/Holzer

Ideal world Holzer comes in as a defensive rock, and solidifies the top 4 with gardiner but I wouldnt put money on it..... Just need a 2nd pair solid defensive D and golden....

Eventually I would like to see either Mac and Franson jettisoned for a goalie (ie lou) or picks with Lombo and Connolly for picks as well. Heck Lupul too if he wont sign. Never lose anyone for nothing......

Is there a reason that Kadri is believed to be more successful as a winger?
It might be because Burke/Carlyle like their centres to have a more defensive mindset, and they feel that would take away from Kadri's offensive game. Myself, I agree he would probably be better off at centre, he seems like the kind of player who thrives on being constantly involved in the game and playing centre allows him that. Also playing wing would involve more battles along the boards, and right now Kadri's frame seems better suited to a more open-ice game. But hey, what do I know

Old
10-23-2012, 12:34 PM
Persuasion
Keep Kulie

What would happen to Kadri and all the other unqualified-RFA's if this lockout continues past July 1 2013?

Would the Leafs lose his rights or is the league effectively "on hold" with all current contracts?

Old
10-23-2012, 12:36 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persuasion View Post
What would happen to Kadri and all the other unqualified-RFA's if this lockout continues past July 1 2013?

Would the Leafs lose his rights or is the league effectively "on hold" with all current contracts?
I don't think they would simply be able to sign the player until the lockout is over. What happened to PK Subban's RFA status? Does Montreal still have rights to it?

Old
10-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Persuasion
Keep Kulie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
I don't think they would simply be able to sign the player until the lockout is over. What happened to PK Subban's RFA status? Does Montreal still have rights to it?
They offered him a qualifying offer (ELC+10%) prior this July 1st 2012, thus holding onto his rights. Kadri is in his final year and IIRC he wasn't offered a qualifying offer between July 1-September lockout 2012.

Old
10-23-2012, 05:03 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson3133 View Post
Do you actually have something to add or is this far beyond your comprehension level?
Beyond my comprehension level? Seriously? Try watching a few hockey games more carefully. Pay very close attention. Then re-evaluate your understanding of the various positions, and what being a 'perimeter player' means.

I mean, I'm assuming we're talking about real hockey here, and not, you know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Wait.

I'm probably not getting it, and although the world spins, this might be the first time being a perimeter player has been touted as a positive.

Kadri has to play a feisty game, and that doesn't imply being a perimeter player.

I've read here many times how he's not soft, that he can even deliver hits. Some usually post a youtube to support that argument.

If he's now becoming a perimeter player I wonder if he's playing injured/hurt?

It is early in the season, so we don't know how things are going to shake out. Let's give him time to get productive.

Perhaps he's just another streaky player, player of the month one month disappears the next month. You live with the good and try and mitigate the bad.
I dont know if there's anything to get. Somebody said Kadri is a perimeter player...another guy jumps to defend Kadri by saying that's what being a winger is all about It's not like it's a valid point or anything.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:17 AM
jughead42

zero goals, 2 assists in 5 games. That's an impact player at the AHL level if I've ever seen one. Small sample size, coming off injury, blah blah excuse whatever, it's still pretty crummy no matter how you slice it for a kid in his make or break season. I get the impression that some people will need to see him fail with Brett Hull and Rocket Richard on his wings before they catch on to the fact this guy isn't very good.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:28 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
zero goals, 2 assists in 5 games. That's an impact player at the AHL level if I've ever seen one. Small sample size, coming off injury, blah blah excuse whatever, it's still pretty crummy no matter how you slice it for a kid in his make or break season. I get the impression that some people will need to see him fail with Brett Hull and Rocket Richard on his wings before they catch on to the fact this guy isn't very good.
Your schtick was too old like a year ago. Let it go

Old
10-24-2012, 09:48 AM
jughead42

We're talking about Kadri's development and you're taking shots at the poster rather than the post. Can we just admit that maybe he isnt as good as everybody seems to think he is? I don't know how much more he needs to do to prove he isn't NHL material. He hasn't done much of anything at any level, yet he's being trumpeted as the savior of the top 6. Now he's starting his most important season at a sloth's pace, getting outplayed by guys like East Coast leaguer Kenny Ryan, and we're still sticking up for his "bright future"? I can contribute nothing to a minor league hockey team, does that mean I deserve an NHL job with the Leafs too?

Old
10-24-2012, 09:53 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
We're talking about Kadri's development and you're taking shots at the poster rather than the post. Can we just admit that maybe he isnt as good as everybody seems to think he is? I don't know how much more he needs to do to prove he isn't NHL material. He hasn't done much of anything at any level, yet he's being trumpeted as the savior of the top 6. Now he's starting his most important season at a sloth's pace, getting outplayed by guys like East Coast leaguer Kenny Ryan, and we're still sticking up for his "bright future"? I can contribute nothing to a minor league hockey team, does that mean I deserve an NHL job with the Leafs too?
Instead of just burying him due to your bias, you should really learn your facts. To say he's done much of anything at any level is just plain stupid. Everyone, and yes I mean EVERYONE on this board knows your schtick. You really dislike Kadri, we get it. But you're the type of person who is throwing him under the bus constantly for no good reason. The only person complaining about Kadri's game right now, is you. Eakins talked highly of him. Not only that but the only team hasn't been doing that well anyways. Give it up dude.

10-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Happy Fan
nifty

If only Kadri was pointless, Jughead would be creaming himself. What a tool.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:41 AM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

Quote:
Uh. Maybe 2 years ago.

This board is pretty much divided into "trade Kadri" or "Kadri will be a decent second-line winger."

Old
10-24-2012, 11:00 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
It truly amazes me how some of you guys play the "woe is me" victim, then make a statement like that.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Liminality

I wonder if Jughead actually watches AHL games or just goes by the score sheet.
Kadri has been one of the more creative wingers and it's been previously said that he's working hard but he's been snake bitten.

I still don't know why he hates him so much.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:23 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
I was just pointing out your lack of objectivity.

I'm not even that high on the kid either but I'd like to see him succeed, unlike yourself (who seems to have a vendetta against him).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
I wonder if Jughead actually watches AHL games or just goes by the score sheet.
Kadri has been one of the more creative wingers and it's been previously said that he's working hard but he's been snake bitten.

I still don't know why he hates him so much.
Haven't Kadri's linemates been shuffled around a little bit? Keith Aucoin is the one that appears snakebitten (one of Kadri's initial linemates). Give it some time and he'll be back, producing points.

Can anyone comment on the Marlies' powerplay production? I believe Kadri is the type of player who'll rack up points on the PP, ala Briere.

Last edited by GordieHoweHatTrick: 10-24-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old
10-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Wait wait I got this...

Ryan-Nugent Hopkins:
Zero goals, 2 assists in 4 games. That's an impact player in the AHL if I've ever seen one. Small sample size, coming off injury, blah blah excuse whatever, it's still pretty crummy no matter how you slice it for a kid in his make or break season. I get the impression that some people will need to see him fail with Brett Hull (Jordan Eberle: 1 goal, 0 assists in 4 games) and Rocket Richards (Teemu Hartikinen: 1 goal, 3 assists in 4 games) on his wings before they catch on to the fact this guy isn't very good.

Am I doing it right?

I am curious how many games you have watched to even stake such a claim. Keith Aucoin who isn't a prospect but a perennial all-star at the AHL level has 3 assists with 5 games played. So he is a fail too right? No? Yea I didn't think so.

In short, calm down and come back and post when you have actually watched games.

10-24-2012, 12:09 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

jughead has a personal vendetta against the kid. I really think Kadri did something to him/someone in his family because I haven't seen someone hate their own team's top 3 prospect so much.

Old
10-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
jughead has a personal vendetta against the kid. I really think Kadri did something to him/someone in his family because I haven't seen someone hate their own team's top 3 prospect so much.
I think we know who gave Kadri the 500$ parking ticket today.

Old
10-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
That parking ticket just proves that Nazem has a terrible character. Burke needs to get rid of this kid asap. He clearly is a cancer in the room. How can he sleep at night, knowing he took someone's parking spot? I'm sick to my stomach right now.

Old
10-24-2012, 01:25 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
That parking ticket just proves that Nazem has a terrible character. Burke needs to get rid of this kid asap. He clearly is a cancer in the room. How can he sleep at night, knowing he took someone's parking spot? I'm sick to my stomach right now.
Lol this is sarcasm right?

Old
10-24-2012, 01:25 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
The Habs will take him if you guys dont want him. I have only seem him play a handful of games but I would for sure give him time to develop. Not every kid can break in at 20.

Just let the kid play and develop.

Old
10-24-2012, 01:44 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Wilson, is that you?

Closed Thread